As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

About Game of the Year polls: Looking for volunteers

mccmcc glitchRegistered User, ClubPA regular
Hello The Penny Arcade. If you recognize me, it's probably because for some time I've been doing a yearly megascale "Game of the Year" poll on this forum. (200-300 nominees, each voter ranks their favorite 20, it spits out a ranked ordering of the best 200 or so games of the year.) I've been doing the poll since 2014 (ten so far!) and, uh, basically I'm coming by here to say I'm not doing one this year*. But! There does seem to be a core of people here who really like the GOTY poll. So I wanted to offer, if there is anyone here who would be willing to run the poll in my place, I would be more than happy to share the software and help you get it set up.

We will need:
- Someone willing to make a list of nominees. (My rules are usually: Non-beta release must have come out in America in the last year, no ports no expansion packs; with leniency for ports or expansion packs that feel like "full conversions", or late additions where the original was an omission in a previous year.)
- Someone willing to host the software. It requires a web server running PHP and MySQL. Whoever runs the thing will need to do some minor work at the end also-- the scripts spit out a results grid automatically, but I always do some simple ballot-stuffing detection checks and do a nice formatted writeup where I explain the results.

And if you wanted once you have the source you could maybe make any changes the community felt like, fix up my serviceable-but-creaky javascript or somehow link ability to vote to your PA forum login so cheat detection gets even easier. I dunno.

Anyway, what say you, PA Forums? If I upload the vote script source code to bitbucket, can y'all run the poll without me?

--
* (It's exhausting every year, and I don't really play enough video games anymore to feel certain about the quality of the nominees list I curate, and, uh, the less said about this last thing the better, but I've been one of the designated targets of something called "gamergate" for the last two months and it's leaving me just not feeling good at all about the idea of putting a bunch of effort into any kind of "gamer culture" event. :sad:)

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    aw man :(

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ya, sry :sad: Apparently 10's my limit.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hey mcc, this is Rorus Raz just saying thanks for running this without fail every year. Ten is a nice solid number to end on! That's a whole decade of running this thing, along with the special Game of the Decade poll.

I hope we can get some cool people to carry the torch moving forward.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I would definitely consider helping with this, but I probably wouldn't end up with the time to run it myself.

And it really hurts to read that last bit you wrote, but I understand how you feel.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I would definitely consider helping with this, but I probably wouldn't end up with the time to run it myself.

And it really hurts to read that last bit you wrote, but I understand how you feel.
    Would you have the ability to host the PHP voting script? I think that is going to be the most difficult part to find someone for.

mcc on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    mcc wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »

Would you have the ability to host the PHP voting script? I think that is going to be the most difficult part to find someone for.

Yeah, that's the part that would give me the biggest issue and is probably why I couldn't do it, even if I would really like to do so.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I can't run it either, but I'd be more than willing to assist anyone who does

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Maybe @DigitalSyn‌ could help out? He's some kind of wizard after all.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    @RandomHajile did varied number crunching with the results in past years, and might be interested, too?

Thanks for running it so long @mcc! It's been an enjoyable annual event in this community, and a forum fixture.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    @mcc‌
    Yeah, I'd be glad to run it... But I don't currently have a (good) place to host it. I have this creaky ol' Linux laptop here, which is where I host my sig and such, and my upload bandwidth isn't spectacular. Let me think about it.

And thanks for running it all these years. It is my favorite thing on these forums.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    (My rules are usually: Non-beta release must have come out in America in the last year

Could we please finally drop that rule? It's bad enough that those not living in the US get the short end of the stick when it comes to game releases, no reason this practice needs to continue in the poll as well.
    Just limit it to games that were released in all territories this year.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hey, thanks for doing all this. Both for running things for the past ten years (Good lord I now feel old) as well being willing to pass on your software so we can still have a poll this year. It's very awesome of you!

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Yeah, I always looked forward to your poll ever since the first year. Thanks for all you have done for this community!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Gutted to hear that last part, @mcc. Hopefully that whole reprehensible thing passes sooner rather than later. Much love.

