As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] The Turkey Coma Dale Fest Party Long Weekend Thing has arrived!

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    either,or wrote: »
    Hello again steam thread!
    Recently my borderline personality disorder has gotten the best of me once again after some traumatic events in my personal life (for me, I imagine most normal people would shrug them off!)
    Anyway at the moment things feel very bleak. I have been signed off work until I return to a normal emotional baseline but I have nothing to do. I'm trying to abstain from drinking, drugs, all the self destructive behaviours I would usually indulge in and just make things worse. So basically I need some cheap game recommendations to keep me busy and keep my mind off of what has happened. I have a ton of steam games but none of them are really calling out to me. Is there anything you can suggest that are light, happy and that I will enjoy? Lately I've lost my interest in games, as well as most other things, but I think I'm looking for the wrong ones. I need something positive to fill up my days at the moment and thought this place might be the most knowledgable about games I can find on steam.

Also, please don't misconstrue this as a begging post. I've had this conversation with my dad too, who is an avid gamer, though we have very different tastes. He has told me that if I can find a game that might make me feel a bit better he will buy it for me, whatever it is, so I'm not looking for gifts :) He suggested Dragon Age Inquisition, but I'm not sure that's the kind of world I want to escape in to right now.

I just recently got Craft the World, and have been having a lot of fun with it. It has a very bright and beautiful visual style, and I'm finding the gameplay very relaxing, yet compelling enough to hold my attention for long periods of time. If you have any interest in world building/exploring games (it's basically terraria/lemmings), this is a must have.

• Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, so I finally moved. I'm now in a flat with access to a fiber connection of 100Mbps!

...except that the router is on the other bloody side of the house and the flat is old and therefore so thick and labyrinthine that even with a wifi repeater I get about 7 Mbps maximum in my own room according to speedtest (which, granted, is still way better than what I had before). Whenever I want to actually download something I'm going to have to go to the family living room with the huge computer, connect everything, and connect directly through ethernet there, with all the accompanying complaining by the family.

So close and yet so far. Wah.

Have you tried some Homeplug adapters? They can sometimes be great for situations like this.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    DaxterMaxDaxterMax Registered User regular
    A gift awaits me out of the blue as soon as I log into steam.
    It's Runers from @Sokpuppet.

QytFG4i.jpg

Thank you very much.
    I've been known to get slightly addicted to rogue-like games.

Steam | DaxterMax | Youtube
  • Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Recently my borderline personality disorder has gotten the best of me once again after some traumatic events in my personal life (for me, I imagine most normal people would shrug them off!)
    Anyway at the moment things feel very bleak. I have been signed off work until I return to a normal emotional baseline but I have nothing to do. I'm trying to abstain from drinking, drugs, all the self destructive behaviours I would usually indulge in and just make things worse. So basically I need some cheap game recommendations to keep me busy and keep my mind off of what has happened. I have a ton of steam games but none of them are really calling out to me. Is there anything you can suggest that are light, happy and that I will enjoy? Lately I've lost my interest in games, as well as most other things, but I think I'm looking for the wrong ones. I need something positive to fill up my days at the moment and thought this place might be the most knowledgable about games I can find on steam.

Also, please don't misconstrue this as a begging post. I've had this conversation with my dad too, who is an avid gamer, though we have very different tastes. He has told me that if I can find a game that might make me feel a bit better he will buy it for me, whatever it is, so I'm not looking for gifts :) He suggested Dragon Age Inquisition, but I'm not sure that's the kind of world I want to escape in to right now.

I haven't played it, but I remember watching Berylline‌ stream some of The Last Tinker for her 24hr stream. From what I saw it might fit the bill if you like 3D platformers.

I also second the suggestion for any of the lego games.

@either,or I agree. The Last Tinker is a fun, upbeat, colorful action-adventure platformer. I also agree on the Lego games. If you like adventure games at all, I'd highly recommend Botanicula. It's one of my favorite feel-good games. I also agree with Drake's recommendation of Proteus. A few other games that I've really enjoyed and would put safely in the "upbeat" category are Mini Ninjas, an action-adventure game, and The Tiny Bang Story (which is on super-sale at the moment), a puzzle/point-and-click game.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I mentioned a while ago I bought an xbox 360 wireless dongle and was having driver problems, someone pointed me to a work around but I can't find the post. Windows has mostly been useless, can anyone help?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Berylline wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »

I haven't played it, but I remember watching Berylline‌ stream some of The Last Tinker for her 24hr stream. From what I saw it might fit the bill if you like 3D platformers.

