As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE Online] MRCHI RecruitmeOHGOD WE ARE BEING INVADED (March 2016)

• Options
    spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    More space-ops tonight! Get in and tackle some things! We're taking out cruisers to hug the faces of thine enemy and make them wish they wouldn't have bullied us so much back in gradeschool. You can still be a newbie and hug faces too! I've included a diagram below:
    v9NFkfG.png

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Corgi gifs are the main currency of MRCHI.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    I resubbed based on the "This is Eve" video and loaded up my character last night, I don't think I have played since like 2008, man this is disorientating...whatever my character looked like before, that's all gone now, so first I have to make a new face, then I log in. Hmmm I have 1.5m isk, even I remember that is a bit low ;) I seem to be flying a Caracal, whatever that is, but I can't undock because I have too many turrets fitted??? Also I have 2.5 million or so unallocated skilll points that I can just dump in whatever skills I want, will probably hold onto those till I have some clue what I'm doing again. Also I seem to be in Amarr space somehow even though my character and ship are Caldari. I don't remember jack about how any of this happened or how to play this game lol.

Gonna spend the next few days doing the tutorials and figuring out if I really want to make another go at this before trying to join up w/ you fellas.

• Options
    You will invariably end up with more isk than you know what to do with if you come join us. Also, tutorials are good.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    If you absolutely need to undock and shoot spaceships, join Anehiixii or Mentakona doing blackops stuff near QPO (current staging system). And make sure to avoid jump AIDS!

It's looking like I'll have time tonight. If only someone was running an op flying suitably fantastic penis ships at a time well suited to me getting home, getting settled, and figuring out how to log in again...

Loaded up the ol' Skill que with only 177 days till I hit the limit.

• Options
    spazmojackspazmojack Hangin on the corner of 52nd and BroadwayRegistered User regular
    Orestus wrote: »
    I resubbed based on the "This is Eve" video and loaded up my character last night, I don't think I have played since like 2008, man this is disorientating...whatever my character looked like before, that's all gone now, so first I have to make a new face, then I log in. Hmmm I have 1.5m isk, even I remember that is a bit low ;) I seem to be flying a Caracal, whatever that is, but I can't undock because I have too many turrets fitted??? Also I have 2.5 million or so unallocated skilll points that I can just dump in whatever skills I want, will probably hold onto those till I have some clue what I'm doing again. Also I seem to be in Amarr space somehow even though my character and ship are Caldari. I don't remember jack about how any of this happened or how to play this game lol.

Gonna spend the next few days doing the tutorials and figuring out if I really want to make another go at this before trying to join up w/ you fellas.

You should join us first, it will absolutely be a major factor in your decision. Give us a free spin for 14 days and no hard feelings if it's not for you.

Plus there's free beer!*

*this may or may not be true.

• Options
    EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    spazmojack wrote: »
    Plus there's free beer!*

You can at least listen to people drink beer on mumble during our ops / other gaming. And whatever Effin is eating.

• Options
    Plus there's free beer!*

You can at least listen to people drink beer on mumble during our ops / other gaming. And whatever Effin is eating.

Typically animal crackers.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Plus there's free beer!*

Currently the yicky kind of animal crackers, not the delicious kind of animal crackers. Yes, I asked him, I wasn't sure if I should be jealous or not.

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    MechxwarlordMechxwarlord Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Soooo I'm playing eve again and had fun with you guys last time. Can I come fly spaceships?

Ingame I am Edgar Capashen

Mechxwarlord on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Soooo I'm playing eve again and had fun with you guys last time. Can I come fly spaceships?

Ingame I am Edgar Capashen

Yes! If you are online right now you could probably come meet us on our current MRCHI op, which I will be posting about below:

Dokar's version (better):
    Liveblog of this op destined for horrible failure (but lots of laughs!):

03:10: Let the fitting op begin!
    03:20: Actual FC arrives
    03:30: Drunken Mentakona arrives.

03:35: Drunken Mentakona mumbles something about guidance systems while eating a delicious roast beef sandwich.

03:54: PAP LINK

03:56: Fleet departs after ducking (NOT dunking!) a BL Gila fleet (aka hiding in station)

04:00: Discussions turns to the "two mushrooms" in the top left after taking a jump bridge.

04:05: Caught a buzzard coming into L-T. Decloaked several times and then nuked him. MoA stabber jumped in behind him and ran back into O-N before he died.
    https://zkillboard.com/kill/42877583/
    https://zkillboard.com/kill/42877588/

04:09: Mentakona "I'm going to go align off and take a leak"

04:10: Camp set up on Saranen gate while leaks happen. http://www.leekspin.com

04:17: Dennis Hopper ID'd as spy. As proof, he jammed Kael :colbert:

04:19: :rip: Vile Rat :smith:

04:20: Someone finds out there's a system named "ah-shit-sue" or something. We're going there.

