As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Silly Question About a Rooster

MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain?ChicagoRegistered User regular
So silly question about a grocery bag. Is this correct or should East and West be flipped?

mwmzwnxqni8h.jpg

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    No, when looking north west should be to the left not the right.

in other words, east and west are flipped and wrong

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    That's what I thought but wasn't sure if it could be spinning. But W would still always be on the left as you said.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    The way I used to remember was if you're looking at a standard compass with north at the top, west and east spell "we". You can also think West Coast/East Coast, if that helps.

Though looking at that picture, it could be a perspective thing. If you were below it and looking up, it would be correct.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    If you would encounter a physical weather vane or weathercock (heh), you would be looking at it from below. I think this is the kind of perspective the artist had in mind.

• Options
    Ash of YewAsh of Yew Registered User regular
    Yeah, just a perspective thing. I actually saw it the correct way at first, and had to force myself to see it the "wrong" way, after which it messed with my brain a bunch to get it "right" again =P

I'd imagine the artist did that purposefully.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Goddamnit @Ash of Yew‌ now I can't unsee that.

Damn optical tricks.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    The compass point part of the thing is supposed to be fixed pointing to the actual directions based on wherever the building is, and the rooster part rotates freely on top with the wind.

The way that's drawn though it looks like it's all one piece with the rooster permanently facing west or southwest, which I think is the confusing part.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The way I used to remember was if you're looking at a standard compass with north at the top, west and east spell "we". You can also think West Coast/East Coast, if that helps.

Though looking at that picture, it could be a perspective thing. If you were below it and looking up, it would be correct.

If you go clockwise around the compass, it's Never Eat Shredded Wheat.

I have no idea why.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

If you go clockwise around the compass, it's Never Eat Shredded Wheat.

I have no idea why.

Or if you're Australian, it's Never Eat Soggy Weetbix.

Which should be self-explanatory.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, the way I saw it first it's correct.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I can sort of see that perspective, but have to force it.

Thanks for looking at my weird cock, I just had an immediate 'did they screw up NESW?' on the image that covers most of the bag.

Another method; Never Engage South Enders'.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Your cock isn't weird, it's just drawn that way.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I can sort of see that perspective, but have to force it.

Thanks for looking at my weird cock, I just had an immediate 'did they screw up NESW?' on the image that covers most of the bag.

Another method; Never Engage South Enders'.

North East South East?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    you know, he ain't gonna die