As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] The Turkey Coma Dale Fest Party Long Weekend Thing has arrived!

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Karoz wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    So, I note that the GOTY Dishonored is slightly above ten bucks. I also note that the two DLC I have on my wishlist for Dishonored add up to just slightly under ten bucks. Is there a reason to not get the extra DLC for a few cents more?

If you already have the base game then you're SOL for getting the GOTY Dishonored, it won't give you anything extra. If you don't have the base then GOTY will end up saving you $5+ on the DLC.

I do have the base game; it was a gift. It wouldn't give me the DLC? That's . . . annoying. Well, I guess it's wait until the DLC hits a sale better than 50% off.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    So @Jazz felt I needed creepy in my life and sent me an indie gala link for The Moon Sliver. Thanks! :heartbeat:

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Divinity missed an opportunity here. I feel like at $20 they would have been Top Ten sellers easily and at $15-16 could have locked up #1 for a day. It is such an incredibly good game (a GOTY contender, if not a winner in a strong year). But I can see folks who aren't ga-ga for the old-timey flavor holding out on a SP game with no real reason not to wait.

EDIT: Oh, hey, Dragon Commander for $10. I can see a bunch of folks snapping that up.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    There are worse ways to spend $2.50 than buying
    header.jpg?t=1415905371

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Been a while.

signature.png Blood of the Werewolf

signature.png Pixeljunk Eden
    signature.png Defenders Quest

Edit:Signatures are really wonky.

Repost for the afternoon!

BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So, I note that the GOTY Dishonored is slightly above ten bucks. I also note that the two DLC I have on my wishlist for Dishonored add up to just slightly under ten bucks. Is there a reason to not get the extra DLC for a few cents more?

If you already have the base game then you're SOL for getting the GOTY Dishonored, it won't give you anything extra. If you don't have the base then GOTY will end up saving you $5+ on the DLC.

I do have the base game; it was a gift. It wouldn't give me the DLC? That's . . . annoying. Well, I guess it's wait until the DLC hits a sale better than 50% off.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. It should give you all the DLC but you won't receive an extra copy of Dishonored is the usual hang up.

By price you're right it is a bit cheaper to go for the GOTY edition than individual DLC.

Karoz on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    $10 for RE6 still? Seriously, Capcom? Ugh.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. It should give you all the DLC but you won't receive an extra copy of Dishonored is the usual hang up.

By price you're right it is a bit cheaper to go for the GOTY edition than individual DLC.

Yeah, it usually is. I'm not so hung up on getting an extra copy of the game, I already know that doesn't work from getting the franchise pack of Darksiders to get all the DLC and Darksiders II for cheap during the last Winter Gale. ;)

I think I might use some of my spare time today to see about writing to Steam with the suggestion of enabling wishlisting of GOTY type editions. I mean, 9 times out of 10 it's the one I want anyway . . .

Edit: or just give up when I encounter their labyrinthine contact scheme and say, "well played, Valve . . ."

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    OK guys, question. Is Secret World worth it at $11? I've been looking at it for a while but I'd like to hear what you guys think about it.

If you're looking for super awesome gameplay probably not worth it.

If you want to explore some of the best world building in an MMO then absolutely.

What is the gameplay like?

Fairly standard rotation stuff (if that, most damage output amounts to builder x5>spenders>repeat, with a few cooldowns for harder fights and such). Bigger enemy attacks do have telegraphs on the ground. And the actual skill setup is crazy and something I wish would be copied more (Most attacks have keywords. Most passives affect keywords or trigger off them. So you can have a build where your main attacks are all of the Burst type, then you have a bunch of passives that say "On burst attack, do X extra effect", for instance).

Questing is mostly standard, aside from investigation missions (which require actually pulling shit up on wikipedia and google and such to solve the puzzles. Or looking the answers up... which given their massive XP rewards is a temptation). The fact that I could solve even one without a guide is something I'm sort of proud of (mainly because it amounts mainly to sneaking around and finding mathematical patterns. I'm good at math).

But as noted, what it absolutely excels at is its worldbuilding. The first couple zones in particular are just crazy well done.

You can basically do everything on one character (There's even a reward for learning every skill), so the only reason to roll another is to try other factions stories (or get at their faction-specific outfits, but those all need a lot of time investment to get at).

Is there a lot of people actually playing it or is it kind of barren?

