As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. - Final Smash Direct Dec. 15th @ 2pm PST

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Should have done an all bob-omb tournament for the 4th.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

"Celebrate the independence of your country by blowing up a small part of it."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    "Oh, hey [character] is pretty fun! I think I can play as this character!"
    *Fights literally anyone online. Any human*
    "Oh wait! I forgot that I'm terrible! Oops!"

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Give me one without a sword, and we'll talk.

Now I'll give you someone with a polearm (the people on Smash Boards are suggesting the lady from the new game) but I'm a little confused how someone with an axe will be all that different than someone with a sword? I mean, they'll pretty much just be slashing and swing their weapon.

I get though that an axe user would be aesthetically different from a Fire Emblem sword character. But you know be really aesthetically different? A character not from Fire Emblem (or Mario, or Pokemon, or Zelda, or Kid Icarus...)

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Anybody wanna play a few games? @Wyborn? @Speed Racer? Anyone??

edit: they don't post in this thread do they

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    I'm not one of the people directly rallying for Hector, so Axes in particular aren't on my list. There's just alot more in Fire Emblem than heroes with swords. Archers, mages, spearmn, armored knights, dragon-riders, dragons, etc. Robin was a step in the right direction (still a sword, but a lot of focus placed on magic, and the durability system).

for similar reasons, I kind of wish we could have someone like Duster or Jeff as a Mother rep. However, I do acknowledge and enjoy the fact that Lucas basically represents himself (normals), Kumatora (Specials), and Duster (Rope Snake) in one go.

• Options
    I so like Robin. That's the only Fire Emblem character I play as. I guess the problem is the same problem any game series with multiple protagonists has is that they always stick to the main characters. The only one he seems to break that rule with is Pokemon.

And it would be cool if Jeff and Kumatora were added as extra Mother reps, that will probably never happen. We're lucky we got Lucas back.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

Am I too late? I'm up for some stuff.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    I so like Robin. That's the only Fire Emblem character I play as. I guess the problem is the same problem any game series with multiple protagonists has is that they always stick to the main characters. The only one he seems to break that rule with is Pokemon.

And it would be cool if Jeff and Kumatora were added as extra Mother reps, that will probably never happen. We're lucky we got Lucas back.

Well, they had the main character in Brawl, and Pikachu is the face of the series really.

A dancer class assist trophy would be neat, but there's like no way to make the mechanic work.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular

Am I too late? I'm up for some stuff.

Whoops, sorry! I ended up playing against somebody from the other thread.

Are we friends, though? Add me for next time.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

Pikachu, jigglypuff, charizard, and lucario practically are the main characters. They're way more popular than the trainers.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    They're the face of the series, and occasionally the main characters of spinoffs.

They're like Chocobo in that way.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Literally one holiday event has successfully happened.

I'll be out of the house on the 4th anyways

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Literally one holiday event has successfully happened.

I'll be out of the house on the 4th anyways

Nintendo's banking on it for Splatoon, though. Of course, they have a bigger pool to work with.

• Options
    If that tournament mode was out, this wouldn't be a problem. Just set up one of those ones that run over a certain span of time and just be done with it.

post.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Are they hosting tournaments for other age brackets as well? I kind of miss Nintendo's two tournaments that they hosted last year.

And yes, I am aware of the greater Smash community's tournaments that seem to be held every other week. I'm just specifically curious about Nintendo's, they had a fun atmosphere.

post.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    If that tournament mode was out, this wouldn't be a problem. Just set up one of those ones that run over a certain span of time and just be done with it.
    I swear I have to explain this multiple times each thread.

Traditionally, Smash's Tournament mode is bad. It pretty much locks you into a character and single elimination, and it it had very few options. It was not at all suited for the kind of things people wanted to do in tournaments.

Now, Smash 4 may be different. In fact, I wonder why they would even bother spending 6+ months developing this mode if it was the same bare bones offering as in Melee and Brawl. I am definitely willing to utilize it for stuff, but I'm not holding my breath that Sakurai really knows what competitive players are looking for in tournaments. I mean, he might and just doesn't care, which is fine but if Challonge is better than I'm going to stick with Challonge.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Oh no, I was implying a bracketed mode. I meant the one they've shown that seems to be based on wins or something over time. Like, you set it to run over the holiday weekend, and would only be for fun. Make it Bob-ombs only for the 4th of July, like was mentioned above. I didn't mean use this for actual, serious tournaments. Just for people to have fun doing on either a holiday or when a tournament isn't happening.

