As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Last [Movies] Thread, Part 2

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Snowpiercer is a pretty good BioShock movie.

Fallen utopia meant to save humanity that has a retrofuturistic aesthetic set in an unusual location with a morally dubious protagonist and an enormous plot twist involving the leader of the utopia.

So, that was enough to keep me in my seat. My issue?
    Too many ending. The movie honestly should've ended at the door to the engine. I also felt that much like Looper the psychic powers were a pointless distraction.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I always love the horror movies that are based on some kind of transgression: The idea that the characters should have known better, that they have committed an indiscretion, and that the horrible monster is completely in the right for anything it may want to do in response.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Fallen utopia meant to save humanity that has a retrofuturistic aesthetic set in an unusual location with a morally dubious protagonist and an enormous plot twist involving the leader of the utopia.

Too many ending. The movie honestly should've ended at the door to the engine. I also felt that much like Looper the psychic powers were a pointless distraction.

Sometimes it seems like it's not Asian cinema until someone has magic powers.

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »

Sometimes it seems like it's not Asian cinema until someone has magic powers.

It felt like it was a lazy justification for making the Security expert's daughter useful. And for that matter, if the Security expert was so dangerous, why not just kill him?
    Yeah, I know the whole train is falling apart and they need everybody they can get in case of breakdowns, but they seemed to be managing fairly alright.

Also, I feel like the sense of scale on the Snowpiercer itself was never very well shown? That said, I did like the weird culture that developed in the 20 or so years humanity has been just the passengers of the train.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So I know I'm late to the party, as usual, but that doesn't really matter, because Dredd was very enjoyable. I wonder if Karl Urban had muscle fatigue in the face during shooting because he kept that frown the whole through. And it was great he never had the helmet off.

Now I'm sad yet again we'll never get a sequel. :(

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Hey, cinephiles, film nerds, and movie dorks, it's time for another edition in our series of sophisticated punditry regarding the state of motion pictures. This thread starts in November, and this is what we have to look forward to in the coming weeks:

11/6 - Big Hero 6
    11/6 - Interstellar
    11/6 - Rosewater
    11/13 - Dumb & Dumber To
    11/13 - Foxcatcher
    11/20 - The Hunger Games Part Three Part One
    11/25 - Horrible Bosses 2
    11/27 - Imitation Game

Let's try not to talk about movies that have their own threads already, and as always, let's keep it civil and classy. Ask yourself, "What would @Astaereth‌ do?"

In Australia we don't get Big Hero 6 until boxing day.

What the F

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Hey, cinephiles, film nerds, and movie dorks, it's time for another edition in our series of sophisticated punditry regarding the state of motion pictures. This thread starts in November, and this is what we have to look forward to in the coming weeks:

11/6 - Big Hero 6
    11/6 - Interstellar
    11/6 - Rosewater
    11/13 - Dumb & Dumber To
    11/13 - Foxcatcher
    11/27 - Imitation Game

Let's try not to talk about movies that have their own threads already, and as always, let's keep it civil and classy. Ask yourself, "What would @Astaereth‌ do?"

What the F

The catch here is that in Australia, we're talking about kangaroo boxing.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I enjoyed John Wick more than NightCrawler but it is a far superior film. More of a showcase for Gyllenhaal and direction though.

A fantastic one. But as movies I give my nod to John Wick. As film Nightcrawler is the clear winner.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I always love the horror movies that are based on some kind of transgression: The idea that the characters should have known better, that they have committed an indiscretion, and that the horrible monster is completely in the right for anything it may want to do in response.

The transgression usually is having sex while being horny teenagers. :)
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    So I know I'm late to the party, as usual, but that doesn't really matter, because Dredd was very enjoyable. I wonder if Karl Urban had muscle fatigue in the face during shooting because he kept that frown the whole through. And it was great he never had the helmet off.

Now I'm sad yet again we'll never get a sequel. :(

There have been rumblings about a sequel. Still, it is wise to remain cynical until it appears.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Three Musketeers (1993 Disney version), I really liked it!

I admit to never seeing it when it came out because it was right on the cusp of the cynical 90's and I was all, "pfft, a Disney live action movie is for babies," and I think it didn't do too well back then either (but wasn't a Cutthroat Island), but wow if this probably had more violence than the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. And I think this is where their marketing failed pretty big. I was expecting sword fights to end with punch knockouts and props from the environment, but nope, they kill people. A lot of people.

