As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Official Challenge Coin Thread] Orders open until Jan 25.

MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
edited December 2014 in PAX South
Click here to pre order your PAX South 2015 Challenge Coin. Place your order by Dec 20 to get them before PAX South. Coins can be ordered up to the last day of PAX South, but only those ordered by Dec 20 will arrive before PAX South.

Update Dec 16 2014 - Some people have said they would like a coin but the cost of shipping is too high because they live outside the US. If you would like a coin, but don't want to pay international shipping fees PM me and I'll allow you to ship your coins to me for delivery at PAX.

Update Dec 13 2014 - The die has been funded! The pre order deadline is Friday, Dec 19. Click here to pre order your PAX South 2015 Challenge Coin.

Update Dec 9 2014 - The GoFundMe page to pay for the die is live now! Click here to help pay for the die. The pre order page is also live now! Click here to pre order your PAX South 2015 Challenge Coin. We need to have the die paid for and all of our orders in by Dec 20 if we want to get these coins before PAX. If you're purchasing the coin from outside the United States you should contact sales@phoenixchallengecoins.com to get the correct shipping amount. Currently coins are $8 each and shipping is a flat rate separate from the coin cost. If we buy more than 300 coins then the cost will drop, and again if we buy more than 500. The die cost came out to $280 and it needs to be paid for first if we hope to get these coins, so please take some time and donate, even if it's only $5 because every bit helps. Get the word out to your friends who are going, post on the forums, and tweet it so that we can sell a bunch of coins and fund this die!

Update: Dec 8 2014 - The final art is on the second page if anyone is interested. The dice have been removed and some changes made to the text alignment. I have told Eric that we're good with that asked him to give me a quote to have the die completed. I expect that between now and tomorrow afternoon. I expect that it will be about $300 and I'll put a GoFundMe campaign together to make it happen.

Update: Nov 21 2014 - Here is the concept art for the challenge coin. Please chime in and let me know what you think. It's currently set to run with no special edging and in antique brass. We can change the color, most coins are silver, but we can also go with brass or gold since this is the inaugural year. The design has been finalized and posted here for any interested party.
t33qsw9a5pf8.jpg

Update: Nov 20 2014 - I'm currently working with Eric at Phoenix Challenge Coins to get a design for approval. The current design is the Tower of the Americas on the landmark side and on the flipside a guitar controller crossed over at the neck with an actual guitar and a D6 and D20 below them. I'll post the proof here when I get it back from him.

What is a challenge coin? A challenge coin is a small coin or medallion (usually military), bearing an organization's insignia or emblem and carried by the organization's members. Traditionally, they are given to prove membership when challenged and to enhance morale. In addition, they are also collected by service members. In the PAX Community we've seen fit to mint a coin for the PAX events. It's largely commemorative, but some of us do use them to actually challenge others and win free drinks while at PAX.

Okay, so PAX South is 66 days away and I see no discussion, or at least no actual planning, for a PAX South Challenge Coin. I'll be more than happy to lead the charge and see the process through, but I need to know if anyone else will actually buy them. We also need to start kicking around ideas for the coin. In the past it's been a local landmark on one side and something game related on the flip side.

Start posting ideas for both, and if you can design the coin then let me know. I'll head over to the other forum and find out who pressed the previous challenge coins.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
MasterRokku on

• Options
    QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Being formerly in the military, I've got a bit of a love of challenge coins. I'd definitely buy on.

• Options
    BinaryTBBinaryTB Registered User regular
    I'm definitely in for one.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    I'd probably buy in.

If I may place a vote: Ditch the Alamo, opt for the Tower of the Americas. It's especially relevant since it's right next to the convention center.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    Agreed Orthancstone, the Alamo is certainly not at the top of my landmark list. I'll start looking into getting the coins done, but we're going to need a few more people to make it work.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • Options
    I've emailed Phoenix Challenge Coins since they did the PAX East coin last year. I know there will be a setup fee and then a cost per coin. I'll get that info to you as soon as I have it. We're getting kind of a late start on the coin, so it's possible that we may not have delivery by PAX South, but fingers crossed.

Please spread the word to other people that you know who are going to PAX South so we can get as many challenge coins ordered as possible.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I'm thinking either Tower of the Americas or the 40 foot boots. I'll drop a pic in of the Tower that I think would look good on the coin. What do we want to put on the other side?
    rvg1bqm7l7hg.jpg

MasterRokku on
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    I'd love to get some South coins, to go with my East and Prime collection.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    Does anyone have any ideas for the flipside of the coin? The side that doesn't have the landmark?

