As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Going to New Jersey this weekend, looking for places to visit.

HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
edited November 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
Need help with filling my weekend trip to NJ. As an Angelino, I have zero concept of public transportation so any information on that appreciated or else Ubber all the way.

Here is my current plan:
    Friday
  • Arrive NJ around 6-7pm if weather permits at Newark.
  • My hotel is at Marriott, Somerset, NJ - Does anyone have any recommendations on Friday night? I arrive first to NJ so doing it solo.
    Saturday
  • How hard is it to go to Hoboken from Somerset via public transportation?
    Sunday
  • Depart from Newark around 7pm, looking for suggestions for group places to go in day time.

Airport - Newark
    Hotel - Marriott, Somerset, NJ

I am very adventurous so taking in any ideas what to do here. Also let me know sketchy areas to avoid.

Thank you

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
Horus on

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    You are really in the middle of nowhere New Jersey, halfway between New York City and Philadelphia.
    Heck, you're even pretty far from the Jersey Shore and Atlantic City.
    The only stuff around Somerset/Princeton NJ is all the pharmaceutical manufacturing plants, which were purposefully built out in the middle of nowhere due to the cheap land.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    hsu is being a little exaggerative but only a little. Without a feel for exactly what you're looking to do, here's a few points based on your questions:

1) For Friday night, your best bet may be to head down to Princeton (maybe 25-30 minutes from your hotel). There are enough restaurants etc to give you some options for food/drinks.

2) You can get to Hoboken via public transit, but it isn't easy from Somerset. You would have to take an NJ Transit train back up to Newark and switch off to a line that went into Hoboken (the one coming from Somerset doesn't). You're probably better off with Uber, but it is a bit of a drive.

3) It sounds like the place you'll be with the sketchiest areas is Newark.

Hope that helps -- if you can clarify a bit more the kind of things you'd be interested in seeing/doing, I might be able to suggest something else.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    you could take the train to newark and then hop on the path to hoboken.

If you have a free day, just hop the train to NYC

Princeton is a good bet for restauraunts, though somerville has been steadily improving itself and has more restaruants that it used to.

keep in mind the weather is supposed to be terrible this weekend.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    @twmjr‌ @mts‌
    I know weather may suck but i am open to some good eats for Friday night so I can check around Somerset. Yelp didnt give me much. Really want deep dish or Italian. Something that says New Jersey.

I will do Hoboken Saturday morning.

How bad is weather and how would i know its not worth driving far? The weddding is on Saturday around 6pm. I am native angelino so cold and public transportation is foreign for me.

Thank you

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    if you make it to princeton
    i heartily recommend Teressas in palmer square. I think it's the best italian around and it is my favorite restaurant in Princeton. Though there are good italian places in somerville, i can't recommend much since its been a while since I have been there and its changed a lot.

You won't find deep dish. NY thin crust everywhere as it should be.

As of like 5 minutes ago, it was raining pretty heavily and starting to snow. not sure how it will be by this weekend

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    *pulls up tires screeching*

huff...puff...I...I can...I can help...

You're in Somerset! Do you have a car or access to one? Go to New Brunswick! You're right by Rutgers University and the surrounding college town, which is a bit of a foodie place. Check out Easton Ave and George St for good foods. If you can't make it up to NYC for a day, Mamoun's Falafel opened in NB a while back and it's great. Harvest Moon on George St is a fantastic little microbrewery. We always used to crowd the bar at Clydz for the huge martini and cocktail selection (food's good, too!). If your heart is stick on pizza, we always used to go to City Slice on Easton Ave for the good NYC pizza. And if you're a nerd, check out Sanctuary, the combination cafe/ice creamery/comic book store. And if you're really trying to prove you're a badass, go eat a Fat Sandwich at one of the Grease Trucks.Checking out NB wouldn't take much time out of your day since it's right next to Somerset (provided you have a car).

Yeah...it's my alma mater. In case you couldn't tell.

You can go to Princeton as well, but it's pricey there. It's a nice, wealthy town. Different sort of college town vibe than New Brunswick (well, doy, Ivy town). I've been to Teressas and it's great as mts says, but I wouldn't go alone (do you have a posse?).

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Yeah, @Hakkekage‌ has the right of it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will not find a quintessentially Jersey pizza place in that part of the country, at least not what you're thinking of when people say "New Jersey."

The central part of NJ, which includes places like Middlesex county (where New Brunswick is) has some serious identity issues. South Jersey absorbs a lot of culture from Philadelphia, Camden, and the shore, and North Jersey gets a lot of culture from New York, but the central counties are just far enough from both places that they don't have as strong of an identity. This sounds like I'm disparaging that part of the state, but it is actually pretty cool. (I went to Rutgers for graduate school, so I can't hate it that much.)

If you're looking for a quintessential Jersey experience, the grease trucks are what you're looking for. At the intersection of Hamilton and College Ave in New Brunswick are a couple of trucks serving fat sandwiches. Get one. You're eating the most Jersey thing you could possibly eat in that part of the state. The College ave scene isn't really my bag, especially now that it's football season, but you're really close to a lot of the more social parts of that campus if that's something you wanted to check out.

I didn't see it get mentioned above, but my favorite restaurant in New Brunswick is actually an Ethiopian joint called Makeda: http://www.makedas.com/ . The decor and ambiance are rad, and the food is incredible. I live in LA and am spoiled by Little Ethiopia, but I would still eat at Makedas if I went back to New Brunswick.