Here's the thing I am talking about, called Tourneys instead of Tournaments:

https://youtu.be/j0BBGzfw0pQ?t=27m4s

Starts at 27:00 if the link doesn't work for that.

post.png
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    So the gamestop that we've been hosting various tournaments at will be closing at the end of the month, and we have an opportunity to do a final smash event!

Currently I want to do something way out of the box, and my current idea is to base it off the Nintendo world championships event and how they did some of it. It'll basically end up being triple elimination, which might sound excessive, but here's what I'm thinking so far:

The first rounds will he various games of smash 4, mainly depending on player count, but ealy on it'll probably be 8 man smash, hopefully 4v4, if not then 2v2v2. People who get defeated will drop to a lower tier and they will play an older smash game. After some of those players get eliminated, they'll go down to the final tier which they will have to play some kind of event to stay alive. This will include things like trophy rush, home run contest, break the targets, or one of melee's event matches. I've also considered some player made types of special smash games, like Smash Fighter (flat custom levels with smash balls on, stamina mode, to simulate street fighter a bit more)

The other smash games will be project m, melee, and smash 64. I'll spare anyone from brawl.

If anyone has any suggestions for me regarding a tournament like this, let me know. As I really want this last one at this location to be a uniquely fun one.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Nothing says fun like mandatory party hats

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    dav3yb wrote: »
    So the gamestop that we've been hosting various tournaments at will be closing at the end of the month, and we have an opportunity to do a final smash event!

Currently I want to do something way out of the box, and my current idea is to base it off the Nintendo world championships event and how they did some of it. It'll basically end up being triple elimination, which might sound excessive, but here's what I'm thinking so far:

The first rounds will he various games of smash 4, mainly depending on player count, but ealy on it'll probably be 8 man smash, hopefully 4v4, if not then 2v2v2. People who get defeated will drop to a lower tier and they will play an older smash game. After some of those players get eliminated, they'll go down to the final tier which they will have to play some kind of event to stay alive. This will include things like trophy rush, home run contest, break the targets, or one of melee's event matches. I've also considered some player made types of special smash games, like Smash Fighter (flat custom levels with smash balls on, stamina mode, to simulate street fighter a bit more)

The other smash games will be project m, melee, and smash 64. I'll spare anyone from brawl.

If anyone has any suggestions for me regarding a tournament like this, let me know. As I really want this last one at this location to be a uniquely fun one.

Why do you feel the need to keep multiple versions of the game running? Just stick to Smash for Wii U.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Nothing says fun like mandatory party hats

Hey, I like party hats.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Oh hey if you can get a bunch of 3dses you could feature smash run

CD World Tour status:
  • Options

Why do you feel the need to keep multiple versions of the game running? Just stick to Smash for Wii U.

Mostly because of interest in having more melee/pm events. We start with some PM, and it to this day is my favorite smash, along with a few of my friends who would love to see it show up again. We've done some Smash 4 only, and that was the original plan, but I don't think smash 4 alone would warrant anything special like i have in mind. As of right now, this might be the very last tournament we run for a while, so I want to cover a lot of what I know people have voiced interest in.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options

Mostly because of interest in having more melee/pm events. We start with some PM, and it to this day is my favorite smash, along with a few of my friends who would love to see it show up again. We've done some Smash 4 only, and that was the original plan, but I don't think smash 4 alone would warrant anything special like i have in mind. As of right now, this might be the very last tournament we run for a while, so I want to cover a lot of what I know people have voiced interest in.

It still seems overly complicated to me, but to each their own. Personally I'd stick to one game, be it SSB, Melee, Brawl, or SSB4, and go with that. Jumping around between consoles and games seems like more trouble than its worth.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular

It still seems overly complicated to me, but to each their own. Personally I'd stick to one game, be it SSB, Melee, Brawl, or SSB4, and go with that. Jumping around between consoles and games seems like more trouble than its worth.

Its not that uncommon at Smash tournaments though. At least not the ones I'm familiar with.

