As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Telltale] Tales from the Borderlands - Ep.3 "Catch a Ride" out now!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    "Celebrate your happy holiday by getting super depressed for making awful decisions in an awful place!"

Bold move, Telltale. I'm in.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Is the game still coming to Xbox 360? If not, do we know if there's a way to transfer over all the decisions you've made along the way?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, it'll be out on 360 too. I'm curious if they actually thought of a way to send saves from one console to another. I'm sure a lot of XBO owners don't want to hook up their 360s just to play Season 3 with their decisions.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Trailer?

The only trailer I've seen is this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgXqmVMFTWY

One of things to note
    Clem is missing a finger!

• Options
    Yeah, I remember watching that reveal before. I'm excited to see if they learned from the success of Borderlands and the criticism of TWD Season 2/GoT.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Or as I like to call it, every day since two weeks ago Tuesday.

The difference is that Clementine is a leader we can believe in.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    That was a weak episode. Like there are interesting things going on with it, but it's short. Like it's "We need 5 episodes" short rather than just putting it onto the last episode.
    And there's a huge plot hole since Bruce took the chess piece to his office elevator yet they've found it, broken it open and managed to access the secret bunker, but Lucius never mentioned it and Cobblepot (and I might be wrong here) didn't seem to link Wayne and Batman despite all that? Lucius can at least be explained by being in on it potentially, but Cobblepot hates Bruce yet I don't think he ever related him and Batman during their fight.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    That was a weak episode. Like there are interesting things going on with it, but it's short. Like it's "We need 5 episodes" short rather than just putting it onto the last episode.
    And there's a huge plot hole since Bruce took the chess piece to his office elevator yet they've found it, broken it open and managed to access the secret bunker, but Lucius never mentioned it and Cobblepot (and I might be wrong here) didn't seem to link Wayne and Batman despite all that? Lucius can at least be explained by being in on it potentially, but Cobblepot hates Bruce yet I don't think he ever related him and Batman during their fight.
    I think he figured out that Wayne Tech was funding the Batman operation, but not that Bruce is Batman. And honestly, I think if there was a high tech Batman running around our world, most people who point at the big Tech companies, like Microsoft, GE, or Google as the likely sponsors to him. It's one of the reasons I've always been a Marvel guy, when a high tech hero pops up on the scene, there is a tech company, or government/military organization, or country that claims them. And even with small tech gadget heroes/villains have people like Tinkerer or Melvin Potter.

But this episode did feel short, and how Harvey hasn't had the governor or the President or the military not taking over the city and him placed in prison for all the things he's done is really hard to hand wave away.
    A ton of police officers knew that blowing up the place was Harvey's call. Also, what moron listens to the Mayor on how much explosives to use?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-01-the-walking-deads-third-season-will-let-you-import-saves

Sounds like they're doing what Inquisition did, which is both smart and necessary.

• Options
  • Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eJ2lO6-9ow

Telltale's Guardian of the Galaxy

After TWD S2 and Batman, I'm gonna wait and see on this one.

I've heard it's being lead by the same people who took the lead on Borderlands, so that's a promising sign imo.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eJ2lO6-9ow

Telltale's Guardian of the Galaxy

After TWD S2 and Batman, I'm gonna wait and see on this one.

I've heard it's being lead by the same people who took the lead on Borderlands, so that's a promising sign imo.

Yeah, they did pretty well with the sense of humor and the setting.

Kind of wish it were Borderlands Season 2, though.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Batman just put out an 8 gig patch without saying what it is for. I'm still downloading it, but other people are saying that it seems to have finally optimized the engine and are getting much better frame rates.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Currently playing through TWD Season 1 right now. Is there any way to change the keyboard prompts? Q is the worst button in the world to have to mash... If I could make it the mouse click it'd be so much better.

Unless it was a design decision.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    When did the first episode of Batman release? I feel like this is the quickest they've ever gotten all 5 episodes of a series out. Soon as I get my Xbox back, I'll be able to dig into it. I just wish they could get a whole series out this fast every time! Borderlands was a crazy long wait...

Also, Episode 1 of TWD season 3 is apparently a 2 parter. I think I read somewhere that parts 1 and 2 are separate downloads, but I dunno if they are separately priced.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    So I thought episode 5 was amazing.

They really made
    Vicki Vale/Lady Arkham into a compelling villain. The second I went into that sub basement I was expecting to be trapped in there but no, it's just a horror show that she was subjected to as a child, she didn't kill her foster parents because she's nuts, she killed them because they're fucking monsters. The fight scene was good but having to look out for the right buttons is irritating when you're missing the show. She had a general villain death so she can come back too. Their engine fucks the final, final ending a bit because the cut from the Joker is so abrupt, but it's a good setup for the next series.