04:25: Trying to invade a FW site with 3-4 guys. They bugged out before we got in there.

04:30: Kachiko gets tackled in a ghost site. (by a rat)

04:35: Kachiko saved in low armor!

04:36: On warp-out, I get tackled!

04:38: Dokar saved! (half-armor)

http://i.imgur.com/0sMyc5d.jpg

04:40: OP becomes PvE as we're curious what Ghost sites drop. Loot: "Ferox Guristas Edition" BPC. OP SUCCESS.

04:50: Who lights a station cyno in a naga? Spaceship Samurai do, apparently.

04:53: Our glorious FC: "Warp to zero on the villeeereeaaearrrar gate"

04:57: Black Legion in local to lowsec dude "GF GF Pro Ibis kill". 3 Thanatoi in system.

04:58: Ratting ticks! 257k isk :woop: :hf: :woop:

05:05: Engage in gate battle in Villerararalal. Killed a Thorax, but lost...some stuff.

05:10: docked up to wait out timers.

05:12: the run for nullsec begins.

05:17: "Mentenault" system? Why yes, we are all Ment's alts...

05:20: "RQH! Finally a place that sounds like a REAL system!"

05:23: Dennis Hopper confirmed spai again. Flying to Taisy instead of 4-AB. Going to join his friends in BL, no doubt. :colbert:

05:32: Jump into a MoA gate camp in J-CIJV. We decide to burn back to gate. As we decloak, they all jump through to run away.

We'll count that as defeating a gang of 6 scythe navy's and a cynabal. :smug:

05:38: Back in YA0. Time to hit the sack before St. Nick comes by. 8)

My version (worse):
    Mumble channel, we actual have real humans in MRCHI, this is proof: http://i.imgur.com/mUOqegg.png

Direct quote from our CEO, Mentakona, as I type this: "I have two dicks"

We killed a Buzzard that we managed to decloak when he jumped into us: http://i.imgur.com/aJiDFE2.png. Props to Mentakona for the bubble that caught him, and for Dennis Hopper (recently rejoined MRCHI, thanks to this thread!) who salvaged the wreck: http://i.imgur.com/kUERsMd.png . Haha kidding he has like Salvaging I and it took too long so he gave up.

We are heading to "Ashitsu" because I laughed when I saw the name.

We juuuust missed a Gnosis on a gate.

We juuuuust

oh wait we are literally actually almost getting killed by rats

http://i.imgur.com/0sMyc5d.jpg

We survived.

Cyno in Kinakka, we're gonna go kill it. Nope it's down.

Ok then we fought some guys on a gate, they had fighters assigned, we killed a Thorax (http://i.imgur.com/gcTypk0.png) and lost like 5 of our dudes. Two kills, op success!

Ellthiteren on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Warms my heart to see MRCHIs in the ops channel

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    On our latest merch op, we end up shooting rats.

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    How the hell did I take a short range brick fit prophecy on a merchi armor roam...and live?

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    Because the Hurricane was a juicier target.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    On our latest merch op, we end up shooting rats.
    It's not a merch roam if it doesn't!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I figure I might as well buy a month of this and try to get into it again.

What time periods do you guys usually play?

Also is any of the Steam DLC worth it/interesting?

• Options
    I'm out of date, but I thought the general advice was to avoid Steam. Did they ever fix that so that your account wasn't tied to your steam account? The Steam DLC isn't DLC; it's microtransactions for stuff you can get ingame any ways. The stuff is so cheap that you could probably get someone to give you that stuff for free. If you really want to spend $20 to get a leg up, buy a PLEX and sell it for mucho isk.

MRCHI is usually active in EU and US TZ's, and is part of a larger alliance that is active 23/7, but has it's primary focus in EU & Eastern US TZ's.

• Options
    I've already got my account on Steam so will have to see how it'shandled once I'm done re-downloading. Thanks for the advice on DLC.

• Options
    As soon as it is done downloading and you log in; follow the instructions in the OP to apply. EVE solo is a completely different game than EVE as a part of MRCHI. We don't want you to try the "get used to things on my own, wtf, this is crap" bit and then leave. We want you to try the "Get used to... Why am I getting yelled at to get into fleet!? HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AWESOME. Ok now what... Why am I in fleet!? Where did this ship I'm flying come from!? What am I doing!?!? HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AWESOME!" bit.

• Options
    I've tried the wtf, this is crap solo stuff before.

Honestly it was a kinda pretty but generic MMO in that case for how the gameplay felt.