They might not show a lot of blood but Jack Bauer is in his infancy here (complete with drinking problem), Charlie Sheen is Monsignor Martinez only french, and Oliver Platt steals scenes and shows us how cool a gun sword really is, take that Final Fantasy 8. And Rebbecca De Mornay is all nice and Tim Curry has so many excellent one liners, and Michael Wincott is the best of all as Rochefort (and I just realized he was in 24 Live Another Day so the cycle continues decades later!). The only downside is Chris O'Donnell being the lead character, and really can't land his role as teen heartthrob upstart musketeer. But everyone else is just so good it doesn't matter.

The film even has a french dandy played by a british guy hamming it up so it's double dandy replete with makeup, a move so intentionally corny the film is daring you to really get upset about it or just go along with the setup of everyone sometimes having accents, but the cool guys are the Americans because what, say something.

It was 1993 so some of the stunts are a little too apparent in stunt doubles, and only the DeMornay romance subplot actually deserves to be in the film compared to the others, but I guess that's the break of having to have Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart and Sting sing their super important rock ballad. On the plus side the sound editing is top notch, with a nice original score that should be pilfered more by movies and commercials.

Now I'm going to waste all this goodwill and watch that other Three Musketeers movie from 2011 by Resident Evil guy and gal.

• Options
    Orlando Bloom has such a good time in that version that I can never hate it.

• Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    This is the best three musketeers movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072281/

It's got a few odd bits, like some weird joke about washing a girl's feet, but the fights are the best and it's full of good fun. There's a couple sequels too: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073012/ and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098194/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Highly recommend checking them out.

Ash of Yew on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Three Musketeers (1993 Disney version), I really liked it!

I admit to never seeing it when it came out because it was right on the cusp of the cynical 90's and I was all, "pfft, a Disney live action movie is for babies," and I think it didn't do too well back then either (but wasn't a Cutthroat Island), but wow if this probably had more violence than the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. And I think this is where their marketing failed pretty big. I was expecting sword fights to end with punch knockouts and props from the environment, but nope, they kill people. A lot of people.

They might not show a lot of blood but Jack Bauer is in his infancy here (complete with drinking problem), Charlie Sheen is Monsignor Martinez only french, and Oliver Platt steals scenes and shows us how cool a gun sword really is, take that Final Fantasy 8. And Rebbecca De Mornay is all nice and Tim Curry has so many excellent one liners, and Michael Wincott is the best of all as Rochefort (and I just realized he was in 24 Live Another Day so the cycle continues decades later!). The only downside is Chris O'Donnell being the lead character, and really can't land his role as teen heartthrob upstart musketeer. But everyone else is just so good it doesn't matter.

The film even has a french dandy played by a british guy hamming it up so it's double dandy replete with makeup, a move so intentionally corny the film is daring you to really get upset about it or just go along with the setup of everyone sometimes having accents, but the cool guys are the Americans because what, say something.

It was 1993 so some of the stunts are a little too apparent in stunt doubles, and only the DeMornay romance subplot actually deserves to be in the film compared to the others, but I guess that's the break of having to have Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart and Sting sing their super important rock ballad. On the plus side the sound editing is top notch, with a nice original score that should be pilfered more by movies and commercials.

Now I'm going to waste all this goodwill and watch that other Three Musketeers movie from 2011 by Resident Evil guy and gal.

I too love that movie. It's light and fun without being silly and a great family movie.

shryke on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2014
    Dick Lester's Musketeer movies (the first two, at least) are phenomenally entertaining. The fights are all brilliantly choreographed to be exciting and realistically clumsy and haphazard, the jokes are often very funny (the script is by George MacDonald Fraser), and the atmosphere and costuming are wonderful (as you'd expect from Lester, who got the texture of these and Robin and Marian exactly right).

And the cast is incredible.

Charlton Heston as Richelieu
    Faye Dunaway as Milady
    Christopher Lee as Rochefort
    Richard Chamberlain as Aramis
    Frank Finlay as Porthos
    Michael York as D'artagnan
    Oliver Reed really stretching himself to play the drunk, belligerent Athos
    Raquel Welch as Constance
    Roy Kinnear as Planchet
    And Spike Milligan in the movie for no good reason other than he's hilarious

They remain the best Musketeer movies by miles and miles and miles.

