As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Telltale Games] The Vault of the Traveler

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
edited October 2015 in Social Entropy++
Telltale Games is an independent game developer in California

They make adventure games

They used to be like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NpP-NAOO5k

And now they're like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdtAlcEclbk

PREVIOUS SERIES'
PROD0025SMMXXX00SMMXS123_229_128.jpg
A collection of six episodic games based around an anthropomorphic dog and his hyperkinetic rabbity thing buddy.

PROD0002BTTFXX00BTTFS1_229_128.jpg
Marty McFly and Doc Brown return in a completely new Back to the Future adventure.
Six months after the events of the third film, the DeLorean Time Machine mysteriously returns to Hill Valley - driverless! Marty must go back in time and get aid from a resistant teenage Emmett Brown, or else the space time continuum will forever be unraveled!

PROD0014TOMIXX00TOMIS1_229_128.jpg
While explosively stripping the evil pirate LeChuck of his demonic mojo, Guybrush Threepwood inadvertently infects the entire Caribbean with the arch-fiend's expelled voodoo, which threatens to transform buccaneers into unruly pirate monsters. Pursued by a notorious cut-throat Pirate Hunter and a creepy French Physician who believes that Guybrush's eerily-infected hand holds the secret of eternal life, Threepwood sails the seven seas in search of La Esponja Grande, a legendary sea sponge with unparalleled voodoo exfoliating abilities. But little does Guybrush know, his quest is part of a larger, more sinister plot, and good and evil are not always as they seem...
Who can Guybrush trust? Where can he turn? Everything you think you know will be challenged as Tales of Monkey Island builds to its unexpected finale!

CURRENT SERIES' ON HIATUS
PROD0069DEADXX00WDS2_574_321.jpg
Many months have passed since the events seen in Season One of The Walking Dead, and Clementine is searching for safety. But what can an ordinary child do to stay alive when the living can be just as bad – and sometimes worse – than the dead? As Clementine, you will be tested by situations and dilemmas that will test your morals and your instinct for survival.

PROD0066WOLFXX00TWAU1_574_321.jpg
From the makers of the 2012 Game of the Year: The Walking Dead, comes a gritty, violent and mature thriller based on the award-winning Fables comic books (DC Comics/Vertigo). As Bigby Wolf - THE big bad wolf - you will discover that a brutal, bloody murder is just a taste of things to come in a game series where your every decision can have enormous consequences.

An evolution of Telltale's ground-breaking choice and consequence game mechanics will ensure the player learns that even as Bigby Wolf, Sheriff of Fabletown, life in the big bad city is bloody, terrifying and dangerous.

CURRENT SERIES' RUNNING NOW
game-gameofthrones_574_321.jpg
Game of Thrones: Season One is a six part episodic game series set in the world of HBO's groundbreaking TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB4gAcLZTGQ

This new story tells of House Forrester, a noble family from the north of Westeros, loyal to the Starks of Winterfell. Caught up in the events surrounding the War of the Five Kings, they are thrown into a maelstrom of bloody warfare, revenge, intrigue, and horror as they fight to survive while the seven kingdoms tear themselves apart. You will take on the role of different members of the Forrester household, and determine their fate through the choices you make; your actions and decisions will change the story around you.

game-talesfromtheborderlands_574_321.jpg
Tales from the Borderlands is a five part episodic game series from the creators of The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series. Set on the unforgiving world of Pandora after the events seen in Borderlands 2, this is a story full of Borderlands’ trademark humor, following two adventurers on their quest for greatness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHrMny4Fxf4

You’ll play as Rhys, a Hyperion ‘suit’ with dreams of being the next Handsome Jack, and Fiona, a Pandoran con artist looking to score her biggest ever swindle. Thrown together as unwilling partners in an adventure to recover cash they both think is theirs, their journey will take you on a wild ride where gangsters, bandit lords, and Vault Hunters are just some of the obstacles you’ll encounter, in this new take on the award-winning universe created by Gearbox Software.

The first episodes of Game of Thrones and Tales from the Borderlands are now available on basically everything that can play video games

I hear they're pretty good!

6F32U1X.png
Mr. G on

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I am bummed that public opinion on telltale stuff has gone a bit downhill since Walking Dead Season 1, and even that game got a fair amount of backlash from people, cause I actually loved the shit out of it.

Still need to finish Wolf Among us and Walking Dead season 2

Also I had no interest in tales from the borderlands but it actually seems to be shaping up quite well

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Walking Dead Season 2 is not as good as Season 1 but it is still good.

Wolf Among Us was only disappointing to me because when it ended i couldn't get more of it.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Tales from the Borderlands had the best first episode of a Telltale thing. It was so good.

GoT was also really good.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Fuuuuuuuck these GoT choices are tough

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I cannot wait till you get to the end

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I've reloaded the judgment of the thief like three times now

• Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Just played through Game of Thrones episode 1. This was my first Telltale game, but I've heard very good things about them so I picked the Season Pass up on a whim.

I enjoyed it though, and I'll probably check the other TT games out eventually.

Spoiling opinions just in case:

It was definitely an interesting experience, but it does kind of feel "fan fictiony", if that makes sense? As much as I was enjoying the ride, I couldn't help but roll my eyes at how many characters from the show you interacted with. Is it the same with the Walking Dead, or is this just a GoT thing?

The likenesses are also very uncanny valley.

