As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Printer Ink conservation

benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a lexmark all-in-one printer (I don't think the model really matters). It uses a "1" ink which is just one cartridge for black and color.

I'm assuming that to make the black ink, the cartridge uses all the colors to make black.

Under that assumption, it would be true that if I were to print color rather than black/white, I would conserve ink overall.

Is this true?

benz0rs on

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    It's probably one cartridge that contains CMYK. So black is a separate ink.

Doc on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    CMYK printing uses a mix of all colors (rich black) to make black; this is done because the ink used in CMYK printing is not black enough to stand on its own and appears dark gray. Many programs and printer drivers include an option to restrict printing to only black inks for this reason.

But if you do print in color to save ink, you’ll have to keep switching your printed color or you’ll just run out of whatever color you’re using before using up the rest, and need a new ink cartridge anyway.

If ink cost is hurting you consider picking up a cheap color laser printer (or even just a B&W one!). I do a LOT of printing, and so far I’ve only had to replace my black toner cartridge once in over a year at a cost of $90—less than I used to spend on ink in a month.

supabeast on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    And Lexmark printers usually go for cheap, but the prices on their cartridges are murder.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Actually, there's no black ink (K) at all in those cartridges, just Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. They're mixed to create what is called "composite black". In certain lights, it can take on a bit of a blue tint. (At least, I've seen a couple imperfect models do that). The solution to switch to laser is probably the best advice here. Supabeast is right, in that it's likely that if you decide, for example, to start printing what you need in magenta, you'll run out of that first and have to replace the cartridge if you do need to produce black, or another color needing magenta to make. You may want to check to see if you can buy just a black cartridge for your printer. Several models that come with just one cartridge slot and a half-filled color to fill it will also have a black-only as an available replacement.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    embrik wrote: »
    Actually, there's no black ink (K) at all in those cartridges, just Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. They're mixed to create what is called "composite black". In certain lights, it can take on a bit of a blue tint. (At least, I've seen a couple imperfect models do that). The solution to switch to laser is probably the best advice here. Supabeast is right, in that it's likely that if you decide, for example, to start printing what you need in magenta, you'll run out of that first and have to replace the cartridge if you do need to produce black, or another color needing magenta to make. You may want to check to see if you can buy just a black cartridge for your printer. Several models that come with just one cartridge slot and a half-filled color to fill it will also have a black-only as an available replacement.

Jesus, they are always finding new ways to fuck over customers on ink cartridges.

Doc on