I also second the suggestion for any of the lego games.

either,or I agree. The Last Tinker is a fun, upbeat, colorful action-adventure platformer. I also agree on the Lego games. If you like adventure games at all, I'd highly recommend Botanicula. It's one of my favorite feel-good games. I also agree with Drake's recommendation of Proteus. A few other games that I've really enjoyed and would put safely in the "upbeat" category are Mini Ninjas, an action-adventure game, and The Tiny Bang Story (which is on super-sale at the moment), a puzzle/point-and-click game.

I forgot about Min-Ninjas! Mainly because I've only played the demo, but oh my god is that game bursting with cute and happy. And a good amount of exploration in a very nicely crafted environment, if the demo is anything to go by. I know it worked in getting me to buy the game, that's for sure. :wink:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    @either,or, I find Fortix and Fortix 2 nice, zone out diversions. Something like PvZ, Kingdom Rush or Orcs Must Die might fit that bill too. (You could coop the last one with your Dad as an added bonus.)

The King's Bounty games are bright and often funny. (Really long too. A good gameplay value.)

The Costume Quest games are adorable.

If you want to get off a negative tip, maybe a game without killing like Euro Truck 2 or a railroad/city builder. My son's been enjoying Sid Meier's Railroads! lately.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    either,oreither,or Registered User regular
    Thank you all SO MUCH for your recommendations, I will be checking them out and see which one I like the look of best. Thank you steam thread, you're lovely people.

steam_sig.png
    3DS friend code: 4811-7214-5053
  • Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    @either,or I haven't played the sequel yet but Half Minute Hero was good light hearted fun. Also maybe the various Zeboyd games. If you don't mind sacrificing cute little green guys to science there's Kerbal Space Program. Explosions are fun and if you do make it to space it's very peaceful up there.

HyphyKezzy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    HyphyKezzy wrote: »
    @either,or I haven't played the sequel yet but Half Minute Hero was good light hearted fun. Also maybe the various Zeboyd games. If you don't mind sacrificing cute little green guys to science there's Kerbal Space Program. Explosions are fun and if you do make it to space it's very peaceful up there.

Game Dev Tycoon is a nice distraction as well. Freecol may be worth a download.

edit: What software are you people using to record video of you playing? I've been using DXtory's free trial and 4.4 gigs for 5 minutes of video seems a bit odd.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Grats @ToyD‌ !
    signature.png
    This one ends tomorrow:
    signature.png

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So, I have money in my Steam Wallet and the card sale at Target ends today. The wife is going to buy me new cards today so I'm trying to decide if I should get more Steam Dollars or buy Origin Dollars so I can get Dragon Age...

^ My vote.

You're good enough.
    You're smart enough.
    And, gosh darnit, people like you!

It is possible to validate your choices without asking others.

You don't seem to like the people here very much. There is nothing wrong with asking friends for their opinions on what to purchase. If somebody wants to talk about the myriad ways they might spend their money and that offends you for some reason then maybe this isn't the thread for you - because we do that a lot.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I will add a raised hand for Mini Ninjas. It's charming as all get out, loads of just-plain-fun, active, and has a lot of exploration/collect-the-whatsits value.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Thank you all SO MUCH for your recommendations, I will be checking them out and see which one I like the look of best. Thank you steam thread, you're lovely people.

You might give Endless Legend, Endless Space and Transistor a glance, if any of them are your style of thing. Maybe Steamworld Dig and The Tesla Effect too.

Unrelatedly: Thanks and curses (mostly thanks) are due to @Shade for the gift of bovine murder simulator The Culling of the Cows

Living out in farm country, that seems rather appropriate - thanks mate!

• Options
    in other news, the car that needed about $1,000 worth of work got hit and most likely totaled today. When I said that I didn't want to pay to replace the airbag system this isn't the alternative situation that I had in mind.

But I got a PSN card and a Steam card yesterday from the target sale so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

I'm also closing in on the end of Shadow of Mordor and I don't want it to end. It is the single most fun game I've played all year. I like it enough that I think I'm going to try for all of the trophies - there are some interesting ones in that list.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    It's a good thing that you didn't need the faulty airbags in that accident at least?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Spoit wrote: »
    It's a good thing that you didn't need the faulty airbags in that accident at least?

