As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon Age: Inquisition] - Jaws Of Hakkon DLC out now for PC, XONE - others in May

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Reminds me of Qeynos in Everquest. (Sony EQ backwards...)

...mindblown.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Also Lothering is L O the Ring.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Also Lothering is L O the Ring.

GAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Also as long as they continue to produce SICKASS trailers for their DLC BioWare can take however long they need to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mevZerJGQ0U

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Just killed the last of the high dragons. Not particularly sure how I feel about it. I feel like I just committed genocide of an ancient and majestic race. Some of them were posing a clear danger to people, but most weren't. BioWare does a decent job of making it feel pretty morally ambiguous to slaughter them all.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Astale wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Actually DA2 did receive quite a few patches in the first few months. Just that once they moved on to Inquisition they left most of the other bugs as is.

The problem is that all software contains an infinite amount of bugs. Or maybe the problem is that people don't like subscription fees for non-MMOs. That's the one nice thing about free to play games.

I must have missed the part where DA2 had a subscription fee.

My thought process was that sales of single player games start trailing off, so developers don't have monetary incentive to maintain them instead of working on new stuff. Unlike games with subs and games with micro-transactions.

The incentive is keeping your fan base happy and continue to buy your new games. If you're known for a mess of a game at launch, people won't buy your game out of the gate, and wait for you to fix your game's dumb problems.

I'm pretty sure me and plenty of others said 'Fuck Off' to Bethesda after they continued to not fix their shit Gamebryo engine after 4 or 5 titles.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Astale wrote: »
    Actually DA2 did receive quite a few patches in the first few months. Just that once they moved on to Inquisition they left most of the other bugs as is.

The problem is that all software contains an infinite amount of bugs. Or maybe the problem is that people don't like subscription fees for non-MMOs. That's the one nice thing about free to play games.

I must have missed the part where DA2 had a subscription fee.

My thought process was that sales of single player games start trailing off, so developers don't have monetary incentive to maintain them instead of working on new stuff. Unlike games with subs and games with micro-transactions.

The incentive is keeping your fan base happy and continue to buy your new games. If you're known for a mess of a game at launch, people won't buy your game out of the gate, and wait for you to fix your game's dumb problems.

I'm pretty sure me and plenty of others said 'Fuck Off' to Bethesda after they continued to not fix their shit Gamebryo engine after 4 or 5 titles.

No, not really. The number of people who said "fuck off" to Bethesda is minuscule compared to the number of people who continue to purchase Bethesda games because despite their bugs, they are amazing play experiences. You are greatly over estimating how seriously many people take game bugs. This is especially true since Bethesda games have always been hyper moddable, and if Bethesda themselves can't fix a quest or scripting bug, the community will fix it in short order.

If you skipped games like Skyrim out of some stubborn anger at Bethesda for continuing to use a buggy (but incredibly complex and moddable) engine, you did far more harm to your own gaming experience than you did Bethesda's wallet. Case in point, just a couple of months ago when I looked, Skyrim was still the fourth most played game on Steam, after Dota 2, CS:GO and Portal.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Skyrim sold 20 million copies and is one of the best selling games of all time.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »

I'm perfectly willing to go through life believing there are 20 million wrong people out there.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Some bug fixes also irritate me.

Like the extremely exploitable ones.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular

I'm perfectly willing to go through life believing there are 20 million wrong people out there.

If loving Skyrim is wrong, I don't want to be right.

• Options

If loving Skyrim is wrong, I don't want to be right.

I don't really have an issue with people liking the games Bethesda makes, but you can at least admit they are utter shit at patching their own engine. I give them props for working very hard to get Skyrim working on all platforms well, it only took them two years of patching to get it right.

You know what the most reliable game running the Gamebryo engine is? Catherine. A small Japanese developer made it work better than Bethesda ever has.

ANYWAY, back on topic. Can someone tell me if the dragon fight you can skip with a dialogue option, is that one of the dragons you have to defeat for the trophy?

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    ANYWAY
    Yup!
    Can someone tell me if the dragon fight you can skip with a dialogue option, is that one of the dragons you have to defeat for the trophy?
    There is (or at least there was, but probably is) a bug where you had to kill 11 dragons for the trophy. Only 10 are normally available, the 11th only sometimes shows up because of story reasons. This can be gotten around by killing one of the regular 10 twice.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    ANYWAY
    Yup!
    Can someone tell me if the dragon fight you can skip with a dialogue option, is that one of the dragons you have to defeat for the trophy?
    There is (or at least there was, but probably is) a bug where you had to kill 11 dragons for the trophy. Only 10 are normally available, the 11th only sometimes shows up because of story reasons. This can be gotten around by killing one of the regular 10 twice.

