As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fear [The Walking Thread]]: Also fear SPOILERS, of which there are many in here!

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    LaCabra wrote: »
    yeah what the hell, that was completely relatable and sensible.
    Hmm, my son said there are murderous flesh eaters in here. I should make sure to go at night, so my visibility is nil.

this is the classic commando on the internet crap that is the worst of walking dead threads. every move a character makes that is normal and human, rather than tried and tested left 4 dead strategy, is called out as dumb. reading good writing as bad writing and bad writing as good writing

it was dumb that he didn't make a bigger deal about the viscera to the wife when he got out of there though

This is like the opposite of Internet commando. It's cool that he's going to check out the scene. It's cool that he doesn't immediately call the police before going there.

It is stupid to go at night to a place where you are reasonably entertaining the notion that crazy folks are eating people. You do that shit during the day when you can actually see. It is especially stupid to find strong evidence that backs up your son's story about crazy murderers and then loudly announce your presence. It is stupid to see what is obviously a gruesome murder scene and not immediately call the authorities.

The human move there is not "investigate possible zombie attack", it is "gaaah fuck this noise I'm calling the police."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    He was screaming to get away from cal before he ran him over. He's ahead of the curve. He also knew the hospital was a bad place, might not know why, but he knew to get out of there.

And they are deadly because of the flu they give you, we saw that back in season 1. I just wonder if these early ones don't have the flu/infection yet.

You're right that zombie bites give you horrible fever that makes you die, but the reason behind that is that zombie bites are deadly because zombie bites are deadly.

Yeah, I don't think any of the details behind "zombie bites spread zombieitis" logic have been suggested in the show. I'm pretty sure all of that was just people here (or in the greater internet wild) trying to head-canon the logic.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm still amazed that TWD universe is a place where there is no zombie anything. It's the opposite of Izombies universe.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I don't mind slow burn.

This was just slow.

Also, druggie dad was fucking stupid.
    "Hmm, my son said there are murderous flesh eaters in here. I should make sure to go at night, so my visibility is nil. Oh hey, it's a pool of blood and gore indicating that some unspeakable violence occurred. I wonder if the perpetrators of this heinous crime are still here? I SHOULD ANNOUNCE MY PRESENCE TO THEM VERY LOUDLY AND SEE IF THEY ARE."

I dunno. I disagree totally here. I thought he was reasonable step dad trying to relate. Everyone else writes him off as a druggy, and he's like, hey, he's a junkie. But there's something possibly here. I mean, if you were step dad and step son is telling you this story, you're going to think he got high and killed people. And then, you go there, thinking maybe he got high and had a bad trip, and there's blood like there is. But, you look at it, and it's like, this isn't a bad trip murder, something really gruesome happened here. There's a lot of blood, a couple of teeth, and no body. Maybe the bad acid trip wasn't just a bad acid trip.

Maybe I'm just on team Step Dad.

I also think this is where dramatic irony becomes really important.

WE know that their society is on the brink of complete collapse. WE know that there will soon come a time when walking ANYWHERE alone, ESPECIALLY when it's dark, is likely to get you killed. But they don't know that. They don't recognize that danger.

You're SUPPOSED to be like, "DON'T GO IN THE CHURCH, THERE ARE ZOMBIES" but of course the character doesn't recognize how dangerous his situation is (or will soon be).

(Aside, we don't know the extent to which those zombies have moved. I was kind of surprised that (1) there were no zombies in there, and (2) we didn't see those same zombies show up somewhere else. The church looked difficult for a zombie to get out of -- I wonder if someone removed them? The government, maybe?)

• Options
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    He was screaming to get away from cal before he ran him over. He's ahead of the curve. He also knew the hospital was a bad place, might not know why, but he knew to get out of there.

And they are deadly because of the flu they give you, we saw that back in season 1. I just wonder if these early ones don't have the flu/infection yet.

You're right that zombie bites give you horrible fever that makes you die, but the reason behind that is that zombie bites are deadly because zombie bites are deadly.

Yeah, I don't think any of the details behind "zombie bites spread zombieitis" logic have been suggested in the show. I'm pretty sure all of that was just people here (or in the greater internet wild) trying to head-canon the logic.

Speaking of rules, I find something kind of interesting:

Back in Atlanta, everyone was really surprised that when someone dies WITHOUT a zombie bite, they turn into a zombie anyway.

This show makes you realize though, that probably lots and lots of survivors have already been clued into this fact, right? I mean, as the collapse of society is nigh, shouldn't there be tons of people killed via reasons that have nothing to do with a bite? Like the old man in the hospital, who was on his way out anyway and likely turned into a zombie quickly thereafter. Or traffic accidents, or gun accidents, or rioting, or a million other things.

• Options
    I think we can write off the people in Atlanta not knowing due to the nature of how crisis's work. Once shit hits the fan, knowledge goes out the window. Even if everyone in LA knew its not like they could tell everyone on the east coast or even states that boarder them. On top of that its not like everyone would believe them.

