As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii U - THIS THREAD IS DOOMED! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    McFlynn wrote: »
    Is losing saves a common problem?

I think for most people, it's a matter of peace of mind. If something happens to my PlayStation, I just need to redownload my saves and games and it's like it never happened.

It's not that something will happen, but something might.

It happened to my Vita due to some minor flood damage and it being in a backpack on the ground where that flood damage happened.

I lost absolutely nothing outside of the cost of a new system.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2015

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Aren't cloud saves for the PS3/4/Vita only available if you have a PS+ account? If something happens to your memory card you're out all your games if you didn't manually back them up right?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'd say get a PS3 instead of a PS4. PS4 can't yet come close to matching the former's library.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I'd agree but I don't think I've really been on the receiving end of their bullshit to the same degree as some people. I don't know how I'd react if I lost all my data or something, and I'm not sure how a replacement WiiU would deal with my external HDD

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I've heard tales on how great they are at keeping your save data and stuff. Why the turnaround with this? Unless this specific console error just melts the hard drive or something.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I've heard tales on how great they are at keeping your save data and stuff. Why the turnaround with this? Unless this specific console error just melts the hard drive or something.

It does seem ironic that they would be so good about retaining your save data on the Wii, a console that allowed you to back up your saves on an SD card, but bad about it on the Wii U, a console that does not allow you to transfer save data at all.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I have to admit that one of the reasons I had no interest in DKC3 is that one of the playable characters was a baby in a onesie. I'm not super insecure but jeez, who at Rare thought that was a cool idea?

Now that I think about it, Rare got almost as bad as Sega. Sonic has his shitty friends and Donkey Kong has his shitty relatives(?)

Honestly, I've long thought that if anyone actually outdid Sonic here, it was DK.

Much as I like DK, I can honestly say I at least like most of Sonic's friends in some form or fashion.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Aren't cloud saves for the PS3/4/Vita only available if you have a PS+ account? If something happens to your memory card you're out all your games if you didn't manually back them up right?

If you still have an active PS+ account, any games you downloaded during the free period are still available to redownload. As long as you hit download on the game while it was available, you own it as long as you have PS+, and will own it again if you reup PS+.

• Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular

It does seem ironic that they would be so good about retaining your save data on the Wii, a console that allowed you to back up your saves on an SD card, but bad about it on the Wii U, a console that does not allow you to transfer save data at all.

They're probably just replacing the console wholesale and then transferring the NNID on the back end to save time.

Theoretically they should be able to transfer the data though. Worst case scenario by pulling everything apart and swapping out the flash drive on the new unit.

Edit: No wait there's the problem: The flash drive is soldered to the board. So if the board itself is FUBAR there's no way to copy the data.

DSC_9010.jpg

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options

If you still have an active PS+ account, any games you downloaded during the free period are still available to redownload. As long as you hit download on the game while it was available, you own it as long as you have PS+, and will own it again if you reup PS+.

Oh yeah I know. PS+ is great. My point is that cloud saving only works if you have PS+, which costs money per month. It's not given to you for free.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    @Raiden333 Did you try screwing the the HDMI cable?
    Apparently a bad HDMI port can cause the Red Flashing Light (of Death?). If you move the console frequently (or your connections are in a spot that puts pressure on the port) you could get a bad connector/port.
    Try unplugging it.

Mblackwell on

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I've lost my save games twice.

Once after my WiiU froze up and had to be sent to Nintendo, and again just three weeks ago when my external HDD just up and decided to die for no apparent reason. And this is all after getting most of my games stolen last year when someone broke into the house.

I uh.. I don't have a lot of good luck with this damn console, that is for sure.

Having a cloud storage or some kind of safe backup system in place would have saved me an enormous amount of headache. Mostly because of some of the larger saves I had spent a long time working on.

AC 3 Save? Gone.
    Lego City Save? Gone.
    Mario 3D World? Gone.
    Disney Infinity? Gone.
    Windwaker almost 100%? Gone.
    Mario Kart 8? Hahah fuck me. Fuck me. Gone.
    Hyrule Warriors? Hahahahaha.

And the list keeps going. Stuff like that really sucks because it takes soooooo long to get them there.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Yeah, the one I was most mad about though was AC3... if only because it's such a fucking chore of a game. I just wanted to see the end dammit!