It's not the most populous MMO out there but it's far from dead. A nice thing is that regardless of the server you choose to make a character on, you can join a party with a character from a different server (you just have to reload so you're in the same server as them for the duration). That said, I'd recommend picking a more populated server as your default anyway, so you can encounter more people organically. There are a number of chat channels you can join to find groups of people to party with or ask for help with missions.

If you are going to get The Secret World, I recommend getting the Massive Edition, as it comes with some DLC bundled in that at the current price ($20.39) is less than the DLC would cost to buy separately, never mind the base game itself.

But it's buy once, play forever, and it's my most-played game on Steam. 665 hours and counting. (And I actually owned a non-Steam copy of the game for a while, too...)

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    OK guys, question. Is Secret World worth it at $11? I've been looking at it for a while but I'd like to hear what you guys think about it.

If you want to explore some of the best world building in an MMO then absolutely.

Fairly standard rotation stuff (if that, most damage output amounts to builder x5>spenders>repeat, with a few cooldowns for harder fights and such). Bigger enemy attacks do have telegraphs on the ground. And the actual skill setup is crazy and something I wish would be copied more (Most attacks have keywords. Most passives affect keywords or trigger off them. So you can have a build where your main attacks are all of the Burst type, then you have a bunch of passives that say "On burst attack, do X extra effect", for instance).

Questing is mostly standard, aside from investigation missions (which require actually pulling shit up on wikipedia and google and such to solve the puzzles. Or looking the answers up... which given their massive XP rewards is a temptation). The fact that I could solve even one without a guide is something I'm sort of proud of (mainly because it amounts mainly to sneaking around and finding mathematical patterns. I'm good at math).

But as noted, what it absolutely excels at is its worldbuilding. The first couple zones in particular are just crazy well done.

You can basically do everything on one character (There's even a reward for learning every skill), so the only reason to roll another is to try other factions stories (or get at their faction-specific outfits, but those all need a lot of time investment to get at).

It's not the most populous MMO out there but it's far from dead. A nice thing is that regardless of the server you choose to make a character on, you can join a party with a character from a different server (you just have to reload so you're in the same server as them for the duration). That said, I'd recommend picking a more populated server as your default anyway, so you can encounter more people organically. There are a number of chat channels you can join to find groups of people to party with or ask for help with missions.

If you are going to get The Secret World, I recommend getting the Massive Edition, as it comes with some DLC bundled in that at the current price ($20.39) is less than the DLC would cost to buy separately, never mind the base game itself.

But it's buy once, play forever, and it's my most-played game on Steam. 665 hours and counting. (And I actually owned a non-Steam copy of the game for a while, too...)

If I wind up getting it I can't get the massive edition. My Steam wallet has taken a bit of a hit stocking up for... reasons

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I am literally 1 cent away from having enough to send my friend a gift. Time to find a card I don't like!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    But I can see folks who aren't ga-ga for the old-timey flavor holding out on a SP game with no real reason not to wait.

I friend and I made a pact to get the double-pack when it was on sale, regardless of how deep the sale was. So we did that, because you can't just break a covenant.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

If I wind up getting it I can't get the massive edition. My Steam wallet has taken a bit of a hit stocking up for... reasons

The DLC is end-game stuff anyway, so you'll have a lot of playtime before getting to them. And like I said, when it's on sale like this, it's lower than buying the DLC separately anyway, so you can always buy Massive Edition later on. That's what I had ended up doing.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Iolo wrote: »
    Divinity missed an opportunity here. I feel like at $20 they would have been Top Ten sellers easily and at $15-16 could have locked up #1 for a day. It is such an incredibly good game (a GOTY contender, if not a winner in a strong year). But I can see folks who aren't ga-ga for the old-timey flavor holding out on a SP game with no real reason not to wait.

EDIT: Oh, hey, Dragon Commander for $10. I can see a bunch of folks snapping that up.

Yeah, that's more or less my problem with everything that's on sale right now that also resides on my wishlist; it's all just above impulse buy, and have also all made it through the "wait until later filter".

But hey, they have another chance during the Winter Gale!

Also, concerning Dragon Commander: what the hell am I looking at here? I think it looks interesting, I think, but . . . what? Is it an action game, a strategy game, what?

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    I wonder if anyone is still playing DayZ for ArmA II? 8 bucks for the whole pack is tempting.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone is still playing DayZ for ArmA II? 8 bucks for the whole pack is tempting.

