As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Telltale Games] The Vault of the Traveler

1151617181921»

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Even though I don't care for Telltale's Walking Dead or GoT I have to imagine they're pretty successful off name alone.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    klemming wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    i started borderlands

giving me one bullet is like come on man

i know i'm gonna have this bullet at the end now

The thing they do with that bullet is one of my favorite things Telltale has ever done

What did they do?
    I didn't use it in the first ep, and I don't remember it ever coming up again.
    You think the one bullet is gonna be a big deal when you actually choose to use it/not use it.

And then in, like, chapter 3 Athena goes, "Wait, you only have one bullet? Seriously? Here's a whole fucking box, you'll never run out now."

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I'm catching up on all the modern telltale games, just beat Jurassic Park. Please tell me that they don't continue with all the button mashing and dying in the later titles, that was pretty annoying.

I have Wolf Among Us and Game of Thrones already, from what I'm reading here, it sounds like people would recommend doing Wolf first?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Do Wolf first
    Then don't do Game of Thrones at all

• Options
    I bought it, that means I'm playing it!

I don't plan on getting the walking dead games, so I have to experience that patented telltale misery I keep hearing about.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Do Wolf first
    Then don't do Game of Thrones at all

I honestly can't think of any reason to recommend someone play GoT. Pretty-close clones of the show's stars make cameos, if that's enough for you, I guess.

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    They do continue that dumb button mashing QTE, but I don't remember the last time I've failed that one, so they might have eased up on how much you have to smash that button. And they have used it effectively in a few instances, where they use it more as a way to force you to think about the fact that you are fucking killing someone.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I actually think the very first episode of GOT was good as a microcosm of the show

Its just the remainder of it goes downhill rapidly in terms of story balance of good/bad heavily in favor of the latter

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    I like some of the button mashing QTEs when they're not 'fill this bar to go to the next scene', but 'tap this because you're holding on to a cliff with your fingertips, notice how you're not filling the bar? That's because you're about to DIE'.
    Tales spoilers:
    I also liked when climbing with Rhys, pulling himself up with his cyborg arm is way easier than his regular one.
    How are the older Telltale games? I think I got Back to the Future when it was stupid cheap in a Steam sale, is it worth my time?

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I think the Sam & Max games are the only classic Telltale that I would recommend without reservation

Strong Bad and Back to the Future are only for big fans of those things

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of the older telltale games. Back to the Future was fantastic, it's a little slow in the first episode, but picks up after that and goes in some really interesting directions. I'd also recommend the Sam and Max games and Tales of Monkey Island. I'll agree that Strong Bad only really works if you already are a fan. I don't even know if they still sell the Wallace and Gromit game, but I'd put it in the same category, that's one of their weaker ones.

sig.gif
  • Options
    There's a big holiday sale on PSN right now

If you have Plus, the entire season of Borderlands is 4 DOLLARS

And somehow Back to the Future is 12

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Retrospective Interview for Tales of the Borderlands. They dance around what happens in Chapter Four, but consider this kind of a general spoiler warning anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIMm0gN0H9c

sig.gif
  • Options
    I see Troy Baker has realized he's "can get away with that hat" handsome

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    If you were wondering, yes, Minecraft Story Mode has parents everywhere thinking that it's Minecraft 2.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I am hype as fuck for Firewatch and Tacoma

• Options
    Good god, the 4th episode of Minecraft is out next week

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Good god, the 4th episode of Minecraft is out next week

I suspected all of Minecraft would be out by the end of the year. Lost that bet it seems.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Minecraft seems like it would be easier for them to crank out than their other franchises

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    So I made that thing I said I'd make and boy did it take me a while
    https://youtu.be/TsU4IYP3nBw

• Options
    Remember Telltale?

They're still around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CV2F-kw4tE

and still doing Walking Dead

This starts on the 23rd

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm good, thanks

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Well, at least they're true to the source material.

In that you wish it stopped.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I played through the GoT series. Went into it completely blind and thought while the button mash sequences sucked ass, the story didn't seem too bad.
    I finished the game and thought I had done semi-decently and got an, all things considered, pretty optimistic ending.

Then I started reading online about it, and found that no matter what decisions I had made the difference would have been essentially fuck-all.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I played through the GoT series. Went into it completely blind and thought while the button mash sequences sucked ass, the story didn't seem too bad.
    I finished the game and thought I had done semi-decently and got an, all things considered, pretty optimistic ending.

Then I started reading online about it, and found that no matter what decisions I had made the difference would have been essentially fuck-all.

That is the dark secret of every telltale game: your choices mean very little to the overall narrative

But some telltale games hide this better than others, so even if the story might not change too much you can feel attached to the character and the way your Bigby or your Fiona did certain things makes it feel unique

It's just that in game of thrones every option results in terrible things happening that make you actually feel like your choices don't matter so fuck that thing

edit or that's how it was for me anyway

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    That's one of the secret rules to enjoying a Tell tale game. Don't read anybody else's experiences about it and you will enjoy it more.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Way late but I finally got round to playing Tales of the Borderlands.
    That was a blast, I've never actually played a Telltale game before but this one was a lot of fun, borderlands is a bit of a weird franchise what with it's mix of insane nonsense setting and aiming for emotional beats, but Tales pulls it off well, better than the main series probably, though that is probably something of a given considering that it's not tied to gun and loot gameplay.
    The original characters are great, cameos are endlessly entertaining, extremely funny, good stuff.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    It'd probably be way too much work for the payoff, but I'd love it if when BL3 comes out, they could somehow read your Tales save and choices and have some subtle nods in it to what happened. Maybe upload them to SHIFT?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Well, Tales is considered in the canon, so even if there isn't choice-specific stuff, it all matters.

Point of Fact
    There's an Atlas-branded Conference Call in Pre-Sequel with the red text of "Rhys Remembers".

sig.gif
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The Walking Dead games are great.

lwzST0G.gif

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    This game is finally getting a physical release, some time this year. Not that I suspect anyone was holding out for that, but I'm happy to see it because it gives it a bit more respect and will hopefully garner some more sales for it.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    so did anyone play Michonne

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    oof