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Looking at the twilight hack, that's probably why we're not able to swap saves anymore. Got a 90% clear 3D World save I played on a friends system that I can't transfer to my console.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I try not to be upset because ya know.. fuck it. It's video games. But.. then I think about the cost that goes into this. It's not cheap. This is an expensive hobby.

Nintendo needs to get with the fucking 21st century already because after sitting here and thinking about all the hours of progress I have lost, I am kinda pissed off now. lol.

The damn system has a SD Card slot. I don't see why there can't be a "backup saves" button and tada! Problem solved for the most part.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    Yeah you can always just hash/encrypt the save data if you're really worried about that sort of stuff.

• Options
    Yeah you can always just hash/encrypt the save data if you're really worried about that sort of stuff.

Yeah, it's not as if Nintendo is the first company to ever allow save files. There are an abundant amount of methods to secure the data to prevent boot-hacking and what-not, but it just looks like they didn't think much into it. They didn't look at the future of the device and the player experience when they built it, and if they did, they just put it to the wayside because they decided to push the system faster than it was ready.

I totally get design decisions and the need to prioritize what can make it and what can't, but save files are kind of the backbone of the games being played. To forget such an important aspect is just ridiculous.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    For as much as I read people complaining about Nintendo's hardware in this thread, I've never had a problem. I've got all my shit on an external hard drive, 100% digital. Even got a launch day console. Not a single hiccup.

So, you know.. yay anecdotes.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    For as much as I read people complaining about Nintendo's hardware in this thread, I've never had a problem. I've got all my shit on an external hard drive, 100% digital. Even got a launch day console. Not a single hiccup.

So, you know.. yay anecdotes.

Their hardware has never been a problem for me, just their services

Even if your hardware's working perfectly, their account system is shit, for everyone, 100%, including you

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The only problem I've ever had with their account system is Club Nintendo website being hot garbage. Never had any of the problems like you folk are talking about.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

Oh yeah I know. PS+ is great. My point is that cloud saving only works if you have PS+, which costs money per month. It's not given to you for free.

Without PS+, you can still backup all your PS4/PS3 save data and all Vita data manually.

• Options
    The only problem I've ever had with their account system is Club Nintendo website being hot garbage. Never had any of the problems like you folk are talking about.

And that is super awesome that it works for you in a way that you don't have any problems. I don't mean that sarcastically, I am glad that you're happy with the investment you made.

For a lot of people however, when something DOES hiccup, it usually means the loss of everything. It goes from something that could be a simple fix or even replacement to total catastrophe without any control over it. That's a big jump and in my opinion it's a pretty big design flaw.

• Options
    You know, if Nintendo wasn't so attracted to say, it taking hours to unlock all characters and stages in a fighting game where almost every other modern fighter has them all unlocked at the start or after a single quick story mode run through, maybe losing something like Smash save data wouldn't be so bad.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I wish I could delete double posts.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    You know, if Nintendo wasn't so attracted to say, it taking hours to unlock all characters and stages in a fighting game where almost every other modern fighter has them all unlocked at the start or after a single quick story mode run through, maybe losing something like Smash save data wouldn't be so bad.

Unlocking fighters and stages in Smash 4 is ridiculously easy and quick. I actually like doing that and almost wish it'd take longer and / or was more challenging.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular

In times past, I've found it a bit frustrating that older Smash Bros games don't automatically unlock everything if the console didn't have a memory card in it. I've heard that some GBA games do it if the battery in the cart dies.

• Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    If anything there wasn't enough to unlock in Smash 4

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

As someone coming from the PS3/PS4 to the Wii U, my impression of the lack of account system is, I dunno - y'all gotta jump through some goddamned hoops sometimes. Like, Mewtwo DLC for Smash Bros is free to owners of both 3DS and Wii U copies, right? If you had an account system, that'd be like a pair of codes in the box that you enter, and then you got them on yer download list for when the DLC hits. But instead, you have to register the pair on Club Nintendo, complete the survey and then maybe at some point they'll send you an email or something with the download code in it? Maybe?

And from what I hear, migrating data from a 3DS is hilariously difficult. My Vita ever breaks, I log in on a new one and download all my stuff. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

As someone coming from the PS3/PS4 to the Wii U, my impression of the lack of account system is, I dunno - y'all gotta jump through some goddamned hoops sometimes. Like, Mewtwo DLC for Smash Bros is free to owners of both 3DS and Wii U copies, right? If you had an account system, that'd be like a pair of codes in the box that you enter, and then you got them on yer download list for when the DLC hits. But instead, you have to register the pair on Club Nintendo, complete the survey and then maybe at some point they'll send you an email or something with the download code in it? Maybe?