I get the sense based on how short of a time it took for shit to fall apart (what 30 days for georgia according to how long Rick was in a coma?) that when the apocalypse started, it was an immediate thing, and not a slow descent.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I did always find it weird that the word "zombie" doesn't exist in their universe. I get why they did it that way, and it's not like it detracts from the show, just kinda funny.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    It's not just the word, the entire concept of zombies as a whole don't exist.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Glenn during Season 2/3 when he jumped down into the well with the bloater mentions Portal as for why real life isn't like a video game.

Portal, a game made by Valve, who is also the same developer who made Left4Dead. A game about Zombies.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    In the comics they do use the word zombie.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

Glenn during Season 2/3 when he jumped down into the well with the bloater mentions Portal as for why real life isn't like a video game.

Portal, a game made by Valve, who is also the same developer who made Left4Dead. A game about Zombies.

In my headcannon, Valve made Half-Life 3 instead of Left4Dead in TWD universe.

... Would I brave the apocalypse for HL3? Hmm...

• Options
    In the comics they do use the word zombie.

I'm pretty sure I remember hearing Kirkman (probably on TTD) say that he tried for a long time to keep the word zombie out of the comic. But after a while it had slipped in a couple times by accident and it just became too much trouble to keep it up. So he gave up.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I'm still amazed that TWD universe is a place where there is no zombie anything. It's the opposite of Izombies universe.

That was one of the points of it. Nobody had any references to zombies or anything like that in their culture so when it it nobody had any clue what was going on and not even any mythology to fall back on.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    I don't mind slow burn.

This was just slow.

"Hmm, my son said there are murderous flesh eaters in here. I should make sure to go at night, so my visibility is nil. Oh hey, it's a pool of blood and gore indicating that some unspeakable violence occurred. I wonder if the perpetrators of this heinous crime are still here? I SHOULD ANNOUNCE MY PRESENCE TO THEM VERY LOUDLY AND SEE IF THEY ARE."

I dunno. I disagree totally here. I thought he was reasonable step dad trying to relate. Everyone else writes him off as a druggy, and he's like, hey, he's a junkie. But there's something possibly here. I mean, if you were step dad and step son is telling you this story, you're going to think he got high and killed people. And then, you go there, thinking maybe he got high and had a bad trip, and there's blood like there is. But, you look at it, and it's like, this isn't a bad trip murder, something really gruesome happened here. There's a lot of blood, a couple of teeth, and no body. Maybe the bad acid trip wasn't just a bad acid trip.

WE know that their society is on the brink of complete collapse. WE know that there will soon come a time when walking ANYWHERE alone, ESPECIALLY when it's dark, is likely to get you killed. But they don't know that. They don't recognize that danger.

You're SUPPOSED to be like, "DON'T GO IN THE CHURCH, THERE ARE ZOMBIES" but of course the character doesn't recognize how dangerous his situation is (or will soon be).

(Aside, we don't know the extent to which those zombies have moved. I was kind of surprised that (1) there were no zombies in there, and (2) we didn't see those same zombies show up somewhere else. The church looked difficult for a zombie to get out of -- I wonder if someone removed them? The government, maybe?)

Maybe it's just because I grew up in Detroit, but I was screaming "Don't go in the church at night! You're going to get stabbed by a junkie!"

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Well both are most likely dead. And Calvin was a jerk trying to off my new best bro Nick.

I recall a review saying this show needs a Daryl, and we already have one, when Nick cleans up he'll be the one showing these people how to live when society falls apart, he already knows that part for much the same reason Daryl did, because to him everything has already fallen apart.

Can't tell if you're joking. Nothing has happened or been suggested to happen to the boyfriend of the daughter character.

I did see a person in a different comment section assume that the two young black men in the show were the same guy. Come on guys, not cool. Are we gonna have to bring Sam Jackson in here to explain this shit again?

• Options
    Well both are most likely dead. And Calvin was a jerk trying to off my new best bro Nick.

I recall a review saying this show needs a Daryl, and we already have one, when Nick cleans up he'll be the one showing these people how to live when society falls apart, he already knows that part for much the same reason Daryl did, because to him everything has already fallen apart.

Can't tell if you're joking. Nothing has happened or been suggested to happen to the boyfriend of the daughter character.

I did see a person in a different comment section assume that the two young black men in the show were the same guy. Come on guys, not cool. Are we gonna have to bring Sam Jackson in here to explain this shit again?

It totally has though. She kept complaining during the second half of the episode that he wasn't returning her texts and he wasn't at school the next day.

He's totally dead.

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

It totally has though. She kept complaining during the second half of the episode that he wasn't returning her texts and he wasn't at school the next day.

He's totally dead.

Also when she was
    waiting for him at the beach after school, she kept texting him saying she was there, where are you. Then 'you better be dead' or something to that effect, because naturally that's the only reason he wouldn't respond to a text message.
    RIP in peace, boyfriend guy.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    I don't mind slow burn.

This was just slow.

Maybe it's just because I grew up in Detroit, but I was screaming "Don't go in the church at night! You're going to get stabbed by a junkie!"

Which is a reasonable concern, seeing how his junkie stepson spent time there.

• Options
    Look Cliff Curtis is an english teacher already the domain of the not reasonably intelligent set...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

He's totally dead.

