As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Discuss National Infrastructure And Also Kirby In The [Nintendo] Thread

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Was... was it ever NOT okay to feel good about Nintendo? Because I've felt good about Nintendo pretty much constantly since I got my first Game Boy in... 1994, I think?

Well, I mean Other M came out a few years ago...

I'm willing to place the blame on one specific person like literally everyone else involved in that game did. Team Ninja gets a lot of shit but they were just doing grunt work.

An actual Team ninja Metroid would have been something to see. Metroid has all the big setpeices and monsters they're known for. It's a pity.

I agree. I don't much like Team Ninja, but Other M was definitely not their fault. They weren't even allowed to make it control the way they wanted to. They wanted to have the game use the nunchuck and were told no.

Still though, in a better world someone would have checked up on Other M half way through development and kicked Sakamoto's ass to the curb.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    monster hunter on the 3ds!

How does one hunt monsters?

I think I might try 4 when it comes out.

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I just want to have every 2015 game now

Gimme Splatoon and Codename STEAM and Starfox and Zelda and aaaaaaaagh

I will be surprised if Zelda actually comes out in 2015. Has any of the big Zelda games ever not been delayed?

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I just want to have every 2015 game now

Gimme Splatoon and Codename STEAM and Starfox and Zelda and aaaaaaaagh

I will be surprised if Zelda actually comes out in 2015. Has any of the big Zelda games ever not been delayed?

This has been in development since skyward sword finished. Not only will it be out before next December Nintendo cannot afford to delay it. Its their main holiday title.

Pretty much every Nintendo dev not on a project is gonna be on ZeldaU.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    See, while I thought 2014 Nintendo was stellar, 2015 isn't doing much for me really

Just Yoshi and Zelda, really

But it's Nintendo, and as per their style with announcing things, I bet we'll get some wonderful announcements in the early part of the year that will release during the holiday season

Fingers crossed for a new proper Mario

If they do another Mario on wiiu its gonna be Mario 3d world 2

They've only done two mainline marios on the same console once and it was a direct mechanical sequel to the previous one

Doubt they've got people over there working on an entirely new playstyle

That said god I hope they do that because 3d world was incredible

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I could play a New Zelda

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I cannot be satisfied until I get a new "kinda open world" Mario rather than the "get to the end also maybe find some dragon coins" ones that we've been getting for a while

6F32U1X.png
    Why no more metroids?

Just you know.

Ignore the fact that Other M ever happened.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    See, while I thought 2014 Nintendo was stellar, 2015 isn't doing much for me really

But it's Nintendo, and as per their style with announcing things, I bet we'll get some wonderful announcements in the early part of the year that will release during the holiday season

They've only done two mainline marios on the same console once and it was a direct mechanical sequel to the previous one

3D World is great

It cannot hold a candle to objective-based Mario games, of which Wii U has received none

edited December 2014
    I cannot be satisfied until I get a new "kinda open world" Mario rather than the "get to the end also maybe find some dragon coins" ones that we've been getting for a while

Huh?

64- open
    Sunshine -open
    Galaxy 1&2 - open
    3dworld - not

3d world is the only mainline 3d Mario title that isn't open

What do you mean for a while?

I'm sure they'll revert to the open ones next system

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    edited December 2014
    Uriel wrote: »
    Why no more metroids?

Just you know.

Ignore the fact that Other M ever happened.

Its not popular in Japan and there are some pretty fierce territory battles over it in house

King Riptor on

3D World is great

It cannot hold a candle to objective-based Mario games, of which Wii U has received none

Well it likely won't get any because they only do that with the mainline games and that's already taken for this Gen

But I'm sure they'll go back to it next time

The last several Mario games, in reverse order

Super Mario 3D World (2013)
    New Super Mario Bros. U (2012)
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012)
    Super Mario 3D Land (2011)
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)

It's been 4 and a half years since the last open world Mario game, and those are far and away my favorite kind

6F32U1X.png
    The last several Mario games, in reverse order

Super Mario 3D World (2013)
    New Super Mario Bros. U (2012)
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012)
    Super Mario 3D Land (2011)
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)

It's been 4 and a half years since the last open world Mario game, and those are far and away my favorite kind

Only one of those is a main line Mario game

The nsmb games are a specific brand and are always sides rolling, and 3d land is a ds game which they've never done an 'open' one of either

They treat these things as different brands that use different teams

Only the main titles have ever used the open framework

Sorry if this sounded snippy or defensive

Just think its probably wise to set expectations based on past output, wasn't trying to be a jerk

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I love Mario 3D World but I would also like to see another game in the style of Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy.

I am also eagerly awaiting the announcement of the inevitable amiibo game.

