As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DOTA 2] 6.85

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Upside of today is I only have Razor and Ostarion left for my first 10 heroes. I unlocked a Crucible and got the Year Best set for Ostarion, so my next match will be in style. It's nice to be on a win streak instead of a loss streak for a change.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    I wish there were an out of game method that didn't involve uploading the build I want to use on heroes to the cloud. D2RIC is pretty outdated with all the new items now, but it's so much easier to just edit the textfile then go through all the steps using the guide builder involves.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    TI Regional Qualifiers have started! So much DOTA! 24 hours a day for the next eight days!

Sure, only like, three teams have a shot in their respective region. But still, so much DOTA!

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    I woke up a few days ago and said "I'm going to try playing carries now."

And I've never done anything more soul destroying. Losing as a carry is the most dismal experience I've ever had playing videogames. Not frustrating, just dismal. I felt constantly behind and like I was never contributing in any relevant way. I don't think I like carries tbh.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Musicool wrote: »

And I've never done anything more soul destroying. Losing as a carry is the most dismal experience I've ever had playing videogames. Not frustrating, just dismal. I felt constantly behind and like I was never contributing in any relevant way. I don't think I like carries tbh.

Ditto kinda with a caveat.

Different carries are different. Find one that works for you.

Bristle Back can be played as a carry in scrub tier (i.e. my tier)

Rikki's great up until the higher skilled tiers (though it only takes on support or counter pick to ruin your day). Don't pick him if the enemy has a Slardar or Bounty.

Slark is and probably will be my favourite forever. He's very forgiving. Though watch out for AoE dmg and stun heroes.

If the enemy picks 5 magic nukers (which happens more often than you think), Huskar excells. Even so though, I don't like him.

Slardar is great all around, but even more so if the enemy picks a Bounty, Riki, Brood, or Huskar.

edit: Also, which area are you having trouble with? Early game farming/harrasing for instance can be solved by picking a hero that can jungle effectively.
    Or, if it is an option for you, get a friend to play with you as a complementary support.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Mortious wrote: »

Rikki's great up until the higher skilled tiers (though it only takes on support or counter pick to ruin your day). Don't pick him if the enemy has a Slardar or Bounty.

Slark is and probably will be my favourite forever. He's very forgiving. Though watch out for AoE dmg and stun heroes.

If the enemy picks 5 magic nukers (which happens more often than you think), Huskar excells. Even so though, I don't like him.

Slardar is great all around, but even more so if the enemy picks a Bounty, Riki, Brood, or Huskar.

edit: Also, which area are you having trouble with? Early game farming/harrasing for instance can be solved by picking a hero that can jungle effectively.
    Or, if it is an option for you, get a friend to play with you as a complementary support.

Thanks for the advice. My last game was a real struggle: it was me as Jugg against heavy harass from a Silencer. I had to leave lane twice to get regen until I figured out the best way to stay in lane - a magic stick and a casual ring of health. It was still too late. We'd lost the lane and it was just downhill from there. I did try to transition to jungling as soon as possible, but I think I just itemised too little too late.

Maybe even a soul ring would have helped, in hindsight. Every time he cast on me I could have popped soul ring and either dropped my healing ward or blade fury'd right back at him. Plus dat hp regen would have topped me up between cooldowns.

I think I just suck at fighting in this game: all the interactions still seem way too much to me and I can't judge whether or not I can win a fight or what I should be doing. It worked out as a support because the general rule is the same: stay out of range and fling your spells when you can. It's also why I tend to play pushing carries much better - I just happily split push for days.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Thanks for the advice. My least game was a real struggle: it was me as Jugg against heavy harass from a Silencer. I had to leave lane twice to get regen until I figured out the best way to stay in lane - a magic stick and a casual ring of health. It was still too late. We'd lost the lane and it was just downhill from there. I did try to transition to jungling as soon as possible, but I think I just itemised too little too late.

Maybe even a soul ring would have helped, in hindsight. Every time he hit me I could have popped soul ring and either dropped my healing ward or blade fury'd right back at him.

Jugg is a hero I really want to love, but I always do so badly on him.

Which made worse when the enemy team always wreck me with him.

I'll stick with Slark myself. He's got lots of neat tricks, and post-6 he's really hard to lock down/harrass.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Thanks for the advice. My least game was a real struggle: it was me as Jugg against heavy harass from a Silencer. I had to leave lane twice to get regen until I figured out the best way to stay in lane - a magic stick and a casual ring of health. It was still too late. We'd lost the lane and it was just downhill from there. I did try to transition to jungling as soon as possible, but I think I just itemised too little too late.

Maybe even a soul ring would have helped, in hindsight. Every time he hit me I could have popped soul ring and either dropped my healing ward or blade fury'd right back at him.

