As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Release: May 24th / Animated shorts coming this Spring!

• Options
    CroakerCroaker Registered User regular
    Holy fuck this looks great. I am excited.

I love the Reaper's character design.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Croaker wrote: »
    Holy fuck this looks great. I am excited.

I love the Reaper's character design.

Taskmaster called. 8->

i43O6dE.jpg

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Oh my god yes

YES

Blizzard Team Fortress 2

I'm in

Looks amazing

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    LA: wrote: »
    The site has character descriptions and videos of their skills up already.

Yeah everyone who's interested should check out the site. Tons of content on there which I really expected to be locked by "coming soon" previews, but it's all readily available.

- Two game modes so far, Payload and Capture the points a la TF2
    - Heroes are separated into Offense, Defense, Tank, and Support categories
    - Each hero has three set abilities, an ultimate ability, and a detailed back story. Some of them have other gimmicks
    - Looks like there are three maps only right now, which are the three shown in the gameplay trailer

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    It's almost like they're 2-3 years behind on what counts as innovative or something.

That's Blizzard for you. People said the same thing about WoW and Starcraft.

I dunno, WoW was relatively modern when it came out. I thought it had a lot of forward design choices over contemporary MMOs.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Man I love the look of this, meditating hindu monkbot? Yes please.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    It's almost like they're 2-3 years behind on what counts as innovative or something.

I dunno, WoW was relatively modern when it came out. I thought it had a lot of forward design choices over contemporary MMOs.

The big separations between WoW and Everquest were the better art direction and the reduction in instancing between zones. They moved a long way from there in the past decade, but it wasn't revolutionary in any sense. Polished to a diamond.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    If you read Kotaku's report on what Titan would have been, I completely believe this is Titan's PvP bits. Same look, same combat names, etc.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    this stuff looks like TF2 + LoL

...I'm okay with this?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    lazegamer wrote: »
    The big separations between WoW and Everquest were the better art direction and the reduction in instancing between zones. They moved a long way from there in the past decade, but it wasn't revolutionary in any sense. Polished to a diamond.

Yeah, that's pretty much Blizzard's modus operandi. They don't innovate, they iterate.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    lazegamer wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »

I'd say the biggest separation would be WoW's implementation of an actual quest interface. For all the "give me five bear asses" jokes, the thing to remember is that Everquest had that, only they were hidden, cumbersome, and incredibly rare.

Garthor on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Reaper looks OP from the trailer. He walks into a room and whirlwinds like 4-5 kills in a couple seconds.

There's a charge bar in % at the bottom of every character's screen. That stuff was probably Reaper's ultimate equivalent.

Also Tracer looks fantastic.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Like half of Mercy's shit is named Caduceus something

It's Asclepius, you goobers

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    @jdarksun‌ supposedly it is available for beta signups now, either through your bnet account settings or at the site.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah you can opt into "Future Battle.net Beta" on your battle.net account beta settings.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Not sure if I'm ready or recharged for another Team Fortress game. Will keep close attention to it though.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Waffen wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm ready or recharged for another Team Fortress game. Will keep close attention to it though.

TF2 came out 7 years ago. I'm ready for something new. And if that something new includes a levitating Buddhist robot, a sniper with a hookshot, and a gorilla wearing glasses and a jetpack? I'm okay with that too.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Looks awesome, very reminiscent of (Super) Monday Night Combat, but without creeps (at least so far.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »
    Looks awesome, very reminiscent of (Super) Monday Night Combat, but without creeps (at least so far.)

A Smite-ish mode would probably tip it into first day buy/play for me actually. No leveling up or anything, just skill-based FPS play trying to assault opponent bases.

• Options
    the primary difference between this and MNC is that this is very much character-driven, more like other MOBAs like DotA 2 or LoL

as opposed to a class-based game like TF2 or MNC

you could argue that the difference between a class-based and a character-driven game is very granular but I think the argument there is that class-based games do not generally add new classes over time, they add new weapons and equipment that modify existing classes

whereas character-driven games add whole new characters, that might fit within defined roles on a team certainly but each one plays its own way and its skills are its own

• Options
    Reaper looks OP from the trailer. He walks into a room and whirlwinds like 4-5 kills in a couple seconds.

holy shit

there's been one announcement and it already has begun

blizz nerf reaper pls

blizz pls

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    the primary difference between this and MNC is that this is very much character-driven, more like other MOBAs like DotA 2 or LoL

you could argue that the difference between a class-based and a character-driven game is very granular but I think the argument there is that class-based games do not generally add new classes over time, they add new weapons and equipment that modify existing classes

whereas character-driven games add whole new characters, that might fit within defined roles on a team certainly but each one plays its own way and its skills are its own

I never played MNC, but Super MNC was also character driven like a traditional MOBA.

