As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mechwarrior Online] The FWL doesn't pay enough to stay here (THREAD OVER!)

1939495969799»

• Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Man, this challenge is making me reaaaaally never want to play MWO again.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I got to ten points, not feeling a ton of desire to go higher

helps that the mech reward is an adder

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    this challenge wasn't a big interest to me simply because I'm not invested in clan mechs, and have no desire to be considering I'm so heavy into IS.

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Gaslight wrote: »
    It's becoming clearer and clearer to me that the main model TDR-5S is the odd man out of the Thunderbolts these days.

All the other models got quirks that make them really really good at using one specific weapon (9SE LPL, 5SS MPL, 9S ER PPC). But instead the 5S got a smorgasbord of mediocre energy and missile quirks, with its best ones being fairly minor buffs to large and medium lasers - but it only has four energy hardpoints total with slightly awkward placement (1RA 3LT) so it's not like you can truly laservomit and besides that it only has 2 missile hardpoints and 2 ballistic that are close to worthless because they're in the left arm with a full set of actuators. It can't snipe or suppress like the 9S and 9SE at all, so it's basically a brawler by default, but nowhere near as good a brawler as the 5SS.

With a standard engine you're left with either anemic speed or anemic firepower or both... and with an XL (not the worst thing in the world with the side torso buffs but not ideal either) you basically just have to try to build around the LA ballistics (meaning probably a gauss because nothing else decent fits) and out-DPS people which is a crapshoot at best.

If it didn't have lower arm and hand actuators in the left arm so that the ballistic hardpoints had breathing room, it would make all the difference in the world. Even one more energy hardpoint in the RA would be a big improvement. As it is it's just a really frustrating 'mech. It's not horrible, it's just... indifferent and excels at nothing.

TDR-5S

TDR-5S

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
    @Nips we need a new thread! abort! abort!

kx3klFE.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I am always interested in free mechs.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Gaslight wrote: »
    It's becoming clearer and clearer to me that the main model TDR-5S is the odd man out of the Thunderbolts these days.

All the other models got quirks that make them really really good at using one specific weapon (9SE LPL, 5SS MPL, 9S ER PPC). But instead the 5S got a smorgasbord of mediocre energy and missile quirks, with its best ones being fairly minor buffs to large and medium lasers - but it only has four energy hardpoints total with slightly awkward placement (1RA 3LT) so it's not like you can truly laservomit and besides that it only has 2 missile hardpoints and 2 ballistic that are close to worthless because they're in the left arm with a full set of actuators. It can't snipe or suppress like the 9S and 9SE at all, so it's basically a brawler by default, but nowhere near as good a brawler as the 5SS.

With a standard engine you're left with either anemic speed or anemic firepower or both... and with an XL (not the worst thing in the world with the side torso buffs but not ideal either) you basically just have to try to build around the LA ballistics (meaning probably a gauss because nothing else decent fits) and out-DPS people which is a crapshoot at best.

If it didn't have lower arm and hand actuators in the left arm so that the ballistic hardpoints had breathing room, it would make all the difference in the world. Even one more energy hardpoint in the RA would be a big improvement. As it is it's just a really frustrating 'mech. It's not horrible, it's just... indifferent and excels at nothing.

TDR-5S

TDR-5S

Those are kind of interesting and I've experimented with similar things myself. But I don't know if the gauss build is getting enough speed OR firepower out of it to justify using an XL. And on the LRM build I have a fundamental problem with stripping the armor from your arms when you have two potential shield arms, plus I don't even know if twenty missiles per salvo is enough to justify having LRMs at all (I used to basically do this build with one LRM20+Artemis and it was meh).

Gaslight on
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Current 5S build and I love it.

TDR-5S

Make sure to get the LL range module. Maxed the LL range is 608m

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the problem the 5S faces is that if you want to take advantage of the ballistic arm you basically have to run an XL, and the TDR chassis isn't great for that. Or you can use an STD and try to be a laser/missile brawler, but its hardpoints are kinda limited for that.

Maybe try 3xLL 2xSRM6 or something?

NREqxl5.jpg
    edited March 2015
    Current 5S build and I love it.

TDR-5S

Make sure to get the LL range module. Maxed the LL range is 608m

Jesus Christ what is with you crazy people putting your ammo in the center torso.