For sure. My wife is talking with insurance companies right now because she was the only one in the car when it got hit. No injuries that we can see, but her neck hurts so that is a mandatory trip to the doctor. I just hope that report comes back "you'll be fine in a couple of days" and not "here is how we treat whiplash." :(

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Grats @ToyD‌ !
    signature.png
    This one ends tomorrow:
    signature.png

It's rainin games.
    Hallelujah
    It's rainin games.
    Hallelujah.

Thanks @Zavian.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

For sure. My wife is talking with insurance companies right now because she was the only me who got hit. No injuries that we can see, but her neck hurts so that is a mandatory trip to the doctor. I just hope that report comes back "you'll be fine in a couple of days" and not "here is how we treat whiplash." :(

Fingers crossed she's okay. Do let us know.

In a way that's kind of a blessing with the car, I guess if the insurance company pays up. I was in a similar situation once, back in 2005... my car's clutch was on its way out and I had no idea how I was going to afford to get it fixed. As luck would have it, it got totalled in a crash where thankfully everyone was fine, but the cars weren't, and the insurance company, upon assessing my car, gave me straight up what the car was worth (assuming its clutch had been okay). I was sad to lose that particular car but in a way I came out ahead. I hindsight I should've bought the car back off them for relative peanuts and fixed it up, but it was a job beyond my capabilities and I wasn't sure I could've enlisted the help at the time.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Proteus may be something you want to look into @either,or‌. It's the most soothing game ever.

If anyone here plays Proteus, after playing through it once or twice, you might look into the mod Purgateus. To quote the page:
    Purgateus is a Proteus mod by Devine Lu Linvega (aka Aliceffekt), inspired by a tweet by Ian Snyder. This world behaves just like Proteus, but looks and sounds different. In some strange ways, this is a video game remix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUvKDi-cFng

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I mentioned a while ago I bought an xbox 360 wireless dongle and was having driver problems, someone pointed me to a work around but I can't find the post. Windows has mostly been useless, can anyone help?
    @Doodmann Oh blah I look this up like every time I use it and I think it is...

Right click on Computer
    Go to Properties
    Click on Device Manager
    Right click on the Unidentified Device
    Go to Properties
    Go to the Drive tab
    Click on Update Driver…
    Browse my computer for driver software
    Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    Windows Common Controller for Window Class
    Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows Version: 2.1.0.1349 [8/13/2009]
    Update Driver Warning
    Click Yes

stolen from: this answers.microsoft.com post

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ugh, I was nearly at the end of Never Alone and the game lost my save.

EDIT: It's apparently a not uncommon issue, so you guys may want to wait before grabbing this game.

This should be fixed in the patch we pushed last night. Get ahold of our support guys through our website at neveralonegame.com, we should be able to provide you with a save file to restore your progress if you let us know how far you had made it before this happened.

I saw the patch this morning and just played through it again from the beginning. Thanks for the quick response and offer, though! It was a cool game.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    So any word on if there will be a big sale this coming week?

My son's birthday is tomorrow, so I took advantage of Target's card sale and grabbed him $80 in Steam cards.

Just want to be sure I'm not wrong to tell him to wait till Thursday/Friday to buy anything.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    There's a big sale due? I thought we were at least a few weeks out from the Winter one

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    There's a big sale due? I thought we were at least a few weeks out from the Winter one

There's going to be a Black friday/Thanksgiving sale that's probably just going to be "Games are on sale' while the Winter One will be the one with cards and daily deals.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Turkey sale is Wednesday-Monday

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Well, so I finally moved. I'm now in a flat with access to a fiber connection of 100Mbps!

...except that the router is on the other bloody side of the house and the flat is old and therefore so thick and labyrinthine that even with a wifi repeater I get about 7 Mbps maximum in my own room according to speedtest (which, granted, is still way better than what I had before). Whenever I want to actually download something I'm going to have to go to the family living room with the huge computer, connect everything, and connect directly through ethernet there, with all the accompanying complaining by the family.

You can find 100ft ethernet cables for like $8-$15 in Ameridollars on Amazon, they shouldn't be too expensive in Europe (which is where I am assuming you live since you said "flat").

Get white ones and run them along your baseboards with cable clips (basically tiny hooks that go into your walls like nails) and you'll hardly even notice it (assuming your walls are white). Alternately you can route it up the wall and have it follow the edge where your ceiling meets the walls, or you can even run it through heating vents if possible (most cat5 cabling is rated for use up to anywhere from 150-200f).