• Options

holy shit

there's been one announcement and it already has begun

blizz nerf reaper pls

blizz pls

That's pretty much my new way of saying, I like this character because he looks strong as hell. Not to mention a dual-wielding shadow with a bone-mask. It's kind of hitting all of the buttons.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    MMO Champ has a decent post...but this:
    The game is less-lethal. You will die, but you should die less frequently than in current modern military shooters. With more time alive, you are able to do more interesting things and interact with your team more.

Please, I really REALLY hate low TTK in COD.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Well this just blew up the internet.

Aaaaand I am signed up. Even though I am pretty much the worst fps player in the world

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Now I get to wait for Blizzard's spite to never let me into their betas (in which they still let you pay for everything and otherwise run like a functional game) and this takes three years to get out of beta.

Because this happens every damn time and Blizzard's beta system is terrible.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    There's a panel for it going on right now at Blizzcon for another ~2 hours, so more detailed information will start to leak out on sites.

Also another panel tomorrow from 11:30 to 12:30AM PST for Overwatch - Origins which will most like get summarized on Kotaku or IGN or something.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »

I never played MNC, but Super MNC was also character driven like a traditional MOBA.

MNC was more like TF2 in that each "character" was a class. SMNC did the whole mixing up characters where many were of the "tank" and whatnot variety.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Initial character impression: Bastion may be my guy errr... robot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4D1C7JU7ts

The Verge has links to many character videos that aren't all listed on the PlayOverwatch youtube channel yet:
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/7/7175159/overwatch-videos-blizzard-fps

nusu on
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Also, nerf Widowmaker...

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Dibs on the widowmaker! Sniper classes are so my thing

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    So how many fps/rpg/moba hybrids do we have now?
    Bethesda's BattleCry
    GearBox's BattleBorn
    Motiga's Gigantic

This is going to be interesting. I think Overwatch really has to innovate on gameplay to distinguish itself.

TF2 comparisons continue especially when Mapmodes include point capture/payload.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    nusu wrote: »
    Also, nerf Widowmaker...

Wow, her Infrasight visor. Haha. That with one-shot headshots from her sniper make her seem really powerful. Like the Farsight in Perfect Dark but without the bullets going through solid objects.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    nusu wrote: »
    Also, nerf Widowmaker...
    Actually... there are so many wallhack skills and instakills in this game, judging from all the character trailers, that a grapling hook sniper looks almost... vanilla

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Bethesda's BattleCry
    GearBox's BattleBorn
    Motiga's Gigantic

This is going to be interesting. I think Overwatch really has to innovate on gameplay to distinguish itself.

TF2 comparisons continue especially when Mapmodes include point capture/payload.

It kind of seems like a lot of developers found themselves looking at the same MOBA market at the same time and all had the same idea for the next step-- Put guns in it and make it a shooter to get away from the goofy ass pseudo-RTS roots, but also do it better than Monday Night Combat.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    What are the chances that the console version will appear for next year's E3?

Also, I was thinking that Overwatch might canibalize Heroes of the Storm in regards to the drop-in/drop-out kind of game but its too early to tell. If it does migrate to consoles, that would make a whole lot of sense

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    What are the chances that the console version will appear for next year's E3
    The last console version of a blizzard game was... StarCraft 1?

No idea- The game could work on consoles, but how many MOBAs are there on consoles?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Bethesda's BattleCry
    GearBox's BattleBorn
    Motiga's Gigantic

Reminds me of Global Agenda :P

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    What are the chances that the console version will appear for next year's E3
    The last console version of a blizzard game was... StarCraft 1?

Diablo 3.
    No idea- The game could work on consoles, but how many MOBAs are there on consoles?

It's not a MOBA, it's a team-based shooter.

This discussion has been closed.