As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DOTA 2] 6.85

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I can never get any real agreement from a group on whether Venomancer should be supporting or carrying.

depends on the patch,the current meta, and what your up against.

Veno is one of those heroes that can/has been run in every role.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Veno isn't really a support, is he? I thought he was a core, because you have to get Blink and Veil/Aghs on him. And long teamfights aren't really necessary because a Veno who blinks into the enemy team and hits r+q is going to pretty much garuntee the entire enemy team dies if the rest of your team does anything to help, so that balances out him being a sacrifice

suicide bomb veno is definitely a thing

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    I usually play him with the intent to support as a 4, always end up 2nd-3rd in farm and kills on my team.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Any tips on QoP? I've been trying her out today - 3 games, 3 wins, and I did real good in all of them, but she feels very fiddly, my initiations don't feel too fluid, especially when you throw Orchid into the mix, lots of buttons... I tend to Blink, Orchid, Scream, Sonic Wave as many chumps as I can, then Shadow Strike a fool, then blink the fuck away to a safe distance, is that right? Itemisation also felt kinda weird, I'm told BKB is core but with the match-ups I was facing that felt kind of off, and she actually has pretty decent right click. I've also read that Linken's is solid so I tried that out after Orchid but the farm for it felt janky, I felt like another offensive item in between would be a better idea before she starts to fall off.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Veil can be handy on QoP if you're alright even more buttons.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Scythe of vyse is nice on her too

i see shiva on her a lot also

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Any tips on QoP? I've been trying her out today - 3 games, 3 wins, and I did real good in all of them, but she feels very fiddly, my initiations don't feel too fluid, especially when you throw Orchid into the mix, lots of buttons... I tend to Blink, Orchid, Scream, Sonic Wave as many chumps as I can, then Shadow Strike a fool, then blink the fuck away to a safe distance, is that right? Itemisation also felt kinda weird, I'm told BKB is core but with the match-ups I was facing that felt kind of off, and she actually has pretty decent right click. I've also read that Linken's is solid so I tried that out after Orchid but the farm for it felt janky, I felt like another offensive item in between would be a better idea before she starts to fall off.

Never played her myself, but playing against her, I can see why you would need a bkb. Stuns/Silences is pretty much the only way to consistently kill her.

If the enemy team does not have a lot stuns, I can see skipping it.

Aghs is also something I see almost always built on her.

Kinda related, I'm having the same issue on Windranger, but with a lot less buttons. Position->Shackleshot->Orchid->Focus Fire is pretty much on my upper limit of button mashing, and I suffer tunnel vision when attempting it.

And orchid, while a very nice item, is expensive and I'm considering dropping it.

edit: for that combo I'm using it exlusively for the extra damage, and get an extra second or two silence once the stun ends.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »

Queen of Pain is the type of hero that has to play heavily toward her match-ups and even her team. That includes both skill and item builds. More than most heroes, the player has a lot of paths to take, each is distinct from the other, and which is ideal completely depends on how it performs against the other team's heroes.

Black King Bar, for example, is only core when she actually needs it, which isn't all the time. Before the last time she fell out of favour, it was quite common to think that any game in which Queen of Pain needed to rush a BKB was a game where she didn't belong in the first place. Without a good, snowballing start, such an item is a big sink for possibly little gain. And compare that to Linken's, which is a more expensive item, but which offers her a lot more utility. Which to get? That is conditional on how many hard disables are getting thrown at you. There are plenty of games in which a BKB is superfluous, where a Linken's to negate the initial stun and give the QoP time to blink away is more than enough. But there are also games where a Linken's will be utterly worthless and guarantee a loss when half a dozen single-target spells get tossed at the QoP as soon as she leaves the fog.

At the same time, Queen of Pain is versatile enough that several choices are always neck and neck in viability, and much of it comes down to personal choice.

What she needs, especially as a mid, comes down to a decent mana pool, enough EHP to not be food, and whatever other items will allow her to do her job. Her job may not necessarily be Orchid-assisted single-target pick-offs, and it's possible she could do that job just as well with an Agh's rush or maybe even a Necro book. You could even shoot for the stars and get a sheep stick.