If that was a bug on PC, it's not any more -- I got the trophy without having that particular story fight.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Does anyone ever manage to kill Demon Commanders? The whole teleport-stunlock thing seems to preclude that possibility.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Ranged attacks definitely help, but I've soloed one as a Reaver before as well.

If you're not hosting it can be difficult to get out of the way of it, but it has a very simple rotation it adheres to.

1) Burrows
    2) Pop out under enemy with highest threat
    3) Melee attack them a few times
    4) AoE fear
    5) Burrow
    6) Appear a medium distance away and shoot at highest threat enemy
    7) GOTO 1)

If you stay mobile during the step 1 Burrow, it is entirely possible to dodge its huge damage pop-out.

If whomever has the the highest threat on the demon commander is running away it will chase them for a little while before skipping step 3 and just doing step 4.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Just killed the last of the high dragons. Not particularly sure how I feel about it. I feel like I just committed genocide of an ancient and majestic race. Some of them were posing a clear danger to people, but most weren't. BioWare does a decent job of making it feel pretty morally ambiguous to slaughter them all.

You did not commit genocide on high dragons any more than an exterminator commits genocide on cockroaches. Dragons are an invasive pest species, they will always come back.

The only thing you can do is trim the hedges from time to time.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Does anyone ever manage to kill Demon Commanders? The whole teleport-stunlock thing seems to preclude that possibility.

All the time

I can actually solo it on most of my characters in Routine difficulty and I've watched a Reaver solo it on Threatening.

The keys is very much what Oats said. Know it's rotation, know where it's at in it's rotation and it's not too hard as long as you don't get screwed by lag. Personally I prefer to clear all trash before focusing on the Demon Commander as well because it's easy to kite while you do so and the DC becomes a much easier fight once it's all you have to focus on.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Didn't they nerf the Demon Commander? Don't think he's anywhere as bad as he used to be.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Didn't they nerf the Demon Commander? Don't think he's anywhere as bad as he used to be.

I don't think so? They might have tweaking the timing on the ground burst a little but that's so hard to judge with latency.

I mean he is absolutely a lot easier than he used to be for me but I think that's mostly gear and a little experience. Taking him down in the beginning was almost impossible but with my gear now I can reliably down him myself unless I end up with a terrible host.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    I believe he got a slight nerf to the pop up attack at least so it wouldn't be an instakill on almost everyone.

Probably still kills softer characters though.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    His fear is like three seconds long now. It used to be significantly longer.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Yeah that was a much needed change.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah they drastically reduced the damage in the pop up

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I think if Bioware can't fix the multiplayer crashing at the end of a session, then they REALLY need to change the way the reward system is set up.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    bioware's next foray into dragon age needs to be just about dragon hunting. the hardest moral choice i want to make is whether or not to bring a group of people that are the dragon equivalent to Peta on a safari with me and instead use them as bait because dragons give zero fucks about whether tasty snacks are trying to save them or not.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Also, put a fucking chat in the game. Like, holy shit. Hit enter, put in text that your party can see. That's super, super basic. New people don't know the strategy to have one person run up and place the banner while the rest of the party is in a defensible position. It would just be SUPER AWESOME to be able to tell them to do that.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    Also, put a fucking chat in the game. Like, holy shit. Hit enter, put in text that your party can see. That's super, super basic. New people don't know the strategy to have one person run up and place the banner while the rest of the party is in a defensible position. It would just be SUPER AWESOME to be able to tell them to do that.

Having even a single person in the party with a headset helps a lot to hold things together, even if they aren't necessarily leading the party.

• Options
    Honestly I don't use headsets with pubs even though I have one because the grand majority of them tend to be misogynist racist homophobic mouthbreathers.

Or just really fucking annoying.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    OK DAMP question (man I can't believe that's the acronym but what the hell).

Is there a benefit in crafting all armor sets? Or should I just focus on blue sets and unlocking the remaining classes? Also...do you use your upgrades or just salvage everything?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    OK DAMP question (man I can't believe that's the acronym but what the hell).

