As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed: Origins - out now!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    if you want an idea of what the movie will look like here's macbeth from the same director and fassbender and cotillard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgH_OnrYlCk

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    "now that we've eliminated the modern day story from the games, let's make a movie that deals with the modern day story."

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    builderr0rbuilderr0r Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Damn. That's a hell of a cast.

Yup, and those hidden blades have me excited. :3 I'm hoping it'll be a good - or, at least not terrible like the Prince of Persia movie.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    will fassbender speak with a spanish accent as aguilar y/n

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Templar comin' Yo!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Really. Assassin's Creed could work as a movie if they focused more on making a good movie than pandering.

We'll see though.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Wait is there actually a chance this movie could be good? I was not prepared for that.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    will fassbender speak with a spanish accent as aguilar y/n

British, actually.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Wait is there actually a chance this movie could be good? I was not prepared for that.

They are making the right moves to make a good movie, so possibly. The cast is great, and the director has done good stuff.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    So this is in the game continuity?

• Options
    "introducing new characters into the same world" implies that it is

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Fassbender looks...odd

I never thought I'd say that about Michael Fassbender

• Options
    Also: good to see the movie's outfit will continue with the game's tradition of "secret society based on stealth that wears our logo on every item of clothing we own"

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The Prince of Persia movie was good fun, so I'm optimistic for this.

• Options
    I think the reason Fassbender looks odd is because like

It's Michael Fassbender

A devastatingly handsome man doing a cosplay I've seen done a bunch of times over the years both very well and very poorly

It's just off-putting but I imagine seeing him in action I'll feel different

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    ...Wait, where did my post go? Oh, shit.

Edit: False alarm. It was in the movie thread. Anyways, here's some scintillating analysis for you:

It looks like he's missing a finger on his left hand, which at least means someone's kind of paying attention, I guess.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    It just looks obscured

Ezio was the first to do the double blades and by that time they got rid of the finger removal

Besides, his other bladed hand has all his fingers

• Options
    He's GONNA lose a finger if he keeps holding the blade edges like that

• Options
    I hope in the movie Fassbender parries a dude and is like UH UH UH UH UH

• Options
    It just looks obscured

Ezio was the first to do the double blades and by that time they got rid of the finger removal

Besides, his other bladed hand has all his fingers

Wait, Ezio was first to double blade at all? I thought he was just the first we saw. But anyway, my supposition was you remove the finger to show adherence to the creed, but you don't need to remove both because the blades don't need it.

Also, I apparently remember nothing from these games.

• Options
    The double blade may have been one of the things Leonardo did as an improvement on the original design, I forget (though I dunno if really takes a da Vinci to think "let's mirror this and put it on BOTH arms!")

• Options
    Da Vinci was the one to modify the design so that it didn't require finger loss

I can't imagine too many people were in a rush to remove both ring fingers before that, though I guess it's possible?

• Options
    edited August 2015
    altair drew the double blade design with no finger removal

which just required slightly adjusting the position of the blade

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Hmm

Damn, I would love to play through AC2 again, I might do that relatively soon

I'm pretty sure I have it on PSN, I know I have Brotherhood

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    They cannot shorten this movie title to call it "Creed"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Wait until you get to the surprise Act 3 twist of that boxing movie

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Creed knocks out his opponent, then the whole ring fades to white and he cradles him in his arms while he recounts a crucial part of backstory?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    The Prince of Persia movie was good fun, so I'm optimistic for this.

!

Someone else likes the PoP movie? I'm not alone!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Creed knocks out his opponent, then the whole ring fades to white and he cradles him in his arms while he recounts a crucial part of backstory?

Fucking sold

• Options
    a ubisoft twitter q&a this morning confirmed that the movie is in fact canon

are you ready for the assassin's creed cinematic universe

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Hahahaha of course, Ubi

Of course you would announce, months in advance, that the historical element 90% of the fanbase recognizes and would be interested in will be DLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g011KMnqDKQ

Oh well, bright side, 50% chance the game's as well done as Unity and we end up getting this one for free too?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I will take a hard pass on "Assassin's Creed: Syndicate: Prostitute Murderer DLC"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I will take a hard pass on "Assassin's Creed: Syndicate: Prostitute Murderer DLC"

Not sure if that was your implication but per Ubi's announcement Jack the Ripper is the antagonist of the DLC who you are trying to stop. You're not, like, actually playing as a guy who murders prostitutes.

Just the normal person who kills everybody.

• Options
    That was not the implication

Just that, even if you are hunting him, I don't really wanna play anything involving Jack the Ripper whose enduring role in pop culture I hate

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I mean, that being DLC was fairly predictable. You want the DLC to be something people would be interested in.

I assume there's going to be something more than "Prostitute murder, plus more horrific dismemberments." I hope. Please?

• Options

Just that, even if you are hunting him, I don't really wanna play anything involving Jack the Ripper whose enduring role in pop culture I hate

It's okay Blank, I'll do a very thorough Let's Play with an informative voiceover that you can watch!
    Did you know "lights" as used by butchers was a term for the lungs?
    Good, because you're going to be hearing it a lot

• Options

Considering Jack the Ripper's fame, notoriety, and the hefty albeit vague amount of historical data known about him (or her), combined with how his actions took place in the exact time and place ACS is set, it would have been pretty naive to think he wasn't going to be in the game.

My point was, given same reasons above, trying to use that as a DLC hook instead of being in the game by default because of that significance is near-absurd. It would have been like saying Napoleon was DLC-only in Unity or something. Jack the Ripper ties in perfectly with the investigation elements introduced in the Unity engine, and after the lost goodwill from Unity's release you'd have thought Ubi would have revealed this as a catch for the actual game, not immediately saying "hey, this cool thing in a game based on the engine of the last one that everyone hated? Pay more money for it!"

• Options
    I don't know where you are getting that I didn't think he'd be in the game

Literally all I said is that I will take a pass on the DLC because I hate Jack the Ripper stories

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I guess we just disagree then

I was really looking forward to Jack the Ripper being the core of a better/upgraded investigation sidequest

But I'm sure as shit not paying $30 for it

• Options
    Interesting that they seem to be hiding the protagonist of the dlc

Jack the Ripper is two decades after syndicate

PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.