As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cable sans cable?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
So I can but don't really want to get cable installed in my new apartment. I'd be happy with being able to log into AMC, BBC America, CBS/ABC/NBC, and HBO.

Are there any cable providers that provide web-only service yet?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    As far as I know, there is no legal way of getting premium channels like HBO without paying for some kind of TV package (either cable or satellite).

For local channels, so long as you don't care about watching shows the night they air, you can usually do pretty well with a combination of hulu/netflix/each channels respective website. Or, if you live in a city, then you can try and setup an antenna.

If you don't care about paying but don't want to use a cable box or 3rd party tuner, then comcast has their xfinity on demand service which you can access online and typically watch shows a few days after they air for any show that you pay to get as part of a regular tv package (including premium channels like HBO).

edit- For the streaming only option there are some programs like playon, or possibly xbmc/kodi, that attempt to aggregate all of the separate websites that stream episodes for free. I don't have a lot of experience with them though so I can't speak to how well they work or how large the selection is.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Thanks, I'll check on those.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    You're in the new york city area. Hook a set of bunny ears to the tv and you'll have more channels than you would believe.