As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

non-iPod music players

ReznikReznik Registered User regular
I have an iPod classic(?) that I got from college in 2007. I expect it will die in the near future. I want to sort out what I will replace it with. I don't want to give Apple my money, but I don't know what other options are out there.

I don't need it to do anything other than play music. I just want something sturdy and reliable with comparable capacity (current iPod is 80GB, so nothing under 40 GB). Bonus points if it is either compatible with iTunes, or there is some software to easily transfer my iTunes library to something else so I don't have to re-rip everything.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
Forget it...

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    Is there a particular reason you don't want to get another iPod? Is it a dislike of the company or a dislike of a certain feature of current iPods?

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Iceman asks a good question, there is a reason apple makes money on the product (it works and is solid). That said, if you are going to shell out money for a new music device you probably want to attach it to a smart phone since the costs will be about the same and you'll get added functionality.

If you don't want the phone bit, there are literally thousands of cheap, high storage devices available on Newegg. Simply find the one with the most reviews of the best rating.

That said, the reason I haven't left apple is because I haven't yet found a system that works better than itunes for music management and downloads. It is solid technology and I don't think there is really anything that quite compares to its effectiveness.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I just use my phone. Have you considered whether your smart phone can do what you need?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I don't have a smart phone (because I don't use a phone nearly enough to justify the cost of one + the more expensive plan), so my current phone would not be an option.

I want to avoid Apple because of my longstanding vehement dislike for the company. I'll see what they've got on Newegg. It's a shame about the software, though.

Forget it...
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah I've had nothing but frustration with our old Zune/SanDisk mp3 players. iPod Nano would be my choice if the touch is too expensive.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    There aren't any other options with the features you desire.
    iPod Classic got discontinued, you would have to buy a used one.
    FiiO's X3 looks pretty great, plays a bunch of esoteric lossless formats. 64GB flash cards you can change out - definitely not compatible with itunes. Seems like it mounts a drive on your pc when you connect and you make folders and drag and drop the files into the drive.
    Sony's player also looks really good, probably not compatible with itunes, also sounds like a drag-and-drop process to load files onto it.

If you're handy and want to spend some time googling around, there are some solutions for replacing the hard drive in your ipod classic with a small flash hard drive or compact flash cards.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I'm very happy with what Sony brings to the table. I have been a fan of their portable music since they created the Walkman (Yes. I'm that old). I think it shows in their stuff that they know about audio and that they have been doing portable for a long time - like for example that that even the standard ear buds are decent and also very comfy.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Reznik wrote: »
    I don't have a smart phone (because I don't use a phone nearly enough to justify the cost of one + the more expensive plan), so my current phone would not be an option.

I want to avoid Apple because of my longstanding vehement dislike for the company. I'll see what they've got on Newegg. It's a shame about the software, though.

I've never understood this concept, Apple is going to keep selling things regardless of your opinion of them. Sort of chopping off your nose to spite your face sort of deal. To each their own, though.

Given your requirements, my recommendation would be to first find software that suits your needs and then look at machines that work with it, rather than the other way around.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    You don't need a data plan for your smart phone. Android (and Apple) phones work just fine for voice/text with cellular data turned off.

Just get a cheap android phone, copy your music to it, and use the default music app.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I use my phone. I also didn't use my phone that much (maybe once or twice a week for a few minutes) until it became my music player, camera, phone, skype, google hangouts, SMS, and internet go-to. If you have it I think you'll use it enough that shelling out money on that instead of an mp3 player is really worth it.

I am a Samsung Galaxy fangirl though, and since my first Galaxy phone (the S3) I've been hooked. I'd never had a phone I loved so much. I'm on the S5 now, and it's my main mp3 player even in my car.

If you are really stuck on the music-player-only thing, I had a Sansa Fuze that I loved. That was my main mp3 player until my husband lost it (grr) and I started using my phone.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Same for me. I never used my phone for more than 1) calling people and 2) storing some phone numbers before my wife got me an I phone. I actually thought the whole concept of having that much on my phone was silly and ridiculous.

Now my iphone houses my books (via kindle), my music (via itunes), a handful of useful day to day apps like myfitnesspal and some clock uses (stopwatch and alarms are big ones I use daily for cooking and planning work). I don't even really use it for texting or streaming video/internet (though I have when stuck in an airport via netflix which was a life saver for a 4 hour layover). Considering I pretty much kept my same plan and got a $100 upgrade on the phone I'm not really out any money, and I can access my entire library of books anywhere. I still have an iphone 3 from 2008 and haven't needed to replace it since.

That said, if I was going to do it over today I would probably go Windows or Android phone for both cost and usefulness, though I'm unfamiliar with their music service. Apple products are fairly expensive comparatively and these days there isn't much of a difference between the three aside from cost. I'm not changing until my phone dies though, and so far it looks like it still has plenty of life left to live.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I dont know in which way your old Ipod is giving out, but older ipods are actually relatively easy to repair. My last ipod was a combination of three ipods. I keep it and my ipod touch around for music on long car trips to preserve my phone.