A whole bunch of people probably.

Plus the rest of Arma 2 is worth $8 easily.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »

A whole bunch of people probably.

Plus the rest of Arma 2 is worth $8 easily.

I should have been more clear. I meant do -we- have people playing. I think the SE++ guys have a standalone server, but the standalone is so far off the rails at this point I don't see a point in it right now.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    So I come home from work check my email, and see this!
    XAPkfmX.jpg
    So much thanks, @durandal4532‌ ! I work at an office typing up documents all day, so this has been a guilty pleasure I've been eying for quite some time; Dystopian Document Thriller? Yes, Please ;D

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    tumblr_nfvc7yYzfN1r7bslio1_1280.jpg

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Oh, hey! China Basin!

• Options
    Kashaar wrote: »
    tumblr_nfvc7yYzfN1r7bslio1_1280.jpg

It's creepy as hell that Geth agrees with that post.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Yay for selling cards! Now my best friend (who just moved back to town after being gone for 2 years) has Saints Row IV Game of the Century!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Yay for selling cards! Now my best friend (who just moved back to town after being gone for 2 years) has Saints Row IV Game of the Century!

A Damn fine way to welcome your friend back. You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Who appreciates the ginger things in life like getting to play with goddamn superpowers. Your friend is in for real treat.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I opted not to pick up The Secret World and instead bought more ammo for the Gifting Ninjas. You won't see them coming >;)

Tis the season, after all.

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    I was confused when @Zavian gave me a copy of EDGE. I thought I already owned and enjoyed this game.

Turns out I enjoyed RUSH, another cube-based puzzle game from the same developer. So EDGE should be the same but better. Thanks @Zavian!

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Aw @Zavian got me Chuck's Challenge 3D! He's so nice guys.

Also EDGE is very, very good.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Ah, back home in time to properly take advantage of the sale.

Also, any rumors that I've gotten sucked into Dragon Age: Inquisition at last and thus might not have time to actually play some of these things are totally unfounded.

I will make time for Space Hulk Ascension Legendary suffering, I swear.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Damn it, Newell, stop making me second guess buying Alien Isolation. Sure, 25% off is pretty good, but I can't help to think it might get a bigger discount in less than a month.

I hate you Newell, so very much.
    I don't mean it, you fabulous bearded Minch. I love your sales. And you. Kisses?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Damn it, Newell, stop making me second guess buying Alien Isolation. Sure, 25% off is pretty good, but I can't help to think it might get a bigger discount in less than a month.

I don't mean it, you fabulous bearded Minch. I love your sales. And you. Kisses?
    I'm going back and forth on buying it from Nuuvem at the moment, it's less than 16 USD there.

Edit: Looks like that sale just ended. That makes my decision easier.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Darlan wrote: »

I'm going back and forth on buying it from Nuuvem at the moment, it's less than 16 USD there.

I picked it up from the Humble sale a couple of days ago.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »

Nuuvem?

To the googles!

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    @subi just let me know that Chaos Domain is currently free at the Indiegala store. And now I'm letting you all know!

(Even if the Steam reviews are bad, but the takeaway seems to be "play with a 360 controller". But hey, free. And the description starts with "Chaos Domain is a game about shooting bad people in the face", and that's pretty cool.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    aaaaand day after I buy walking dead season 2, GMG has it for over 2 bucks cheaper.

fuck me

edit

nevermind, its season one! reading comprehension!

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    @Halfazedninja‌ snuck into my Steam library and left a gift behind.
    Thanks for The Tiny Bang Story!
    T2xP7cM.jpg

akajaybay on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Tiny Bang Story?

So many comments.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Oh dang, I made the mistake of buying Saints Row 4 and a GOTC upgrade for 11.80 overall. Now the GOTC edition is like 10 bucks.

It was a gift for someone so I don't feel so bad, but I like serving the Newell as efficiently as possible whenever possible.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I was away this weekend, but 'lo and behold look what was waiting on my virtual doorstep:

rKQUgO7.jpg

Thanks @HyphyKezzy, it's always nice to come home to surprises! Your well-meaning advice will surely fall on deaf ears, but I think the banner itself should survive, and so—moral victory!

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    How long does this sale last?

Until Tuesday I think?

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

signature.png

@Zavian is the winner!

There may be a new weekly giftaway incoming, I'm not sure yet!

This discussion has been closed.