As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Release: May 24th / Animated shorts coming this Spring!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I often get nauseated playing anything with a low FoV sooooo I guess I'm not going to play this?

rip pigeon dreams : (

this seems like a v blizzard decision, but mebbe they will change or there will be hax

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I'll be surprised if they don't change their mind about FOV by release.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    "We don't want to offer an unfair advantage to players who don't know about the slider" is the worst reason.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    No FOV options confirmed. Not enough :/ at their reasoning.

How stupid do they think their players are to be unable to open up the system options and adjust a slider commonly found, by their own admission, in many games/shooters?

They are pretty much correct about how little they think most players know about FOV options.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's incredibly dumb. Maybe if there's camera issues with the models or something? There has to be something else since changing FoV is fairly easy as far as free engines like unity and unreal go.

• Options
    It's like colour blind options. No, they make no difference to the vast majority of players, but they make a huge difference to a minority of them.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    This is from the same guys that said they don't want to confuse people by adding more than 9 deck slots in Hearthstone.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I, for one, am indeed easily confused and thus I appreciate Blizzard's concern for my wellbeing.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The biggest thing the FoV thing tells me is that they are keeping possible console ports in mind for the game. For better or worse.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That rationale for the FoV slider made me think TotalBiscuit just got a headache and he doesn't know why.

So hey Zarya's design is cooool. Think I might have to play her even if I'm not a fan of her playstyle, just to like, rep a good design :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    The only blizzard reason I've heard for lack of FOV is they want to make sure everyone is working inside the same limitations (for a level playing field, like most other sports)... Why does this reason suck? Is there some other reason I haven't heard?

I'm aware of PC master race!!!!1!!one, but is there a reason why people with old machines (or just not giving a damn), should be penalized in a sport?

quarthinos on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Glal wrote: »
    "We don't want to offer an unfair advantage to players who don't know about the slider" is the worst reason.

Diablo 3 and "elective mode" fucking calling you, blizzard. They have a history of maliciously hiding tools in their option menus. I don't know, maybe this is the overreaction.

edit: The very first followup question should have been "So you are removing that option from wow arena/pvp then?"

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    quarthinos wrote: »
    The only blizzard reason I've heard for lack of FOV is they want to make sure everyone is working inside the same limitations (for a level playing field, like most other sports)... Why does this reason suck? Is there some other reason I haven't heard?

I'm aware of PC master race!!!!1!!one, but is there a reason why people with old machines (or just not giving a damn), should be penalized in a sport?

Yeah, this doesn't seem that much different than limiting how far you can pull the camera back in an RTS.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    quarthinos wrote: »

Because not only is that much of an advantage (in fact it can make long distance shooting more difficult) but a low FoV can give people headaches and nausea. If it's an option, anyone can take it (and if your PC is going to start struggling from just the FoV, it has issues beyond what a few degrees of vision can fix) and completely sidestep the issue entirely.

I can't play with a low FoV. 90, which is about the level they're going with, is basically the absolute minimum I can play at without my head starting to hurt. Other FPS games have FoV sliders, and have done for a really long time. The current trend of locked low FoVs is partly due to conserving power for old consoles, and partly because a low FoV can work on a TV screen that's far away. Overwatch is (as far as we know) a PC exclusive title and dodges both of those problems.

If I have to deal with headache issues so that others can have a more level playing field that is likely going to be more affected by hero balance than how far your vision stretches, I might just give the game a miss. I'm hoping that this is just Blizzard coming to deal with issues they've never had before, since this is their first FPS title, and enough player feedback will make them change their mind because this really is something that will change how much I play this game.

Lorahalo on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
  • Options
    Glal wrote: »

Diablo 3 and "elective mode" fucking calling you, blizzard. They have a history of maliciously hiding tools in their option menus. I don't know, maybe this is the overreaction.

edit: The very first followup question should have been "So you are removing that option from wow arena/pvp then?"

Maliciously? Seriously? That's just fucking silly on your part.

Elective Mode in D3 is just standard Blizzard design. Offer an easy to grasp experience and hide any complexity in places where those who want it will know where to look for it.

This is the same thing except they feel the added complexity offers a tangible advantage over others in a PvP game and so rather then having it available only to those in the know, they decided to level the playing field.

It's not malicious, it's just the way they make games.

• Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    I can't play with a low FoV. 90, which is about the level they're going with, is basically the absolute minimum I can play at without my head starting to hurt. Other FPS games have FoV sliders, and have done for a really long time.

I get the headaches too but I've never seen a game with an FOV slider. I've gotten used to popping open the console for that shit.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    I can't play with a low FoV. 90, which is about the level they're going with, is basically the absolute minimum I can play at without my head starting to hurt. Other FPS games have FoV sliders, and have done for a really long time.

I get the headaches too but I've never seen a game with an FOV slider. I've gotten used to popping open the console for that shit.

Yeah that's more or less the reason I have next to no Fallout NV achievements with 100 odd hours played. First thing I do is pop open the console and jack it up, which the game interprets as me cheating and disables achievements.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

PlanetSide 2 leaps immediately to mind.

• Options
    Hell, Elder Scrolls Online has it, and that's an MMO. Ditto Wildstar.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Tons of games have FoV sliders. They're more common in PC-only games, games targeted at more hardcore audiences, and games made by people who have the powers of empathy necessary to understand that some people get sick playing games with a 90 degree FoV, powers of empathy which somehow seem pretty rare in the game industry.