Is there a benefit in crafting all armor sets? Or should I just focus on blue sets and unlocking the remaining classes? Also...do you use your upgrades or just salvage everything?

The boost in defense is minimal across most armor so just pick the one that looks nicest.

Also I only keep the nice upgrades. Scrap the rest.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    The only two reasons to craft armors are to either change appearance or remove it from the RNG pool. On Perilous 64 armor as opposed to 57 armor doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I just started playing this and am really enjoying the large crafted world to explore. Kind of wished they'd gone back to the first Dragon Age's combat system, but this one's is acceptable.

One somewhat minor issue I have with fantasy games like this -- how do people who've never met one another immediately recognize someone? People recognize the protagonist on sight. Obviously it's narrative shorthand -- going through the motions every time would get tiresome. Still, you'd think even many famous people would be unrecognizable to a passerby. My character should be just another elf to virtually everyone. It's probably a cognitive bias from the era of photography or something. No way is a description going to allow someone to recognize me like a photograph would.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    You got a hand that glows green all the time.

If you ain't hiding it, you're probably pretty obvious.

CowShark on
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »
    I just started playing this and am really enjoying the large crafted world to explore. Kind of wished they'd gone back to the first Dragon Age's combat system, but this one's is acceptable.

One somewhat minor issue I have with fantasy games like this -- how do people who've never met one another immediately recognize someone? People recognize the protagonist on sight. Obviously it's narrative shorthand -- going through the motions every time would get tiresome. Still, you'd think even many famous people would be unrecognizable to a passerby. My character should be just another elf to virtually everyone. It's probably a cognitive bias from the era of photography or something. No way is a description going to allow someone to recognize me like a photograph would.

It depends on the context. When you're just out killing random things, then yeah, you have a point. But in general, the fact that you're an elf actually helps the story. Elves generally are not of high station, so if you see an elf walking around that everyone is looking at, respecting, deferring to, etc, who else is that going to be?

I played an elf and that's how I thought of it, at any rate.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    CowShark wrote: »

Does it? I haven't noticed that. Makes sense if that's the case.

It depends on the context. When you're just out killing random things, then yeah, you have a point. But in general, the fact that you're an elf actually helps the story. Elves generally are not of high station, so if you see an elf walking around that everyone is looking at, respecting, deferring to, etc, who else is that going to be?

Maybe. Surely 'elf' is still a pretty low common denominator and there must be other prestigious elves. I guess people could figure it out, but so far several people have recognized me immediately and with certainty.

It's not a major flaw as far as I'm concerned, but I find it interesting how it's usually glossed over in games and most players don't seem to question it.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular

You're not just walking around by yourself (okay, with a couple friends) as some person in the woods.

Notice how you find a camping spot and suddenly there's a full campsite there with soldiers and everything? And you can also claim entire areas as belonging to your movement.

The game doesn't render it most of the time, but you have an entourage that's wearing uniforms and carrying banners.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

If you skipped games like Skyrim out of some stubborn anger at Bethesda for continuing to use a buggy (but incredibly complex and moddable) engine, you did far more harm to your own gaming experience than you did Bethesda's wallet. Case in point, just a couple of months ago when I looked, Skyrim was still the fourth most played game on Steam, after Dota 2, CS:GO and Portal.

so it's basically #1 for single player. Skryim was so ridiculous awesome-- the combat was kind of "loose"?, but whatever, everything else was sweet as fuck

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    CowShark wrote: »

Does it? I haven't noticed that. Makes sense if that's the case.

Maybe. Surely 'elf' is still a pretty low common denominator and there must be other prestigious elves. I guess people could figure it out, but so far several people have recognized me immediately and with certainty.

It's not a major flaw as far as I'm concerned, but I find it interesting how it's usually glossed over in games and most players don't seem to question it.

Not really

Elves in Dragon Age are pretty much either slaves, poors or loony murderous forest dwellers

News probably travels a little too fast in the Dragon Age setting when you think about it but an Elf that doesn't fall into the above categories (let alone being the chose of the divine) being extremely noteworthy would be pretty consistent interally

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Reminds me of Qeynos in Everquest. (Sony EQ backwards...)

...mindblown.

Hah. You really did not know that? It is also pronounced Key nos. Found that out in the EQ2 video. I bet everyone was pronouncing it Quy nos.

I really wanted to like EQ2, but is was dodgy as hell when it first came out.

Krathoon on
This discussion has been closed.