As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cuba-American Relations. Obama Visits Cuba!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Obama just padding that paragraph now.

Still this is awesome news going forward.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I'm honestly surprised, with how fervently the right loves to stroke their cold war boners, that progress has been as fast as it has been.

edit
    Also in other news, Cuba has apparently 100% eliminated Mother to child HIV transmission.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

Even Geth agrees!

Seriously, this may not quite be "Nixon goes to China" but it is a major event in Obama's presidency, one that I would not have expected seven years ago and am quite happy to see.

• Options
    frenetic_ferretfrenetic_ferret wildest weasel East Coast is Best CoastRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

Even Geth agrees!

Seriously, this may not quite be "Nixon goes to China" but it is a major event in Obama's presidency, one that I would not have expected seven years ago and am quite happy to see.

I'm taking this as a sort of "wait and see". Nixon to China was great from a national security standpoint, of course it lead to everything being made by cheap Chinese labor. When ever anything that seems socially or culturally liberal passes, look around for who's getting rich off it and which group of workers are about to be destroyed... then you see who really got it done.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »

Even Geth agrees!

I'm taking this as a sort of "wait and see". Nixon to China was great from a national security standpoint, of course it lead to everything being made by cheap Chinese labor. When ever anything that seems socially or culturally liberal passes, look around for who's getting rich off it and which group of workers are about to be destroyed... then you see who really got it done.

Yes, that's Obama's end game - shipping all the labor to Cuba. That dastardly fiend!

• Options
    If anyone gets something disproportionate out of this deal it will be the US getting some of that sweet cuban medical technology. I believe they have some cancer treatments our doctors would love to get a hold of.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    If anyone gets something disproportionate out of this deal it will be the US getting some of that sweet cuban medical technology. I believe they have some cancer treatments our doctors would love to get a hold of.

We wouldn't have gotten them from another country that didn't have asinine Cuba policy?

Though I suppose medical research is one area the US remains on top in.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    There are three industries that will benefit: medicine, travel, and baseball.

• Options
    All of Florida and Cuba will benefit. Cuban expats aside, there are an amazing amount of trade and work opportunities between our two countries that would greatly benefit eachother both ways. Legal cuban imports will lower our stranglehold by the old-school sugar plantation class here in Florida, allowing other industries to have greater lobbying power. Greater tourism between the two countries will likely see Cubans coming to the theme parks and Floridians going to Havana for inexpensive tourism industries. Florida is already becoming the center of the medical field for the country, and this will only help that long term.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    All of Florida and Cuba will benefit. Cuban expats aside, there are an amazing amount of trade and work opportunities between our two countries that would greatly benefit eachother both ways. Legal cuban imports will lower our stranglehold by the old-school sugar plantation class here in Florida, allowing other industries to have greater lobbying power. Greater tourism between the two countries will likely see Cubans coming to the theme parks and Floridians going to Havana for inexpensive tourism industries. Florida is already becoming the center of the medical field for the country, and this will only help that long term.

Yeah, I'm incredibly excited about the economic possibilities for our state here.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

We wouldn't have gotten them from another country that didn't have asinine Cuba policy?

Though I suppose medical research is one area the US remains on top in.

I believe cuba specifically forbid it going to the US. Which would make sense, because fuck our backwards policy towards their country. Cuba is not the land of milk and honey, but us holding a grudge that we failed to overthrow their government is pretty childish, its like the US and Iran.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Via reddit. Kind of a surreal picture.

Ith4Fzo.jpg

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Here's one that's more surreal:

gettyimages516833516.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Indeed. It immediately reminded me of the INF Treaty in 1988.

3bdb146b0b7308a8725f8bf8af09e7e3.jpg

Of course, who knows where well be in two years, or ten years, with Cuba, but surreal nonetheless.

• Options
    RTSBI1H.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

And then there's Obama and Castro meeting at the Palace of the Revolution, which looks like you almost expect Ellen DeGeneres to walk in from the right at any moment.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    [im g]http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_slatest/2016/03/21/president_obama_shakes_raul_castro_s_hand_in_havana_cuba/RTSBI1H.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg[/img]

And then there's Obama and Castro meeting at the Palace of the Revolution, which looks like you almost expect Ellen DeGeneres to walk in from the right at any moment.