I'll stick with Slark myself. He's got lots of neat tricks, and post-6 he's really hard to lock down/harrass.

I guess it was also my mistake picking carry in lobbies where my team doesn't seem to understand the counter to Bloodseeker snowballing is 100 gold a piece. My bracket is sorta dominated by snowball carries and I should probably jump on that bandwagon.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

I guess it was also my mistake picking carry in lobbies where my team doesn't seem to understand the counter to Bloodseeker snowballing is 100 gold a piece. My bracket is sorta dominated by snowball carries and I should probably jump on that bandwagon.

Play QoP. Yell at people. Rush dagon. Have good time.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Man, I'm not one to complain about killstealing, but when I'm playing Axe and this Lina is saving her ult for whoever gets low first...it makes me kinda mad. Are people so desperate for kills that they'll blow a HUGE ult and deny their team the culling blade buff just so their KDA looks totally sweet at end of game?

Ok, I'm mostly mad that I didn't get to see the cool SLAM DUNK as much as I wanted, but THAT ASIDE, it was still frigging stupid.

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    TI5 qualifiers are on this week, nearly 24/7.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Man, I'm not one to complain about killstealing, but when I'm playing Axe and this Lina is saving her ult for whoever gets low first...it makes me kinda mad. Are people so desperate for kills that they'll blow a HUGE ult and deny their team the culling blade buff just so their KDA looks totally sweet at end of game?

Ok, I'm mostly mad that I didn't get to see the cool SLAM DUNK as much as I wanted, but THAT ASIDE, it was still frigging stupid.

It's the same with 75% of Zeus players.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

Went to bed, dota.

Woke up, still dota.

Pretty good.

• Options
    Have not played Leshrac in forever. Forgot how much of a team fight monster he can be.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Have not played Leshrac in forever. Forgot how much of a team fight monster he can be.

Also he got some big buffs -- to lightning in particular. That spell is so good now.
    3clipse wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »

Went to bed, dota.

Woke up, still dota.

Pretty good.

Aye. NA qualifiers on now.

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    TI is like March Madness for nerds. I fuckin' love it.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    It's interesting to watch the Chinese and American qualifiers running concurrently, you can see exactly how different the styles are by region. In China, no one even bothers to ban Io, because nobody in China plays that strategy. Meanwhile, I think every American game has featured a first pick Clockwerk for the offlane.

Although one thing remains true everywhere: Queen of Pain, 100% pick/ban.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Someone (forget who) commentating mentioned the Wisp thing and said this: It's not that Chinese teams don't pick the hero, it's that the ones that can run well it are already invited.

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    A reminder for anyone not watching in-client that you should be using livestreamer so you can watch in with comfortable VLC player instead of crappy flash.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Guys, watch the second match of Not Today vs North American Rejects. That was a good game.

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    A reminder for anyone not watching in-client that you should be using livestreamer so you can watch in with comfortable VLC player instead of crappy flash.
    And if you have crappy internet like me it is a good idea to 1) pick a suitable stream quality and 2) increase the ringbuffer-size option to something higher than the default 16M.

Today I learned that this exists, but haven't tried it yet. Might be handy for some folks here.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Thanks for the advice. My last game was a real struggle: it was me as Jugg against heavy harass from a Silencer. I had to leave lane twice to get regen until I figured out the best way to stay in lane - a magic stick and a casual ring of health. It was still too late. We'd lost the lane and it was just downhill from there. I did try to transition to jungling as soon as possible, but I think I just itemised too little too late.

Maybe even a soul ring would have helped, in hindsight. Every time he cast on me I could have popped soul ring and either dropped my healing ward or blade fury'd right back at him. Plus dat hp regen would have topped me up between cooldowns.

I think I just suck at fighting in this game: all the interactions still seem way too much to me and I can't judge whether or not I can win a fight or what I should be doing. It worked out as a support because the general rule is the same: stay out of range and fling your spells when you can. It's also why I tend to play pushing carries much better - I just happily split push for days.

Yeah, that's why I tend to shy away from carries who don't have some easy orb walking or lane harrassment spells. Viper is good in any lane, and the orb walking usually results in a lane kill eventually. Axe is just a lot of fun, and the Calling while next to a bunch of enemy creeps and an enemy Hero or two usually results in a lane kill.

My favorite carries are Terrorblade, PL, Tiny, and Bounty, as they each have a way of ramping up their net worth if they're behind. If I have good lane partners, I don't need that, and we stomp. If I don't, then I play it safe, get some farm where I can, farm in the mid-game, and stomp.

Bounty, in particular, just needs to be a part of a teamfight, track and kill a squishie, and he's at the top of the net worth board all of a sudden, and he snowballs quickly. I often have to settle for 9-10 LH's in the laning phase with him, and just supporting the other guy.
    Disco11 wrote: »

It's the same with 75% of Zeus players.

