As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Visio 2013 - Connector Pathing

Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?Registered User regular
I think this SHOULD be very simple, but for me, it is not.

Basically, I have two shapes. The second shape is below and to the right of the first shape.

I want to connect to two shapes with a right angled connector.

When I draw the connector Visio insists on making the connect L shaped - that is, it goes down and then right - as opposed to 7 shaped - that is, it goes right and then down.

I have tried a whole range of things, if I just drag the corner then the connector itself becomes detached from the shaped, if I hold control and move it then the corner then the connector stops being a right angle and becomes acute (but the attachment is maintained). If I move the midpoints then it just gets more corners. Rotate shape and flip horizontal have entirely nonsensical effects.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Well, part of my job is designing Algorithms that essentially draw connectors so I can tell you that this isn't a simple problem and Visio just does it in a dumb way (note that dumb doesn't mean bad, a smart way has it's own problems)

In Visio 2010 it's definitely possible to get a 7 shaped by dragging the middle points around (with holding shift) It will look very strange in the middle but you actually only need like 4 operations to go from L shape to 7 shape.

Put the connector at the geometry where you want it.
    hpvc5gli65oy.png

Now hold shift on the left middle point and drag to the right:
    nz1imj739uxp.png

Now don't hold shift and drag the middle point upwards:
    fqwmfk2e5u7t.png

Again, just drag without shift to remove the corner:
    0011977viaom.png

And again, just drag the full right leg to the connecting point:
    08z1skagbomf.png

Grobian on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Awesome, thanks, i shall give this a whirl tomorree