As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am going to the Grand Canyon!!!

MethodaMethoda BulgariaRegistered User regular
Hi there. Has has anyone been to the Grand Canyon. I have never travelled to another continent before and i am from Europe. My parents are taking me there in a couple of months. Is it worth it? What am i gonna see and etc. ? :)

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    This really belongs more in help and advice not debate and discourse

but to answer the question I have been to the grand canyon, if you're going there you shouldn't make an entire trip to America just for that (though it is pretty grand). We rented a car when I went to the southwest and saw the grand canyon, the hoover dam, and of course fabulous Las Vegas along with numerous other smaller landmarks. It's pretty cheap for a vacation, your travel to the US will cost way more than that

override367 on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Moving this to H/A.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The big thing here is define "going to". Because there are tons of different ways to "go to" the Grand Canyon, from a day trip out of Vegas to a week on the Colorado through it. If it's the former, then I would say that it's not worth it on its own, but it would be a fun part of a grand tour of the Southwest. If it's more akin to the latter, then it will be a good experience, but it's going to be a very managed one as well.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    well if your parents are taking you there then yeah it's worth it

unless they're making you pay?

enjoy the trip!

• Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    Yep, the Grand Canyon is pretty grand. You'll enjoy it. It's worth noting that at this time of the year the north rim is closed entirely and the south rim is probably colder than you'd expect, especially if you're camping at all.

sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Let's see, from what I remember and been told from my mother that did a recent trip there, there's the National Parks side that has all the standard tourist stuff; visitor center, trail guides (maps and people), safety rails, etc...
    This is the one I remember when my family visited my aunts when I was a kid.

On the West Rim side is the part owned by a local tribe (the Hualapai) and is considered part of their reservation, so there's none of that stuff there (not even the safety rails). What they do have is a observation center with a Skywalk deck that extends out over the Canyon and the floor is made out of glass (you're given special shoe covers to not scuff it up). However this side is also pretty damn expensive ($60 per person for the observation center, plus an additional $20 for the Skywalk), and they don't let you take cameras or phones onto the walk.

The Hualapai center is about 2 1/2 hours outside Vegas, all paved roads but nothing faster than 45 miles an hour.
    This is what my mother went and did about a month ago, and here's a picture she took of the Hualapai center:

b6c517ab-c175-4419-90c5-70115414d603.jpg

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MethodaMethoda BulgariaRegistered User regular
    I hope it will be fun. From what it looks from their website http://www.grandcanyon-nationalpark.org/ it is an amazing place. I hope to get on one of the helicopter tours and on this thing called Skywalk. Has anyone done this?

• Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The Skywalk really isn't convenient to the National Park and the vistas are not as impressive as those from the South Rim. Trust me, you will see more than enough of the canyon if you go to the park.

I believe you can charter a helicopter tour out of Tusayan, Az, which is a little bit out side the Park.

edit: Keep in mind that it is going to be pretty cold at time of year and the South Rim is at a higher altitude (2100m). It's a bit like being at the tree line in the Alps.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The grand canyon will probably be the biggest, most awe inspiring hole in the ground you will ever see. I knew all the facts and measurements when I saw it 2 years ago, but when I walked to the rim and looked across and down for the first time my mind froze and my knees started to buckle from the sheer beauty and wonder. Or it could have been from terror due to my fear of heights/falling kicking in.

Is the Grand Canyon worth travelling to America for on it's own? No, but then no single thing really is. It is, however, absolutely worth at least a full day trip on an American SW vacation and I highly recommend just going to the national park on the south rim. It's $25 for a vehicle and however many you can fit inside it, and there is no way I could have enjoyed it as much as I did without the railing. There are also parts where there are no railings so you can be as stupid as you want.

Seriously, why do people get so stupid around giant cliffs? I saw one family put a 6 month old a couple feet from the cliff edge, backed away, and sat back taking pictures while the baby did it's baby thing.

Veevee on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of impressive holes in the ground, I am partial to Wyoming's Flaming Gorge.

• Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    The grand canyon will probably be the biggest, most awe inspiring hole in the ground you will ever see. I knew all the facts and measurements when I saw it 2 years ago, but when I walked to the rim and looked across and down for the first time my mind froze and my knees started to buckle from the sheer beauty and wonder. Or it could have been from terror due to my fear of heights/falling kicking in.

Is the Grand Canyon worth travelling to America for on it's own? No, but then no single thing really is. It is, however, absolutely worth at least a full day trip on an American SW vacation and I highly recommend just going to the national park on the south rim. It's $25 for a vehicle and however many you can fit inside it, and there is no way I could have enjoyed it as much as I did without the railing. There are also parts where there are no railings so you can be as stupid as you want.

Seriously, why do people get so stupid around giant cliffs? I saw one family put a 6 month old a couple feet from the cliff edge, backed away, and sat back taking pictures while the baby did it's baby thing.

I went a couple years ago, and it was incredibly nerve wracking to see children scampering near the edge. People just didn't get it.

The actually recovered two bodies on the day I left.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Let me tell you about the Grand Canyon. Before I went people had hyped up the Grand Canyon to an unbelievable degree. To my mind it was impossible that any thing, no matter how spectacular could possibly live up to the ridiculous level of superlatives that people were telling me.

I was wrong.

The Grand Canyon is uncapturable in words or images. Only going there can truly let you get a feeling for it. Waking up at dawn on the South Rim and walking to the edge to watch the sun rise and run it's golden fingers along the rock face. Indescribable. You may think I just described it there but I have not.

You cannot grasp how big a hole in the ground the Grand Canyon is unless you go there.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Sums up my experience too. Went in 2008. We parked by some dense trees and as soon as we got past the trees, there it was in all it's glory. One of the most memorable sights I've ever seen, I want to go back in April next year and hike the whole thing with a friend. When I was there with my parents we took mules down to phantom ranch and then back up, it was amazing.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Depending on which side you're hitting, you're very close to Zion National park, which is another absolutely stunning park. If you have the time, I highly recommend checking it out.