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Do they do Beta codes for you guys to invite people into this game with? This games looks like a nice replacement for SMNC for me!

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Tons of games have FoV sliders. They're more common in PC-only games, games targeted at more hardcore audiences, and games made by people who have the powers of empathy necessary to understand that some people get sick playing games with a 90 degree FoV, powers of empathy which somehow seem pretty rare in the game industry.

Keeping in mind that other blizzard games have FoV controls(wow) and most of their games don't limit draw distance on window size, meaning having 3 monitors actually puts you are a distinct advantage(diablo 3, I think SC2). This doesn't even touch on diablo 3's elective mode bullshit. Literally every one of their current products does something like this. It's the diablo 3 elective mode all over again.

edit: It's blizzards status quo lately of "rules for rules sake" that they have to walk back almost immediately after implementation.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    Do they do Beta codes for you guys to invite people into this game with? This games looks like a nice replacement for SMNC for me!

Beta will most likely be by account. They've done by account emails in the past, but they've also given out keys for news sites so they can do giveaways. It might be a combination of both. In any case, beta does not start until this fall according to the latest news.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    No new news, but a new official gameplay video from the view of a Zenyatta player showed up on the PlayOverwatch YouTube channel today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7Yh_YywD-U

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
  • Options
    I know it's early, but Mercy UI looks pretty clunky. Not sure how I feel about having my direct line of sight blocked by a big white bar.

They must be gearing up for Beta with these video releases though. Excited to get my hands on it.

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Hopefully this'll come to consoles too, and soon. Technically and mechanics-wise, I don't see why it wouldn't. The even playingfield is a given there, and no arbitrary rules are necessary.

I just hope it'll have a wide enough FoV. 85 is what I like best. Anything beyond 90 gives any first person game a fisheye-lens effect, which I find distracting, and results in me losing focus on centerscreen too easily. A FoV of 65 or less gives me slight feelings of nausea sometimes, albeit I get over it within minutes. I also prefer gamepad-only environments for my competitive shooting - the lesser average accuracy and slightly slower average reaction time creates more time and space for fun to occur, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Seeing how Hearthstone could easily be a thing on consoles too, I'm a tiny bit worried Overwatch won't come to consoles either. In the case of Hearthstone it might just be business reasons preventing it from showing up, since Blizzard probably wants all platforms to use the same account, and Microsoft and Sony don't want platform-agnostic games in their ecosystem at all costs. Oh well, they're missing out on a cut on a 480+ millions strong yearly stream of revenue. Their bad.

I guess Overwatch would be bound to its respective platforms either way, so I hope it'll come over to consoles swiftly. I like the idea of a hero-centric team shooter. Now I just need DICE to make a large scale hero-centric shooter on completely destructible battlegrounds, each hero with his own summon mount, with like a 20-30 player cap - and I'd be in heaven.

BranniganSepp on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Hanzo Gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PB4g3TVRuQ

Edit - I don't know if he's lagging or if there's some DoT on those arrows, but a lot of them don't seem like they're hitting their mark and we still see the "Eliminated" messages. There's a fight around 2 minutes where he's 1v1ing a Widowmaker and completely misses the last shot but he still gets the kill.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I felt the same way watching the Mccree video, either the gunplay doesn't match up to where he's aiming or there's some heavy auto-aiming in the game

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Early version, buggy hit detection! Or it's all staged. Or other. They all go on kill streaks, so hard to say.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Yeah in these videos the relationship between where and when the player aims and shoots and what happens to the enemies seems... tenuous.

• Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    I think there might be explosives on the arrows or something. I can't figure out why he shoots at their feet sometimes.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Haven't checked on a while, but those gameplay videos are awesome.

And to think that people were concerned that McCree was underpowered. The Blizz representative on Reddit said that they nerfed a bit his stun grenade somewhen after the video. Also, the "unkillable" Symmetra turret is a bug.

On the rest, Zennyata and Mercy are very different, and the Hanzo video confirms something that I noticed on the Mercy video: People don't look up. Surprise Pharah kills will be a common occurence. Also, that offensive Torbjorn on the Zennyata video kicked a lot of ass, impressive for a character that looks so defensive.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    This whole thing started as a PvP mode for an MMO, so there's probably a whole lot of weird lag protection shit baked into it.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Haven't checked on a while, but those gameplay videos are awesome.

And to think that people were concerned that McCree was underpowered. The Blizz representative on Reddit said that they nerfed a bit his stun grenade somewhen after the video. Also, the "unkillable" Symmetra turret is a bug.

On the rest, Zennyata and Mercy are very different, and the Hanzo video confirms something that I noticed on the Mercy video: People don't look up. Surprise Pharah kills will be a common occurence. Also, that offensive Torbjorn on the Zennyata video kicked a lot of ass, impressive for a character that looks so defensive.

Keep in mind they ALL kickass in their videos i.e. it's fairly staged or they cherry picked the best runs for each character from people who were having a great game. I suspect the open beta to see a lot of tweaking...very slowly...

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    I honestly can't wait to play this. It's tweaking my old TF2 fix super hard

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    It seems really...spastic? Twitchy?

Or is this normal for the genre? I don't really play FPSes, definitely not PvP ones.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    It seems really...spastic? Twitchy?

Or is this normal for the genre? I don't really play FPSes, definitely not PvP ones.

Arena style FPS's tend to be super twitchy.

This discussion has been closed.