As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Death of a loved one

BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
I'm sitting beside my grandmother. She is laying in her bed, breathing raggedly and laboriously, eyes open but unresponsive. She's probably mostly unconscious. She is 94 years old, and was diagnosed with cancer half a decade ago, but until just a few months ago the tumor didn't appear to do much. She had been losing weight rapidly over the last year or so and lost her appetite, but other than that she seemed healthy. Now in the last few months the tumor suddenly metastasized and she seems to be at the end of her life. She is my last living grandparent, but the first that I have been with during the end. Just a week ago she could still mostly move around under her own power, and was capable of speech even if it was slurred and she was often confused. It is terrifying and sad to watch someone you have known your whole life gradually slip away.

BahamutZERO.gif

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Oh geez, dude. My condolences.

At the very least, she had 94 good years, and her family is with her to help her. I'd call that pretty good.

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My condolences BahamutZERO. :(

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Hugs man, it is fucking awful to lose a person you love.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I hope you have a support network.

good luck

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    This is gonna sound kind of bad, but don't worry if you don't feel anything, and don't let other people tell you how to feel about it. You grieve at your own pace. Only you can know how to feel about this.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Deaths are always tough. My mom's mom is probably going to die very soon and I'm upset that I haven't seen her since I was 9 and I really don't care about her dying other than the normal care I have for the loss of human life. I have a ton of family up in New York that fits the same criteria because I just don't know them.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My mother had a point
    Try to remember who they were to you rather than how they died.

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Hang in there, dude. I just lost my grandfather earlier this month, and it's been super rough. Just be there for your family and they'll be there for you. Also, tell as many silly stories about your grandmother that you can remember, because laughing and smiling helps a lot with the grieving process.