Bogart on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

So a reverse John Wick.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I feel like I am the only person who doesn't like/get the Dumb and Dumber movies. People seem to think it's the height of comedy, but I'm left feeling revolted and bored. I don't think I've ever managed to get all the way through the first one.

Now watching the promos for this new one I can't help but think: "Jeff Daniels, you're a better actor than this." And "Jim Carrey, please go away and never come back."

For me, this comedy style is right up there with the "...and then everything is really awkward!" style of comedy. It's completely unfunny to me. Like my brain is miswired or something.

I'm with you. Watched the first and didn't walk out of it in the cinema but should of.

When I then watched Me, Myeslf and Irene I did walk out.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

That movie had the moment where my wife and I were squinting at the screen going "Is that Orlando Bloom?" and then later when another character turned up saying "Ah, no THAT'S Orlando Bloom"

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    I did the same thing while watching. "Man, Orlando Bloom is really flamboyant in this. Oh wait, this new guy is actually Bloom, and he beats the first guy in the over-the-top department by a factor of 100." I did enjoy the newest one way more than I expected to (helped by Ray Stevenson being in it) in a zone out-'splosions-LXG kind of way. Mads Mikkelsen was another high point, especially for someone who hasn't started watching Hannibal yet.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Julius wrote: »
    The Farrelly Brothers' entire schtick is based of gags. It's practically vaudevillian in origin, with every joke coming from something overt, and almost always physical comedy. It's also incredibly low-brow and scatalogical; think back to just about any joke in There's Something About Mary and you'll be hard pressed to find one that doesn't involve some kind of bodily function or reference to a physical abnormality.

Does this ever work for them? I guess it depends on your threshold for juvenile humor; I personally don't really care for it, largely because it's just not that intellectual engaging. To use Matt Stone and Trey Parker's instruction about setting up a joke, the Farrellys never seem to concern themselves with the more involving work of developing something for a payoff; it's all "and then this happens!," never "this happens because something else happened."

I don't respect their filmography much at all, though I have a soft spot for Carrey and Daniels performances in Dumb & Dumber, as they're both embracing their roles with reckless abandon. Will that still be funny twenty years later? Probably not, not the least of which because it never was terribly funny to begin with. It was a spectacle.

Their humour is incredibly juvenile but it is juvenile at it's best. Which is of course not saying much but at least it means that it's good for those people who are in that time of their life where they appreciate juvenile humour.

I have an appreciation for great movies, whether they be big sprawlers like Inception or something a bit more intimate like Aronofsky's earier things. But I also love me some stupid shit.

I like it a lot.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Uncle PK wrote: »
    Can we talk about the movie V/H/S?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaSUZnIztuY

What a nail-biter! I haven't been this terrified in years, and this is coming from a die-hard horror fan

It was kind of uneven, like the final act didn't freak me out too much.

The forest and the hotel room? Dear god.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

11/6 - Big Hero 6
    11/6 - Interstellar
    11/6 - Rosewater
    11/13 - Dumb & Dumber To
    11/13 - Foxcatcher
    11/27 - Imitation Game

What the F

Try February.

And we don't get John Wick until 2015 either.

FlipsTable.gif

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

What a nail-biter! I haven't been this terrified in years, and this is coming from a die-hard horror fan

On your request I watched V/H/S

Well, actually I watched the sequel.

I have to say, it was an interesting film (though I'm quickly tiring of "found film" horror), but it didn't really make....sense, I guess. I can appreciate the concept of the film, but I think all of the mini-films worked at cross-purposes, especially couched in the overall narrative of the movie.

I haven't seen the first one, so maybe it works better, but the sequel was very strange. I really enjoyed each individual film, for the most part, but I guess I really didn't enjoy the framing of the private investigator, and the final scene was just campy and stupid.

Anyway, all that to say this (in spoilers) about Jason Eisner's short film
    I really liked this! But I couldn't handle the dog dying at the end. That was nice, because the film did things we tend to stray away from in movies- killing kids and pets, but I admit it got to me. It made me deeply uncomfortable.

I guess I would recommend, if you could, to watch the short films on their own in V/H/S 2. I know Eisner's short is on Vimeo, but I don't know about the others.