Maybe a bit peeved they never explain where the hell Lady Arkham gets all those amazing toys.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Crap, walking dead out today and I don't think I have my old savegames anymore :/

• Options
    Oooooo! Awesome, thanks for the reminder. Definitely picking up season 3.

• Options
    Found my saved games, I probably don't remember anything specific about them though. Kenny vs what's her face is about the only thing I can recall.

• Options
    Damn. That music still hits me.

• Options
    Well the game launched with 2 episodes available - I clocked in slightly over 2 hours to complete both, which is kind of disappointing. Hoping the others are a bit longer.

And I really really want another episode of A Wolf Among Us

• Options
    Yeah I'm in the same boat. The engine is waaaaaaaaaaay better now, and things look a lot smoother as far as animations go. There's still some shadow bugs and outline glitches every now and then, but the graphics look great. Story so far is good, but it's leaning more S2 than S1. Plus since we've already played a bunch of Telltale Games by now, you can already guess the formula before it happens. There's also been a few choices that are questionable at best. Some answers just don't translate to what you're expecting Javi to say.

Still, decent twists, good development and cameos, and it's great to hear Clem again. It's like an 7.5 to 8 for me so far. Not Borderlands or Wolf material, but no where near that Thrones trash.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    The way they followed up on
    Season 2's multiple endings
    really left a sour taste in my mouth.

Edit: Oh well, I guess I can take solace in the fact that
    Kenny is still alive in one ending

Ov3rcharge on
  • Options
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »

Agreed.

Jane from S2:
    Jane killing herself was a big "WTF WHY" until the pregnancy test was shown. Which makes sense, I guess? Maybe she saw that Alvin's wife having the baby killed her, and also the idea of bringing another child (without Luke) into this shitty world would be a huge weight to hold. Then again, it's fucking Jane. She was the strongest of any of the group from last season. I get why they did it that way, but it doesn't make it any less shitty. I really liked Jane and wanted her to be in the story still somehow, but it's Telltale, and they have a set story to tell while throwing in some meaningless choices here and there to give a false sense of control.

How do the other endings get tied up?

• Options
    Looking at those spoilers makes me not want to play season 3.
    Kenny might be alive but Jane definitely dies? Fuck the world.

• Options
    Hah, really!? I'm totally buying this now.

S2 spoilers
    Screw Jane, she was awful. Goes to confirm my "Jane is the bad ending" theory.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »

Agreed.

Jane from S2:
    Jane killing herself was a big "WTF WHY" until the pregnancy test was shown. Which makes sense, I guess? Maybe she saw that Alvin's wife having the baby killed her, and also the idea of bringing another child (without Luke) into this shitty world would be a huge weight to hold. Then again, it's fucking Jane. She was the strongest of any of the group from last season. I get why they did it that way, but it doesn't make it any less shitty. I really liked Jane and wanted her to be in the story still somehow, but it's Telltale, and they have a set story to tell while throwing in some meaningless choices here and there to give a false sense of control.

How do the other endings get tied up?
    I'm thinking that the test was just icing on the big ole depression cake for her, the straw that broke the camel's back as it were. She can't have felt good about forcing Clem to kill Kenny, putting the baby at risk to do so, etc. Then Clem (mine anyway) took the family in and they immediately lose half of their food and supplies. Luke being dead, etc.

As for the other endings, I dunno. I haven't tried another saved game or used the 'build a save feature'. I guess it might depend on what happens to someone else from Season 2.

Bigity on
  • Options

S2 spoilers

Gross.
    Jane was right and Kenny was a monster.

• Options
    edited December 2016

S2 spoilers

Gross.
    Pick your monster.
    Jane is a manipulative, self-centered monster willing to put you and a defenseless child at risk of death in order to prove her point that Kenny isn't great. She has no regard for anyone but herself and only cares because what you think feeds (or damages) her ego. She is unreliable and untrusting, abandoning family and friends without a second thought. The only reason there is a violent confrontation at the end of the game is because she manipulates Kenny by pretending to have killed a child, and you by making you choose between her and Kenny. Furthermore, S3 confirms these criticisms: when faced with a difficult decision, she flees in the only way left to her.

Kenny is dangerous and has anger issues, but he's your monster. He's loyal to you and the baby, and actively sacrifices himself to make sure you two have a better life. There are worse people to temporarily have in your life during a dangerous, violent crisis.

Jane will abandon you.
    Kenny will kill for you.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Watching the flashbacks on YouTube.