I've been bitched at for not being a Killstealing Zeus, and opening up teamfights with his ult. Multiple times. I just shake my head and hit mute buttons. Yes, it's hilarious to catch people on low health in the jungle, and people running for dear life to the fountain, but holy shit is it a teamfight winner if you open with it.

Two days ago someone on my team was playing Zeus, and we had a tryhard ordering him to Ult only when he wanted him to, which of course was always after he lost a man-fight. Because that's smart play.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    übergeek wrote: »
    Upside of today is I only have Razor and Ostarion left for my first 10 heroes. I unlocked a Crucible and got the Year Best set for Ostarion, so my next match will be in style. It's nice to be on a win streak instead of a loss streak for a change.

I had visage and meepo, so I did 4 of the others I had, and re-rolled.

Now I have Beastmaster, so I've raised the white flag on the whole thing. I've tried him a few times vs bots, I just can't play him worth a shit. Not even enough to justify grabbing him if I had two other shitty choices in Single Draft. In hindsight, I should have gotten a few more before I re-rolled, but what's done is done.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Guys, watch the second match of Not Today vs North American Rejects. That was a good game.

Yeah, there were a bunch of good NA region games actually. This is the best kind of competitive dota; scrappy teams duking it out just for a chance get into the dance, and near constant games, it's like the opening round of the NCAA tourney. It's great.

• Options
    And mouz is blowing it, because of course they are. They'll probably finish second and have to take the lower bracket to qualify, and anything can happen then.

Seriously, guys, how could you not 2-0 Complexity and ROOT? Or at least one of them?

• Options
    411Randle wrote: »
    And mouz is blowing it, because of course they are. They'll probably finish second and have to take the lower bracket to qualify, and anything can happen then.

Seriously, guys, how could you not 2-0 Complexity and ROOT? Or at least one of them?

Is that what happened in the Root matchup? I went to sleep after the first match, which was exciting. So they didn 't close out that series then?

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    übergeek wrote: »

I had visage and meepo, so I did 4 of the others I had, and re-rolled.

Now I have Beastmaster, so I've raised the white flag on the whole thing. I've tried him a few times vs bots, I just can't play him worth a shit. Not even enough to justify grabbing him if I had two other shitty choices in Single Draft. In hindsight, I should have gotten a few more before I re-rolled, but what's done is done.

I actually really like Beastmaster. Me and some friends were randoming vs. bots and I got him and he feels really solid. Punches pretty hard, has a great initiation ult, and his Q does ludicrous amounts of damage. The boar's slow is really nice and you have free temp wards (I still don't know how to efficiently ward but I'm always willing to pop a hawk wherever a teammate wants vision).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    complexity is actually playing really well these quals. i would not be surprised if they are in the top two for NA

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Hey, am I right in thinking that if I can't farm a battlefury fast on PA then I should give up on buying it at all? I was struggling early and the game looked to be going late so I sold off my BF pieces and went for HotD and Basher instead. It seemed to work out but I don't know. Also, the DP on our team (who'd recommended selling BF in the first place) recommended Abyssal before Satanic but on that I disagreed. His reasoning was to lock down the Weaver, but I thought the bigger danger was dying to a SK blink ult. My hope there was to flick the switch on Satanic, W on SK (or another squishy target) and go ham and hope to lifesteal through the ult. Never got the chance to test but I thought it was sound.

Also, my last PL game I was right proud to make a good itemisation call. Up against an ES, Sven, CM and Doom I figured after Diffusal I'd forget about Manta and go straight for Heart. The Doom even asked me why and I just said that with 4 heroes with huge nukes and/or AoE I needed all the tank I could get. He wondered why not Skadi instead and I checked out Skadi's stats and though...nah, I want all the tank I can get and the slow isn't so important with diffusal plus maxed E. The Heart worked out super well too: I tanked a whole Doom ult twice and didn't even have to go back to fountain.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm finding the itemisation choices on carries are way more interesting than I thought.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Is wild Axes really that crazy in terms of damage? I never thought much of it. The boar slow is where it is at.

• Options
    So I played Dark Seer last night (and did badly), but I like his skill set and want to get good at him.

But I'm not sure where he fits in.

I played him as a kind of greedy support, which I felt would have worked if our Axe was any good.

He farms quickly, so getting items wasn't that hard. I ended up getting soul ring, guardian greaves, and octarine core.

I was originally iffy on the octarine core, but once you have 2 ion shells up hitting multiple enemies, he's surprisingly tanky.

So maybe I'll skip guardian greaves next game, and see if someone else will grab the mek?