Then you'll get sweet, sweet hardline speeds without having to lug your system around the house whenever you want to download something large.
    in other news, the car that needed about $1,000 worth of work got hit and most likely totaled today. When I said that I didn't want to pay to replace the airbag system this isn't the alternative situation that I had in mind.

I once had a guy at a used car lot try to sell me a Tiburon once. He went on and on about how "fast" it was. Then he told me that he had "just redid the whole front end" and "replaced the windshield". Then I looked in the cab and saw a nice square shaped hole in the center of the steering wheel and instantly knew why he had to redo the front end and replace the windshield.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    So apparently, @Spoit noticed this from a few pages back . . .
    j7coney6uuoj.jpg

No, no I have not. My childhood/young adulthood gaming was almost exclusive to the consoles, and in fact I have done more PC gaming in the past year (it was last year around this time that I really started using my Steam account) than I ever did in the past years of my life. In fact, the only games I have not played on the computer this past year were Epic Mickey, Castlevania:Lords of Shadow:Mirror of Fate and Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

I blame you classy monsters. :heartbeat:

Also, today was the day my family actually celebrated my birthday, so I got back to this gift right after the celebration. So I'm counting it as another birthday gift. :wink:

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Oh man, new to Deus Ex?

Envious doesn't even say it. If there's one game I wish I could forget and then experience anew, that would be it. Enjoy the ride!

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I don't know about you, but I never played Desu ex either.

My kawaii is augmented.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but I never played Desu ex either.

My kawaii is augmented.

And now I want a cute as all hell cyperpunk game. Thanks. :wink:

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

For sure. My wife is talking with insurance companies right now because she was the only one in the car when it got hit. No injuries that we can see, but her neck hurts so that is a mandatory trip to the doctor. I just hope that report comes back "you'll be fine in a couple of days" and not "here is how we treat whiplash." :(

yes whiplash sucks. i am now like two years from getting rear-ended and my neck is just starting to feel mostly normal

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Query: has Aquaria ever gone on sale?

Statement: The image for TERA on the ol' Wishlist has changed to reflect the fact that their new expansion is impending.

Informational: I got my first Steam card today as a gift. There is a strange, raw power in watching that "Steam Wallet" number increase.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    Also, that sound you heard was twenty people (including me) re-installing DX. It's so good, even though the farthest I've ever gotten was getting out of UNATCO.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    @Doodman thanks for Nimble Quest! I'm kind of charmed by the "your unstoppable (seriously, you can't stop) party" joke and I am going to investigate further.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Query: has Aquaria ever gone on sale?

Statement: The image for TERA on the ol' Wishlist has changed to reflect the fact that their new expansion is impending.

Informational: I got my first Steam card today as a gift. There is a strange, raw power in watching that "Steam Wallet" number increase.

It's been in humble bundles before...

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Yeah I got Aquaria ages ago in a bundle I think. It's neat! It's kind of overshadowed by the sheer number of Metroid-alikes that have come out recently, but it's good and calming.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Damn, I forgot to stop at target on my way home from work tonight to get steam cards. Probably for the best that skip out on the thanksgiving sale due to my lack of pc gaming lately, though I probably should start stocking up for the Winter Gale soon.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Aquaria's been in 2 bundles and on sale once, that I remember.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

You can find 100ft ethernet cables for like $8-$15 in Ameridollars on Amazon, they shouldn't be too expensive in Europe (which is where I am assuming you live since you said "flat").

Get white ones and run them along your baseboards with cable clips (basically tiny hooks that go into your walls like nails) and you'll hardly even notice it (assuming your walls are white). Alternately you can route it up the wall and have it follow the edge where your ceiling meets the walls, or you can even run it through heating vents if possible (most cat5 cabling is rated for use up to anywhere from 150-200f).

Then you'll get sweet, sweet hardline speeds without having to lug your system around the house whenever you want to download something large.

I once had a guy at a used car lot try to sell me a Tiburon once. He went on and on about how "fast" it was. Then he told me that he had "just redid the whole front end" and "replaced the windshield". Then I looked in the cab and saw a nice square shaped hole in the center of the steering wheel and instantly knew why he had to redo the front end and replace the windshield.

Good advice on the ethernet cables, but absolutely best place to buy is http://monoprice.com. $7.62 for 100ft, you can get couplers to extend to 200 or 300 if you need that much. Check out the other shit they've got, they basically sell at wholesale prices and I suspect most of their stuff is the unbranded things you buy from big box stores.

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.