As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - What happens if I stick my screwdriver th- *bzzt*

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Related question - 840 EVO 500GB or Crucial MX100 512GB for basically the same amount of money?

I know the Samsung ones are getting all the praise these days but I have an mx100 256Gbps drive and I love it and have had no problems at all though it's only been like 6 months

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I saw an article saying the 500GB version of the MX100 was faster than the EVO (note just 500Gb and bigger versions). Didn't look more into past that one data point, though.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Whuzza good 1150 Mini-ITX mobo?

I really wanna migrate my Micro-ATX system to a Corsair 250D.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Whuzza good 1150 Mini-ITX mobo?

I really wanna migrate my Micro-ATX system to a Corsair 250D.

http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/newegg/asrock-motherboard-z97eitxac

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Yup, it's posting consistently. My impromptu fan surgery worked, and I didn't even end up sacrificing my blood to the god ASUSteroth. Yay! Thanks again to everyone in this thread who's helped me.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    This sucks. So we had a power outage the other night, and when it happened, I guess the threads that were holding my motherboard together started to unravel. My DIMM2 and DIMM4 slots, which have been flaky for a while, finally died, and my PCI-e x16 slot, which has also been flaky for a while, is flakier.

So it's new CPU/mobo time it seems. I'm currently running an i5-2500k, but to be frank the pickings on LGA1155 motherboards are super thin right now. So it looks like moving to LGA1150 is in the cards, but everything I read about Broadwell (and how it's going to be replaced in like six to nine months by Skylake) makes me frown. I think I may wait for Broadwell to come out (assuming that happens before my motherboard just gives up) and then try to snatch a Haswell CPU on blowout somewhere. It's also a bitter pill to swallow having to invest a bunch of money in to LGA1150 when Skylake and Cannonlake will use 1151, but I'm simply not in a position to wait.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    This sucks. So we had a power outage the other night, and when it happened, I guess the threads that were holding my motherboard together started to unravel. My DIMM2 and DIMM4 slots, which have been flaky for a while, finally died, and my PCI-e x16 slot, which has also been flaky for a while, is flakier.

So it's new CPU/mobo time it seems. I'm currently running an i5-2500k, but to be frank the pickings on LGA1155 motherboards are super thin right now. So it looks like moving to LGA1150 is in the cards, but everything I read about Broadwell (and how it's going to be replaced in like six to nine months by Skylake) makes me frown. I think I may wait for Broadwell to come out (assuming that happens before my motherboard just gives up) and then try to snatch a Haswell CPU on blowout somewhere. It's also a bitter pill to swallow having to invest a bunch of money in to LGA1150 when Skylake and Cannonlake will use 1151, but I'm simply not in a position to wait.

There are a shitload of good 1155 motherboards still being sold. I mean, what's your budget, and what features do you need?
    This is a great board for just under $100, for example.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Agree - just get a new 1155 motherboard. I guess if you were so inclined, you could try to sell you 2500k and then buy a new motherboard/CPU.

Also sounds like you need a better surge protector or a UPS, if your power goes out often.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Speaking of UPS', anybody have any allegiances? My home theater is taking up one that was donated to me, but I want a new, fresh, standalone for my PC set-up.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »
    Speaking of UPS', anybody have any allegiances? My home theater is taking up one that was donated to me, but I want a new, fresh, standalone for my PC set-up.

This is the one I use.

I've been happy with it. We have power outages/voltage sags/voltage spikes all the time from the wind so I though it was worth it to protect my gear.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

This is the one I use.

I've been happy with it. We have power outages/voltage sags/voltage spikes all the time from the wind so I though it was worth it to protect my gear.

I've looked at this model a few times, but it's good to hear some testimonial... And to see what someone else is using for a size. I'm always so tempted to just get the one with the biggest numbers because reasons. What size of power supply are you using in your case (I know that's not an accurate gauge of power draw, but it gives me an idea of how thirsty your hardware might be)? How long does it give you when the power drops out? Or are the outages not long enough to really time it?

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Okay, so my build is obviously suffering from Multiple Personality Disorder... Yesterday it suddenly didn't post any more, without any changes on my part; first the VGA LED was lit constantly, even though the GPU seemed to be seated properly and had the required power cables attached to it, then the boot device LED suddenly lit up red. Last thing I knew was that everything was working, but I'm now worried that the moment I close up the system properly it'll again not work.