Kenny:
    Kenny's teaching Clem to drive on the way to Florida and Clem loses control and crashes into a tree, paralyzing Kenny. The crash alerts walkers and Kenny sacrifices himself so that Clem and AJ can get away, fade to black. Super lame for a character that's been around for two seasons. At least the Jane ending is satisfying enough with story reasons and emotional character development, the Kenny ending just feels cheap to clear up a loose end.

Alone:
    Clem and AJ are hunting for food by themselves, AJ starts making too much noise and scares the game away so Clem hides him in a car. AJ starts screaming inside the car while Clem continues to hunt rabbits for food. Walkers are attracted to the car and Clem shoots a couple to clear up enough space to get AJ, but another walker slams the open door closed on Clem and traps her hand inside. Clem kills the walker with a rock she finds near the car and pulls her hand out to reveal broken fingers. AJ is fine, but Clem's hand is broken now so... fade to black? This ending has the least emotional weight and in general seems really bad. Sort of like, each other choice had a flashback so this choice should have one too so they can still play a Clem segment. Does her having broken fingers effect the story at all? I really doubt it.

Honestly, out of all these I like Jane's the most. At least hers is emotional, Kenny's is cheap, and the Alone flashback could have easily not existed.

edit -
    Apparently there's a fourth one I forgot and found.

Stay at Wellington:
    Clem wakes up on the couch of the supply room and finds AJ drawing on the floor, while playing with AJ one of the Wellington members comes inside to warn Clem that a group has shown up armed to overtake Wellington. Clem packs some supplies up and all three of them escape out a back door of Wellington. While running towards the woods the girl who was helping Clem and AJ gets shot in the head, and Clem almost takes a bullet in the cheek causing another variant scar of Clem being hurt. Clem and AJ escape into the woods, fade to black. Again, not as emotionally satisfying a flashback as the Jane one, but better than the Kenny or Alone options.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    The Wellington ending is the one that fits best, I feel. It was my own.
    Raiders, presumably the New Frontier guys, show up and ransack the place. Clem flees with Edith, but Edith gets shot in the head while escaping. Short and simple.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular

S2 spoilers

I just... fuck, I hate everything about this post, and I already regret writing this reply for the risk that it'll make you double down.

I'll ditto Dracomicron, I was already deeply sceptical of a new season of TWD, and hearing how the choices at the end of 2 shake out makes me even less likely to buy this.

• Options
    Vic wrote: »

S2 spoilers
    I just... fuck, I hate everything about this post, and I already regret writing this reply for the risk that it'll make you double down.
    How about we have a civil discussion about it instead?

• Options
    edited December 2016
    There's little point, at this stage. The sides are deeply entrenched, no one is likely to budge at this stage.
    I just find it rather upsetting that you take such glee in the suicide of a woman (that you already chose to let die in your game, no less). That, or a glee that people are upset about this. I felt the ending of the last season keenly, I am still deeply invested, so I have a hard time to distance myself emotionally from this discussion.

Vic on
  • Options
    There's little point, at this stage. The sides are deeply entrenched, no one is likely to budge at this stage.
    I just find it rather upsetting that you take such glee in the suicide of a woman (that you already chose to let die in your game, no less). That, or a glee that people are upset about this. I felt the ending of the last season keenly, I am still deeply invested, so I have a hard time to distance myself emotionally from this discussion.
    Actually...
    I picked Jane. I killed Kenny because I had no other way of stopping him.

When I found out that she had orchestrated the whole thing, I felt an immense feeling of personal betrayal. I killed Kenny because I thought I was defending Jane; instead, she had manipulated me into killing him. I felt like a tool in a premeditated murder.

The use of "I" here is very deliberate; I wasn't necessarily feeling that through Clem, I was feeling that as the person playing the game. Jane manipulated me into killing a character for whom I was strongly sympathetic.

Then I was faced with an awful choice on top of that: try and raise an infant alone, or stay with the person that used me as a tool in a murder and hope she didn't abandon me like she had so many others in the past. And I felt like the cut scene after that was deeply, deeply troubling: Jane, reacting with suspicion to new people, and trying to teach Clem that Jane was the only person she could trust.

I left my play through of Season 2 feeling betrayed and with the sinking feeling that I made a horrible, horrible mistake.

Later I watched the other endings. Going alone seems like suicide. But the Kenny ending?

The Kenny ending is unreal in how stark the difference in tone is. It is hopeful; Clem and the baby finally seem like they might be safe for a while. How amazing is that! And I felt cheated out of that ending by how I was manipulated by Jane. Which, in essence, is a statement from the developers: if you reward Kenny for his loyalty, Clem and the baby get a chance at safety. If you go with Jane, there is only uncertainty and fear.[/quote]

In retrospect, I can see how you would feel that my reaction was gross. It was certainly over the top, and could have been phrased differently and with more tact. But I hope my explanation of how I felt at the end of Season 2 helps to inform why I had that sort of reaction.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016

S2 spoilers

Gross.

