As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My first game art.

GeoGerstenGeoGersten Registered User new member
Started doing some game characters recently after a friend insisted. We're hoping they're good enough to make prints and sell, and since Fruit Fucker's in one of them, I figured you guys might have some thoughts. He actually posted them a few minutes ago, but we didn't realize only the artist is allowed to post in here. whoops.

Anyway. Good? Bad? What do you think?

Bonus Round
nufitnr97ld0.jpg

Lunch Break
eep6jwh4ec59.jpg

GG

My site: thecopperspoon.com/
My stuff in Morpheus Gallery: morpheusgallery.com/Geoffrey+Gersten/
Instagram: instagram.com/geogersten
Game prints: it8bit.storenvy.com

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Technically, you're not legally allowed to sell fanart. Whether or not any of these companies would go after you is another thing - but generally I'd imagine you'd have better luck selling original characters and artwork than selling fanart of properties that have millions and millions of different pieces of professionally-made merchandise already in existence.

Despite that, it's hard to answer the question of "are they good enough to sell" or not...if you try hard enough, I'm sure you could find at least one buyer that would be interested. The follow-up question, though - "are these interesting/unique enough to sell many copies of?" - has another conclusion, IMO. I don't personally think these would sell many copies...partially because a billion professionally-made pieces exist out there already, and secondly because there is nothing especially interesting or unique about the paintings. The characters are not interacting in an especially interesting manner, the setting isn't especially exciting, and there's little to no emotional connection in either of these. If you were aiming to replicate this iconic image, I think there is a lot that you could have done differently to make it more engaging and reminiscent of that photograph.

While the modeling of shapes in these seems to be decent, there are a lot of issues with color, perspective, value, and composition. There's a lot that could be said and a lot that I could get into, specifically...but are you most interested in just improving these pieces enough to where you'd be able to sell them (still a pointless endeavor, IMO, and your skills would be better used elsewhere) or are you interested in improving your art as a whole? If it's the latter, it would be great to see some additional pieces so we can see a wider range of your skill and interests.

NightDragon on