Any idea what the problem might be behind such shaky behaviour? Once the system runs, it runs - I worked on it for an hour or two and let it download stuff over night, without any odd behaviour, instability or crashes - but getting there seems to be a 50/50 proposition. I don't know whether it's as simple as some cables not being as firmly plugged in as they should be, because I'd expect that if there was a serious underlying problem it wouldn't post ever or it would be unstable once it's working, but right now it goes from not posting to working to not posting when I put the case from lying on its side to an upright position, or even when I do nothing.

Grumble...

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Okay, so my build is obviously suffering from Multiple Personality Disorder... Yesterday it suddenly didn't post any more, without any changes on my part; first the VGA LED was lit constantly, even though the GPU seemed to be seated properly and had the required power cables attached to it, then the boot device LED suddenly lit up red. Last thing I knew was that everything was working, but I'm now worried that the moment I close up the system properly it'll again not work.

Any idea what the problem might be behind such shaky behaviour? Once the system runs, it runs - I worked on it for an hour or two and let it download stuff over night, without any odd behaviour, instability or crashes - but getting there seems to be a 50/50 proposition. I don't know whether it's as simple as some cables not being as firmly plugged in as they should be, because I'd expect that if there was a serious underlying problem it wouldn't post ever or it would be unstable once it's working, but right now it goes from not posting to working to not posting when I put the case from lying on its side to an upright position, or even when I do nothing.

Grumble...

Can you post a list of your parts?

Check to make sure the GPU slot is clear of anything that might be blocking it (tape?) and make sure the GPU is seated tightly. Have you tried to POST without the GPU to see if it does that reliably?

Are you overclocking?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

This is the one I use.

I've looked at this model a few times, but it's good to hear some testimonial... And to see what someone else is using for a size. I'm always so tempted to just get the one with the biggest numbers because reasons. What size of power supply are you using in your case (I know that's not an accurate gauge of power draw, but it gives me an idea of how thirsty your hardware might be)? How long does it give you when the power drops out? Or are the outages not long enough to really time it?

My power supply is 750 watts. I also have my monitors and my synology attached. I think there's like a 20ish minute run time. My intent was more for the UPS to absorb any power fluctuations, and give me enough time to shut things down gracefully when the power drops.

Also once you turn off the computers you can charge your phone from it like a million times. Good if the power is out for a couple of days.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    @tsmvengy‌ :

I'll have to look up the rest, but the main ones are:

Asus Z97-A
    Asus Geforce 980 STRIX
    Corsair H100i
    Seasonic X-850
    Fractal Define R4 Black Pearl

I've set up the EZ overclocking wizard to OC fairly conservatively, but the problem popped up in non-OC as well as OC state.

There was originally a problem where one of the H100i fans was pressing down on part of the mainboard (I posted about this earlier in the thread), but I've shaved a few milimetres off the fan's plastic frame, so that shouldn't be an issue any more - unless the previous pressure did some damage to the mainboard.

P.S.: I'm aware that with some of these parts I get relatively little benefit out of paying more, compared to the build that was suggested to me. That's a general fault of mine, I'm afraid... *sheepish grin*

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, if it's giving you a VGA light error, I would try it first with no graphics card - use your integrated graphics and see if you can get it to POST consistently.

If that works, then it seems like your issue is with the graphics card. Either it is not staying in the slot, or the power cables are not properly seated, or the card is just a dud.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    P.S.: I'm aware that with some of these parts I get relatively little benefit out of paying more, compared to the build that was suggested to me. That's a general fault of mine, I'm afraid... *sheepish grin*

I don't think anyone in the computer build thread will fault a person for overspending on a computer build... We like that kinda thing.

• Options
    Thanks. :) I did feel a bit embarrassed about coming out and saying, "Yeah, you guys recommended a 4690K and a Geforce 970, and you're absolutely right, they *are* better value for money... but I went and was unreasonable anyway!"

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Quick update: today it briefly worked, but just once. On a restart it went back to failing to post, with the GPU LED lit, so I put in an old GeForce 5xx, and it seemed to work, but then it first claimed that the C drive was damaged, then it wouldn't post with the boot device LED lit, and finally it would simply not perform the self-test to the end.

Tomorrow I'll double-check all the cables, try it again, try it without GPU (since on-board graphics should allow me to run the PC), plug the drives into my other PC to see if they read properly, and try my 980 in the other PC. I'm thinking the mainboard may be the problem, and it may have taken the 980 with it. If the latter works on my other PC, I'll see that I can take apart the computer and take the mainboard back to the shop.