Thanks for having hosted this for so many years, it's always been fascinating to see the results and the breakdowns. I'm sure it'll end up in good hands.

And thanks for being awesome. <3

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Host a PHP script, you say?

Paging @Infidel, administrator of www.padev.net!

Houn on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I don't know much about what's going on but if there is just some code to host for a community thing we could do that yeah. What's the dealio, pm me the details?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Maz- wrote: »
    (My rules are usually: Non-beta release must have come out in America in the last year

Could we please finally drop that rule? It's bad enough that those not living in the US get the short end of the stick when it comes to game releases, no reason this practice needs to continue in the poll as well.

That's of course up to y'all. I do want to note the reason for this rule, though: The overall goal of the rules is to give every game one chance, and give every game the most equal chance possible. So consider what happens if a game has come out in Japan, but not America or Europe, assuming (?) most of the people on this forum are in America or Europe. The game is now horribly disadvantaged because only a small minority of the voters possibly had a chance to play it. Say the next year it comes out in US/EU-- do you put it on again? The "no expansions, no early access, america only" rules really are kind of garbage and are impossible to enforce, but whatever rules you pick I think you want to avoid a situation where a game gets on without anyone having gotten a fair chance to play it, or where a game goes on two years running and winds up with its votes weirdly split across two years.
    Infidel wrote: »
    I don't know much about what's going on but if there is just some code to host for a community thing we could do that yeah. What's the dealio, pm me the details?

Super awesome! :D Let me put together a tarball tonight.

mcc on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

That's of course up to y'all. I do want to note the reason for this rule, though: The overall goal of the rules is to give every game one chance, and give every game the most equal chance possible. So consider what happens if a game has come out in Japan, but not America or Europe, assuming (?) most of the people on this forum are in America or Europe. The game is now horribly disadvantaged because only a small minority of the voters possibly had a chance to play it. Say the next year it comes out in US/EU-- do you put it on again? The "no expansions, no early access, america only" rules really are kind of garbage and are impossible to enforce, but whatever rules you pick I think you want to avoid a situation where a game gets on without anyone having gotten a fair chance to play it, or where a game goes on two years running and winds up with its votes weirdly split across two years.

Super awesome! :D Let me put together a tarball tonight.

But that's exactly what's happening with the current rule.

For example, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is being released this December in the US, but Europe and Australia are getting it in January. With the current rule in place that means I'll have no chance to vote for it, and while I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love the game I don't exactly wanna lie about having played it to boost its place in the ranking.

So why not just move the game to next year's vote when everyone had a chance to play it? Americans have to wait a year to vote for it but that shouldn't really be a problem since I've basically had to do it every year. Bravely Default was released in Europe in December 2013, but the US got it in February 2014, so it'll be part of this year's vote by the current rule. I couldn't vote on it last year, but I didn't mind waiting one year to give everyone the chance to play it.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah, Thanks for hosting the GotY thing for so long. I only joined the site in 2007(which is actually a pretty long time now that I think about it) and I always loved being a part of it. And thanks for being awesome and doing it this long.

• Options
    DigitalSynDigitalSyn Dr Digital Cumming, GARegistered User regular
    @Drake I am summoned! It looks like y'all may have found someone to host the scripts? If not let me know, I have plenty of everything.

Xbox360: D1G1T4LSYN ( Yes, those are numbers. )
    PSNID: DigitalX86
    Nintendo ID: digitalsyn
    3DS Friend Code: 5300 - 9726 - 6963
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D1G1T4LSYN/
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I could also probably host this at objectivegamereviews.com if we need a webhost. I don't know much about the technical stuff but I could probably figure it out.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    mcc, you're the best. Thanks for running this for so long.

• Options
    Okay! I uploaded the source code to the vote script along with a long set of instructions. You can find that here:

https://bitbucket.org/runhello/votescript

If you're not sure how to use Bitbucket, just go to the download page

https://bitbucket.org/runhello/votescript/downloads

And click "download repository".