She has the means to flash farm, and that's what you should be doing whenever you're not fighting. She can split push rather well against most teams, so do that as well. Get your early bottle, boots, nulls, TP scroll, then start making decisions. If you can get that <15 minute Orchid, then you probably should. If you're up against a hero that's going to get away regardless, then you probably shouldn't bother. If they're going to get the Manta first, then you're likely losing. It's difficult, because you have to commit to that first item, whether it's an Orchid, a BKB, an Agh's, or even a Linken's. But Queen of Pain snowballs well, so if you get lucky with a few fights and ganks early you have the luxury of time and space to make that choice. She can take fights just fine with only her first few basic items.

Which is really the point. As much as anything else, and probably more, she has to be played to her strengths, tactically and mechanically, before worrying about the items. When to be first in, when to be first out, that sort of thing. There's a reason only 2 heroes in the game have a natural blink skill, and why they have to be balanced so carefully. It's up there in the top 5 of all non-ultimates, and is her greatest strength at all times. If you're strong enough, then by all means take the hit and blink out of a fight. Any damage they throw at you becomes wasted if your team can follow it up. If you're not, then wait at the edges for the chance to strike. Low cooldown spells and a ranged attack added to the blink means that QoP never has to be the focus. She's there, and then she's not there. She throws out the nukes, then gets to safety, waiting for the chance to strike again. Do not moralize. Your team is there to take the hits so you don't have to. Be safe and make sure to strike where it will be most effective. You have to get the feel for when you can and should enter the fight, and when you're overwhelmingly strong enough to beat someone into submission before they can hit back.

Without the blink, Queen of Pain is vulnerable. Do not throw it around casually. If your opponents aren't on the map, if you have an chance of being in danger, then walk. Better to stroll into an ambush and blink away then attempt it the other way around. Don't blink into the fog, either.

Her new blink does allow her to be uncommonly aggressive, though, which is great. Once worn down a bit, opponents who aren't careful are easy pickings, even at ranges where they think they are safe.

Most important for her is getting a good mid-game. With that secured, or not, the item choices become more luxurious. She can use any number of high-end gear, and even holds many straight DPS items well enough, with crits being the weakest first choice there. But what you pick up at that point depends just as much on how the game is going as anything else.

Don't be against experimenting. Try different builds out to see how comfortable you are with them. If you're the completely hands-off type you can even go for something simple like a Linken's and Agh's rush. No complicated extra buttons, but she'll be able to fight anyone, anywhere (within reason), and will excel in larger skirmishes. If you're not feeling up to rushing either big item, then a point booster and perseverance are good slot fillers and allow for a few choices. But that won't work as well if your team depends on you for ganks and you're up against heroes that can run away from your damage or knock you out of the fight easily.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Try to get a feel for QoP's ult radius, it's pretty ridiculous.

http://imgur.com/a/EYj08

When going for solo kills, especially in lane, don't be afraid to initiate with your ultimate. I had this terrible habit of blinking onto my opponent, using scream, THEN trying to finish with Sonic Wave ( your ultimate ). Not only did this get me stunned a lot, it also meant I was trying to hit the enemy with the tiniest portion of the spell radius.

If your enemy looks low and you think you can kill them with your combo, initiate with the ult, THEN blink in and try to finish with scream + auto attacks. Being further away makes the ult easier to land.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    That was way more advice than expected. Thanks a lot everyone!

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    What about euls for QOP? It's a great option for avoiding silences, enemies TPing away and it gives you enough mana regen.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    QoP is such an awesome right clicker that if I really need a purge, I get a Manta Style. But I usually open with orchid, not Aghs. I could Euls being pretty solid if you picked it up after Aghs.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Had a pretty close game on QoP today. We didn't win, but I finally felt the glory of watching the enemy team go past, pick a fight by our 2nd tier mid tower, and then blinking in and blowing a bunch of people right the fuck up.