• Options
    What No

You gotta live with your choices! Reloads are for second playthroughs

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    What No

You gotta live with your choices! Reloads are for second playthroughs

I actually ended up circling back around to my first choice

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I played every telltale game up until jurassic park or back to the future, I've really got to get with it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I can't even pick my fucking Sentinel
    This is agony

• Options
    I'm only a little bit of the way into Game of Thrones but it's a unique Telltale experience

I've agonized over choices long after I've made them before

Now I just quickly go "this is what has to happen" and I'm done with it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Fuck
    FUCK

• Options

Fuck
    FUCK
    YEAAAAAH

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    God fucking dammit I should have seen that coming

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I think they've actually done a really good job with all the actors

They capture some of the great small details of their performances in the animation

Natalie Dormer will occasionally have these really sly looks, Peter Dinklage is swirling his finger on the lip of a goblet, Lena Headey's amazing scowl

It's all in there

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    They did a pro fucking job of capturing Headey's little sneer

• Options
    SenorTacosSenorTacos Registered User regular
    If I haven't watched or read Game of Thrones is the game understandable/good/what am I missing?

• Options
    SenorTacos wrote: »
    If I haven't watched or read Game of Thrones is the game understandable/good/what am I missing?

It is almost certainly completely incomprehensible if you haven't read the book or watched the show, especially watched the show

They kind of throw you into the deep end?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    That was a Game of Thrones-ass Game of Thrones ending

Decisions (episode 1)
    I left Bowen behind

I swore loyalty to the King

I sent Erik to the Wall

I picked Duncan as Sentinel

I met Ramsay at the Gate

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

Decisions
    I left Bowen behind

I sent Erik to the Wall

I met Ramsay at the Gate
    Same

Same

Chopped off his fingers, myself

Picked the other dude

Met Ramsay in the Hall

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Decisions
    I left Bowen behind

I sent Erik to the Wall

I met Ramsay at the Gate
    Same

Same

Picked the other dude

Met Ramsay in the Hall
    I didn't wanna let Ramsay in cause I knew he'd try and pull some shit

Turns out I was very right

Whoops

6F32U1X.png
  • Options

Decisions
    I left Bowen behind

I sent Erik to the Wall

I met Ramsay at the Gate
    Same

Same

Picked the other dude

Met Ramsay in the Hall
    Same

Same

Pardoned Erik

Picked uh, not-Duncan

Met Ramsay at the gate

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    GoT
    I thought I was playing Ramsay so well. :(

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have tales from the borderlands but I haven't started it yet. I might own the GoT one? I honestly don't remember. Either way, I should put some time aside for these.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

I was always nice in Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us.

Not so much here.
    Fuck you Bowen and begging soldier, fuck your fingers thief, gimme that key. Shoulda taken the Tyrell seal but I already disappointed Margaery by giving Queen Asshole what she wanted to hear. Really almost went with the Man At Arms over Duncan, but he would end up getting everyone killed (and I was kinda hoping they'd let you pick Lady Forrester just to fuck with everyone), met Ramsay in the hall and tried gifting him the Ironwood.

Does anything change if you don't let Ethan's uncle go to Essos and don't defend his twin sister from Ramsay? I'd have to assume no, since Telltale games don't really change up the major events.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Has anyone failed a quick-time event in Tales From the Borderlands yet?
    I was being distracted by my dog climbing on top of me in real life and got confused by an arrow key prompt so the psycho skulled Rhys with his cleaver. The mercenary listening to his story goes "You didn't die!" in an annoyed tone and Rhys responds "Yeah, but I could have!"

It struck me as really funny.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I'm gonna get GoT soon

picked up Borderlands last night

is there any sort of Borderlands plot I should know?

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Vault Hunters are crazy, mass-murdering looters, Hyperion is an evil corporation run until recently by a sociopath named Handsome Jack (he was killed by the Vault Hunters he attempted to murder, now there's a power vacuum), and everything on Pandora revolves around these mysterious vaults that are filled with an unobtainium-like metal called Eridium.

Also there's no law.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Vault Hunters are crazy, mass-murdering looters, Hyperion is an evil corporation run until recently by a sociopath named Handsome Jack (he was killed by the Vault Hunters he attempted to murder, now there's a power vacuum), and everything on Pandora revolves around these mysterious vaults that are filled with an unobtainium-like metal called Eridium.

Also there's no law.

gotcha

• Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the telltale games thing. I bought TWD season 1 as a bundle and am interested in Game of Thrones but I was wondering if the $30 on steam will get you all the episodes or if thats just the price of the first episode? It seems crazy to me to end up paying $180 for all six episodes but I wanted to double check before buying.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    It's the whole season. You cannot buy individual episodes on Steam like you can on consoles/mobile.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    It's never happen, but I would totally buy some DLC for Telltale games that let you replace the main characters and play as Sam & Max in all the games.

They'd totally fit in on Pandora.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Wait, GoT is 30 on Steam? The pass is 25 on PS

Oh! Have atheory on what Lord Forrester tells Gared:
    The North Grove is beyond the Wall. Makes sense: Duncan says its story was to fool wildlings and mentions he will need Gared's help at some point. Even his advice tk become a Ranger would help, since Gared would have an excuse to venture Beyond the Wall.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Yeah, PS4 season pass costs $5 less for whatever reason. Same for Borderlands - $25 on Steam, $20 on PS4.

• Options
    That's because you can buy the first episode for 5 bucks and THEN the season pass

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ALL IN OR NOTHING

• Options
    I like that system way better

I'm still less than sure if I'm gonna be into Borderlands, but for 5 bucks certainly I'll check out the first episode and see if I like it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Why would you buy Tales of the Borderlands if you have no knowledge of that franchise

• Options
    Why would you buy Tales of the Borderlands if you have no knowledge of that franchise

I've been using Borderlands as a shorthand for Tales, which I probably shouldn't do

I played Borderlands 1 and 2 and kinda burned out on that franchise but I hear a lot of good things about Tales so I wanna try it

6F32U1X.png