Always adored the idea behind Eve but never really got to do any of the group stuff that makes it interesting.

• Options
    EVE really fails hard at the generic MMO stuff. Missions (generic MMO quests) have gotten a buff lately with Burner missions; but I dunno if those are decent or not. Besides that, missions tend to suck.

I'm not even sure what other generic MMO stuff EVE has. Chat? Guilds? Monthly Payments?

• Options
    Hotkey combat.

I realise the combat's got alot of depth to it but starting out I might as well be hitting 1 to power shot for all the engaging decisions I had.

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    PvE isn't combat. It's a time penalty attached to ISK creation.

There is no depth, and there won't be for the foreseeable future.

• Options
    PvE isn't combat. It's a time penalty attached to ISK creation.

This is absolutely true of EVE's PvE, and it probably has to be true for EVE's economy to function. That said, there are aspects of PvE in EVE that people find genuinely fun/interesting: incursions can be challenging if you're a min/max raid optimization type person (and can put up with hisec dwellers), wormhole PvE is kinda interesting because OH GOD YOU'RE BEING HUNTED THE ENTIRE TIME, and some people really seem to enjoy both market/industry stuff and exploration. But in all of those cases, it's not really the PvE itself that is engaging, it's how you're doing it with/against other players.

Combat's pretty similar - there's a lot of depth, but most of it goes way beyond the buttons a single player is pressing. For example, how you prepare for a fight, fit your ship, and pick the right targets is hugely important. Gorn is an expert in this kind of thing; I'm fairly terrible at it.

• Options
    Alternatively, PvP has oodles of depth. You will drown repeatedly kind of depth. But it certainly isn't "Press hot key, wait for cool down, press hot key".

Exception to this would be for a line member in a fleet fight, but that is why I prefer support roles in big fleet fights. But even being a line member in a fleet fight can be a hectic and rewarding experience.

• Options
    So just downloading the last few patches. What race do you recommend starting with? I like the look of pretty much everything but Amarr (because lasers are dumb and not as cool as explosions/bullets).

• Options
    Your starting race has very little affect on where you end up.

• Options
    OK, I know this is going to sound stupid... but go with the race that you lolRP prefer. Maybe it's the look, perhaps it's the lore, perhaps you just like their style of construction, or government, or what pirate factions spun off from them. Unlike other MMOs, the choices you make in EVE at the beginning when you know the least, matter the least.

Of course, EVE players can min/max the heck out of race selection. If your following the newbie skill plan, I think going Minmatar or Gallente gives you a day or two advantage. Which is as good a reason as any.

• Options
    Went with Caldari because missiles and pretty space ships.

I remember liking their Frigate designs last time I played. Will post in game name and sign up once I've sorted the tutorials tonight.

• Options
    Right, characters Volpe Aivoras. Sent in the app while waiting on auto pilot.

• Options
    grim sbgrim sb Registered User regular
    Plus there's free beer!*

Currently the yicky kind of animal crackers, not the delicious kind of animal crackers. Yes, I asked him, I wasn't sure if I should be jealous or not.

Meh - they were in the cabinet and I was snacky.

People who live in igloos shouldn't throw snowballs.

Or something.

• Options
    If he lived in an igloo he probably would have been eaten by bears...

Are you posting from inside a bears stomach?

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Well it's definitely not a jungle anaconda.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    I'm debating on picking it up for the 5 bucks to see if I like it. I've looked at it for YEARS but never got around to pulling the trigger. I may give it a shot since it's on sale and my PC can run it well.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    I'm debating on picking it up for the 5 bucks to see if I like it. I've looked at it for YEARS but never got around to pulling the trigger. I may give it a shot since it's on sale and my PC can run it well.

Fairly certain most guys can chuck you a trail to test it out if you'd like.

Also I'm heading to bed now but for those it might concern I couldn't get the auth.goonfleet page to load or it's wiki stuff. Might just be a temporary thing or my internet being dumb but felt I may as well point it out.

• Options

On the theory that $0 is cheaper than $5; get a trial from someone. OP has a couple of ppl you can PM to get a trial link ( @Anehii @Ellthiteren Or click the link in my sig) and if you decide to sub, they'll give you the isk from the buddy reward.

• Options
    Yeah, basically, you can pay $5 for 30 days of game time (buying EVE on sale), or you can pay $0 for 21 days of game time (free trial) and then $15 for another 60 days of game time (one month + reward from whoever gave you your trial) if you end up liking it. Both are pretty good deals!

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Thanks guys. I'll shoot one of you a PM later.

• Options
    @Ellthiteren‌ I just sent you a PM :)

This discussion has been closed.