@Infidel, is this something you can work with? You'll notice that administering the poll requires running a certain number of shell commands both before and after (there is a fraud-detection step which has to be done by hand) so if that is more work or responsibility than you want, we may need to find a different host.

• Options
    Awesome, I'll take a look at it.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Thanks again.

• Options
    So, with regards to security and PA authentication/integration, I already have tools that do thread watching and scraping to get data. @Phyphor is another person that is doing the same, he has a bot that watches and tallies votes for phalla games over in Critical Failures.

It wouldn't be too hard for me to adapt this into a thread-based poll, is that a format that could be workable here? Something along the lines of make a post starting with !vote and then list your choices (copy/paste from the list in the OP or something) and it registers your vote. The website would show final results and could display your registered vote to allow people to confirm.

This is (I think) different from the past in that you would publicly have voters and votes known ahead of time. If this was an issue, maybe a forum account and PMs could be used instead?

After somehow forum-voting -> database, the rest of the code could carry the tally and display still.

Thoughts?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if you want a secret vote then we could have a bot scrape the PMs of either a special account or whoever is running it and tally stuff as usual

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The best part of mcc's poll is the first round where you're just picking games you've played and it gets whittled down to a ranking round that has dynamically shifting positions. By voting via PM, won't we lose that?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    The best part of mcc's poll is the first round where you're just picking games you've played and it gets whittled down to a ranking round that has dynamically shifting positions. By voting via PM, won't we lose that?

Let me know! I don't know how these usually run as the poll progresses. If the results are updated real-time or in regular rounds that still can be the case, with public or private voting.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

Let me know! I don't know how these usually run as the poll progresses. If the results are updated real-time or in regular rounds that still can be the case, with public or private voting.

In the past it's just been one set of results after voting has ended.

I think he's referring to the page where voting happened, though. You could rearrange the order and have it be sorted until you're happy with it and submit it.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

In the past it's just been one set of results after voting has ended.

I think he's referring to the page where voting happened, though. You could rearrange the order and have it be sorted until you're happy with it and submit it.

The way it worked in the past is this:

Rather than writing our own lists, there's a GIANT list of all the games which were nominated to be in the list. People had the opportunity to check off which ones they were interested in, and then click "update" and it grouped those up top, with a drop down to choose a number placement. After that, you could Update at any point to rearrange them, or Submit, with only the top 20 being counted.

It's kinda how the netflix DVD queue works.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I always really liked the "pick every game you played (or care to rate) and then rank them" functionality. Now that this is coming fully in-house as a forum thing, I do think it would be neat if it could be set up to have people type in their forum name on the form, and then PM a validation link/code before it tabulates that person's rankings.

• Options
    The exact same page/code could be used to generate your rankings.

The rankings could be submitted via the forums for validation. (Copy/pasta from the vote site.)

What about that?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Another method continuing on with that, you submit the vote as normal but you get a key provided at the end.

PM it to a forum account to validate your PA identity, akin to email verification.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I was about to ask why you were so keen to force the interaction through the forums, but now I get it; you're looking to ensure only registered forumers vote.

If that's a goal, I'd say go for the key. Less chance of a copy/paste error mucking up your vote; let the big data go directly from the form to the DB, and just the auth token via the PM.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Another method continuing on with that, you submit the vote as normal but you get a key provided at the end.

PM it to a forum account to validate your PA identity, akin to email verification.
    Yeah, that's basically what I mean.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    I think I'll look into "PM verification" by adding a token and flag to each submitted vote. Really easy actually and will avoid the issues with intentional or accidental multivoting.

Thanks.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Looking at past polls, it looks like it grew into some non-PA areas.

Think it's an issue having it tied to PA functionally? It isn't like you have to even be active here, and forum accounts are free.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The last few polls mcc expanded it to her twitter followers and other places. I don't think it's a big deal tying it to here since mcc isn't doing it at all anymore.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Thanks a ton for running it this long mcc, we really appreciate all of the work.

I know a little bit of HTML and CSS, but certainly can't claim to be an expert in this stuff. I'd love nothing better than to learn though, so if there's a demand for general volunteers like that, I'd be happy to help.