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Apparently blink is a big thing for DS. It helps him get those sweet, sweet Wall/Vac combos in the middle of a teamfight. So I've seen a lot of Dark Seers go straight blink if they think someone else is buying Mek. Then it's utility/tank items from there, like Pipe or Crimson Guard.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    So I played Dark Seer last night (and did badly), but I like his skill set and want to get good at him.

I played him as a kind of greedy support, which I felt would have worked if our Axe was any good.

He farms quickly, so getting items wasn't that hard. I ended up getting soul ring, guardian greaves, and octarine core.

I was originally iffy on the octarine core, but once you have 2 ion shells up hitting multiple enemies, he's surprisingly tanky.

So maybe I'll skip guardian greaves next game, and see if someone else will grab the mek?

DS is a weird position. I would put him in at a utility greedy support. He can't really lane support, since he will push lanes and take away exp from the carry but he is great for picking up things like mek, shiva etc. stuff for team fight

Blink works since it can set up the vacumn into wall, but it also helps him chase down heroes with his ion shell

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »

DS is a weird position. I would put him in at a utility greedy support. He can't really lane support, since he will push lanes and take away exp from the carry but he is great for picking up things like mek, shiva etc. stuff for team fight

Blink works since it can set up the vacumn into wall, but it also helps him chase down heroes with his ion shell

He is also the easiest hero to jungle if you need to leave lane and ion shell a stacked camp to leave you carry to farm a bit.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I'm having a ton of fun playing carry Oracle from mid lane lately. Holy crap, he is a powerful ganker if you combo his abilities correctly. And he can be a late game auto attacker if built correctly, with his new ultimate.

He's been my new jam when playing with my friends.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    I was watching ROOT vs Unknown last night, and their use of DS was pretty awesome to watch. He just double-shelled the creeps during the laning phase. It pushed the lane, but he got lots of farm, and it was keeping Sven at 20% HP throughout the laning phase.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I was watching ROOT vs Unknown last night, and their use of DS was pretty awesome to watch. He just double-shelled the creeps during the laning phase. It pushed the lane, but he got lots of farm, and it was keeping Sven at 20% HP throughout the laning phase.

DS offlane vs a melee carry is pretty brutal to watch.

In other news, just had the first game where I truly learned what the word "carry" means. The whole enemy team was 5 carries and I was the sole hard carry, as a PL. The rest of my team wasn't awful and they tried - they just didn't have the right heroes to handle even a 4v2. Luckily I'd itemised much better than the other team. Against Riki, Jugg, Drow, Troll and someone I forget I could 2v1 and even 3v1 pretty comfortably because none of them had the abilities or items to handle me.

Still lost because having to deal with EVERY split pushing carry eventually wears you down but damn was that a fight and a half. I enjoyed it, but this must be the opposite of the Support Syndrome, where all your early efforts are wasted on feeding carries. Instead, all your lategame carrying is fruitless because there are too many fed carries on the other team.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options

yea, he is fun. great against a melee carry, and its super easy to surge out into the jungle, drop an ion shell on the smallest creep in a stack and run back in

another use of blink on him that i thought of, is to just make him hard to chase down. you want him to pop in and out and just be a nuisance. force staff would be good on him too.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Early game offlane DS is kind of boring I find; stand back and ion shell.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    mts wrote: »
    complexity is actually playing really well these quals. i would not be surprised if they are in the top two for NA

I noticed that too. It's kind of weird to see them playing well and not throwing games.
    Hey, am I right in thinking that if I can't farm a battlefury fast on PA then I should give up on buying it at all? I was struggling early and the game looked to be going late so I sold off my BF pieces and went for HotD and Basher instead. It seemed to work out but I don't know. Also, the DP on our team (who'd recommended selling BF in the first place) recommended Abyssal before Satanic but on that I disagreed. His reasoning was to lock down the Weaver, but I thought the bigger danger was dying to a SK blink ult. My hope there was to flick the switch on Satanic, W on SK (or another squishy target) and go ham and hope to lifesteal through the ult. Never got the chance to test but I thought it was sound.

Yeah, if you can't farm a battlefury fast on pretty much any hero you shouldn't build it. The exception is Ember Spirit where BF is considered core. While BF does give some interesting cleave synergy with PA crits, I would argue the far more reliable build for pub game PA is a BKB as fast as humanly possible and then a basher, you can pretty much build whatever you want from there, because you're extremely hard to kill at that point while putting out shitloads of damage. I find satanic to be kind of worthless on her unless the other team is smart enough to prioritize MKB. Most aren't. I'd also argue that BKB is a far safer protection over SK blink ults then a satanic will ever be.

Christ..I could go on such a rant about cores not prioritizing MKB against PA's..she has a fucking 50% evasion passive people! She's a reverse huskar who can still can do the old ghost scepter trick, except with magic damage and a bkb.

Dark_Side on
This discussion has been closed.