I can't even imagine the sense of 'hey, this is going alright, 5 on 4 fuck yeaOH FUCK WHERE DID ALL OUR HEALTH GO!?'

Sadly, having one person drop during picking heroes, and be MIA for the first like 3-4 minutes of the game, kind of put us on the back foot.

That said, soloing a (non-mid) lane against a duo was funny. My CS sucked, but I was still getting level 6 around the time the opposition were getting to 3-4.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Been playing a bit of tusk lately. Soon much fun. Though when did they change his ult from a toggle to unit target? It threw me off at first since I kept messing it up.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    What's everyone opinion on Octo core on bristle?

Went treads/solar crest/octo with a bkb and vlads thrown in there.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    If you want to go a damage focused Bristle as opposed to a bruiser Bristle I suggest Treads > Octo > Deso.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Sometimes you get those shaker games where everything just falls right. Counter picked a PL with shaker last night, figuring he'll at least have to think twice of bunching up with all his illusions, but this guy just wasn't very smart, I caught him multiple times pushing a tower dead smack in the middle of the group. Easiest game of my life.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    I'm jealous.

Phantom Lancer is really annoying right now. Watching him get owned is what I live for.

• Options
    Sceptre wrote: »
    I'm jealous.

Phantom Lancer is really annoying. Watching him get owned is what I live for.

fixed that for you

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Start queueing, ready up, "Game is Safe to Leave" is all I get. So I leave, because, y'know, I'm not going to play whatever the hell is going on with this one.

Credits me with an abandon. :(

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Been playing a bit of tusk lately. Soon much fun. Though when did they change his ult from a toggle to unit target? It threw me off at first since I kept messing it up.

I LOOOOOOVE Tusk. Everything about his design is just fun.
    Sceptre wrote: »
    I'm jealous.

Phantom Lancer is really annoying. Watching him get owned is what I live for.

fixed that for you

Phantom Lancer is like Broodmother: if you don't plan your counterpicks pre-game you're probably gonna have a bad time. Which is a problem in pub land.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Disco11 wrote: »

It's a solid item on him but probably not rushworthy. Item choice on Bristle really depends on where you are in terms of survivability, and it's frequently best to err on the side of "I am unkillable" before adding damage.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

It's a solid item on him but probably not rushworthy. Item choice on Bristle really depends on where you are in terms of survivability, and it's frequently best to err on the side of "I am unkillable" before adding damage.

That's what Octo does, though. It's a survivability item for him. He can quill spray more often, and the quills have lifesteal. You can run away from people and heal up while damaging them, then turn around and kill them. It also gives you 450 HP.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    The rare times I get a least played game to pop it's like a free win. 17-4 as a solo support disruptor with a kunka and medusa insisting on laning together.

Glimpse is becoming my favorite spell in the game.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    The rare times I get a least played game to pop it's like a free win. 17-4 as a solo support disruptor with a kunka and medusa insisting on laning together.

Yeah. I had some tragic games in Least Played. Least played doesn't make the decision to dive the t3 1v5 as enigma any more excusable. That would be dumb on any hero.

I'm doing only AP for now because of the challenges, but once that's over I'll probably go back to RD/SD.

That's what Octo does, though. It's a survivability item for him. He can quill spray more often, and the quills have lifesteal. You can run away from people and heal up while damaging them, then turn around and kill them. It also gives you 450 HP.

I think if you can rush octo on BB, you're far enough ahead that it didn't much matter what you got.

VishNub on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Octarine core gives you enough survivability to stay on pace with the enemy's damage output increasing, while also massively increasing your sustained damage. This is great if you are already durable or against a team that can't kill you quickly, but spending 6k on Oct will not mate you more durable against teams that are already able to kill you, and the buildup is pretty terrible.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

Yeah. I had some tragic games in Least Played. Least played doesn't make the decision to dive the t3 1v5 as enigma any more excusable. That would be dumb on any hero.

I'm doing only AP for now because of the challenges, but once that's over I'll probably go back to RD/SD.

