As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Until Dawn] David Cage and Sam Raimi had a baby and it is UGLY. Out now!

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Finished my first run through last night. Had 2 deaths
    I wasn't fast enough as Mike chasing Jessica and she got killed pretty early, then I fucked up the very last don't move as Sam and the wendigo took her out.

I found all the sister's clues so Josh got taken away by Hannah and turned into a wendigo too. I also didn't lock the door escaping the sanatorium so I didn't save the wolf :(

Really enjoyed it, although we did wonder if it would have been scarier or felt different if
    the story didn't go into the supernatural and stuck with the serial killer stuff.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Re: Your final spoiler, I'm really glad it didn't. I felt like what they did was probably best.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Voth wrote: »
    This game was really fun. I lost 5 people total but it will be fun making some different choices.

I still don't approve of QTEs. They just aren't fun and really pull me away instead of incest me in a scene.

That is one hell of an autocorrect.

.. please tell me that's an autocorrect.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    Riiight .... Autocorrect.

The funny thing is that I already corrected it but it changed at the time I posted again. It's a little disconcerting that invest and incest are corrected. Darn you Google just because I'm from Oregon doesn't mean I lean that way.

reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    This game needs a damn Fast Forward Button for when you replay episodes.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

This game needs a god damn invert-Y-axis option is what this game needs.

But yes, also the FFWD thing.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    KnytestormeKnytestorme Registered User regular
    Loved the game, played it over 2 nights...well ok, played it over like 2 hours of one night and then waited till daylight to finish it. To me it was a mix of Dragons Lair meets Horror Movie tropes meets X-Files that looked great and played really well, outside of characters having way too wide a turning circle if you needed to do a 180.

I was doing really well up until around 6am
    Matt - Lost in the mines after Emily took the flare gun on the tower
    Ashley - Made the same horror movie mistake as a lot of people and split off from the group
    Jessica - Tried to run even though I knew wendigo's only saw movement
    Josh - Didn't get all the sister clues but still turned in to wendigo

Emily, Mike - Died in the cabin explosion when I hit the light switch

Sam, Chris - Survived and got locked up I'd assume

Wolf - Survived

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Really, the most important thing is that
    the wolf

survives

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I think for Josh all you really have to do is
    Make sure to get Beth's watch from her grave and then find her journal nearby, so Sam and Mike can have the realization about her transformation and then they'll tell Josh.

I was missing 3 other twins clues but got those last two and he recognized Hannah.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    This was a really fun game. I'd love for this genre to be a bit more ubiquitous.
    I think I almost made it through with everybody intact.
    Matt and Emily both went out fairly cheaply. Matt fell off of a cliff due to a missed QTE with the deer and Emily hung a left when she could've gone right and got two wendigo thumbs in the eyes for her trouble.

• Options
    This was a really fun game. I'd love for this genre to be a bit more ubiquitous.
    I think I almost made it through with everybody intact.
    Matt and Emily both went out fairly cheaply. Matt fell off of a cliff due to a missed QTE with the deer and Emily hung a left when she could've gone right and got two wendigo thumbs in the eyes for her trouble.

Re: Matt
    The best way to avoid falling off the cliff is to not attack the deer. If you just calmly walk through the herd, they disperse and let you through.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've since replayed that chapter and made it through.

Don't fuck with wildlife.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Have any other games done QTEs that you shouldn't complete? I liked that little twist, it makes you have to think about what you're doing.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Have any other games done QTEs that you shouldn't complete? I liked that little twist, it makes you have to think about what you're doing.

The closest thing I can think of is the Telltale games where silence is usually an option.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Until Dawn makes it clear over and over and over that if you
    fuck with any animals
    you're going to eat some shit.

minor incident on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

This game needs a god damn invert-Y-axis option is what this game needs.

But yes, also the FFWD thing.

Torch? More like torch-ure amirite?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    MurgatroydMurgatroyd Registered User regular

The closest thing I can think of is the Telltale games where silence is usually an option.

Outside of dialogue, there are QTE actions in at least one episode of The Wolf Among Us that I chose not to complete because of the projected outcome. Also (Telltale again) there are actions at the end of the farmhouse sequence in The Walking Dead, Season 1 that can determine other characters' opinions of you, based on how far you go with it.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Man, I made some bad choices and the only 3 made it out in my game.

