As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[nfl] Super Bowl 49: 12 vs 12. No matter who wins, we all lose.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Don't you know red blooded, all-american boys are supposed to spike balls

Luke Willson spikes balls and he's Canadian.

Here in Canada, our balls are slightly bigger. Also, we have fewer downs, and stuff like this can happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5BFaykcxGg

Sharp-eyed viewers may see a familiar face at about 1:07, trying to shake the hand of an invisible man.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Maybe Lynch could stop being a goose. That might solve the problem.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    So, what team do you think Lynch will be on next year?

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    As long as he's willing to accept whatever punishment the league will give him for his actions, then I'm perfectly fine with him so long as he doesn't do some kind of horribly illegal shit like skin babies to make an ultra-soft pillow cover.

Terrell Owens was a turd, but it isn't my place to tell him to conform to anything.

• Options

The Cowboys.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Seahawks. He's under contract and we've got cap room. They'd be fucking crazy to cut him at this point.

He's not getting a new deal. After next year? I'd say Raiders or he retires.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    If lynch isn't a seahawk next year, it's because he retired.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I know you guys are tired of this but I had to post it.

Bill Nye basically states Belichicks explanation makes "no sense". Was on good morning america this morning. Showed why etc. Stated the only way you could make the air pressure change was with the needle.

In contrast the sports scients guys did this which was pulled from ESPN webpage heh. Then reuploaded it later.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Except for temperature change.

You can't say it makes no sense if you're making up situations. The NFL hasn't even told people the whole story (and a lot of stories are coming out making their official statements bullshit, but I digress) so I'm curious how people can figure out of something can or cannot happen without all the pieces of a formula. Figure out volume without mass or pressure.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Temperature change didnt affect the whole set of even one subset would be the response I would gather. IE it didnt affect the 12th ball. Edit: This has been discussed to death it is mainly to show other people throwing their hat in the ring. The sports science guys didnt even try to cover how the air was released just what it would do. Which is not really disproving anything. Just that the effects might not have the intended results some might expect. They also didnt test density changes from weather or misconceptions of such. IE are the balls "harder" or softer.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    If it was just weather why did none of the colts balls deflate?

It's an overblown "scandal" to be sure , but clearly someone tampered with the pats balls.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Also didn't belichick say he gave the balls to the ref and said inflate them to 12.5 psi? This raises the question, will the refs do that? Set them to a certain psi for you? Did the pats give the balls to the refs, say that, then the refs never checked/reset them?

Either way I don't care. (Monotone) on to Seattle.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    Also tired of this subject. But if the Pats balls were only inflated to the minimum requirement to pass, then any amount of shrinkage would put them below standard. If Luck likes his balls "Rodgers" style and inflated as much as possible, then they would still be acceptable after exposure to the cold.

• Options
    Which would make more sense if it were 12/12. 11/12, not so much.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    If it was just weather why did none of the colts balls deflate?

It's an overblown "scandal" to be sure , but clearly someone tampered with the pats balls.

If the Colts balls were inflated to 13.5 PSI and dropped 1 PSI, they'd be legal at 12.5 PSI. Also there is also the possibility that the Colts overinflated their balls.

We have an unverified report from an unknown source that 11 of 12 Patriots balls were 2 PSI short of the legal limit. The official NFL statement to this point makes no mention of that. Sources also said that D'Quell Jackson noticed that the ball was flat; he's since said that he didn't notice. Belichick has claimed in a press conference that "[w]hen the footballs are delivered to the officials’ locker room, the officials were asked to inflate them to 12.5 PSI, what exactly they did, I don’t know."

Belichick's statement indicates to me that he delivered them in a state where they were potentially already under-inflated; his statement makes the implicit claim that he asked the refs to ensure that the balls were in a legal state at the start of the game. The refs might not inflated them, either through miscommunication or omission or because they don't consider it their responsibility. That being the case, the only deliberate modification to their pressure might have been at the half, when they were inflated.