Does this sound sensible?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Quick update: today it briefly worked, but just once. On a restart it went back to failing to post, with the GPU LED lit, so I put in an old GeForce 5xx, and it seemed to work, but then it first claimed that the C drive was damaged, then it wouldn't post with the boot device LED lit, and finally it would simply not perform the self-test to the end.

Tomorrow I'll double-check all the cables, try it again, try it without GPU (since on-board graphics should allow me to run the PC), plug the drives into my other PC to see if they read properly, and try my 980 in the other PC. I'm thinking the mainboard may be the problem, and it may have taken the 980 with it. If the latter works on my other PC, I'll see that I can take apart the computer and take the mainboard back to the shop.

Does this sound sensible?

I would try to run it with everything outside the case on a tabletop. With your problems happening/going away when you jiggle things it sounds like you might be getting some odd short between the case and the motherboard.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Jesus, how small is that monitor?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Well that was fast. Gigabyte already has a minty fresh mobo on its way back to me and it should be sitting in my PO Box when I get home in a week. Then again, a mobo not posting or outputting any video is kind of a blatant "this shit is fucked yo" problem so I shouldn't be too surprised.

I may have also used the repair time as an excuse to order a couple Noctua case fans and a Noctua low profile cooler for this HTPC build. >_>

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    emp123 wrote: »

Even the smallest of those cases (which I think that is) is still 15.5 inches tall. It's probably a 20" 1600x900 monitor I guess.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    So I think I've isolated the really annoying buzzing/whirring noise my PC is making to my SilverStone STE75F PSU; it's either the 135mm fan (which I don't wanna pull out and replace) or particularly bad coil whine.

What's a good ultra-quiet ~650W PSU recommendation? I'm looking at this SeaSonic PSU right now, pretty much just because it's SeaSonic, 650W (for SLI headroom), full-modular, and has a specific fan setting for silent running.

Any other suggestions?

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    Also: any opinions on turning bottom-mounted PSUs 'upside-down' so that they're pulling in air from the bottom of the interior of a case rather than from outside? With my layout, it would be drawing in air from right in front of my GTX 970.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It's a valid setup, so can't hurt to try. Probably won't make much of a difference (or it will!).

• Options
    Also: any opinions on turning bottom-mounted PSUs 'upside-down' so that they're pulling in air from the bottom of the interior of a case rather than from outside? With my layout, it would be drawing in air from right in front of my GTX 970.

Why would you want to do that? You'll end up with hotter air going into your PSU, and your graphics card fans will have to work harder because now you'll be pulling air against their pull. Depends on how far away your GPU is from the PSU fan though. Maybe you're worried about having a "dead zone" at the bottom of the case? GPU fans and convection should take care of that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Even the smallest of those cases (which I think that is) is still 15.5 inches tall. It's probably a 20" 1600x900 monitor I guess.

Compared to the keyboard it looks like a 21 or 22 inch 1080p monitor. Not that tiny. That case isn't actually that small.

• Options
    edited December 2014

Why would you want to do that? You'll end up with hotter air going into your PSU, and your graphics card fans will have to work harder because now you'll be pulling air against their pull. Depends on how far away your GPU is from the PSU fan though. Maybe you're worried about having a "dead zone" at the bottom of the case? GPU fans and convection should take care of that.

I basically just want more airflow to my Strix GTX 970.

It stays pretty cool as-is, but I just always want things cooler (so long as it doesn't lead to a wind-tunnel in my case). When I first got the Strix, running Furmark for awhile would only get it up between 60-64C; last night I was seeing 67C at ~75% fan speed. I do have a (relatively) moderate OC of +150mhz on the GPU and +500mhz on the RAM in addition to turning the GPU Boost slider to 120%, with an 80C ceiling, which gives me a GPU clock typically between 1400 and 1500mhz and RAM clock of 3500mhz in-game. The overclock is likely what is pushing my temps higher. I just wanna compensate for the increased temps by increasing airflow, and I thought maybe repositioning the PSU fan to intake from underneath -- but still a decent distance from -- the 970 might create enough 'pull' in that area to draw in more cool air from the two 120mm intake fans.

But maybe that's a bad idea.

Could also just try turning the intake fans up a little more; I have them at the lowest PWM speed they'll still spin at, with a flat fan curve so they just stay at ~35% constantly. Should probably bump that up to like 45% to better feed a hungry GTX 970, I guess.

