As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's our [Job] thread

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    I just did something I can't really believe I did. Here is the copy-and-paste of what I submitted in the 'cover letter or anything else we should know about you' section:
    I arrived in Seattle on January 2, 2014.
    The Seattle Seahawks won the Superbowl for the first time on February 2, 2014.
    I am still in Seattle, and the Seahawks are positioned for another great playoff run.
    Can you afford to not be involved with someone who carries success with them?

Seriously, you are not going to find someone with a better combination of skills, intelligence, and work ethic.
    We should definitely talk about this position at your earliest convenience.

Oh well. My current job pays well and is easy. I guess I really didn't hurt myself too much.

Uh... the recruiter for this job called me today for a phone interview next week.
    Please do not learn from me being a wiseass, a real cover letter is still the way to go.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    During last block today I played a teacher in Space Hulk. Then I played a student and won as the marines in an awesome final turn that barely succeeded spectacularly.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I just did something I can't really believe I did. Here is the copy-and-paste of what I submitted in the 'cover letter or anything else we should know about you' section:
    I arrived in Seattle on January 2, 2014.
    The Seattle Seahawks won the Superbowl for the first time on February 2, 2014.
    I am still in Seattle, and the Seahawks are positioned for another great playoff run.
    Can you afford to not be involved with someone who carries success with them?

Seriously, you are not going to find someone with a better combination of skills, intelligence, and work ethic.
    We should definitely talk about this position at your earliest convenience.

Oh well. My current job pays well and is easy. I guess I really didn't hurt myself too much.

Uh... the recruiter for this job called me today for a phone interview next week.
    Please do not learn from me being a wiseass, a real cover letter is still the way to go.

On the other hand, having a sense of humor in a cover letter, when executed as well as above, can go a long way to make you stand out to potential employers (especially if they're Seahawks fans)

• Options
    That hamburger I failed to make is for an internal project at work using software I was hired to help implement and support. They want our demo server upgraded the latest version, as well as the mobile client and a test version of the credit card piece, so the owner (the guy who hired me) and the sales team can better demo the system to prospects.

So naturally the demonstrate how to create a bill of materials I created the ingredients for burgers as inventory items. Which you can add as line items on an order, then convert those line items into a Bill of Materials for a finished good (Hamburger).

And they'll be able to highlight being able to customize it with bacon, two burger patties, etc, complete with photos of ingredients and a burger assembly schematic.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well, the computer is right, you know.

The correct number of pickle slices on a burger is zero (0).

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Pickles are a critical part of a burger.

• Options
    I agree

(I actually took that because there's a bug in the latest build of the software that broke that 'convert to BOM' feature, which explains why it didn't work when I was demonstrating it to a client on Wednesday)

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

to be thrown away in disgust, yes

• Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular

I've always thought of them as unnecessary but welcome participants in my burger experience

• Options
    I will eat a pickle spear on the side, but something about the texture or the flavor or something straight up ruins a burg for me

pick'em off, give'em to @Stareosarus‌

• Options
    Tam wrote: »
    Dang sorry to hear that, @scarlet blvd.
    I recommend you choose a place has affordable trade schools or trade specializing community colleges
    Get a job, establish in state residency, take some classes, ask around, find something you could see yourself doing and pursue it

If I were to move to an area where I wouldn't have any friends right away, what would be a good temporary housing solution until I got started?

a serious side note being that if anyone is actually looking for a roommate, I'll be having to find a place in about 2 weeks.

• Options

It's the exact opposite for me. The meat is juicy and heavy, but pickles lend a contrasting texture and sourness that doesn't lose out to the burger itself.

I love to experiment with food, finding that unique combination where all the ingredients mesh together but can still stand out from one another. I only wish I wasn't in a tiny apartment where I can't actually do much kitchen work because there's no room.

• Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    Pickles in every burger.

Beetroot and fried egg is where I draw the line.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Because of the recent depression diagnosis on my medical records, I'm disqualified to join the military.
    so that's neat
    You guys should start listing pros and cons of the cities/states you live in, I would appreciate the input to help with my decision making process.
    I've got pretty much nothing to stop me from going anywhere in the states.

On the plus side, now you can't join the military!

Also Sydney/New South Wales is pretty neat, even though it is not America.

broken image link
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    The article about the horse logger I was working with appeared in the National Farmers Union magazine this month, that's me scrambling after him.

10497981_10153037681424161_6791845241500771033_o.jpg

At the bosses behest I wore something with a company logo on, which was a thick black hoody in this instance. Probably lost a stone in sweat for a single long shot haha.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I zoomed all the way in and could see the logo, so it was totally worth it.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    The article about the horse logger I was working with appeared in the National Farmers Union magazine this month, that's me scrambling after him.

