As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metal Gear] Solid V comes out September 1st

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    naked and unloved is the achievement for beating hard or higher with no health or fuel cell upgrades
    Naked and Unloved: Complete the game on Hard difficulty level or higher without upgrading Raiden's Life or Fuel Cell capacity via the Customize option, or by collecting Endurance +1 upgrades. This can only be done by selecting the New Game option, which deletes your BP, resets all Customization unlocks and purchases, and your progress on all difficulty levels, but leaves collectables, Titles and VR mission progress intact.

(Or just doing it fresh)

There's also this

Which is the one I went for.

Thunder God Obtain an overall S-Rank for all chapters, on all difficulty levels.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    This conversation basically outlines how differently Morninglord and I approach CAGs

I go "THIS WORKS, DO THIS"

Morninglord goes "Well maybe THIS works, and THIS works, and if I look at it THIS way I can do THIS"

"That would take forever just to learn!"

"Yeah but if I do it like THIS I don't even need to use my feet"

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    naked and unloved is the achievement for beating hard or higher with no health or fuel cell upgrades
    Naked and Unloved: Complete the game on Hard difficulty level or higher without upgrading Raiden's Life or Fuel Cell capacity via the Customize option, or by collecting Endurance +1 upgrades. This can only be done by selecting the New Game option, which deletes your BP, resets all Customization unlocks and purchases, and your progress on all difficulty levels, but leaves collectables, Titles and VR mission progress intact.

(Or just doing it fresh)

There's also this

Which is the one I went for.

Thunder God Obtain an overall S-Rank for all chapters, on all difficulty levels.

Got good news for Speed. I did a fresh naked and unloved, and you can get endurance upgrades from chests. Buying 'em is still out of the question, of course.

I mean, you can still hold yourself to a higher standard, but the game doesn't give a fuck.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I discover things based on three principles.
    1). Research on gameplay mechanics, watching videos of challenge runs, etc. Everyone looks at those videos and goes awesome and forgets about them, I sit there and study the fuckers. I stop and replay over and over, then tease out what they did, then try to apply it.
    2). Wait what just happened? That seemed interesting, lets repeat that and HOLY SHIT THAT DOES THIS WHICH DOES THIS THATS AWESOME
    3). Lets see what happens if I do this oh nothing well that didn't work, okay what if I try it this way ow ow ow no that was worse damn ok what about this oh hey that worked, wasn't that effective though, what about this then ow shit, wait no i think i see what im doing wrong lets try it again ok yeah that worked, lets do it on this guy too, okay yeah that works really well wow thats just AWESOME
    4). FUCK YOU (insert difficult enemy here) ILL KILL YOU *throws self repeatedly at enemy until luck, 2 or 3 leads to victory, and if all else fails, 1)

and then I tell everyone else all about how to do it without using your feet because, fundamentally, I want people to be having as much fun with their games as I am.

I didn't miscount, 4 isn't really a principle. It's an attitude.

Btw there isn't actually a "Big Boss Emblem" in game cheevo, I dunno about actual trophies cos I don't care about them, but the actual no kill in game thing is called "Massive Deterrent".
    That dude just called it Big Boss Emblem to name his challenge run.

The main reason I find speed's twitch so fascinating is he dies over and over just like I do while learning something, but he just laughs it off like a classy chap whereas by that point I would be simmering with barely contained rage but still playing anyway because they aren't dead yet and they have to die now.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 2 (The Correct Answer)
    what you're forgetting is that you're coming into this a year+ in

i've already done this sort of endless repetition for all the mainling MGS games

all the frustration and anger has been beaten out of me

I'm just a machine that repeats until its task is complete

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    geth i appreciate the show of solidarity but i was speaking metaphorically

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    (we've secretly injected speed racer with nanomachines running Patriot subroutines. let's see if he notices)

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    (we've secretly injected speed racer with nanomachines running Patriot subroutines. let's see if he notices)

The La-li-lu-le-lo subroutines?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    So how many forumers have we confirmed are actually high functioning AIs now?

1. Speed
    2. -Tal
    3. possibly Morninglord
    4. ????

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Well I'm also Zay's alt

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    So how many forumers have we confirmed are actually high functioning AIs now?

