As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mechwarrior Online] The FWL doesn't pay enough to stay here (THREAD OVER!)

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Picked up a 9S since they are on sale. Managed to basic and elite it out in 1 night. The range plus heat efficiency of the ER PPCS is really strong for longer fights but feels weak when something gets in its face.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    been trying to basic the Mpla cicada; it's pretty nice! Not looking forward to the elite grind though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    TDR-9SE

The 9SE is kinda lackluster compared to the 5SS and 9S. :(

This one is a little more brawlie... But its so squishy.
    TDR-9SE

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    TDR-9SE

TDR-9SE

TDR-9SE

SRMs rock on the thunderbolt, I wont run a build without them now if I can help it.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I'd just like to thank all the guys that played with me last night! Oosik groups continue to offer the highest quality cameraderie available, whether stomping or getting stomped.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »
    I'd just like to thank all the guys that played with me last night! Oosik groups continue to offer the highest quality cameraderie available, whether stomping or getting stomped.

Sorry for bailing on you last night, just was overwhelmed with a bad case of the feel bads.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Sorry for bailing on you last night, just was overwhelmed with a bad case of the feel bads.

maybe this will cheer you up!

STK-5M LRM85

STK-5M LRM75

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015

'Tis fine. We hit a kind of brutal run of GET REKT in there, and after my last few outings online, I'll never begrudge anyone that feels they need to jump ship for whatever reason.

By god, we need to get you a mic, though. Not having instant voice access to your brainstem is maddening sometimes. That "Three Hour Tour" we took on Viridian Bog last night is just one fine example.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    scumbag MWO

puts me on teams with nothing but LRMs, switch to a NARC Jenner. Then it puts me on teams with a bunch of noobs... with no LRMs.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    scumbag MWO

puts me on teams with nothing but LRMs, switch to a NARC Jenner. Then it puts me on teams with a bunch of noobs... with no LRMs.

We know this to be true: the Matchmaker is a dick.

• Options
    scumbag MWO

We know this to be true: the Matchmaker is a dick.

but when it does work, its glorious!

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I have an older headset I'd be willing to mail out. It's the one I got before my astro. It's not the best in the world, but it's serviceable and right now it's just taking up space in my closet. It's usb and I don't think the inline buttons except for mic mute work anymore. I just ask that if you do want it, when you're done with it to either pass it along or some other way that it doesn't end up in a landfill. Those things gotta be recyclable somehow.

• Options
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    I have an older headset I'd be willing to mail out. It's the one I got before my astro. It's not the best in the world, but it's serviceable and right now it's just taking up space in my closet. It's usb and I don't think the inline buttons except for mic mute work anymore. I just ask that if you do want it, when you're done with it to either pass it along or some other way that it doesn't end up in a landfill. Those things gotta be recyclable somehow.

The National Center for Electonics Recycling can help with that. A surprising number of stores in any given locality support Ecycling as well, many searchable through the NCER website.

• Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular

TDR-9SE

TDR-9SE

TDR-9SE

SRMs rock on the thunderbolt, I wont run a build without them now if I can help it.

I don't know where you guys are getting those builds. This is what I use: TDR-9SE

Its a 5SS with twice the range and JUMPJETS. The XL doesn't let you brawl the same way, but you can hit out to 800m so I hang back a bit and do fire support. Things under your crosshairs just fall apart. I have two fire groups: right and left side. Don't use them both inside 0.5s, pile on some coolshot, and it runs really cool. I use the jumpjets for a little extra height if I need to aim over a hill, and rarely have difficulty getting a good shot even without the high hardpoints of the 9S or 5SS.

Disclaimer: I've got the Thunderbolts mastered, so maybe you'd want some extra heatsinks. Drop the engine to a XL275 if you need.

• Options
    hairystevehairysteve Registered User regular
    Anyone else thing the urban mech packs are a bit of a bad deal??
    3 non hero mechs for $20??
    And the other 1 for $40??
    How much is the month (or 2) of premium time really worth??
    (Plus the modules)
    I have bought every other pack though.
    I have about 110 mechs do I really need urbies??

• Options
    hairysteve wrote: »
    Anyone else thing the urban mech packs are a bit of a bad deal??
    3 non hero mechs for $20??
    And the other 1 for $40??
    How much is the month (or 2) of premium time really worth??
    (Plus the modules)
    I have bought every other pack though.
    I have about 110 mechs do I really need urbies??

I think the Premium Time and Modules cover the majority of the cost actually. Is it worth it? If you don't want the Urbanmech, not really.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »

The National Center for Electonics Recycling can help with that. A surprising number of stores in any given locality support Ecycling as well, many searchable through the NCER website.

Groovy. Wasn't sure about the headset. Have a bunch of stuff already in the "next time" pile. So many old hard drives and broken DVD drives. But if @Buttcleft wants the headset, I'll ship it out.

• Options
    @Buttcleft is really a 79 year old grandmother with a passion for missiles and firey destruction of large stompy robots. He/she cant blow his/her cover.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    @Buttcleft is really a 79 year old grandmother with a passion for missiles and firey destruction of large stompy robots. He/she cant blow his/her cover.

you can tell I'm old cause I've resorted to calling everyone son.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I'm still not quite sure what to do with my victors. Piloting assaults in the solo queue either requires a style if play I don't like or don't understand. It seems like I either need to build a long range heavy weapon build or else a standard engine brawler, and in either case I haven't found a build I like with the victors. Even with four jump jets I don't seem to be able to clear most mech sized obstacles, and the pop tarting builds of yore haven't been particularly effective (which I'm perfectly fine with).