How long before Fox news runs 24 hour coverage of Obama surrendering America to Cuba because it could maybe, possibly, if you squint, looks like Obama is bowing to Castro.

• Options
    I am so stoaked about this, I can't even.

Reopening of FL-Cuba relations is the biggest thing to come out of... well anything that actually effects me on a daily basis. I know people who are about to be actively communicating directly via mail with relatives for the first time in waaaay too long.

So cool.

Also soon: Havana Mystery Vacation!

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    [im g]http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_slatest/2016/03/21/president_obama_shakes_raul_castro_s_hand_in_havana_cuba/RTSBI1H.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg[/img]

How long before Fox news runs 24 hour coverage of Obama surrendering America to Cuba because it could maybe, possibly, if you squint, looks like Obama is bowing to Castro.

I thought I was going crazy thinking that, but apparently we're crazy brother buttcleft.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    RTSBI1H.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

Oh no. They're freaking out over the Che picture.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    A scene was described over the radio where Obama and Castro finished a Q&A session. Castro then took Obama's arm and tried to raise the President's hand like a victor at a boxing match. Obama, just wanting a handshake, didn't want to go along with this and remained limp. Is there video of this?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    castro_wide-3c9aa9795b9ec4f4c52606b6b2d530c6aa13dcc5-s1100-c15.jpg

Oh Cuba-US relations, you so funny

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Oh my. The news report I watched stated that the press conference was uncomfortable, but they didn't show that.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Reopening of FL-Cuba relations is the biggest thing to come out of... well anything that actually effects me on a daily basis. I know people who are about to be actively communicating directly via mail with relatives for the first time in waaaay too long.

So cool.

No, goddamit, no! Cuba is where you go to avoid americans on vacation.

Come on Obama, slap Castro and scuttle this whole thing.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Of course, who knows where well be in two years, or ten years, with Cuba, but surreal nonetheless.

I'm having trouble not seeing that bust as Sinestro.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

I'm having trouble not seeing that bust as Sinestro.

I don't know who that is, but after a quick Google search, I will assume he is well-known, worldwide, as V. Lenin.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Lenin was the Red Lantern.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    shryke wrote: »

So cool.

No, goddamit, no! Cuba is where you go to avoid americans on vacation.

Come on Obama, slap Castro and scuttle this whole thing.

I've lived 30 years with friends and neighbors that are Cuban or descendants of Cubans talking about their homeland. I want to see it, damn it.

Enc on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    *scratches Cuba off the list of countries to hide in to avoid repayment of student loans*

North Korea it is

override367 on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm watching the full Obama/Castro presser. It's quite fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwEG0hOWBXw

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Obama's speech is pretty close to peak Obama oration. I suspect the more resistant factions in Cuba are now very much regretting letting Obama into the country to extol the value of democracy and civil liberties.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Had you told me a mere four years ago that a US president would visit Cuba while the Castros were still in power, I would have laughed and asked what exactly you were smoking in that Cuban Cigar.

It feels so surreal. I knew Obama was easing restrictions with Cuba, but he's picked a perfect time to go. With the whole kerfuffle about the primaries, Obama isn't getting even a quarter as much flak from the right wing I would expect.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Obama's speech is pretty close to peak Obama oration. I suspect the more resistant factions in Cuba are now very much regretting letting Obama into the country to extol the value of democracy and civil liberties.

The speech was so good. I appreciate that he not only didn't shy away from addressing the needed changes in political freedom, but he did it so gracefully and all the while appealing to the power of the Cuban people to advance change. Really well done.

• Options
    Steve Benen pointed out Obama fucked castro in that press conference. First with that limp hand thing, and then by having the press actually ask him questions. Again for everyone worried "Oh he'll enable someone terrible." Yeah Obama shockingly knows what he's doing.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Castro's protestation to Obama that he, like, totally agreed to avoid politics during their presser was adorable.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Screengrab before the speech started.

yNnpS76.png?1

Can someone help me find a high quality and similar picture taken by a photographer?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Does this trip mean we can get Cuban cigars now?

• Options
    LoisLane wrote: »
    Does this trip mean we can get Cuban cigars now?

Soon, congress still has to do some shit ok so maybe not soon.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Watched Obama's speech. 10/10.

smCQ5WE.jpg