And from what I hear, migrating data from a 3DS is hilariously difficult. My Vita ever breaks, I log in on a new one and download all my stuff. :P

Er..no.

Doing a 3DS system transfer is really easy.

You're also making the Mewtwo DLC situation sound more complicated than it really is. There's no "maybe" in them sending you the download code, and registering the games takes a couple of minutes, plus you get Club Nintendo points for it.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

Or if, say, one of the entire reasons I bought the console was an extremely challenging character action game with unlocks and challenges that took me hours to get/beat.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

Er..no.

You're also making the Mewtwo DLC situation sound more complicated than it really is. There's no "maybe" in them sending you the download code, and registering the games takes a couple of minutes, plus you get Club Nintendo points for it.

A New 3DS no longer comes with a power cable, and the transfer can take hours - it's not unlikely that you'd only have one cable between 2 devices. Also if you plan on trading your old one in towards the new one, you'd need to do the transfer while sitting in the store. These are both problems that shouldn't exist nowadays. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    The account system is bad. I have never run into an issue with it but it's pretty obvious by comparing it to it's competitors that it's lacking. This isn't a hardware spec thing and this isn't a gimmick controller thing this is Nintendo providing a worse service to its customers no question. And make no mistake, the number of PS4/One owners who will actually need the backups is minuscule compared to the number of users of those consoles, that does not mean they shouldn't have those options available.

I do think with the merging of their console and portable divisions and closing Club Nintendo they're working on making it better but they're not there yet.

Unlocking fighters and stages in Smash 4 is ridiculously easy and quick. I actually like doing that and almost wish it'd take longer and / or was more challenging.

Custom moves though.

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular

Er..no.

A New 3DS no longer comes with a power cable, and the transfer can take hours - it's not unlikely that you'd only have one cable between 2 devices. Also if you plan on trading your old one in towards the new one, you'd need to do the transfer while sitting in the store. These are both problems that shouldn't exist nowadays. :P

Oh don't forget that you need to get a tiny screwdriver and remove the very delicate back plate of the system, which doesn't slip off easily.

3DS system transfer used to be easy. Nintendo torpedoed that.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options

Er..no.

Oh don't forget that you need to get a tiny screwdriver and remove the very delicate back plate of the system, which doesn't slip off easily.

3DS system transfer used to be easy. Nintendo torpedoed that.

I will agree on this. Upgrading from an old 3DS to a New 3DS, especially if you are upgrading to a larger SD card at the same time, is a fucking nightmare. Someone needs to be kicked in the ass for that one.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    If I lost my data I just probably wouldn't play my wii u games that were affected ever again.

The idea of losing all of my progress on Bayo 1 and 2, W101, SM3DW, and Hyrule Warriors is just really fucking depressing.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I do think with the merging of their console and portable divisions and closing Club Nintendo they're working on making it better but they're not there yet.

I remember at last year's E3, Reggie said one of their big goals goings forward is to turn the eShop into a "third console". So yeah, it sounds like they're laying down the prep work behind the scenes for a unified digital service in the next gen.
    Viskod wrote: »
    If I lost my data I just probably wouldn't play my wii u games that were affected ever again.

I know how you feel. Even if I really wanted to see the ending, my backlog is way too big for me to ever replay something I've already played ever again.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I was nearly all the way through New Super Mario Bros U when Nintendo fixed my Wii U and lost my saves. It was so damn disheartening. I tried to start over but only made it through World 1. I had done everything up to the last two worlds or so. Sure I could take warps and skip to the end but that's not how I roll. It just killed my enthusiasm for the game.

I have to believe they're working on a proper account system. Hopefully it includes cloud saves. Pushing their digital agenda and not having these things is just baffling to me.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Okay, really thinking about it, if I lost the two hundred or so hours I've put into Hyrule Warriors that would probably break me in the worst way.

• Options
    Welcome to my world.

I pretty fucking bummed and I can't do anything about it. Not to mention my Wife who had her own games. She won't even touch the Wii U anymore, she says it isn't worth it to have shit fuck up like that again.

It's gonna collect dust until Splatoon comes out.