Arch on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The segments of VHS 2 are in the order of
    bachelor, relationship, childbirth, married with children. The guy's vlog speculates that the videos are more powerful if you watch them in a specific order, hence the reanimation.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    So the past two weeks I've seen John Wick and Fury. I'd have to give the nod to John Wick for the lack of super uncomfortable dinner scene.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    As promised, here's the wrap-up post for Killtoberfest 2: Kill Me Twice, Shame On Me. This year was much more successful than last year, even if I didn't meet my overall (highly ridiculous) goal.

Here's the full list of reviews for this year (with links to my blog, not the posts, because those are easier to find):
    1. Jack Frost / The Conspiracy
    2. Picnic at Hanging Rock / Megan is Missing
    3. Gone Girl / The Haunting
    4. Shivers / Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
    5. Grave Encounters / Dog Soldiers
    6. You're Next / Hellraiser VI: Hellseeker
    7. Carrie (2013) / The Dark Half
    8. Fermat's Room / Triangle (2009)
    9. The Exorcist / Dark Water (2002)
    10. Pandorum / Pitch Black
    11. Looking for Mr. Goodbar / The Fury
    12. The Frighteners / Teen Wolf
    13. Frailty / Ils (aka Them) (2006)
    14. Education for Death: The Making of a Nazi / The Call of Cthulhu
    15. Yellowbrickroad / The Poughkeepsie Tapes
    16. Cronos / Something Wicked This Way Comes
    17. Hellraiser VII: Deader / Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper
    18. Burn, Witch, Burn / The Tall Man
    19. Bubba Ho-Tep / Detention (2011)
    20. The Thing (2011) and Evil Dead (2013)
    21. Night of the Living Dead (1968) / Eyes Without a Face
    22. Birth / Fire in the Sky
    23. Hellraiser VIII: Hellworld / Society (1989)
    24. Misery / In a Glass Cage
    25. Scream 4 / Hellraiser IX: Revelations
    26. The Bad Seed / Man Bites Dog
    27. Stoker / The Ring (2002)
    28. Let the Right One In

And here are my awards:

Best movie I hadn't seen before: Detention
    Worst movie: Hellraiser IX: Revelations (runner up: Yellowbrickroad)
    Best foreign film: Picnic at Hanging Rock
    Find of the year: Detention (runner up: Triangle)
    Scariest movie I hadn't seen before: Dark Water
    Saddest movie: Dark Water (runner up: Triangle)
    Funniest movie: Detention (runner up: Tucker and Dale vs. Evil)
    Movie that most made me want to stand up and cheer: You're Next (runner up: Fermat's Room)
    Image that'll take the longest to get out of my head: finding Megan in Megan is Missing
    Best genre blender: Pitch Black
    Best twist: The Ring (runner up: The Tall Man)
    Worst twist: Frailty (runner up: Hellraiser VI: Hellseeker, where, surprise! you've been watching the boring version of the story)
    Most improved in the last 20 minutes: Fire in the Sky (runner up: Megan is Missing)
    Best found footage movie: Man Bites Dog
    Worst found footage segments in a non-found footage movie: Hellraiser IX (runner up: Yellowbrickroad)
    Best movie based on a Stephen King book: The Shawshank Redemption
    Best death: Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper, where the bad guy is sliced open and then collapses while defiantly eating his own intestines
    Best orrery: Pitch Black
    Best last 15 seconds: The Fury
    Least like a horror film at all: Looking for Mr. Goodbar
    Best performance, ensemble: Stoker (runner up: Birth)
    Best performance, female: Diane Keaton in Looking for Mr. Goodbar (runner up: Lina Leandersson in Let the Right One In)
    Best performance, male: Bruce Campbell in Bubba Ho-Tep
    Best athletic performance by a werewolf (basketball): Teen Wolf
    Best athletic performance by a vampire (free-climbing): Let the Right One In
    Worst athletic performance by a snowman (moving): Jack Frost
    Best Elvis impersonation: Bruce Campbell in Bubba Ho-Tep
    Worst Elvis impersonation: TIE, everyone else in everything else
    Best Harrison Ford impersonation: Dennis Quaid in Pandorum
    Most surprisingly not terrible performance, male: Dane Cook in Detention
    Most surprisingly not terrible performance, female: Chloe Moretz in Carrie
    Sexiest piano-playing: Stoker
    Best scene: Mr. Dark in the library, Something Wicked This Way Comes
    Best cinematography: Let the Right One In (runner up: Evil Dead and Detention)
    Best sound design: Stoker
    Best editing: Detention
    Best screenplay: The Ring (runner up: Pitch Black)
    Best director: Chan-Wook Park, Stoker (runner up: David Fincher, Gone Girl)
    Best score: The Ring
    Worst score: Teen Wolf (runner up: Eyes Without a Face)
    Best production design: The Haunting (runner up: The Call of Cthulhu)
    Best remake: Evil Dead
    Best movie that happened to be a remake: The Ring
    Movie that most needs a remake: Something Wicked This Way Comes (runner up: The Bad Seed)
    Biggest value X, where X = (time between set-up and punchline of joke / humor value of joke): Dog Soldiers
    My favorite review: Let the Right One In (runner up: Triangle)
    Best movie that won no other category here: Night of the Living Dead (runner up: Ils)
    What should you watch on Netflix right the hell now: Detention (runner up: The Conspiracy)