• Options
    MidanMidan Registered User regular
    Maybe a game that was developed in Texas? Gearbox is in Dallas we could use one of there games?

• Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I've got one for every PAX I've been to so far. I'd definitely buy one.
    Midan wrote: »
    Maybe a game that was developed in Texas? Gearbox is in Dallas we could use one of there games?
    It's generally better to stay away from specific franchises and such, as you can very quickly run into trademark issues if you start going down that road. Historically, the depiction has more been based off of a general theme, i.e. pc/tabletop/classic console/handheld/etc. than a specific product or franchise, for what it's worth.

Anyways, as for suggestions, I'm not a local so I can't weigh in too much on the landmark, Tower of the Americas is a-OK in my book. It may be a bit formulaic, but for the inaugural PAX, the actual venue itself might also be worth consideration.

As for the other side, still mulling that one over. If I come up with something decent, I will be back.

On a side note, some more info for new folks that are curious: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/PAX_Challenge_Coin

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    MidanMidan Registered User regular
    ah, gotcha! hmmm, maybe we could design a tabletop figurine playing a handheld! that would be kinda cute!

• Options
    Hmm, I had a thought that it might be interesting to tie in the concerts/jam space and such from PAX since we've never really touched on that aspect in a coin before. I have this design of my head of the ubiquitous plastic 5 button guitar crossed with a real one with like a stage or something in the background to touch on that while still tying gaming back into it. So I'll pitch that to you fine folks in case anyone that actually has a modicum of artistic ability (read: not myself) wants to run with it.

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    I like that, a plastic guitar controller crossed over a bass or guitar...maybe some dice to pull in tabletop?

• Options
    Just to update anyone interested since the thread seems like it may pick up some steam: We need to have the design submitted and the dye paid for by early December if we are to have any hope of getting the coins in mid January. I'll put up a crowd source site to collect the dye cost when the time comes. Then we'll have the option of doing pre-orders on the website or one person buying all the coins and handling delivery. I'll be honest, the pre-order route costs a little more per coin, but it's a lot easier than one person being responsible for all the coins and money. However, if the cost ends up being prohibitive to many people then I'll take the lead on that.

Make sure to tell your friends who are going to PAX South about the challenge coins so they can get involved!

• Options
    edited November 2014
    For another landmark option: the convention center.
    4kgcmmhdus9y.jpg

MasterRokku on
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    I'd be down to purchase a challenge coin.
    I like that tower of the Americas pic. The convention center one looks far too busy. I'm intrigued by the glass area in the center back of that picture though. Looks like that could be interesting.

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    I'll note that the current convention center expansion plans have the new section opening up before 2016, with demo of the older section later that year.

You can get a look here: http://www.saconventionfuture.com/

So if you really like the look of the old section, this might be the best opportunity :o. Not sure it would be used again come 2016.

Pins!
  • Options
    Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    draklan and I would be interested in a coin , really don't have a preference for landmarks never having been to Texas before.

• Options
    zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    I would definitely be interested in a challenge coin!

Also I like the simple design.

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
  • Options
    PineappleChuckPineappleChuck Registered User regular
    I would purchase two!

• Options
    I think the dice are too much. IMO, it'd look better to just have the guitars but enlarge them and/or change the angle at which they cross to fill the space better.

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    punzie wrote: »
    I think the dice are too much. IMO, it'd look better to just have the guitars but enlarge them and/or change the angle at which they cross to fill the space better.

If others feel the same way we can look into that. We need to have the final design in next week, so I'm hopeful that others will chime in.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Sorry I'm late to the party here, didn't realize this got updated.
    I'm inclined to agree with this. It feels a little nicer to me to have the back kinda focused on "one thing" if that makes sense. Since the guitars and the dice aren't really related, it comes off as a bit "cluttered" to me.

Other notes:
    • Might want to remove "Gibson" from the headstocks for legal purposes.
    • The radius on the text on the front and back doesn't seem to quite match the radius of the coin, so the distance from the text to the rim varies at different points. Is that something that can be cleaned up? Is that already just a printing artifact that won't show up on the actual coin?
    • I would consider adjusting the image on the front so the text and image don't overlap. Maybe keep things more or less the same, but cut off the tower a tiny bit higher so it's above the T?
    • Any chance of an "inner ring" on the back between the text and the image? It's a bit of a stylistic choice but every past PAX Coin has been like that and I'm a big fan of tradition.

