As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Post-Soviet States]: Frozen Conflicts are Forever

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Yes

Yes we are

Mainly because his character hasn't changed and past sins are suspiciously similar to present sins

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    All I'm saying is that there is zero evidence directly linking Putin to this as of right now.

Y'all assuming guilt based off character and past sins.

That wasn't really where I was going. More that if Putin was ultimately what put this in motion that he will have done it in such a way we will never ever be certain of that.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • RedthirstRedthirst Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Redthirst wrote: »
    Yes, when you hear the word "volunteer" applied to a ukrainian battalion, they are either far-right extremists bordering on nazism, or they are mercenaries who fight for money.

And that's one of the things I'm afraid of if Ukraine wins - I don't want people like this in my city.

I'm afraid that neo-nazis aren't strictly limited to those troops. It's basically guaranteed that you have a bunch in your city already.

Yeah, but since they are Russian-oriented neo-nazis, they are relatively harmless to civil population.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    So.

Russian media is reporting that Boris Nemtsov was just gunned down on the street.

So.

I'm sure this will get a thorough investigation. After all, Putin's on the case.
    Putin promptly assumed personal control of the murder investigation, said his spokesman, Dmitry Peskov. The move was a measure of the shockwaves sent out by the crime.
    Has he tried looking on a golf course yet?

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2015
    Strangely enough, one of the former leaders of Region's party also died today, though he commited suicide. That's rather unsettling.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I never understood Russian Nazis

Russian facists? Okay, but labeling oneself a Nazi when one is Slavic is weird as I think Slavs were one of the top priority races to exterminate for the Nazis.

edited February 2015
    Kadoken wrote: »

Russian facists? Okay, but labeling oneself a Nazi when one is Slavic is weird as I think Slavs were one of the top priority races to exterminate for the Nazis.

Same goes for Ukrainian nazis. I also don't get it, but bear in mind that during the war, USSR had a pretty large amount of people who willingly colloborated with nazis, though not all of them identefied themselves as such. Probably the most known such formation was ROA.

There were also SS divisions formed from Russians/Ukrainians/Belarussians.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

Same goes for Ukrainian nazis. I also don't get it, but bear in mind that during the war, USSR had a pretty large amount of people who willingly colloborated with nazis, though not all of them identefied themselves as such. Probably the most known such formation was ROA.

There were SS divisions formed from volunteers from the Baltic states. Because they saw the Nazis as the lesser evil compared to the Soviet Union. Not without reason, either.

edited February 2015

There were SS divisions formed from volunteers from the Baltic states. Because they saw the Nazis as the lesser evil compared to the Soviet Union. Not without reason, either.

Baltic states as well. Most of the countries on the Eastern Front had an SS division and some lesser formations created.

The saddest part is that neo-nazis mostly base their beliefs on Hitler's ideology, but they don't really give it much thought. They think that jews must be killed, but their reason for thinking like that is that it's a part of the ideology. They don't try to find actual reasons for it, and they don't question the ideology.

Redthirst on
    steam_sig.png
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Gawker article covering what is known so far about the death of Nemtsov

Anybody else getting a "The Kremlin is acting super skeevy" feel?

Rchanen on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Breaking: OJ Simpsons is traveling to Moscow to help Russian government track down the real killers

Lh96QHG.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »

When do you not?

When do you not?

Great. Now I hear that in Sterling Archer's voice.

• StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular

Well, that region has always had bigots and hated the Jews as well. My great grandparents fled from the Russian pogroms of the early 20th century long before the nazis came around, and the largest part of that took part in the Ukraine/Belarus area.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    So when do they start 'shopping the guy out of all the pictures?

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    So when do they start 'shopping the guy out of all the pictures?

Fuck, you're right. I'd laugh if I wasn't terrified.

Fuck off and die.
    StarZapper wrote: »

Well, that region has always had bigots and hated the Jews as well. My great grandparents fled from the Russian pogroms of the early 20th century long before the nazis came around, and the largest part of that took part in the Ukraine/Belarus area.

Neither Ukraine nor Belarus are in the Baltic area?

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

There are Israeli Neo-Nazis. It's a weird world.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

There are Israeli Neo-Nazis. It's a weird world.

Well, there were a lot of Russians who empathized with the Nazis in terms of political philosophy. I think that's rather unsurprising, given the tumult of the Russian Revolution(s). And then, if their admiration for fascism in contrast with communism was greater than their nationalistic patriotism, ....

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Nazism works for every race, creed and colour. Just put in your own bogeymen and good guys instead of the Jews and the Germans and you're good to go.

Fuck off and die.
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Just call yourself facists and the weirdness of Israeli "nazis" goes mostly away. Anyone of any race, creed, and color can be a facist. It's a weird moniker to place oneself as a Nazi if one was a target of the Nazis.

Just call yourself facists and the weirdness of Israeli "nazis" goes mostly away. Anyone of any race, creed, and color can be a facist. It's a weird moniker to place oneself as a Nazi if one was a target of the Nazis.

Nazi is a handy moniker for demonizing your opposition. It's a poor PR tactic for oneself though.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Putin blames critics for Nemtsov's murder.
    Putin blamed the latest killing on foes trying to discredit the Kremlin, but vowed Saturday in a message to the victim’s mother to do all he could so “the organisers and perpetrators of a vile and cynical murder get the punishment they deserve.”