But yeah I've done stuff like this too. (I truly think I've probably considered just about every possible loadout permutation on the TDR-5S. I'm not bragging when I say that, I've just spent a lot of time thinking about it. The T-Bolt was the 'mech from the original Phoenix pack that I really wanted, and I spent many hours trying to find a build that clicked before The Quirkening came along and made [some] Thunderbolts fashionable.) The nice thing about builds like that is you have two shield arms. I really feel like Artemis is practically essential on the SRM six-packs, though. And again, this is a build where the best you can hope for is pickoff kills on targets of opportunity and battles of attrition in straight up fights. For being a heavy 'mech the 5S just doesn't bring the heavy to the fight, it ends up with builds that are chipping away and trading blows with no intimidation factor or knockout punch.

Gaslight on
    edited March 2015
    the problem the 5S faces is that if you want to take advantage of the ballistic arm you basically have to run an XL, and the TDR chassis isn't great for that. Or you can use an STD and try to be a laser/missile brawler, but its hardpoints are kinda limited for that.

I think this is pretty much exactly what I said, but you were definitely more succinct about it. :lol: The ballistic arm is kind of an empty temptation in the end anyway because a gauss is truly the ONLY thing you can put in it that's any good. You can't fit an AC/20, you can't fit 2xUAC/5, AC/10 and LB-10-X are virtually pointless, any combo of 2 smaller autocannon certainly won't be effective enough for how much weight they'll take up and how much you'll have to stare down the target. But the loadout you can fit WITHOUT using the ballistic arm is so limited you turn to it out of desperation.

Maybe try 3xLL 2xSRM6 or something?

Yeah, been there done that, along with everyone else. Problem is to fit enough heat sinks and ammo (and preferably Artemis) you end up slow or running an XL again.

You can also just do plain old quad LLAS, which is what I have on mine at the moment, but I feel like this is probably just a worse Jester?

Gaslight on
    edited March 2015
    does anybody have a screenshot of what the reward blue looks like ingame? I'm not gonna get it, but I'm gonna be sad if it's the proper powder blue kinda color that I've wanted forever

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    @Buttcleft
    Thanks for that Crab build. I've been liking it. Although I dropped a ton of ammo, rearranged some things and put in CASE. All of that boom was being applied to the wrong mech.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Thiiiis fucking close to uninstalling and asking for a Wave III and Urbie refund.

sXXjb1B.png
    edited March 2015
    Thiiiis fucking close to uninstalling and asking for a Wave III and Urbie refund.

Things should improve after this damn adder-up event is over. I've noticed the quality of teamplay has declined ENORMOUSLY because of it. I don't know why they just don't make the requirement "earn X matchpoints or c-bills over the course of the weekend." Then the people taking part in the event would actually try to help win the matches instead of getting a kill, damaging a few mechs in a suicide run, and then disconnecting to do it again.
    does anybody have a screenshot of what the reward blue looks like ingame? I'm not gonna get it, but I'm gonna be sad if it's the proper powder blue kinda color that I've wanted forever

Supposedly this hunchback has the goluboy paint on it. I don't have the paint and I won't get the paint unless they extend the event. (or retroactively lower the requirements because 80 points to get everything is dumb and whoever thought it was a good idea is the silliest goose)

I'm at 43 points right now, but unfortunately I had two matches in a row where we won pretty hard so I fear that the matchmaker is going to send me back into ELO hell as punishment for winning. (edit: Yep, back in hell. Where the enemy is in overlapping ECM and your allies scatter to the winds).

xhf2qg7yfu43.png

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Adder acquired and sold. That's enough MWO for the next 2 weeks, I think.

Maybe the next challenge will piss me off enough to uninstall! Lord knows I have other, far better games I could be playing.

sXXjb1B.png
    edited March 2015
    The scoring from the recent challenges bring out the worst. If you want fun play, then you need to be playing when there aren't any events. Then people don't have as much of that selfish tunnel-vision on the killing blow.

edit:
    Got the little !#$%

One of my last kills was me fighting my team to kill an obnoxious little Spider. Eventually I knocked him out of the air with my crab's second-to-last AC20 round.
    ksa0mnie7anj.jpg

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    edited March 2015
    edit: whoops. wrong thread.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Adder acquired and sold. That's enough MWO for the next 2 weeks, I think.

Maybe the next challenge will piss me off enough to uninstall! Lord knows I have other, far better games I could be playing.

You should jump in group next time. Games are a lot better than the pug queue (most days). This challenge was sooooo much better, game quality wise, than the last. I wasnt trying for it, but it was a lot better time.

kx3klFE.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    ATTENTION MECHWARRIORS!!

THE LAST JUMPSHIP BACK TO FRR SPACE IS LEAVING ***NOW***

I DON'T GET PAID ENOUGH TO DIE. GET ON BOARD, OR GET LEFT BEHIND.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/196900/mwo-we-return-home-to-our-lands-burned-bare-frr

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no