Also when she was
    waiting for him at the beach after school, she kept texting him saying she was there, where are you. Then 'you better be dead' or something to that effect, because naturally that's the only reason he wouldn't respond to a text message.
    RIP in peace, boyfriend guy.

shes totally going to go looking for him and nearly get eaten

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I thought the pilot was not great but not terrible. I've liked Kim Dickens since Deadwood. Main observations:

- Having Randy from The Wire be the daughter's loving boyfriend and then having him go missing probably to be a zombie is bullshit. After what The Wire did to Randy, I need the actor to get a win. Let him kill some zombies or something, come on.

- The junkie son is low-budget Tim Riggins.

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    He reminds me of a young Johnny Depp. Very strong Gilbert Grape likeness.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Siska wrote: »
    He reminds me of a young Johnny Depp. Very strong Gilbert Grape likeness.

This is exactly what I was thinking when he was in the back of the truck with mom and step dad losing his mind. Kept thinking of Depp in nightmare on elmstreet.

• Options
    Great now I have this horrible image of someone getting drug under a waterbed to die by a group of zombos.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The kid is definitely a great actor

I enjoyed watching him

• Options
    The kid is definitely a great actor

I enjoyed watching him

Seriously. Like we'll see if it was just direction/luck, but he did a great job of portraying strung out junkie.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    As mentioned earlier, he is Stannis' son, so there's plenty of talent in that gene pool.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    He's the son of Stannis the Mannis?

Kinda fits

For the night is dark and full of terrors zombies
    Kid == Azor Ahai?

Melkster on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    I picked the Johnny Depp resemblance, my gf reckoned he looks like the progeny of Johnny Depp and James Franco.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Well, I'm about to watch the first episode.

But I go into this show already hating it as the world's most unnecessary spin-off.

I mean c'mon.

"Fear" The Walking Dead?

Sounds like a 12-year-old's Walking Dead fan fic.

RT800 on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Well, I'm about to watch the first episode.

But I go into this show already hating it as the world's most unnecessary spin-off.

I mean c'mon.

"Fear" The Walking Dead?

Sounds like a 12-year-old's Walking Dead fan fic.

And that's why I liked it even though a lot of people have reacted negatively. I thought it was very different and enjoyed the aspect it felt like it's own thing. I thought it was going to be a clone, and why did we need this.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Aaaaand done.
    It was okay.

I was constantly annoyed that they pulled the old "main witness is a druggie so no one will believe him" routine they did to drag out the reveal. Also the idea that no one felt the need to let the police know about a church full of blood and gore.

otherwise it was fairly unremarkable. Could go somewhere or nowhere. Guess we'll see.

I just... don't like that one of the main characters is a drug addict. I get that it can be compelling and all but I am just not looking forward to the inevitable "going through withdrawl" episode, followed by the inevitable "finds a stash of drugs" episode. It makes his arc seem tired and predictable already.

But who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.

RT800 on
  • Options
    G/f and I also commented on the Gilbert Grape Johnny Depp.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    Aaaaand done.
    It was okay.

I was constantly annoyed that they pulled the old "main witness is a druggie so no one will believe him" routine they did to drag out the reveal. Also the idea that no one felt the need to let the police know about a church full of blood and gore.

otherwise it was fairly unremarkable. Could go somewhere or nowhere. Guess we'll see.

I just... don't like that one of the main characters is a drug addict. I get that it can be compelling and all but I am just not looking forward to the inevitable "going through withdrawl" episode, followed by the inevitable "finds a stash of drugs" episode. It makes his arc seem tired and predictable already.

But who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.

A bunch of us see his arc being similar to Darrell's, in that he's an outcast of pre-apocolypse society that finds his true strength and place in the post-apocolypse. And that's an arc I'm pretty interested in seeing.

• Options
    Can we all swing back and agree that "If there was a problem, we would know about it. The authorities would tell us" might be the dumbest thing anyone has ever said on any tv show ever?

• Options
    No? It's a common belief people have in society. We trust our government despite what the internet would have you believe. We literally believe if there was a big epidemic they'd tell us about it, because mostly the government would.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Didn't they show how silly that was too?

• Options
    Regarding the police:

The Mom and Dad seemed VERY skeptical of the police in general. Mom originally told off the police at the start of the show (I thought she might've been his lawyer or something). And it was only after a TON of searching on their part for their boy that they talked about maybe calling the cops.

I have a feeling that they have had some serious problems with the cops in the past, and that they don't trust them or find them to be helpful at all.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Well as parents of a junkie they probably have gotten used to how unhelpful the police can be. The police want him to go to prison, they want him to get treatment.

Also I guess there will be a stand alone short that will play during commercials about a zombo attack on a plane and someone from the short will join season 2 of fear the walking dead.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Well as parents of a junkie they probably have gotten used to how unhelpful the police can be. The police want him to go to prison, they want him to get treatment.

Also I guess there will be a stand alone short that will play during commercials about a zombo attack on a plane and someone from the short will join season 2 of fear the walking dead.

That's a very specific guess.

This discussion has been closed.