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    If I learned anything in the past NFL leaks... it is that they are usually correct. There is reason we have not heard about 11/12 other than leaks because it damns any defense of weather to a degree. Something the NFL would want to keep under wraps if at all possible.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Gigaton wrote: »
    Also tired of this subject. But if the Pats balls were only inflated to the minimum requirement to pass, then any amount of shrinkage would put them below standard. If Luck likes his balls "Rodgers" style and inflated as much as possible, then they would still be acceptable after exposure to the cold.

Sigh. No

There are three testing situations. All balls inflated in a warm environment.

1)balls tested cold in warm environment

2)balls tested warm in warm environment

3) balls tested cold in cold environment.

If 1 the a ball inflated to 12.5 psi will test around 10.5. A ball inflated to 13.5 psi will test around 11.5 psi. So in this situation all properly inflated balls fail. The pats do not have a ball that meets guidelines without inflating it to over 14.5 psi. Similarly the colts. Moreover we can say this is unlikely since footballs will heat up pretty quickly. And of course that every ball didn't fail.

If 2 then there are no psi changes. Everything tests as it was inflated to. So if this were the case tampering is a must.

if 3 the reference point drops as well as the pressure inside the balls. A ball tested at 10.5 would have been inflated to 11.5 psi. A ball tested at 12.5 about 13.5. In this situation it's still not possible for the pats to not have tampered with their balls.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Actually it is possible nobody tampered with the balls and the refs fucked up their job.

• Options
    I understand, Goumindong, that you hate the Pats enough that you're trying to prove malice by ignoring some facts, guessing on others, and throwing some logic 101 to make it sound legitimate.

I'm sorry, but you've jumped headlong into conspiracy theory territory, one which often breeds lunatics and craziness.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Could I possibly convince you all to stop talking about psi and just start talking about Psy instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Could I possibly convince you all to stop talking about psi and just start talking about Psy instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0

Somehow I might be even more tired of gangnam style than deflategate, which is pretty impressive by its own right

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    josh Gordon apparently failed another drug test, this one for alcohol, and will be subject to a one year suspension.

Damn.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So now they're not allowed to drink alcohol?

• Options
    I guess he's subjected to alcohol tests because of his previous DUI

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Unless staying sober is a condition of his contract or perhaps his reinstatement, then that's horseshit.

Even then, I don't think that can stand up unless the NFL has a blanket policy about their players not drinking.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Unless staying sober is a condition of his contract or perhaps his reinstatement, then that's horseshit.

Even then, I don't think that can stand up unless the NFL has a blanket policy about their players not drinking.

I'd even go so far as to say unless it's court ordered as part of the punishment for his DUI I think it's kinda horseshit.

• Options
    I understand, Goumindong, that you hate the Pats enough that you're trying to prove malice by ignoring some facts, guessing on others, and throwing some logic 101 to make it sound legitimate.

I'm sorry, but you've jumped headlong into conspiracy theory territory, one which often breeds lunatics and craziness.

dude really? Discussing what we know and what effect it might have had is not conspiracy theory. And as each new piece of info comes out it becomes increasingly unlikely that the Pats are innocent. First it's that it totally didn't happen, then when we find out it did you claim it was totally the weather, then when it becomes clear it couldn't have been the weather, you sY it couldn't have had any effect. Then we have evidence that it can have an effect in that that their fumble rate is shockingly low and you say there can be no other explanation but that Belicheck is a God of coaching and getting his players to wrap the ball up and also that strict physical determinism means nothing can have an effect except what you say does. Then it's "well everyone does it"

You know what really drives me though? It's how fucking terrible Pats fans are about this and really I just can't wait to see what excuse you have next.
    Actually it is possible nobody tampered with the balls and the refs fucked up their job.

Only sort of correct. If that were the case then the pats would have had to knowingly submit deflated balls. Which is almost as bad as deflating them after the fact.