I'm not sure why you think 3D Land/World are mainline games if NSMB isn't

I'm not sure why you think 3D Land/World are mainline games if NSMB isn't

New super Mario brothers is an entire brand and subline

It has its own dedicated team, specific mechanics, musical, and physics style

Land/world are made specifically by the galaxy team and the director is the guy who has done the last several mainline games

Its also the fifth 3d game on a home console, and all other mainline games have been 3d

Even if you don't make a distinction between the 'new' and main games, they have different staff and the 'new' team has never done anything but side scrolling, level based games

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Was... was it ever NOT okay to feel good about Nintendo? Because I've felt good about Nintendo pretty much constantly since I got my first Game Boy in... 1994, I think?

I would say 2008-2013 was a preeeeetty dark period

Yeah, the Wii's hits were few and far between, but when they were there, they were still solid. And the DS was well-supported throughout its lifetime. The only real dark spot was the 3DS/Wii U launch period, and even that was just a matter of poor timing. I guess my point is, even in the slow periods, I was still enjoying it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

turtleant wrote: »

Well, I mean Other M came out a few years ago...

I have no idea what you're talking about. Apropos of nothing though, I'd like to point out that it took 8 years after Super Metroid for Metroid Prime to come out, and 2015 will mark 8 years since the last Metroid game (Prime 3--the trilogy doesn't count as a new release), so here's hoping...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I dunno, Nintendo might not have had many critically acclaimed releases in the Wii era, but boy howdy did they sure sell a fucking shitload of Wii consoles and shovelware...

They were basically printing their own money for a few years there!

Other M happened

Sorry guys

Ignoring it will get you nowhere

And thank god for that, too, because it gives them the capital to spend this generation figuring out how to make people feel good about them again (which is apparently an expensive undertaking).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Other M was dumb and bad.

They need to make a new metroid that is not dumb and bad.

Just a good new sidescroller even.

Other M happened

Sorry guys

Ignoring it will get you nowhere

Seeing as my impassioned critical analysis of what makes for a good Metroid game has exactly 0% chance of influencing the development of future games, acknowledging it won't accomplish anything either, so I'm quite content with my denial.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Uriel wrote: »
    Other M was dumb and bad.

They need to make a new metroid that is not dumb and bad.

Just a good new sidescroller even.

At least we have AM2R. Kind of sad that a single fan, as a hobby, is developing a better Metroid game than Nintendo itself cares to.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I really liked samus' out of suit outfit from that game

There I said something nice

Everyone but Nintendo wants to make a new Metroid

Axiom Verge, Velocity 2X, several others that I of course can't bring to mind at this moment

6F32U1X.png
    I really liked samus' out of suit outfit from that game

There I said something nice

Better than the Zero Suit.

Axiom verge looks amazing

Velocity 2X is a Metroid game?

Also I was excited for Axiom Verge from the description but not after seeing it

That is a butt-ugly game

Nintendo wants to make a new metroid theres tons of demand. but when a guy who has as much clout as Miyamoto is vehemently against western developers being placed on it or a story he hasnt vetted being used theres gonna be some delays.

That is a butt-ugly game

It looks cool!

You're a jerk and I hate you!

Also, while the story stuff seemed pretty awful, I liked what I played of Metroid: Other M

It used the Wii remote a hell of a lot better than Metroid Prime 3 did, I thought switching remote position based on third- or first-person was interesting as hell

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    What on earth is meant by "open world Mario" in this topic

Mario 64 and Sunshine are the only 3D Marios where the levels didn't change depending on your objective; the Galaxies and 3D World were all linear, objective-based affairs, and the Galaxy games did asset shuffling depending on what you needed to get done

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    Also, while the story stuff seemed pretty awful, I liked what I played of Metroid: Other M

It used the Wii remote a hell of a lot better than Metroid Prime 3 did, I thought switching remote position based on third- or first-person was interesting as hell

Vow. . .

Who hurt you?

That is a butt-ugly game

It looks cool!

You're a jerk and I hate you!

I will still play it, because it's a Metroid game and I play those

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-00cwxUfYY

But man ugh

That's one of the most visually unappealing games I've seen in some times

It looks more like original NES Metroid

Which is not a good thing

Vow. . .

Who hurt you?

DdxrId0.jpg

edited December 2014
    Wyborn wrote: »
    What on earth is meant by "open world Mario" in this topic

Mario 64 is the only 3D Mario where the levels didn't change depending on your objective; the Galaxies and 3D World were all linear, objective-based affairs, and the Galaxy games did asset shuffling depending on what you needed to get done

3D World is not objective-based

Unless you think getting to the flag pole 200 times is an objective

EDIT: Whoops triple-post

UnbreakableVow on
This discussion has been closed.