1. Speed
    2. -Tal
    3. possibly Morninglord
    4. ????

i mean AI is a little generous

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Yeah.

Wait.

edit: TIME TO LEAVE YOU ALL BEHIIIIIIIIINDDDDDDD

Morninglord on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Portable Ops (hahaha yeah right)
    -Tal wrote: »
    Well I'm also Zay's alt

is my husbando... a robot???

what would the space pope think!!!

• Options
    I submit proof that I am not an AI!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yOTlNU98Hs&feature=youtu.be

Wait shit humans kill each other too dammit.

• Options
    I submit proof that I am not an AI!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yOTlNU98Hs&feature=youtu.be

Wait shit humans kill each other too dammit.

Can we appeal to your patriotism to manipulate you?

AIs aren't patriotic.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Neither are Australians so that's a wash.

OH SHIT

NO WONDER WE CAN FIGHT ALL THE DROP BEARS

WE'RE ALL ROBOTS

Vegemite is repair nanopaste.

My whole life makes sense.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Wait how does beer fit into this.

We drink a lot of beer.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid
    Wait how does beer fit into this.

We drink a lot of beer.

Our internal power generation units have to run on something, right?

• Options
    If you think about it if Australian's did make robots they'd design them to be able to drink because that just wouldn't be bloody right mate, if the poor sparky bastard wants a pint he'll blow himself up!

• Options
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    @tynic‌ does Blake drink?

• Options
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    I'm asking for Geth

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Wait what huh what's happening?

Oh, THAT Blake.
    We never dared find out. Can you imagine if they got into the Hungarian liquor our embedded control guy keeps in his drawer?

• Options
    if you are playing today i wont be watching cos i've got the doctors appointment for my hand. finally. stupid christmas hols.

• Options
    Absolutely nothing about these helicopter missions is designed to be fun or satisfying

It 100% breaks down to just drilling the fights over and over until random factors break in your favor

The latter-end helicopters are so fast and erratic and have such good vision that you can be completely safe to move one second and directly in the pilot's field of view the next

And everything about the waterfall map is working against you. Too small to shoot the Fulton launcher without alerting people even from across the map, and the aforementioned super fast and agile helicopter has fucking hiding spots so you can only actually see it half the time

It is garbage and stands in shocking contrast to the excellent level and encounter design on display in the numbered mgs games

• Options
    Like Jesus morning lord of you wanna see me get angry then I should stream these last 18 vehicle missions

I am not proud to admit that my PS3 controller now has a bite mark on one of the handles

• Options
    edited January 2015
    No I'm ok.
    I gave up on the early vehicle missions.
    I had a sure fire strategy.
    Apparently you can smash the cockpit windshield.
    I took the gun recommended into the mission and sat there plugging the helicopter. I ran out of ammo. That includes resupplies.
    Haven't booted it up since.
    Fuck that shit.
    I wasn't even trying to S rank it. I just wanted to fucking beat it.
    You should stream em anyway tho.

At some point my guide turned into a no item run because halfway through chapter 3 and I still haven't used one. At this point the infinite item ammo wig is, basically, just to match my outfit.
    What I'm trying to say is you know how I said you can use items and it doesn't affect your rank?
    I reckon you are Big Boss/Thunder God enough to not use any.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Yeah breaking the windshield isn't a strategy that works until really late in the game when you unlock the anti tank rifle

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    there's a reason why most of my comments about peace walker earlier in the thread were complaints about vehicle missions. because they're total trash. the 25% of peace walker that's traditional metal gear stuff is pretty fun if a bit basic.

a part of me wants to see you do them because schadenfreude

but i already know the pain, and it doesn't generate a 'funny' angry. just a regular frustrated angry where no one has fun.

