As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Peer 2 Peer Software.

FanboiFanboi Registered User regular
I've seen threads locked and people temp-banned for asking about the best P2P software. The reason, I assumed, was noone wanted to get G&T in trouble with the fuzz. Now that the courts have ruled that P2P software is legal will we be able to make threads about the software?

Fanboi on

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Fanboi wrote:
    I've seen threads locked and people temp-banned for asking about the best P2P software. The reason, I assumed, was noone wanted to get G&T in trouble with the fuzz. Now that the courts have ruled that P2P software is legal will we be able to make threads about the software?
    Xtra caution.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited August 2004
    I don't think legality is the issue.

Tube on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2004
    I think it goes with the no emulation talk rule. Say Nintendo wants to advertise on PA, and just because they're so against emulation, they check the forums. "P2P" threads are there. "Oh, these people steal music and programs. How do we know they're not stealing our games? We shouldn't advertise here."

I like to make conversations.

Garlic Bread on
  • bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    Actually, that rule is because Gabe personally finds the practice reprehensible, not because of the potential for lost advertisement revenue on account of anything we do.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    Before you create a thread, PM a mod from the forum where you want to create it and discuss it first. You won't get jailed or banned for asking if a thread is okay.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Gabe has three gigs of mp3s.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    Oh, the witty commentary...I'm sure it's more than that by now.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    pheezer wrote:
    Before you create a thread, PM a mod from the forum where you want to create it and discuss it first. You won't get jailed or banned for asking if a thread is okay.

What? EVERY time we want to make a thread, or just when we know the thread is dumb and will get locked?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    pheezer wrote:

What? EVERY time we want to make a thread, or just when we know the thread is dumb and will get locked?

Every time you want to create a thread that you think might be questionable, or where you're not sure if it's okay, PM a local mod. They'll decide if they're going to allow it then and there and give you advice on wording if they think it's necessary.

They didn't make any of us into mods because they thought we were unreasonable pricks that couldn't find fair compromises. Well, except for Duck.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited August 2004
    I don't know where that zing came from, because Duck has never been anything but helpful :P

There should be a crazy day or week where they switch the mods what forum they mod around to see what crazyness ensues. That would be cool.

hijack successful

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2004
    The seas would run red, with the blood of my ENEMIES

A duck! on
  • FanboiFanboi Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    So what forum can I make a "What P2P software do you use?" thread. Would that be cool in G&T or H/A?

Fanboi on
    edited August 2004
    Fanboi wrote:
    So what forum can I make a "What P2P software do you use?" thread. Would that be cool in G&T or H/A?
    That's just about the same thing. It's a sort of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" around here.

But the mods always have the final word.

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    edited August 2004
    Until this was brought up now, it used to be a go ahead and talk about it thing as long as you didn't say 'oh yeah, you can get all the latest warez and britn3y sp34rz mp3z off of da kazaa use that' thread.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2004
    It all depends on what your soul seeks.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • supafreysupafrey Registered User new member
    edited September 2004
    Fallout wrote:

subtle. :P

supafrey on
    banner4.jpg
    edited September 2004
    Fallout wrote:
    k

Paladin on