Hamurabi on
  • Options

It stays pretty cool as-is, but I just always want things cooler (so long as it doesn't lead to a wind-tunnel in my case). When I first got the Strix, running Furmark for awhile would only get it up between 60-64C; last night I was seeing 67C at ~75% fan speed. I do have a (relatively) moderate OC of +150mhz on the GPU and +500mhz on the RAM (in addition to turning the GPU Boost slider to 120%, with an 80C ceiling), so that's likely what is pushing my temps higher. I just wanna compensate for the increased temps by increasing airflow, and I thought maybe repositioning the PSU fan to intake from underneath -- but still a decent distance from -- the 970 might create enough 'pull' in that area to draw in more cool air from the two 120mm intake fans.

Could also just try turning the intake fans up a little more; I have them at the lowest PWM speed they'll still spin at, with a flat fan curve so they just stay at ~35% constantly. Should probably bump that up to like 45% to better feed a hungry GTX 970, I guess.

Both fans will be competing for the same cool air, and in some cases might warm the air. The PSU pulling air from the bottom is basically an isolated system, and is going to do both it and the GPU the greatest service by keeping it that way.

67° Seems super manageable to me, my primary 680 is idling at 50° so that is what I'm fighting. Just bought new / more case fans to help my airflow, I'll update the thread when I'm done!

• Options
    edited December 2014

It stays pretty cool as-is, but I just always want things cooler (so long as it doesn't lead to a wind-tunnel in my case). When I first got the Strix, running Furmark for awhile would only get it up between 60-64C; last night I was seeing 67C at ~75% fan speed. I do have a (relatively) moderate OC of +150mhz on the GPU and +500mhz on the RAM in addition to turning the GPU Boost slider to 120%, with an 80C ceiling, which gives me a GPU clock typically between 1400 and 1500mhz and RAM clock of 3500mhz in-game. The overclock is likely what is pushing my temps higher. I just wanna compensate for the increased temps by increasing airflow, and I thought maybe repositioning the PSU fan to intake from underneath -- but still a decent distance from -- the 970 might create enough 'pull' in that area to draw in more cool air from the two 120mm intake fans.

Try it both ways and see what happens. But my guess is GPU temps would be better with the PSU sucking in air from outside the case.

As for differences in temps when you first got the card to now - how is the dust situation on the GPU heatsink?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    It has been years and years since I've built a gaming rig and I ask for advice about GPU and mobo selection.

CPU will be a K-series i5 Haswell (i5-4690K?), cooling for that will likely be an H110 or some other dual-fan radiator AIO closed loop, intended for OC.

Assuming I'm shooting for a 4.7-4.8 OC, what considerations are there for mobo? I recollect that I need lots of VRMs and good quality capacitors. Any suggestions? I won't be needing RAID capability, onboard sound is fine, 802.11 ac preferred, bluetooth nice but not necessary, no intention of doing SLi.

For GPU I've been eyeing the GTX 970, but have seen the occasional 780 or 780 ti for good prices. What would I be trading off if I went for the older model GPU vs new? Been also considering modding the GPU to use a smaller AIO closed loop (intended to mitigate noise, OC capability would just be bonus). I found 1 article about that, but any links or shared resources would be appreciated. Planning to drive a 2560x1080 monitor.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014

Compared to the keyboard it looks like a 21 or 22 inch 1080p monitor. Not that tiny. That case isn't actually that small.

I dunno why the photographer wanted to do that whole miniature faking thing with the photo but they're rotten bastards for doing it.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    When I saw that case, it made me think of this case which I really like the idea of although I'm pretty sure I will never own one. That's one of those, "if I could actually buy all the stuff I wanted" scenarios

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The smallest case says:

Model PC-O5

Case Type Mini Chassis

Dimensions
    (W)384mm
    (H)390mm
    (D)133mm

So my google translate and a little Pythagoras action says:
    21.5 inches.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hsvWjX

So that NAS thing, that's what I'm thinking for it.

I have plenty of cases, power supplies, and hard drives to pull from. I want this to double as a media center too, should I so choose, so I didn't want to drop too low on the CPU/GPU combo.

Any ideas or changes you guys would make to this?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hsvWjX

So that NAS thing, that's what I'm thinking for it.

I have plenty of cases, power supplies, and hard drives to pull from. I want this to double as a media center too, should I so choose, so I didn't want to drop too low on the CPU/GPU combo.

Any ideas or changes you guys would make to this?

Are you looking to play games on your media center?

I might go with the Pentium g3258 in this instance. Also, ECS as a mobo manufacturer makes me nervous.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There's a very real possibility it'll be stupid games that scale well to the TV, yeah. I'm open to changing mobo, I wasn't too sold on them to begin with.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.