As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Screening movies for fun and/or profit

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
First, I'm in Canada.

What is the law/process for screening films at a business. For the public to attend for free and/or for a charge. These would be already released films. I'm assuming it's just about contacting the copyright holder, paying a fee? Has anyone already looked into this for their own business that can provide some advice?

Everything I am seeing online deals with schools/libraries as the screener.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Is renting a theater out of the question? It'll probably similar fee wise. I assume the business wants to drive... business so they want it on location?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Is renting a theater out of the question? It'll probably similar fee wise. I assume the business wants to drive... business so they want it on location?

Yes, it's a pretty unique location so that's part of the business case. I'm assuming it's not feasible after paying fees/royalties/whatever is required, considering the charge would need to be competitive with regular theatres. Just wanted some actual proof or at least terminology to support that assumption.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    This model is using A-list films mostly. Some that will be B-run by the time they want to show. Now I'm hearing they already did this research and it's $800 for a licence? This sounds wrong.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    That honestly seems cheap for a license, at least in the US. $200 to $1000 is the usual license (per event) I've seen (again, FL USA) unless there is a specific classification for the organization (Church showings, for example, are often cheaper).

Enc on
  • Options
    Enc wrote: »
    That honestly seems cheap for a license, at least in the US. $200 to $1000 is the usual license (per event) I've seen (again, FL USA) unless there is a specific classification for the organization (Church showings, for example, are often cheaper).

I found SWANK as a distributor, but they're in the US. There is a fee or 50% of ticket sales, whichever is greater. That's high if you're hoping to turn a profit. And you're not allowed to promote except in direct mail and on-site.

So it looks like Bowen's links are good starts, and I'll follow up with these guys to see what research they've done so far.

Thanks all.

• Options
    Yeah worst case they'll direct you to the guys who can give you an answer.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I work at a company that used to do this. The whole invite a bunch of fans/customers over to the office and watch a movie together. We did it free of charge to the customers and would provide pizza and soda, etc.

The last one (and I mean this in every sense of the word) one that we watched was Abrams' first Star Trek movie.

CBS, who owns Star Trek, was less than pleased and slapped us with a fine.

It should be noted that the company I work for actually HAS a license with CBS to make and sell Star Trek products....still...."here's your fine."

So, yea, I'd proceed with either 1) extreme caution or B) get ready to pay for approval.

And no, $800 isn't a lot.

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    I work at a company that used to do this. The whole invite a bunch of fans/customers over to the office and watch a movie together. We did it free of charge to the customers and would provide pizza and soda, etc.

The last one (and I mean this in every sense of the word) one that we watched was Abrams' first Star Trek movie.

CBS, who owns Star Trek, was less than pleased and slapped us with a fine.

It should be noted that the company I work for actually HAS a license with CBS to make and sell Star Trek products....still...."here's your fine."

So, yea, I'd proceed with either 1) extreme caution or B) get ready to pay for approval.

And no, $800 isn't a lot.

I'm expecting more like 5-10k, or 50-90% of ticket prices just for a single showing.

• Options
    Well:

Fee: $800
    Staff: $200

Charge $7.50 per ticket. Let's say $7.25 after merchant processing fees.

You would need to sell 140 tickets every night to break even. This being a "family friendly" initiative, let's say 60% of your customers will be children at a reduced rate. Even worse.

Not being able to promote the event makes that a pretty tall order for a regular event. From what I'm hearing it will be more than $800, so not sure this is the most realistic concept for this location.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    The university I work at does movie events like this and it is hella expensive and is always in the red. The only times of year they typically do this outside of SGA deciding to blow their non-carry forward accounts are when we have major attractions (like fairs or other big venues) that will make a ton of money with the extra attendance.

What you are talking about is essentially running a low-rent theater, which raises obvious problems to me in terms of potential fees and costs if you aren't getting a full time theater distribution license for each film.

Enc on
  • Options
    Figgy wrote: »
    Well:

You would need to sell 140 tickets every night to break even. This being a "family friendly" initiative, let's say 60% of your customers will be children at a reduced rate. Even worse.

Not being able to promote the event makes that a pretty tall order for a regular event. From what I'm hearing it will be more than $800, so not sure this is the most realistic concept for this location.

Or sell $5 popcorn and drinks to 85 people.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    Well:

Or sell $5 popcorn and drinks to 85 people.

And $5 is still a steal, as compared to what a big-name theater charges for snacks.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    At the same time, If I were going to a showing using a projector and a board room I would probably think that pretty expensive. Your miles may vary.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    At the same time, If I were going to a showing using a projector and a board room I would probably think that pretty expensive. Your miles may vary.

Yah, good point.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what exactly the business model/idea is here.

Most of the movie screenings I've gone to are either A)Free, B) Severely reduce in price or C) Offer an extra incentive for ticket prices (actor appearances, Q&A's, etc).

• Options
    Anyone have experience with Criterion? Yearly licence, unlimited viewings, can charge admission... what's the catch?

They even offer pre-release.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Most movie theaters make all their money off concessions, and little to none of ticket sales, due to all the licensing and restrictions.

• Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    Hey figgy, my name is Paul and I'm a former producer / editor / writer / media guy for Ebert Presents At The Movies on PBS - which was a movie review show and all that! So here's what I know:

EPK.TV to secure clips, contacts, and information on new and older movies.

Allied-THA for Major Films is who you're looking for.

Regarding Criterion, I'd contact they directly. Call Them. Call them again. Call them a Third Time.

Other then that - if you can figure out a way to do this for a charity or cause you believe in, you may have more luck. What specifically are you trying to do?