As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Christmas gift help

ReznikReznik Registered User regular
So I need to figure out a Christmas gift for my mom.

She's in her early 60s, retired. Her and my dad have started gardening a bit now that they're both retired, both flowers and vegetables (not huge gardens though). It's still kind of a new thing for both of them so they're not... I dunno, super advanced gardeners or anything. I don't really know anything about gardening to know what would be a good gift. Also whatever I get will have to be small enough to fit in a suitcase so I can take it on a plane, or I'll have to pick it up somewhere when I fly home.

They live in Northwestern Ontario (I'm assuming climate/location might play into what I get). There's a Lee Valley here that I could go to for gardening stuff, or my options at home are basically Canadian Tire/Home Depot.

My other idea was to find some kind of event or activity or class for my mom to go do, since she has a lot more free time now, but I still have to see what's offered in my (small, boring) hometown.

Any suggestions?

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
Forget it...

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    If she's into gardening, maybe get her some bulbs or flower seeds? They may not be able to plant them immediately, but if the bulbs get established, they'll keep coming back for years. Home Depot normally carries a fair selection of bulbs in their gardening section year round (at least they do in Colorado).

Another thought, a counter top herb garden. Like this one. I'm not sure what the Northwestern Ontario climate is like, but I'm guessing it's not exactly conducive to outdoor herb gardens. Might not be small enough to pack though, but you might be able to order it online and have it delivered.

• CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    It really depends on the sorts of things they like planting and what kind of work they're doing.

Like, do they keep plants inside their house? Outside their house? Do they plant in pots? What's their soil like? Are they planting flowers? Vegetables? Fruit? What kind of tools do they like using? How do they feel about fancy lawn ornaments? Bird baths? Bird feeders? Fountains?

Right now all I can do is strongly suggest you purchase something after you fly home, because unless you're buying a bird feeder, bird house, seeds/bulbs, fancy lawn ornament or a flower pot, everything's either gonna be too big, too delicate, or too weapon-like for you to take on a plane.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    If I remember right from last year, their vegetable garden had carrots, tomatoes, green beans, swiss chard, and maybe 1 or 2 other things. As far as flowers go, my mom has a little section in the back corner of the backyard with some bushes/flowers, a bird bath, and some lawn ornaments. She has I think 2 plants in pots in the backyard, no idea what they are, and then 1 or 2 plants and some bushes in the front yard. My mom will occasionally have flowers in the house but it's usually only when they've been gifted.

My budget is a bit limited too so something like a fountain, unless it's super tiny, is probably out of my price range. I would prefer something under $50 (broke college student).

I checked out the counter top herb garden thing. That might be cool if I can get my brother to split it with me.

Forget it...
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    something neat to do is repurpose a little drawer or wooden hobby box with separate sections for seasons - you could get a variety of vege seeds and look on the pack (or on google) to figure out planting times and organise them that way. depending on your area, you might be able to find a seed exchange or place that sells homegrown seeds that'll come in crinkly paper envelopes and look all rustic... as mums tend to appreciate.

edit: depending on how your budget's going you could bundle it with a book like this

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Southern seed Exchange is a great but terribly designed site to buy seeds/bulbs and other garden items.
    Last Christmas I got my aunts a 'pickling kit' that I put together with seeds, Bell jars, and a pickling book.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I'd say a really good pair of pruning shears or something if they don't already have one. Most people who garden start with the cheapest on-sale stuff at Home Depot and finding a tool they use often, but wont ever upgrade themselves means you can go spend an extra 30$ and get the nice version of it. They have a rusty half-decayed foam handle planting bucket and hand-trowel? Go buy them a nice version and fill the bucket with some seeds and such for next planting. Maybe put a couple pair of nice gloves in it too.

dispatch.o on
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    How about a growhouse?

http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-pvc-growhouse-w690mm-d490mm-h2m/263173_BQ.prd

You pop it outside in early spring and help get seedlings established when its still a bit nippy outside, its like a cheap mini green house that folds away. My parents have one and use it lots. Thats a UK site But I'm sure they have the same thing where you are, you can also get small cheaper versions!

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    How about a hand truck? Then again, they probably already have one of those...

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Do they have any lawn/grassy areas around? You could get them a bunch of assorted crocus bulbs to plant amongst the grass. Their leaves don't get more than usual mowing height and look kinda grassy anyway, plus they're about the first thing to bloom whenever spring finally arrives so they can have a lawn with purple and white and yellow flowers before most of the rest of the plants even get started.

• MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Miracle-Gro AeroGarden 7-Pod Indoor Garden with Gourmet Herb Seed Kit, Black

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FI4O90/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_1l9Eub0JDJYAJ

For growing all year up there in Canada.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Maguano wrote: »

Confession time, I've been following this thread hoping for a suggestion for my own mother (always the hardest to buy for).
    I'm pretty sure that Maguano's post solved that problem for me.
    Still gonna keep an eye on the thread though. Never know when something cool will be suggested.

• CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    If I remember right from last year, their vegetable garden had carrots, tomatoes, green beans, swiss chard, and maybe 1 or 2 other things. As far as flowers go, my mom has a little section in the back corner of the backyard with some bushes/flowers, a bird bath, and some lawn ornaments. She has I think 2 plants in pots in the backyard, no idea what they are, and then 1 or 2 plants and some bushes in the front yard. My mom will occasionally have flowers in the house but it's usually only when they've been gifted.

Okay, well in that case you're probably not gonna want to buy nice flower pots or a small cloche...

You could get a nice stone lawn ornament for them, or a bird feeder since they have a bird bath. You can take those on a plane.

If you're stopping at a garden store, though, they might enjoy a miniature fruit tree since they've already got veggies. (Be sure to buy one that's self-pollinating.)

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Sounds like she has a somewhat decent sized garden, how's the weeding situation? Long ago I got my Mom these really nice gel Knee Pads, and she adored them , and constantly would bring it up that she was glad I thought of them because it never crossed her mind, but her knees were forever grateful

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    gnome
    all gardens need a gnome

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Maguano wrote: »

This is pretty much exactly what I was planning to get my mother (who fits the OP's description exactly) before Apple dropped new iPads

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Sounds like she has a somewhat decent sized garden, how's the weeding situation? Long ago I got my Mom these really nice gel Knee Pads, and she adored them , and constantly would bring it up that she was glad I thought of them because it never crossed her mind, but her knees were forever grateful

My mum is a keen gardener and gets through a lot of these. Any older people who take up gardening should have these, or else their knees will make them pay for it.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Man, that gardener's seat would be nice except for the $28.29 in shipping costs. sigh.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll probably wait til I fly home so I can see what kind of tools, etc. they've already got and then pick something up at Home Depot or Canadian Tire. Anything I order online is going to have absolutely ridiculous shipping costs.

Forget it...
  • MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    sorry, i glossed over the part where you mention they are in canuckistan.
    (but yay for helping the other folks)

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687