I feel kinda weird picking at things after you go and put in the time to get this moving, so once again, I do want to say thanks for bringing all this together.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    ElexorienElexorien Registered User new member
    Put me down for one, I don't want to miss out on the inaugural South coin for my first PAX!

• Options
    IrsoolIrsool Registered User regular
    Hey! First time goer here. I'd definitely be up to buying one! How does it work? Do we buy them at the site? Or is it something pre-con?

uV3Kd9v.png
  • Options
    stuhemmingsstuhemmings Registered User new member
    Always in for a Challenge Coin

• Options
    I didn't actually create the image, our contact at Phoenix Challenge Coins did. The extent to which I can alter it is tiny, but I'll pass along the comments and then we've got to get this thing into production.

The way it works is that we'll have to come up with the initial casting fee, which we'll do a funding campaign for, then we'll do a pre-order on their website.
    Malgaras wrote: »
    Sorry I'm late to the party here, didn't realize this got updated.
    I'm inclined to agree with this. It feels a little nicer to me to have the back kinda focused on "one thing" if that makes sense. Since the guitars and the dice aren't really related, it comes off as a bit "cluttered" to me.

Other notes:
    • Might want to remove "Gibson" from the headstocks for legal purposes.
    • The radius on the text on the front and back doesn't seem to quite match the radius of the coin, so the distance from the text to the rim varies at different points. Is that something that can be cleaned up? Is that already just a printing artifact that won't show up on the actual coin?
    • I would consider adjusting the image on the front so the text and image don't overlap. Maybe keep things more or less the same, but cut off the tower a tiny bit higher so it's above the T?
    • Any chance of an "inner ring" on the back between the text and the image? It's a bit of a stylistic choice but every past PAX Coin has been like that and I'm a big fan of tradition.

I feel kinda weird picking at things after you go and put in the time to get this moving, so once again, I do want to say thanks for bringing all this together.

• Options
    All change requests submitted except for cutting the "Tower" off above the "T". Since it's the only image in that part of the coin I think it would look a bit uneven. I'll post the updated image as soon as I get it back. REMINDER: We need to make the decision this week if we have any hope of getting these before the con starts.

• Options
    RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    I love coins! How would one get one/cost?

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • Options
    milow49milow49 Registered User new member
    I'd be interested in adding a PAX South coin to my collection. I'm glad I wasn't too late to the thread.

• Options
    LegerdemainLegerdemain Corvallis, ORRegistered User new member
    I'd like one as well.

• Options
    @RILMS I don't have a cost yet, but we will soon. Hopefully Eric gets back to me today with the revised concept art. If we like that then we just need to throw up the cost of the proof, which will crowd fund, then we'll have the final price of the coin after.

• Options
    flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Add me to the list for buying two of these! Glad I'm not too "late"

@‌MasterRokku was wondering if you stared some type of Google doc to get a sense of how many ppl are committing yet? May give you a better sense of the volume for Eric.

flashe on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    @flashe I have not, but if we don't make the die fee then that will tell me really quickly. I think as long as the people who come by this thread help spread the word it should be fine.

Here's the updated art and I'd like to approve and submit it pretty quickly.
    neqtzjmh32r1.jpg

In case anyone else notices: I thought the image looked a little taller than it was wide, so I contacted Eric to make sure that this was purely a function of manipulating the image for the form. His response:
    Jeremy,

I just checked it, when I enlarged the image so you could see the details better it wound up being a little taller than it is wide, the coin is round and the finished product will be symmetrical and a perfect circle as well. No worries there but please feel free to ask any and all questions you have no matter what it is.

Sincerely,
    Eric Richards

That means that the wording on the outside of the coin is also a bit distorted, but ignore that and pay attention to the image changes.

MasterRokku on
  • Options
    flasheflashe Craft Beer Aficionado US - East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Looks good given how quickly this forum idea has been pulled together! Could you Let us know us when the final design has been accepted by PCC? Also what else the forum can do to help? Beyond spreading the word around and pulling together the initial die cost.

flashe on
  • Options
    Looks good; the guitar side looks much cleaner now.

Pins!
  • Options
    Looks nice. I'd be in for one. I'd also be up to contribute to the die fee. Do you know how much it will be?

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    Not until we approve this design. I imagine $200-$300.

• Options
    Looks better. My only nitpick now is that on the front side the towers are touching the words on the sides (like the p and a in pax). If it's brought in a smidge, it'll be much cleaner.

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers College Student and Code Monkey Orlando FloridaRegistered User regular
    Looks great, depending on the cost I would totally be down for an inaugural pax coin