Thanks again to everyone for reading, watching, discussing, and encouraging! Tune in next October for Killtoberfest 3: The ReKillening!

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular

That movie had the moment where my wife and I were squinting at the screen going "Is that Orlando Bloom?" and then later when another character turned up saying "Ah, no THAT'S Orlando Bloom"

You're getting your Bard's confused with your Legolas's

• Options
    Three Musketeers (2011), a cast almost on par with the '93 version, but wants to be the cool Musketeer film and falters a bit. It's not bad, but it's above average though you can see how it lost the marks to be in the good category. Not a waste of time but you're going to feel a little bummed when certain things happen.

The main cast is mostly excellent. Ray Stevenson is always a treat, Luke Evans psychs everyone out as Orlando Bloom until Orlando Bloom does show up as French Wario, Madds Mikelson is a good Rochefort, Christoph Waltz brings his own touches to being the Cardinal. Milla Jovavich is mostly good as Milady but it is very apparent she gets more screentime because she's married to the director and gets a lot of the fancy solo time because hey, it's 2011 women can do anything men can do girl power (this might not be the film's intention but it really comes across this way). Particularly in the first 2/3rds the film feels like it's cutting out moments from the big 3 and instead leaving in a lot of Milady stuff to show kewl steampunk stuff and feats that just weren't done then but Assassins Creed did it so it's totally accurate, which I'll return to. And the comic relief is very bad with James Corden, now anointed as the new Ricky Gervais by Hollywood, being the whipping boy manservant of the musketeers, with forced David Brent-like awkward humor complete with the durability of fat guy loser tossed in for good measure. For a movie that really wanted to be the cool kid at the lunchtable it does a lot of things that make it much more of what you think a Disney film is than the '93 version.

Like the 93 version Darquetanian isn't well cast, only double so because this guy really seemed like he never even did menial labor in his life, he's the sparkly vampire musketeer wunderkind. But unlike the Disney version this film pushes him a lot more, with a romance that never feels reciprocated, but the chick simply using the guy's desire for her to do the job she requests.

But the frustrating thing is that the film picks up a good head of steam multiple times then wastes it all a minute later because it's trying to be fancier than what the period calls for. You have all these elaborate traps done more to show off special effects than being practical, devices that I'm going to say are steampunk even though they're a little too soon because the film thinks it needs something to catch our eyes, so airships! Razor wire set up like laser beams complete with spy doing impossible acrobatics! Mission Impossible wire drops! Machine gun cannons! What also happens quite a bit is the film just drops plots completely to focus on the next thing, often at the expense of the musketeers even being on screen. The jokes about the french royalty being all silly in attire is good the first time, not so important the third or fourth.

And when the film ends it does the cocky move of thinking there's going to be a sequel so everything feels a little bit like a TV action drama. Just...focus on finishing the first movie strongly because it seems to wrap up 10 minutes quicker than what we get.

So in the end we have a movie where the cast does all it can to make up for the director's mistakes, but the Disney one is better. Now I need to see all the older ones, and even that Man In the Iron Mask movie with Jordan Bellfort.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Waltz was disappointing as the Cardinal, Tim Curry's over-shadows his performance. I felt no menace from him.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Well they set up the Cardinal for a lot more but he never gets to do anything. He was much more believable as the King's advisor, but then again don't show the Cardinal fencing like he's super #1 fencer and then not let it bear fruit.