They added challenges to all modes a while back, like 2 weeks after it was only AP.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So guys, I'm on the last 5 hero challenge heroes I'll need for this year. I have Lone Druid (No way in hell),and Tiny (Again, now way). Now I have Bristleback which should be fairly easy. The two I'm not sure about are Enchantress and Mag. I did Enchantress once on the first try, but I had a good team of pubs. The last two tries this weekend ended horribly, so is it worht it trying at all? Lastly, how viable is running Mag these days. He's fallen out of favor, but maybe not actually "bad".

Opinions? I hope I don't get stuck with something Techies or Meepo on the reroll, otherwise I'll have to come ask for 4 brave souls to help me struggle through 1 game.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Just have @Yilias coach you through a Lone Druid game and you'll win ezpz.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Tiny's super easy, just make a private lobby and figure out the timing for the 2x avalanche/toss dmg combo then make arcanes/blink in a game. Don't stop snowballing!

• Options
    edited July 2015
    You know I don't think I like Naga Siren. It's not even her boring Radiance build, though yes that's annoying. It's that her ulti is basically an undo button on a teamfight. Until you pop her ulti you can never really drive home an advantage. Radiance or not, It just seems her whole design is based around delaying the decisive end of the game regardless of what anyone else is actually doing.

But I dunno. It might be because I just won an 80 minute game of split push I didn't want to play after about the 50 minute mark. I might just be a sore winner. :)

Just FYI though, I learned that Timbersaw is not only fun but he also becomes a great split pusher with the right items. Even against Naga and PL, I was pushing down lanes and then running away like a madman.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Naga is basically the No Fun Allowed hero, yes.

• Options
    Musicool wrote: »
    You know I don't think I like Naga Siren. It's not even her boring Radiance build, though yes that's annoying. It's that her ulti is basically an undo button on a teamfight. Until you pop her ulti you can never really drive home an advantage. Radiance or not, It just seems her whole design is based around delaying the decisive end of the game regardless of what anyone else is actually doing.

But I dunno. It might be because I just won an 80 minute game of split push I didn't want to play after about the 50 minute mark. I might just be a sore winner. :)

Just FYI though, I learned that Timbersaw is not only fun but he also becomes a great split pusher with the right items. Even against Naga and PL, I was pushing down lanes and then running away like a madman.

The only proper way to play timber is to go full #YOLO . Super underrated but he get's murdered by diffusional carriers.

• Options
    edited July 2015

The only proper way to play timber is to go full #YOLO . Super underrated but he get's murdered by diffusional carriers.

I'm having a lot of fun in the last week going back to the YOLO heroes that I really loved at the very beginning of my time with DOTA. But now I actually have the technical skill to not completely suck with them: Clockwerk, Tusk, Timbersaw. If a hero has a skill that throws them right into the teamfight then I'm probably a big fan.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Naga is basically the No Fun Allowed hero, yes.

Octarine naga is even less fun allowed!

• Options
    The only way to play Naga is Aghs+Refresher core healer Naga. Hold on, imma just pause this teamfight for 14 seconds and heal my entire team back to full.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    The only way to play Naga is Aghs+Refresher core healer Naga. Hold on, imma just pause this teamfight for 14 seconds and heal my entire team back to full.

I'm torn between impressed and enraged.

I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options

I'm having a lot of fun in the last week going back to the YOLO heroes that I really loved at the very beginning of my time with DOTA. But now I actually have the technical skill to not completely suck with them: Clockwerk, Tusk, Timbersaw. If a hero has a skill that throws them right into the teamfight then I'm probably a big fan.

You forgot my man bloodseaker. Rushing past series of towers to get that one dude running back to fountain.

Ulting a SB never get's old either!

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I hate playing against Naga, I feel like no other hero in the game puts you on as hard of a time table to win than she does. You either finish before she gets kitted out, or you slog through 30 odd minutes of income attrition before her team finally puts you out of your misery. And she's the only wombo combo hero who you can't negate with a timely bkb purchase.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Doesn't Spectre have a similar inevitability? Maybe not so strong on the splitpush but a kitted out spectre seems like end times from what I've seen and you can't rat them out because you just get jumped on by her ult

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.