At the bosses behest I wore something with a company logo on, which was a thick black hoody in this instance. Probably lost a stone in sweat for a single long shot haha.

I bet your job is hard work! But look at that view.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Yeah, that guy probably has a really toned butt. Good thinking, @Liiya :P

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    oh no

thats not what I meant

but now you mention it!

• Options
    Pickles in every burger.

Beetroot and fried egg is where I draw the line.

Fried no. Poached with runny yolk, yes.

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Yeah, that guy probably has a really toned butt. Good thinking, @Liiya :P

Toned butt, huge strong hands, a craggy face with eyes that flash between warm and fierce in an insta-sorry I need to lie down

I look out from the view from my window, over the Wear Valley, and think 'This would be better with the M6 going throught it'

Haha nah it was a beautiful setting, there was an old sheep farmer down the way whose family had been there since 1920, in an old stone house that had been there since the Vikings came through probably. He had the least well trained sheep dog ever, we could him roaring at it as it chased sheep everywhere right up the hill top.

• Options
    I am suddenly very warm.

That sounds gorgeous, Kendal isn't too far away from me I'll have to go exploring there one day and check that out myself!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I am suddenly very warm.

That sounds gorgeous, Kendal isn't too far away from me I'll have to go exploring there one day and check that out myself!

And if you get a spare moment, the lovely countryside too?

• Options
    I am suddenly very warm.

Hahaha you bugger.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I have to buy a webcam so I can do a hirevue virtual interview?
    I am not pleased

But I have an interview!

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I am suddenly very warm.

tumblr_inline_mu3c8tdWrS1r5qa3k.jpg

Cheeky.

(It's also a butt pun)

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    All right y'all. Who's got jobs in big data analytics, business intelligence, or data science in large-ish city that isn't NYC? Toootes willing to relocate.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    tynic wrote: »
    Oh, I forgot to mention this earlier, but if any canananadians (@Cello, @mully, @ChicoBlue) were watching CBC last night we were on it! I think the episode is here for now if anyone wants to watch it
    http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episodes/roboticize-me

COOL

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    All right y'all. Who's got jobs in big data analytics, business intelligence, or data science in large-ish city that isn't NYC? Toootes willing to relocate.

My company has a bunch of analytics openings in Boston.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Because of the recent depression diagnosis on my medical records, I'm disqualified to join the military.
    so that's neat
    You guys should start listing pros and cons of the cities/states you live in, I would appreciate the input to help with my decision making process.

Well. Minnesota has decent job prospects. Target is located here, best buy, a pile of others. This isnt a one job area.

The twin cities are a major cultural location As well. We are only second to Manhattan in theatres per capita. there is a thriving music scene, lots of national acts are from here, there are legendary music venues.

Great brewery scene if you are into that.

Great local biking scene and extensive biking trails.

Let's see. Cons.

Frickin cold.
    limited public transit if you aren't close to downtown.

Rents aren't the cheapest. Not astronomical, but there are cheaper places to be.

what kind of job experience do you have?

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    job hunting is the worst

I mean, at the moment, I'm still gainfully employed, but still, bluuuuuuuuuuuurgh

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Have you considered getting a job in Animorphs? I mean, being that you know everything about them and all

• Options
    that market's so stagnant you might as well call it a nothlit

• Options
    that's a great fucking post

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Even better with the name

• Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    so that's neat

Well. Minnesota has decent job prospects. Target is located here, best buy, a pile of others. This isnt a one job area.

The twin cities are a major cultural location As well. We are only second to Manhattan in theatres per capita. there is a thriving music scene, lots of national acts are from here, there are legendary music venues.

Let's see. Cons.

Frickin cold.

Rents aren't the cheapest. Not astronomical, but there are cheaper places to be.

I'm actually from minnesota. Do you live in the cities?
    My work experience is pretty much grocery store work, which I suppose is nice in that there are always grocery stores no matter where you live.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    so that's neat

Let's see. Cons.

Frickin cold.

My work experience is pretty much grocery store work, which I suppose is nice in that there are always grocery stores no matter where you live.

Whole Foods has - or had - a lot of great benefits for everyone in the store, and really likes to promote from within.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    so that's neat

Let's see. Cons.

Frickin cold.

Whole Foods has - or had - a lot of great benefits for everyone in the store, and really likes to promote from within.

Yea, I'm hoping to find a job at one of the nice places like that, whole foods, costco, or trader joes.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My stomach is trying to kill me at work today.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    so that's neat

Let's see. Cons.

Frickin cold.

Yea, I'm hoping to find a job at one of the nice places like that, whole foods, costco, or trader joes.

I actually haven't heard good things about TJs.

Minneapolis is good. Chicago is of course going to be more expensive with a wider surrounding suburban area.

This discussion has been closed.