All the villains kind of lost screentime in favor of showing the teen king with his weird mustache and pouting trying to hit on Juno Temple.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Well they set up the Cardinal for a lot more but he never gets to do anything. He was much more believable as the King's advisor, but then again don't show the Cardinal fencing like he's super #1 fencer and then not let it bear fruit.

It wasn't that. In every scene he never evokes terror like Curry's did. Curry's Cardinal could drink tea and look like a super-villain.
    All the villains kind of lost screentime in favor of showing the teen king with his weird mustache and pouting trying to hit on Juno Temple.

I liked that. It humanized the king.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

I love this one, but one question comes to mind.
    Why do you keep referring to Eli as a she? It is made exceedingly obvious in the book that he is a castrated boy, and as far as I remember it's also made clear in the swedish movie.

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »

I love this one, but one question comes to mind.
    Why do you keep referring to Eli as a she? It is made exceedingly obvious in the book that he is a castrated boy, and as far as I remember it's also made clear in the swedish movie.
    Eli appears to present as a girl; at least, she wears female clothing (Oskar gives her his mother's dress at one point), doesn't bother to correct people who address her as female (I think the hospital attending does this), etc. She tells Oskar she's not a girl, but it's unclear whether she means her gender or her vampirism (which the movie considers more important).

Also, to discuss her character as a boy involves both spoilers and a complicated explanation, and since the movie isn't clear, I default to identifying Eli as female when writing about the film. It's not a great solution, but I don't think there are any great solutions here.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    As promised, here's the wrap-up post for Killtoberfest 2: Kill Me Twice, Shame On Me. This year was much more successful than last year, even if I didn't meet my overall (highly ridiculous) goal.

Here's the full list of reviews for this year (with links to my blog, not the posts, because those are easier to find):
    1. Jack Frost / The Conspiracy
    2. Picnic at Hanging Rock / Megan is Missing
    3. Gone Girl / The Haunting
    4. Shivers / Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
    5. Grave Encounters / Dog Soldiers
    6. You're Next / Hellraiser VI: Hellseeker
    7. Carrie (2013) / The Dark Half
    8. Fermat's Room / Triangle (2009)
    9. The Exorcist / Dark Water (2002)
    10. Pandorum / Pitch Black
    11. Looking for Mr. Goodbar / The Fury
    12. The Frighteners / Teen Wolf
    13. Frailty / Ils (aka Them) (2006)
    14. Education for Death: The Making of a Nazi / The Call of Cthulhu
    15. Yellowbrickroad / The Poughkeepsie Tapes
    16. Cronos / Something Wicked This Way Comes
    17. Hellraiser VII: Deader / Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper
    18. Burn, Witch, Burn / The Tall Man
    19. Bubba Ho-Tep / Detention (2011)
    20. The Thing (2011) and Evil Dead (2013)
    21. Night of the Living Dead (1968) / Eyes Without a Face
    22. Birth / Fire in the Sky
    23. Hellraiser VIII: Hellworld / Society (1989)
    24. Misery / In a Glass Cage
    25. Scream 4 / Hellraiser IX: Revelations
    26. The Bad Seed / Man Bites Dog
    27. Stoker / The Ring (2002)
    28. Let the Right One In

And here are my awards:

Best movie I hadn't seen before: Detention
    Worst movie: Hellraiser IX: Revelations (runner up: Yellowbrickroad)
    Best foreign film: Picnic at Hanging Rock
    Find of the year: Detention (runner up: Triangle)
    Scariest movie I hadn't seen before: Dark Water
    Saddest movie: Dark Water (runner up: Triangle)
    Funniest movie: Detention (runner up: Tucker and Dale vs. Evil)
    Movie that most made me want to stand up and cheer: You're Next (runner up: Fermat's Room)
    Image that'll take the longest to get out of my head: finding Megan in Megan is Missing
    Best genre blender: Pitch Black
    Best twist: The Ring (runner up: The Tall Man)
    Worst twist: Frailty (runner up: Hellraiser VI: Hellseeker, where, surprise! you've been watching the boring version of the story)
    Most improved in the last 20 minutes: Fire in the Sky (runner up: Megan is Missing)
    Best found footage movie: Man Bites Dog
    Worst found footage segments in a non-found footage movie: Hellraiser IX (runner up: Yellowbrickroad)
    Best movie based on a Stephen King book: The Shawshank Redemption
    Best death: Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper, where the bad guy is sliced open and then collapses while defiantly eating his own intestines
    Best orrery: Pitch Black
    Best last 15 seconds: The Fury
    Least like a horror film at all: Looking for Mr. Goodbar
    Best performance, ensemble: Stoker (runner up: Birth)
    Best performance, female: Diane Keaton in Looking for Mr. Goodbar (runner up: Lina Leandersson in Let the Right One In)
    Best performance, male: Bruce Campbell in Bubba Ho-Tep
    Best athletic performance by a werewolf (basketball): Teen Wolf
    Best athletic performance by a vampire (free-climbing): Let the Right One In
    Worst athletic performance by a snowman (moving): Jack Frost
    Best Elvis impersonation: Bruce Campbell in Bubba Ho-Tep
    Worst Elvis impersonation: TIE, everyone else in everything else
    Best Harrison Ford impersonation: Dennis Quaid in Pandorum
    Most surprisingly not terrible performance, male: Dane Cook in Detention
    Most surprisingly not terrible performance, female: Chloe Moretz in Carrie
    Sexiest piano-playing: Stoker
    Best scene: Mr. Dark in the library, Something Wicked This Way Comes
    Best cinematography: Let the Right One In (runner up: Evil Dead and Detention)
    Best sound design: Stoker
    Best editing: Detention
    Best screenplay: The Ring (runner up: Pitch Black)
    Best director: Chan-Wook Park, Stoker (runner up: David Fincher, Gone Girl)
    Best score: The Ring
    Worst score: Teen Wolf (runner up: Eyes Without a Face)
    Best production design: The Haunting (runner up: The Call of Cthulhu)
    Best remake: Evil Dead
    Best movie that happened to be a remake: The Ring
    Movie that most needs a remake: Something Wicked This Way Comes (runner up: The Bad Seed)
    Biggest value X, where X = (time between set-up and punchline of joke / humor value of joke): Dog Soldiers
    My favorite review: Let the Right One In (runner up: Triangle)
    Best movie that won no other category here: Night of the Living Dead (runner up: Ils)
    What should you watch on Netflix right the hell now: Detention (runner up: The Conspiracy)

Thanks again to everyone for reading, watching, discussing, and encouraging! Tune in next October for Killtoberfest 3: The ReKillening!

can someone give @Astaereth‌ an award or medal for being one of the most underappreciated movie reviewers on the web?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    qwer12qwer12 PhilippinesRegistered User regular
    can someone give @Astaereth‌ an award or medal for being one of the most underappreciated movie reviewers on the web?

Yeah @Astaereth‌, just want to say that I love your reviews, especially the in-depth analysis ones. Keep it up!

steam_sig.png

PSN: jrrl_absent
  • Options
    If this forum is the only place where those reviews are collected then the internet is being robbed of a serious treasure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thank you all for the kind words!

I typically use this forum as the first draft or the first place for posts that go on my blog, so there's plenty of stuff archived there for the curious, including last year's Killtoberfest, some other random movie stuff, board game reviews, Game of Thrones reviews, etc. Following that is a great way to support me and keep up with any writing I do that doesn't originate here.

As for medals...

YJoR4ag.png

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Somewhat tangential: does anyone here know of a good app or website where you create a watch list for when certain films, directors or actors are on TV (ideally it should let you define the channels to check - in my case it'd be UK, German and Swiss channels) and then alerts you a week or two in advance?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    So in the end we have a movie where the cast does all it can to make up for the director's mistakes, but the Disney one is better. Now I need to see all the older ones, and even that Man In the Iron Mask movie with Jordan Bellfort.

There's a BluRay set of the first two Lester ones, so....! As others said, they're seriously great.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Holy shit! All the time these past two weeks you guys have been talking about Nightcrawler I just assumed it was some Xmen spinoff ("comic book movie? into the trash it goes"), I've never even heard of this crime movie it actually is?
    's cool though, since you're saying it's good? It's nice to have a see-worthy Gyllenhaal movie to look forward to.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

It was kind of uneven, like the final act didn't freak me out too much.

The forest and the hotel room? Dear god.

Started watching it. Got through the hotel.

Damn, just, damn.

I also may or may not also have a awkward crush on that actress now.

This discussion has been closed.