As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Credit Card Fraud

Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
So weird thing - I went to pay my credit card and found it was nearly at the limit due to a large charge at Target. It's exactly $180 which seems like a really exact figure for a charge (making me think giftcards since they aren't taxable). It was from Monday, a day I went from home to work to home so I know it wasn't me. However, my card claims it was done with my physical card, a card that hasn't left my side. I'm disputing it now, but how in the heck can that happen?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You could make a physical copy of a card.

Is this a debit card by chance? Card swiper on ATM machines isn't uncommon.

I think you're right on the gift card thing, that's a pretty exact amount and they're likely using the gift cards as a mechanism to launder is to their purchases become untrackable.

Basically:
    - Install card swiper on commonly used ATMs
    - Swipe a few hundred cards over the next few hours
    - Make a copy of the cards with a credit card machine
    - Use at target, get giftcards, maybe self checkout to draw less attention to the fake cards
    - Use the gift cards immediately the day after and hope no one's done a chargeback on it yet
    - hope no one can tie you to the giftcards/fake cards

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    It actually isn't a debit card, it's one of my actual credit cards and I've never used it as a debit card.

I've got my credit card with me and Target says they can search for receipts using it, so I'm going visit them after work.

So I'm guessing even though I have my card in hand, I need to get it cancelled/reissued as well.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Copying cards is as easy as swiping your card. It's not hard, and it's almost impossible to know when it was done because every time you give the card to anyone and they take it out of sight they could write down the info and use it any time before the expiration date. It's as easy as hooking a card reader/writer up to a computer by usb, then typing the info it a program and swiping the card to encode the info. Since stores stopped having cashiers handle cards thieves have used this a lot more since the card could even be a hotel key card or completely white with no markings and still wotk. This was a lot hard er to do when the card needed to actually look like a card and match the info. What you need to do is file a police report that won't go anywhere and call your bank and report the fraud.

The bank is required by law to give you the money back within 10 business days, but it's usually closer to 2 or 3 days. This is called a provisional credit, and it is your money as unless the bank decides the charge was not fraud, which you will have a chance to appeal if that does happen. You will be given a new card as well, so if you need money and can't make it to a branch soon go to the atm and withdraw the cash before calling the bank. When I worked credit card fraud I had to cancel the card the second you confirmed a transaction was fraudulent, it was not reversible, and at least half the people then bitched me out because they had no money and no way to get it. Please don't be like that when you call the bank, they are on your side but are constrained by law and bank policy.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Nah - this credit card isn't my debit card or anything, it's more an annoyance. Although it nearly put my Naturebox order at risk and I do enjoy my monthly snacks, that might have been upsetting. My bigger concern was their insistence that my card was present but that makes sense - Target is a store that doesn't make them look at your card for a transaction generally. Thanks for the info folks, I'm feeling a bit better.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    dude. Cutting off a guy's sriracha cashews is no laughing matter.

Your card company knows as well as we do that your "physical card" is a rectilinear solid of the cheapest, most abundant material other than human sorrow and can be duplicated with a 100$ attachment for a laser printer and that it means nothing the card was "physically" there.

You are legally not on the hook for this, but you may have to assert yourself pretty hard with your bank. Do you carry other loans (mortgage, car) with the same bank by any chance? Going into a branch and asking a "personal banker" what to do can net results if they are invested in your retention.

• Options
    Nope - their just my credit card company. No other connection to them. I was avoiding using it anyways, except for the aforementioned Naturebox and a few Christmas purchases, so it's not a biggie. I went back and I had used it at a restaurant a month or so ago and a few other physical places so one of those trips is probably the culprit.

Is it really even worth taking the steps to try to get Target to print me a receipt or should I just let them do their thing in fraud and handle it?

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Don't even bother with Target.

For $180 no one's even going to care. You shouldn't get any resistance from the bank.
    Call the bank, tell them it wasn't you. They'll cancel the card number (you don't really have a choice in this, once it's been used for fraud the number's no good).
    Most places will credit you on the spot, especially for amounts that low.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Nope - their just my credit card company. No other connection to them. I was avoiding using it anyways, except for the aforementioned Naturebox and a few Christmas purchases, so it's not a biggie. I went back and I had used it at a restaurant a month or so ago and a few other physical places so one of those trips is probably the culprit.

Is it really even worth taking the steps to try to get Target to print me a receipt or should I just let them do their thing in fraud and handle it?

Yeah, that one is probably the one.

Avoid using credit cards at restaurants unless they're fast food. It sucks, but that's where I've had mine stole twice. Turns out local restaurants hiring cheap college dropouts don't really have swell workers!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Yeah, that one is probably the one.

Avoid using credit cards at restaurants unless they're fast food. It sucks, but that's where I've had mine stole twice. Turns out local restaurants hiring cheap college dropouts don't really have swell workers!

It's really usually not this, it's far more likely to be someone who got a mass dump of numbers somewhere.

The solution is really to just keep a small limit card that won't get a thief far and live your life, if you ask me.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

go through the fraud division of your CC company, and report the fraudulent charge. They will issue you a new card and go from there.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular

go through the fraud division of your CC company, and report the fraudulent charge. They will issue you a new card and go from there.

This.

Call your CC. Instead of you having to run around and do all the work, let the 2 companies (Target/your CC) work it out. The transaction has to be proved to the CC company that you paid for it.

Wife disputed a charge on our CC for an online order we placed. The company we ordered from gave us a receipt and then charged a different amount. We disputed the whole thing, cancelled the order and got all the money back. Our CC was suprisingly helpful and had our back.

• Options
    I've already called the credit card this morning. They already have it marked on the website as disputed (of course not credited for it yet though.) I was going to go to Target but I'm realizing me playing Detective LiLo really isn't going to do anything but make me late for dinner.

• Options
    make sure you call the actual fraud side of things, not just customer service

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    You can try calling the police of the town the Target is in, and they may or may not take it upon themselves to try to catch the person who did it...by asking Target if they can hand over their security tape footage. Target may or may not comply.

I had this happen to me last year - my credit card had not left my side at all, save for two new restaurants that I had visited (one time each) over two months, for lunch...and somehow between those two places, my card info was skimmed, they made their own physical card, and racked up a few hundred dollars at two Staples stores in two towns (giftcards as well), and $183.something at a Rite Aid (HOW).

Pretty scary! But I filed a police report with the cops (who seemed bored by the whole thing, but managed to get the security footage of the two guys), and my credit card company refunded the charges, cancelled my card and issued a new one.

It may take a little while to credit you the damages, but I don't suspect you'll have any issue.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Depending on the financial institution that you have your card with, they usually provide what's considered a temporary credit during the course of their investigation. Typically in Reg E situations it has to be within 10 days if a resolution is not available right off the bat. However, credit cards fall under a different set of regs, which is great for you because when it comes to fraud, it favors the cardholder more than the merchant.

Be on the lookout for any paperwork that they send you, a good majority of claims that i've seen of this nature are denied merely because of the fact that there wasn't a written statement returned. Also, don't bother with the merchant here, the sales draft they pull more than likely only has a squigly line instead of a sig.

You are on the right track already, and resolution should be quick. You do not have to go to the police unless it's continuing to happen, then ID theft may be a possibility.

Good times.

Noizlanif on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

If you have a chip card, and the purchase was done as a pin and chip transaction, then it's going to be tough proving it's not you. If it was swipe and sign, it shouldn't be a problem.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.