• Options

If you watched the Nitendo World Championships Nintendo did before E3 kicked off, it wont be any more complicated than that. Everything will be planned out pretty well in advance, as i've got till the 25th to get everything laid out how I'll want it. The main limiting factor might be time, depending on how many people show up, but the last time we did it, we had about 16 show up on a saturday and did a team and singles even in about 5 to 6 hours. Also one issue that might hurt the time will be console availability. Wii's and Wii U's are pretty much covered, but I'm currently the only one i know with an N64 and smash. But the Smash 64 events will probably come later, or at the lower tiers when things are not going be taking as long.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    McFlynn wrote: »

Its not that uncommon at Smash tournaments though. At least not the ones I'm familiar with.

There were plenty of Melee/Brawl tourneys back in the day.

Also, I have no idea why you would 'spare anyone from brawl' and still have them play 64, the most broken ass one of them all.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options

If you watched the Nitendo World Championships Nintendo did before E3 kicked off, it wont be any more complicated than that. Everything will be planned out pretty well in advance, as i've got till the 25th to get everything laid out how I'll want it. The main limiting factor might be time, depending on how many people show up, but the last time we did it, we had about 16 show up on a saturday and did a team and singles even in about 5 to 6 hours. Also one issue that might hurt the time will be console availability. Wii's and Wii U's are pretty much covered, but I'm currently the only one i know with an N64 and smash. But the Smash 64 events will probably come later, or at the lower tiers when things are not going be taking as long.

Then instead of multiple versions of Smash, why not Smash, Mario Kart 8, and fuck, I dunno, Nintendoland?

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    McFlynn wrote: »

There were plenty of Melee/Brawl tourneys back in the day.

Also, I have no idea why you would 'spare anyone from brawl' and still have them play 64, the most broken ass one of them all.

Well 64 is not deliberately dumbed down like brawl is, with its super slow play and tripping nonsense. I don't think many people, including myself, are going to be doing any crazy Isai level's of shit in Smash64 anyways, so it'll just be a way to get people to play the game a bit. Smash 64 i dont feel also will be used as much for actual fighting as it will be for the Break the Targets and Board the Platforms modes.

Then instead of multiple versions of Smash, why not Smash, Mario Kart 8, and fuck, I dunno, Nintendoland?

... because its a Smash tournament? If it were just some general gaming tournament, then sure, but Smash is what this area likes, and I just want to mix it up a bit. I could easly just drag my NES down there and have everyone play my reproduction copy of NWC 1990, but that sounds kinda lame in this context.

• Options
    Seems like it's a tournament to commemorate all their smash tournaments

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Playing 64 after playing Melee will feel like driving a tank with your dick.

Aside from tripping, which is bullshit, Brawl is a fine game.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Playing 64 after playing Melee will feel like driving a tank with your dick.

Aside from tripping, which is bullshit, Brawl is a fine game.

And there's still a slim chance i'll let brawl into some spots. I just have such a hard-on for Project M that i want to give it all of my love. (also going back to a lot of N64 games feels like that)

Smash 64 is mainly there to throw a curveball at people, its familiar enough a game that it shouldn't be too massively bad for people, and I've at least got enough controllers for it that it wont be an issue.

dav3yb on
  • Options
    Dude, I am telling you, I played smash 64 while I was in my prime as a competitive Brawler and the controls felt like wading through a swamp of molasses. It is slow as fuck. And if anyone is 'good' at that game, they are just going to one hit combo you to death.

• Options
    Seems fine as an elimination round

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Xavier1216Xavier1216 Bagu is my name. Show my note to river man. Greater Boston AreaRegistered User regular
    Melee is still my favorite of the series, but I love to dive back into Smash 64 every once in a while. But I'm by no means a competitive player, either.

SMMB_Xavier1216_Large_zpscdweorm9.png
    PSN: PLD_Xavier | NNID: Xavier1216
  • Options
    Dude, I am telling you, I played smash 64 while I was in my prime as a competitive Brawler and the controls felt like wading through a swamp of molasses. It is slow as fuck. And if anyone is 'good' at that game, they are just going to one hit combo you to death.

I've played the game since launch, and although the controls are awkward, I don't think there that bad. I'm mainly going to be using it for the break the targets as I said, but there might be some 1v1 stuff later down the road when the field has thinned.

• Options
    You know how Melee has a mechanic that lets you reduce landing lag, commonly called L-canceling?

64 has it too, except it's called Z-canceling. And it removes landing lag. Link's down air is not a liability. People can break shields with Mario's down air.

And also there's the whole "Oh you got hit by Jiggs/Pikachu put down your controller cause you lost a stock"

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    In 64, everyone's back throw is Ness's back throw.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
This discussion has been closed.