So how replayable is this game? My biggest mistake with Heavy Rain was playing it a second time and realizing that non of my choices or actions mattered up until the very last part of the game.

• Options

So how replayable is this game? My biggest mistake with Heavy Rain was playing it a second time and realizing that non of my choices or actions mattered up until the very last part of the game.

You'll be happy to know that your choices actually matter in this!

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Woot!

Story spoilers

I honestly loved how they managed to explore many horror sub-genres by having the red herring in the game. Though all of the tension went away for me once I realized the real enemies were Wendigos. A lot of well time jump scares that gotten me, even when I saw it coming.

A very enjoyable game. Something fun to sit back and 'relax' to and I hope a sequel is on its way.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Just stared to play this today with my brother. Got up to chapter 5. It's pretty great so far, a little slow but I am enjoying it.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Having QTEs that result in character deaths and not retry prompts makes them so much more impactful.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Things really start to pickup around that point. I actually really love how long the game takes to get to the horror. Not a lot of games do tension anymore.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Murgatroyd wrote: »

Outside of dialogue, there are QTE actions in at least one episode of The Wolf Among Us that I chose not to complete because of the projected outcome. Also (Telltale again) there are actions at the end of the farmhouse sequence in The Walking Dead, Season 1 that can determine other characters' opinions of you, based on how far you go with it.

Indigo Prophecy also had a bit where you shouldn't do the QTE. It was caused by possibly-imaginary insects. If you reacted, the detective would go "Why is this guy freaking out?", but if you skipped the QTE, you'd look less insane.

• Options
    Indigo Prophecy and that BS demo that got everyone hyped.

• Options
    Indigo Prophecy is one of my favorite games ever and I totally acknowledge that it's just goddamn stupid as fuck.

• Options
    Indigo Prophecy was one of the best first five or six chapters I've played in a video game

• Options
    How divergent is the plot in this game? Is it always the same basic plot with different characters dying?

• Options

You know, I don't think I agree with this. Your choices decide if characters live or die but it's very clear towards the end that even if you have a bunch of characters alive that they are essentially written out of the plot.

I understand there are limitations on a game like this but it's really too bad that you can't really determine who the final main characters are, you can just add characters to the survivors list but these characters lose all autonomy and no longer contribute to the plot so it's feels pretty unsatisfing.

Just beat it BTW,
    near perfect run. The esoteric sequence of desicions that saves Matt were not obvious at all so he got killed by Hanna in the mines.

I had a lot of fun with this game in places but it's short and I don't think the replayablity is that high. If you have access to Gamefly or a similar service this would be the perfect rent game. For $60 I don't know if it holds up.

• Options

You know, I don't think I agree with this. Your choices decide if characters live or die but it's very clear towards the end that even if you have a bunch of characters alive that they are essentially written out of the plot.

I understand there are limitations on a game like this but it's really too bad that you can't really determine who the final main characters are, you can just add characters to the survivors list but these characters lose all autonomy and no longer contribute to the plot so it's feels pretty unsatisfing.

Just beat it BTW,
    near perfect run. The esoteric sequence of desicions that saves Matt were not obvious at all so he got killed by Hanna in the mines.

I had a lot of fun with this game in places but it's short and I don't think the replayablity is that high. If you have access to Gamefly or a similar service this would be the perfect rent game. For $60 I don't know if it holds up.

I don't know what you mean. I felt like everybody contributed pretty evenly in the final act, if you have got a perfect run going.
    Jessica escapes the mines, with Matt's help. Granted, they were absent for a big chunk of the game, but that was kind of by necessity of where they are and what they have to work with. Jess is in really bad shape and Matt has literally nothing on him to help him navigate his way out.

Chris has the first face-to-face encounter with the wendigos and tells everybody about what they're like and capable of.

Emily also has an encounter with a wendigo, after discovering part of the truth of what happened to Hannah and Beth.

Josh is captured by a wendigo and if he survives, realizes that his sister has become one.

Ashley saves Chris from his encounter and is (potentially) an instigating factor in Mike pointing a gun at Emily; plus, she discovers the information about wendigos that gets Sam where she needs to be to help Mike and Josh out.

Mike and Sam work together to get everybody out of the lodge in the finale.

Everybody's got some role to play. I don't know why you believe everybody needs to have an equally large role for theirs to be important, but they've all got things to do that affect how the story turns out.