It seems like without quirks my Victors are a slower lower damaging Stormcrow.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options

you can tell I'm old cause I've resorted to calling everyone son.

BZeCw19.png

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    god I'd give anything to have like 6 LRM20s and 20,000 LRM ammo. just chainfire nonstop until the map was molten and every mech drowned.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    *sigh* So I know this is an annoying question, but I'm going to throw it out there.

Since I'm just starting, I have access to the trial mechs. Instead of asking which I should try using, how about this: are there any I should avoid like the plague?

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm still not quite sure what to do with my victors. Piloting assaults in the solo queue either requires a style if play I don't like or don't understand. It seems like I either need to build a long range heavy weapon build or else a standard engine brawler, and in either case I haven't found a build I like with the victors. Even with four jump jets I don't seem to be able to clear most mech sized obstacles, and the pop tarting builds of yore haven't been particularly effective (which I'm perfectly fine with).

It seems like without quirks my Victors are a slower lower damaging Stormcrow.

How does this look to you?

VTR-9S

I used to run something pretty similar to this back when I was piloting IS assaults that weren't the Crab, and it saw reasonable success. I think my loadout didn't have the streaks and went with two UAC5s instead of the standard AC5s, though. I tried toying with combining an AC5 with an LB10X, and that wasn't too bad.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    *sigh* So I know this is an annoying question, but I'm going to throw it out there.

Since I'm just starting, I have access to the trial mechs. Instead of asking which I should try using, how about this: are there any I should avoid like the plague?

Nope

Got nothing to lose but time playing Trials, try them all and find out which ones you like and what playstyle you prefer before you purchase a mech.

• Options

Nope

Got nothing to lose but time playing Trials, try them all and find out which ones you like and what playstyle you prefer before you purchase a mech.

This is mostly correct. The Trial mechs at this point have all been replaced with competent, if not completely meta-competitive, custom variants. Some (Stalker with XL engine) are of questionable build status, but none are out-and-out bad. Give a few a try, and get a feel for what you like.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

Nope

This is mostly correct. The Trial mechs at this point have all been replaced with competent, if not completely meta-competitive, custom variants. Some (Stalker with XL engine) are of questionable build status, but none are out-and-out bad. Give a few a try, and get a feel for what you like.

I'd probably avoid the Trial Atlas; Gauss takes getting used to and you don't have much firepower otherwise (unless you keep them between 180 and 270m). If he wants to get a feel for gauss, use the Dragon (although I find that build suboptimal as well). For trying out Assaults, the clan options are much better.

If you run the Nova, DO NOT fire both arms at once. You will explode.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Speaking of heat issues, I am absolutely in love with the change to the shutdown override becoming a toggle.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »

Nope

I'd probably avoid the Trial Atlas; Gauss takes getting used to and you don't have much firepower otherwise (unless you keep them between 180 and 270m). If he wants to get a feel for gauss, use the Dragon (although I find that build suboptimal as well). For trying out Assaults, the clan options are much better.

If you run the Nova, DO NOT fire both arms at once. You will explode.

Overheating death is the noblest death.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Awesome, thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    awwww yissssssssss

with a decent team, NARCs are deadly today.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Awesome, thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

http://metamechs.com/

its a decent resource

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular
    god I'd give anything to have like 6 LRM20s and 20,000 LRM ammo. just chainfire nonstop until the map was molten and every mech drowned.

An artist's rendition of Buttcleft's dream:

art-mattplog-kraken3-01.jpg
    That's the Bane/Kraken 3, a clan design with 8 Clan LRM15s and 16 tons of ammo to go with it.

• Options
    OMG OMG OMG PGI PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE UNLEASH THE KRAKEN OMG I WANT IT I NEED IT GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME

• Options
    I feel like the Standard variant of the Kraken is also worth mentioning.

4 Machine Guns
    10 Ultra Autocannon-2's

• Options

4 Machine Guns
    10 Ultra Autocannon-2's

DONT CARE WANT LRMS GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME

• Options

4 Machine Guns
    10 Ultra Autocannon-2's

As soon as I get my grubby mitts on it I'm gonna rip out those UAC2s (and machine guns...seriously, eff those things) and cram as many LB5Xs as I can onto that thing.

• Options
    SomeWarlockSomeWarlock Registered User regular

4 Machine Guns
    10 Ultra Autocannon-2's

There's also the Kraken 2 with 4 UAC/10s, if you rather have something with more punching power. And there's the 4, which is the Clan King Crab with twin UAC/20s, CERLL, and 3 ATM6s, though that comes much later.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

4 Machine Guns
    10 Ultra Autocannon-2's

As soon as I get my grubby mitts on it I'm gonna rip out those UAC2s (and machine guns...seriously, eff those things) and cram as many LB5Xs as I can onto that thing.

Mmmm, Shotgun Hailstorms.

• Options
    Doesn't MWO max out at 12 weapons?