'Sources inside the Kremlin still have not ruled out suicide.'

Putin blamed the latest killing on foes trying to discredit the Kremlin, but vowed Saturday in a message to the victim’s mother to do all he could so “the organisers and perpetrators of a vile and cynical murder get the punishment they deserve.”

Yeah. But they are talking about suicide by Putin. Where you piss Putin off enough that he kills you.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Yeah. But they are talking about suicide by Putin. Where you piss Putin off enough that he kills you.

Isn't that more "Either you do or your your family"?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    They might also blame muslim extremists for it. Since apparently, Nemtsov said something along the lines of "Every newspaper should draw a caricature of the Prophet" after Charlie Hebdo incident. Which, if true, makes him look unbeliavably stupid, but who knows.

steam_sig.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Nazism works for every race, creed and colour. Just put in your own bogeymen and good guys instead of the Jews and the Germans and you're good to go.

A Mongolian Neo-Nazi Environmentalist Walks Into a Lingerie Store in Ulan Bator

• jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Shockingly enough, apparently the security cameras "weren't working" where Nemtsov was killed.

http://www.kommersant.ru/doc/2678101

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Obviously going up against Putin was suicidal.

• Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    interesting documentary on Putin its Public Television so just know that.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/putins-way/

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I don't know why you need a disclaimer that it's from the Public Broadcasting Service.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Im not chalking this up to Putin yet. My gut tells me it was someone within or close to his regime, but I don't think it was Putin directly.

Come on, Putin knows more than enough spycraft to use cut outs.

That implies that he feels there is any need to.

Which, considering the consequences to Putin are essentially nill short of a video coming out of him pulling the trigger himself (and even then...) he probably has more to gain by sending the 'yeah, I'll have you gunned down in the street and there's not a damn thing you can do about it' message.

If there's one thing the past year has taught us, Putin will barely bother with the fig leaf, and the Russian people (in some cases understandably) will either believe it, or will do the same thing people do almost everywhere when they have a violent and repressive government...i.e. keep their heads down and try to go about their lives.

One of the many ways Putin seems like a cartoonish villian is that I think he WANTS people to know that he's doing these things. He WANTS people to see him as the next Stalin - someone who will have you executed and your family shipped off to the gulag on a whim. I wouldn't be surprised if when someone gets the better of him, it's because they caught him monologging or some other trope.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The best example of Putin's zero-fucks-to-give attitude was the use of polonium to assassinate Litvinenko. The weapon used was the opposite of a cut-out, and as a bonus, radiation poisoning is a horribly painful way to die.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    To no ones suprise, Putin admits that the plan to annex the Crimea was made weeks before the referendum:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31796226

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    But remember folks it was totally legit and there choice!

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I don't know why you need a disclaimer that it's from the Public Broadcasting Service.

the disclaimers because people who aren't american or native english speakers use this thread. Plus bias i don't feel that they are but others may. Generally frontline does a pretty good job on the show of asking tough questions.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

the disclaimers because people who aren't american or native english speakers use this thread. Plus bias i don't feel that they are but others may. Generally frontline does a pretty good job on the show of asking tough questions.

PBS is pretty unbiased and isn't afraid of asking hard questions. The joke is that they get away with it because nobody watches them.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Im not chalking this up to Putin yet. My gut tells me it was someone within or close to his regime, but I don't think it was Putin directly.

Come on, Putin knows more than enough spycraft to use cut outs.

That implies that he feels there is any need to.

Which, considering the consequences to Putin are essentially nill short of a video coming out of him pulling the trigger himself (and even then...) he probably has more to gain by sending the 'yeah, I'll have you gunned down in the street and there's not a damn thing you can do about it' message.

If there's one thing the past year has taught us, Putin will barely bother with the fig leaf, and the Russian people (in some cases understandably) will either believe it, or will do the same thing people do almost everywhere when they have a violent and repressive government...i.e. keep their heads down and try to go about their lives.

One of the many ways Putin seems like a cartoonish villian is that I think he WANTS people to know that he's doing these things. He WANTS people to see him as the next Stalin - someone who will have you executed and your family shipped off to the gulag on a whim. I wouldn't be surprised if when someone gets the better of him, it's because they caught him monologging or some other trope.

But that's not actually how Putin has operated. Putin almost always uses a fig leaf. Just because it's an obvious one to us doesn't mean he doesn't feel it's important. The entire Ukrainian situation has been this.

shryke on

PBS is pretty unbiased and isn't afraid of asking hard questions. The joke is that they get away with it because nobody watches them.

I love counting how many times a politician/lawyer squirms when asked an uncomfortable question on the show.

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    To no ones suprise, Putin admits that the plan to annex the Crimea was made weeks before the referendum:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31796226
    He has no reason to pussyfoot around that issue since the cat's long out of the bag, courtesy of newspaper Novaya Gazeta:
    independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russias-roadmap-for-annexing-eastern-ukraine-leaked-from-vladimir-putins-office-10069203.html

What's interesting is how this paper will be treated the coming year.

This discussion has been closed.