• Options
    I don't think I would get much use out of a smart phone regardless. If I am at home, I have my desktop, and if I'm at school I have my laptop, and when I get a job I will be working on computers. So the various apps would never see any use. The music player is literally for the 40 min-1 hour I'm on the bus, or when I walk to the store for groceries.

To get a phone through my provider means I would have to bump up my phone plan by another 10 bucks a month, which I'm unwilling to do because I had to hunt a lot to find the absolute cheapest phone/plan possible.

I'll scope out some of the brands you guys mentioned. I honestly didn't even realize the Walkman brand was still a thing.

@Iruka It's been freezing/crashing more frequently, not holding a charge as long, and for some reason despite the songs being in order on iTunes and when I first sync them to the iPod, eventually certain albums and podcasts will just re-order themselves for no reason. Half the History of Rome podcast seems to have vanished into thin air despite being perfectly fine in iTunes itself. And when I plug it into my computer to charge it, it randomly connects/disconnects unless I perform a voodoo ritual to get the connection to remain stable.

Forget it...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Do you know the exact model of your ipod?

The thing is probably going to fail eventually, and unfortunately for you the smart phone killed the market for this type of device. You can still buy replacement ipod parts online but they aren't quite as cheap as they used to be. You can buy a replacement battery, but if its freezing you maybe having hard drive trouble. If you have a bunch of techy friends, I would just poll them and see if they have any broken ipods laying about gathering dust. If you can find a few broken ones for free, you have a possibility that they failed in different ways. For instance, Most of my friends stopped using an ipod because the headphone jack failed, but the device was completely fine otherwise.

Its a little work... but it was fun to do. My current ipod isn't even a combination of the same models. I had to put an older back on it to account for the larger logic board. I had a 4th gen though, and not a classic (you'll want to know the exact model before you walk down this road)

You maybe surprised at how many people with smart phones now have an ipod in a drawer somewhere that they don't use. I'm not in love with apple products otherwise, but the ipod was probably the most solid device they ever made, and if you want to keep using their software I think you probably would save yourself a headache or two by just finding another old working one.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Model A1238, 80 GB thin. I could see if anyone else from college still has theirs lying around (everyone in the program was given one in 1st year). I do like tinkering with electronics anyway, and I suppose there's no harm if the thing's already dying. If I screw it up I'll just snag a walkman or something.

Forget it...
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    So the thread reply consensus to "What's a good portable music player to replace my iPod, please not another iPod because I don't like the company that makes them or the software they use"
    is
    "Just get an iPod"?
    or
    "Spend a couple of hundred dollars on a smart phone that you have also stated that you don't want"

@Reznik, there is a plethora of devices to choose from outside of the Apple ecosystem, here are three popular manufacturers:
    Sandisk
    Sony
    Fiio

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    I really like the look of those FiiO players. I think the X1 is definitely at the top of the list.

Forget it...
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah that FiiO is nice. Avoid Sandisk though, really terrible devices, at least they were 5 years ago.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That FiiO is nice (never seen it before!), and 99 is cheaper than replacing the hd and logic board in your ipod if you were buying replacement parts. I would still, personally fish around for some dusty ipods and see if you can fix it yourself, just because that option would be free if you have some generous friends.

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    Reznik, the reason to use a phone is that it's literally cheaper than a nice/capable music player. For one example, a unlocked / no SIM Moto E costs $130 and takes 32gb flash cards.

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    Reznik, the reason to use a phone is that it's literally cheaper than a nice/capable music player. For one example, a unlocked / no SIM Moto E costs $130 and takes 32gb flash cards.

The FiiO X1 is $100 at Canada Computers and takes 128 GB SD cards.

Forget it...
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The big question now for @Reznik‌ is, do you feel like re-ripping your music library to FLAC to take advantage of all the nice sound circuitry in the X1? Also, what earbuds do you use?

• Options
    I don't use ear buds (they're uncomfortable as hell), I've got a pair of these Sennheisers: http://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-Lightweight-Over-Ear-Binaural-Headphones/dp/B0007XJSQC

Not terribly great, but they were under $40 and they're comfortable.

I need to re-organize all my music anyway so I probably will end up re-ripping stuff once I get all my CDs in one place.

Forget it...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    There's a thread in Moe's Tech Tavern (Audiophilia: Headphones, Amps, DAPs, and Empty Wallets) that will be more than happy to guide you in the direction of some amazing new headphones to let you hear all the sounds and subtleties of your music now that you have a music player with a DAC chip in it that is NOT the very cheapest thing available on the face of the planet...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I'm really happy with my Walkman, mainly because I can use it without any management software.

• Options
    Kilgore TroutKilgore Trout Registered User regular
    I've been using a Sony walkman for years and never had any problems. Basically an older version of this: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-walkman-16gb-mp3-player-nwze385b-black-nwze385b/10266394.aspx?path=6a2f187821bb3b7148fc25d802c575a6en02

You can operate it as drag-and-drop loading or use their MediaGo music management program. I've never used iTunes (I also have a dislike for Apple as a company) so I can't compare, but MediaGo is a great program that is straight forward to use.

The only thing I would note as a possible problem with the Walkman is that it doesn't always sync up properly when plugged into my car. This is less a problem with the walkman and more a problem with the fact that my car can't handle music files in any format other than Mp3.