As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sick Cat

AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
First and foremost, yes we have taken her to a vet, but so far they haven't found anything definitive, but I figure maybe someone has seen something similar before.

Our four year old house cat has recently started this really worrying behavior that has us freaked out. We're afraid it's like a stroke or a seizure or something.

I managed to get a video of it http://coolguy.me/12Irq

Basically she starts drooling very heavily, then she'll spin in a circle, and usually ends up peeing or pooping, like she's not in control.

It happened a couple times a few weeks ago, then stopped completely for a little over a week, but it's started back up again and it's at least once or twice a day.

After she goes through a fit, she's perfectly normal after. No changes to her diet or anything either. Vet gave us some nausea meds to try, and blood tests for liver issues came back negative.

Has anyone seen or heard of anything like this before?

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    It really sounds like a big seizure, but if a vet says it's not then I have no idea.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    StareosarusStareosarus Mrs. Lady Smart Hero FloridaRegistered User regular
    Vet had us try something different because the first time we brought her in and they did a blood draw, the results came back with elevated liver levels. She thought it could be something wrong with the pancreas given that, at the time, she was really only having drooling issues.

The spinning is a newer symptom, I had just taken her to the vet on Monday because the doctor wanted to do a follow up blood draw to check on her liver levels. We are calling the vet again tomorrow with the video since this was the first time we were really able to get a video of the cat's issue.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    I'm sorry :(

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    Looks like some kind of s seizure. Especially since from what you describe they come and go so quickly. Just because a vet (or doctor if you're human) can't find any cause for the seizure doesn't mean they aren't happening or that anti-seizure meds wont help.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A different vet might give a different diagnosis, try a second practice.

• Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    Are her pupils usually that blown? I can't really tell what the ambient light is in there, but they look mighty open to me.

Which suggests something neurologic with your kitty. She might have a parasite that's throwing something at her brain, whether it be clots or chunks of dead parasite or what have you. Is she all clear of heartworm?

Note, I'm not a vet.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I might take her to a different vet and see about getting a second opinion. Sometimes fresh eyes are a lot of help.

Creagan on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Just to clarify, the vet hadn't ruled out a seizure but was testing for other possible causes first. Hopefully we'll figure out our next step this morning.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Throwing my hat with seizure. Poor cat.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    could be some sort of stress reaction.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    StareosarusStareosarus Mrs. Lady Smart Hero FloridaRegistered User regular
    Just for an update, we did get some seizure medication for our cat yesterday. Vet is running a few more blood tests to rule things out, but the cat seems to be doing better so far. We might not get a root cause for what caused the seizures, but we're okay with this as long as the cat is doing better.