As for your spoiler, the sequence of decisions is actually not esoteric at all, if you collected all the totems. In fact, they explicitly tell you what you need to do to save him.

• Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    Josh needs some new friends.
    That little prank of theirs gets him and his sisters killed. Hope mom and dad can still bear more children. It's why I think a Josh only ending is the most appropriate.

reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    So, here's what I assume are spoilers but I'm only on Chapter 5 so it's guessing but whatever
    Josh is totally the psycho. I just spent 10 hours listening to Rami talk at me on Mr. Robot and I'm really good at recognizing voices. The psycho has the exact same cadence he does. I don't care that he just died, this is a slasher movie with a little of Jigsaw thrown in, he totes faked it. Also, he's into fire and so is the dude in the prologue.

Anyway, just a guess and there's gonna be way more going on
    There's obviously 2 people, the psycho and the person in the jacket and I figure there's some supernatural going on and with the Native American stuff and all the animals, I'm guessing wendigos/skinwalkers?

Gonna burn through a couple more chapters tonight and see if I can save everyone, even Emily who is the literal worst even though she's smart, she said "Unfollow" out loud so, again, THE WORST.

• Options
    It's amazing how well engineered the game is to make you hate Emily. And yet, there's a moment a bit later that will totally make you want to high five her. It's crazy.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Not sure what chapter I'm on, so probably not best to read if you're mid way through the game. The "horror" has kicked in now though.
    Josh has bit the dust thanks to a circular saw. Oddly despite seeing it I'm still not 100% convinced he's not the psycho. Going through all the evidence I picked up his Dad was a film maker, made a horror film, I can't help but feel maybe it was some sort of special effect. Same with some of the books flying off the shelf?

Jess also dropped down a mine shaft, missing presumed dead.

Thoroughly enjoying the game, wish I had more time to put in to it. I think when I finish it I'll probably be diving straight back in and playing differently!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I gotta admit, this is a game that wasn't even on my radar since I don't really go for horror/suspense games (the last time I played anything horror-like was Clive Barker's Undying...and I couldn't get through it), but I've been watching a LP from one of the YouTubers I regularly watch and it looks really interesting. Definitely not a game I'd play on my own (observing/hearing reactions is probably my favorite part of the LP), but now I'm curious about the different endings. From the way it's looking, Jackfrags is on the fast-track to a total-disaster run.

EDIT - well, whaddya know...he wrapped up his LP with everybody alive

...well, albeit...
    with Josh turning into a Wendigo. I mean, 'technically' he's still alive

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Not sure what chapter I'm on, so probably not best to read if you're mid way through the game. The "horror" has kicked in now though.
    Josh has bit the dust thanks to a circular saw. Oddly despite seeing it I'm still not 100% convinced he's not the psycho. Going through all the evidence I picked up his Dad was a film maker, made a horror film, I can't help but feel maybe it was some sort of special effect. Same with some of the books flying off the shelf?

Jess also dropped down a mine shaft, missing presumed dead.

Thoroughly enjoying the game, wish I had more time to put in to it. I think when I finish it I'll probably be diving straight back in and playing differently!
    What I want to know is what would have happened if you chose Emily. Would it go to Josh anyway?

• Options
    @Kadoken : Is that a spoiler that's actually going to spoil something for me, or a spoiler I can read at this point? :)

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    @Kadoken : Is that a spoiler that's actually going to spoil something for me, or a spoiler I can read at this point?

It's in a very gray area now that I think about it. It's not explicit about the game's future story, but if you thought on it for a while you might draw connections. So I would say don't.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    Kadoken wrote: »
    @Kadoken : Is that a spoiler that's actually going to spoil something for me, or a spoiler I can read at this point?

It's in a very gray area now that I think about it. It's not explicit about the game's future story, but if you thought on it for a while you might draw connections. So I would say don't.

I'll come back to it when I've finished :)

• Options
    Finally finished it, absolutely loved it all the way through. Spoilers abound below:
    Finished with two dead, Sam and jess. Pissed about Sam, it was the final "don't move" scenario and I swear to God I did not move, I don't know if the cat jumped on the sofa or what but that annoyed me. Jess I decided to run not hide.

Technically three died, poor wolfy, I didn't barricade the door and he was killed.

Josh became a wendigo, Emily hated Matt and Mike for pulling a gun on her.

I think I'm going to do a "let's see just how badly I can do" play through next.