You can say that but you can't deny in
    Flashback spoilers:
    Kenny's final act was selfless but Jane's was selfish.

Edit: I feel like I need to clarify.
    I don't like how either character was offed. Even as someone who is pro Kenny I know I would feel deeply betrayed if I had picked Jane. I may go further into this later, but Telltale took two characters; ones we were supposed to be deeply invested in and killer them off. Not because it was a natural ending for their respective character arcs, but because their existence was inconvenient for the writers. That's not only bad writing, but that's incredibly disrespectful to the characters, the people who created them, and to the fans that Telltale asked to invest in these characters. I like the Season 3 otherwise, but I can't help but feel upset at Telltale's laziness.

Ov3rcharge on
  • Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    So, are they ever doing a second Borderlands or Wolf Among Us?

Would we know it if they were?

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Actually...
    I picked Jane. I killed Kenny because I had no other way of stopping him.

When I found out that she had orchestrated the whole thing, I felt an immense feeling of personal betrayal. I killed Kenny because I thought I was defending Jane; instead, she had manipulated me into killing him. I felt like a tool in a premeditated murder.

The use of "I" here is very deliberate; I wasn't necessarily feeling that through Clem, I was feeling that as the person playing the game. Jane manipulated me into killing a character for whom I was strongly sympathetic.

Then I was faced with an awful choice on top of that: try and raise an infant alone, or stay with the person that used me as a tool in a murder and hope she didn't abandon me like she had so many others in the past. And I felt like the cut scene after that was deeply, deeply troubling: Jane, reacting with suspicion to new people, and trying to teach Clem that Jane was the only person she could trust.

I left my play through of Season 2 feeling betrayed and with the sinking feeling that I made a horrible, horrible mistake.

Later I watched the other endings. Going alone seems like suicide. But the Kenny ending?

The Kenny ending is unreal in how stark the difference in tone is. It is hopeful; Clem and the baby finally seem like they might be safe for a while. How amazing is that! And I felt cheated out of that ending by how I was manipulated by Jane. Which, in essence, is a statement from the developers: if you reward Kenny for his loyalty, Clem and the baby get a chance at safety. If you go with Jane, there is only uncertainty and fear.

In retrospect, I can see how you would feel that my reaction was gross. It was certainly over the top, and could have been phrased differently and with more tact. But I hope my explanation of how I felt at the end of Season 2 helps to inform why I had that sort of reaction.
    That last part is the core of the issue for me. I absolutely understand feeling betrayed, I was personally pissed to the point of very nearly abandoning Jane despite the huge risk of going alone, but the way people demonize her and defend Kenny often seems to get over the top.

And though I didn't at the time, I've come to believe Jane's decision was driven by loyalty just as much as Kenny's was. She could have just left, she could even have taken the baby with her as she went. The one thing she couldn't take was Clem. She needed to convince her to leave Kenny, and could only see one way to do it.

If we judge the choices by their ultimate consequences it absolutely seems like Kenny was "right", but that's only because he rolled double sixes on a gamble that could just as well have led to the death of everyone involved. Jane's choice was also a gamble, but she only gambled her own life. Kenny might just have beaten her bloody, and that could have been enough to sway clem to abandon him. If he had killed her, which she must have known was a possibility, that might have been enough to make Clem go alone. We can only speculate whether the scenario where Kenny dies was the one she hoped most for, but it probably was.

My strongest memories of Kenny are him standing over people, beating them to death, and enjoying it. It happened to the fuckhead at the warehouse, and it was justified there. Then it happened again with Arwo, a kid who had "betrayed" us after seeing us kill everyone he knew and loved, but that time there were other people ready to stop him. When it happens with Jane you are the only one who can, and as much as I fucking hated to do it I can't imagine making any other choice.

I hate that those are the strongest memories I have of Kenny, because he didn't deserve what happened to him to lead him down that path, but that's the Kenny that season 2 gave me. Which I guess is the other part that makes this issue toxic to me.

The ending to Season 2 was very affecting to me, and it was in some ways the strongest part of season 2. I wasn't happy about the choice I made, but it was mine, and to learn that the writers of season 3 once again disrespects even the tiny scraps of agency they give the player by killing Jane off feels like yet another punch to the gut. Season 1 at least pretended to care about the players choices. Season 2 gave up that pretense early on, and showed nothing but raw sadism to both the characters in the story and the player. It broke the trust I had in Telltale, and though I might play the new season, it will only be after hearing some very glowing things about it from people I trust.

Vic on