Princeton has a beautiful campus, and it is well worth visiting and gawking at, but it can be hard to get to using public transportation.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Omg I am going to Princeton on Friday it's gorgeous!!! I won't have a car but I am planning on using uber, is it safe to assume they are available in Somerset and Princeton? Al so is it safe to go solo? Buddy may join me but still up in the air.
    @LoveIsUnity @Hakkekage

Horus on
  • Options
    Horus wrote: »
    Omg I am going to Princeton on Friday it's gorgeous!!! I won't have a car but I am planning on using uber, is it safe to assume they are available in Somerset and Princeton? Al so is it safe to go solo? Buddy may join me but still up in the air.
    @LoveIsUnity @Hakkekage

I don't have a smart phone, so I've never used Uber. I'm sure someone on here can answer that, though.

Princeton is super safe, yeah. You don't have anything to worry about, especially if you're on or near campus.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    *pulls up tires screeching*

huff...puff...I...I can...I can help...

[good advice]

i can't really describe the feels i felt when i first found out they were gonna open a Mamoun's in no funswick. it wasn't quite like Christmas but it was close

@Horus this is to say you should go to Mamoun's if you can get into New Brunswick

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    Yeah, @Hakkekage‌ has the right of it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will not find a quintessentially Jersey pizza place in that part of the country, at least not what you're thinking of when people say "New Jersey."

The central part of NJ, which includes places like Middlesex county (where New Brunswick is) has some serious identity issues. South Jersey absorbs a lot of culture from Philadelphia, Camden, and the shore, and North Jersey gets a lot of culture from New York, but the central counties are just far enough from both places that they don't have as strong of an identity. This sounds like I'm disparaging that part of the state, but it is actually pretty cool. (I went to Rutgers for graduate school, so I can't hate it that much.)

If you're looking for a quintessential Jersey experience, the grease trucks are what you're looking for. At the intersection of Hamilton and College Ave in New Brunswick are a couple of trucks serving fat sandwiches. Get one. You're eating the most Jersey thing you could possibly eat in that part of the state. The College ave scene isn't really my bag, especially now that it's football season, but you're really close to a lot of the more social parts of that campus if that's something you wanted to check out.

I didn't see it get mentioned above, but my favorite restaurant in New Brunswick is actually an Ethiopian joint called Makeda: http://www.makedas.com/ . The decor and ambiance are rad, and the food is incredible. I live in LA and am spoiled by Little Ethiopia, but I would still eat at Makedas if I went back to New Brunswick.

Princeton has a beautiful campus, and it is well worth visiting and gawking at, but it can be hard to get to using public transportation.

First: The grease trucks are no longer at Hamilton and College Ave :( They are turning that parking lot into a new building (there is a LOT of campus and off-campus development in New Brunswick right now). The trucks have been scattered around the campuses. I believe the College Ave one is now at the top of the street by the Alexander library and the Student Center.

Second: I LOVE MAKEDA. How could I forget it? It's the fucking. Best. Ever.

• Options
    @LoveIsUnity @Hakkekage

I don't have a smart phone, so I've never used Uber. I'm sure someone on here can answer that, though.

Princeton is super safe, yeah. You don't have anything to worry about, especially if you're on or near campus.

At bold: O_O

Agree, Princeton is like, unquestionably safe. And the campus will be especially bare over Thanksgiving weekend, I imagine. New Brunswick will be similarly desolate, too.

I don't know anything about the Uber scene around here. I have a car so I don't need it, and Uber didn't even exist/wasn't widely used when I was a student (not that I would have coughed up money for it anyway).

• Options
    @LoveIsUnity @Hakkekage

Agree, Princeton is like, unquestionably safe. And the campus will be especially bare over Thanksgiving weekend, I imagine. New Brunswick will be similarly desolate, too.

I don't know anything about the Uber scene around here. I have a car so I don't need it, and Uber didn't even exist/wasn't widely used when I was a student (not that I would have coughed up money for it anyway).

My phone still has buttons...

New Brunswick is a bit less safe than Princeton, but it's not dangerous. I know a couple of people who were mugged there, but that's one or two people over the course of four or five years, which I think is normal for most areas. Stay in the more populated areas, College Ave, Easton, Hamilton, George, etc... and you won't need to worry, doubly so if you're taking cars.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @LoveIsUnity @Hakkekage

New Brunswick is a bit less safe than Princeton, but it's not dangerous. I know a couple of people who were mugged there, but that's one or two people over the course of four or five years, which I think is normal for most areas. Stay in the more populated areas, College Ave, Easton, Hamilton, George, etc... and you won't need to worry, doubly so if you're taking cars.

The part of New Brunswick he'd be going to is completely safe. When was the last time you were there, LIU? I graduated 2 and a half years ago and College Ave is barely recognizable to me. The speed of upgrading and development going on is a little crazy.

• Options
    @LoveIsUnity @Hakkekage

The part of New Brunswick he'd be going to is completely safe. When was the last time you were there, LIU? I graduated 2 and a half years ago and College Ave is barely recognizable to me. The speed of upgrading and development going on is a little crazy.

I haven't been back since I finished in 2010, so it's been a little while.

steam_sig.png