• Options
    they're not designed for one person anyway
    its a coop game first and foremost

• Options
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    if they just fucking let you do them co-op without arbitrarily making the missions longer by throwing out dozens more guys AT LEAST THEN you could bring some friends in and maybe have some minor amount of fun because you have buddies. but when they basically punish you for bringing more people... it just seems like such a waste.

maybe there's some magic way co-op actually makes it easier, but it's hard to imagine how. the hard part is getting all the guys without being spotted. adding more guys to capture and more people to be spotted sounds like it only makes the mission harder.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    do they double the dudes? or is it slightly less. i never cooped, i just assumed that was why they were so hard

if its straight up double then i got nothing

i would imagine that four speeds working as a trained unit would wipe out any number of dudes no matter what tho
    by their powers combined
    CAPTAIN BIG BOSS

btw this is this also a generic metal gear thread for SE or is this a speed thread

i want to know if im thread dumping by splathering all my crap over it

cos i got pokemons to show people now that im playing this again

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    we did a few vehicle missions in co op and the amount of reinforcements increase by a factor of how many people you have. i suppose there's the possibility of a cap or something, but in like a mission that was supposed to only have like 20 guys or so ended up having 60 something.

a group of speeds may be able to do that more efficiently, however there's only one big boss here.

and this is the general metal gear thread i guess, but you're talking about rising so i mean it's not off topic. not a lot of other metal gear chat going on really since mgs5 isn't out yet and no solid scanlon videos are happening at the moment (which makes me sad).

• Options
    edited January 2015
    cool

@Wyborn

this is that video i was talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_GV42qJCd8&feature=youtu.be

@Speed Racer you check this out too it has a few techniques in it that will come in handy to know :P

edit: wyborn this the other video I mentioned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06vBVlPXzk&feature=youtu.be

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Hahaha good god, you really weren't kidding about about Ripper Mode's Defensive Offense instagibbing those shields. That's a thing of beauty.

But that GRAD fight is what's really impressive. How many runs did it take you to get that? Even just to settle on that strategy?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Yeah this has sort of become the de facto Speed Racer Thread but you should definitely post whatever the hell you want that's metal gear related

And yeah the nonlethal method of taking down vehicles is harder the more people you have

I don't think it quite scales linearly, but the slight advantage you get from a better player to guard ratio is completely counteracted by the simple fact that capturing 60-80 guards takes forever

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Hahaha good god, you really weren't kidding about about Ripper Mode's Defensive Offense instagibbing those shields. That's a thing of beauty.

But that GRAD fight is what's really impressive. How many runs did it take you to get that? Even just to settle on that strategy?

First time? So many. I kept hitting those damn tanks. Over and over and over and over.
    This time was a small improvement, I did the air parry to guarantee the stun. Learning that took about ten restarts. Then I had to figure out how to quickly get past them qte prompt, cos if you do nothing, it just waits. So you trigger it because its faster to trigger it and do nothing.

The thing about that first fight is using the slide to get up to them. If you just run up to them you get a rocket to the face. Then using the walk to kill all three. The quick polearm strike stuns them all briefly.
    Also when i did the yxy on the armored guy, it broke the stun. But I was behind them, so they couldn't block it. That's an important little tidbit I did not know. Although I should have. :)
    That whole video is one long controlled sequence. I figured out each step bit by bit and then put it all together. It's repeatable.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Tha'ts really the best thing about sharing videos of S rank completions

When you share it you look like the hyper-perfect god king of the shit wizards

Nobody needs to know how hard it was to get there (it is invariably very hard)

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Yeah this has sort of become the de facto Speed Racer Thread but you should definitely post whatever the hell you want that's metal gear related

And yeah the nonlethal method of taking down vehicles is harder the more people you have

I don't think it quite scales linearly, but the slight advantage you get from a better player to guard ratio is completely counteracted by the simple fact that capturing 60-80 guards takes forever

Speed I haven't had the chance to tell you this. But I am now.

If you don't get Big Boss in Revengance using only the Katana with no secondaries I will be very dissapointed in you.

• Options

If you don't get Big Boss in Revengance using only the Katana with no secondaries I will be very dissapointed in you.

You want a man who refuses to spend a playthrough getting upgrades to S-rank Monsoon or Sundowner without using any secondaries?

You're a monster

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Wyborn wrote: »

You want a man who refuses to spend a playthrough getting upgrades to S-rank Monsoon or Sundowner without using any secondaries?

You're a monster

No.

I am a SWORD. A tool, for JUSTICE

Transporter on
This discussion has been closed.