I mean unless you're suggesting that the refs and NFL and colts eauent manager conspired to have this be an issue 2 weeks before the Super Bowl in one of the worst seasons for scandals in recent history for a team with the most recent history of cheating.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

dude really? Discussing what we know and what effect it might have had is not conspiracy theory. And as each new piece of info comes out it becomes increasingly unlikely that the Pats are innocent. First it's that it totally didn't happen, then when we find out it did you claim it was totally the weather, then when it becomes clear it couldn't have been the weather, you sY it couldn't have had any effect. Then we have evidence that it can have an effect in that that their fumble rate is shockingly low and you say there can be no other explanation but that Belicheck is a God of coaching and getting his players to wrap the ball up and also that strict physical determinism means nothing can have an effect except what you say does. Then it's "well everyone does it"

You know what really drives me though? It's how fucking terrible Pats fans are about this and really I just can't wait to see what excuse you have next.

Only sort of correct. If that were the case then the pats would have had to knowingly submit deflated balls. Which is almost as bad as deflating them after the fact.

I mean unless you're suggesting that the refs and NFL and colts eauent manager conspired to have this be an issue 2 weeks before the Super Bowl in one of the worst seasons for scandals in recent history for a team with the most recent history of cheating.

You have zero evidence it can affect their fumble rate. You have zero evidence they have used deflated balls in any game other than the last one. You have zero evidence they even knowingly deflated the balls yet.

The fumble "evidence" is absurd. The two teams at the bottom of the curve are just as off scale as the patriots. They must be deliberately overinflating the balls, huh? No other explanation for that one.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    It's even more ridiculous to assume they've done it for 9 years and no one has ever once noticed until now, but it makes such a substantial difference to the ball that it would make you instantly great at not fumbling and have a distinct effect on the game.

I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why you care so much

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Dude is off the charts. I thought Brunell crying was ridiculous.

• Options
    It's even more ridiculous to assume they've done it for 9 years and no one has ever once noticed until now, but it makes such a substantial difference to the ball that it would make you instantly great at not fumbling and have a distinct effect on the game.

I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why you care so much

I think my favorite was him describing roughly the same time period as "forever" when it comes to SB championships and "recent" in regard to Spygate.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    No no, it wasn't a one year suspension, it's a one year banishment.

Apparently the Browns operate in a feudal system.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    One would think being a star player for the Browns would be punishment enough...

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

You have zero evidence it can affect their fumble rate. You have zero evidence they have used deflated balls in any game other than the last one. You have zero evidence they even knowingly deflated the balls yet.

The fumble "evidence" is absurd. The two teams at the bottom of the curve are just as off scale as the patriots. They must be deliberately overinflating the balls, huh? No other explanation for that one.

1) Balls that are easier to grip are harder to fumble. We have evidence of an abnormally low rate of fumbles. That is evidence. I mean unless you want to negate all of science because induction doesn't work that is how we have to do things.

2) no the two teams at the bottom are not just as off the charts. They are actually within a what we would expect to be the variance for that type of distribution. At least according to the people who ran the numbers.

I care because every time someone says anything you two/three won't shut up about how it's wrong or how it doesn't matter or how everyone does it or whatever excuse you're going to come up with next. Stuff is presented without context or argument and you all respond like someone killed your dog if it's in any way shines a negative light on your Pats.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Aaron Rodger's career interception rates are off the charts, at 1.6%. That's 0.4% better than the next best in NFL history (Brady). This clearly provides evidence that Aaron Rodger's overinflated balls are having a marked effect on his interception rate.

Right?

• Options

1) Balls that are easier to grip are harder to fumble. We have evidence of an abnormally low rate of fumbles. That is evidence. I mean unless you want to negate all of science because induction doesn't work that is how we have to do things.

2) no the two teams at the bottom are not just as off the charts. They are actually within a what we would expect to be the variance for that type of distribution. At least according to the people who ran the numbers.

I care because every time someone says anything you two/three won't shut up about how it's wrong or how it doesn't matter or how everyone does it or whatever excuse you're going to come up with next. Stuff is presented without context or argument and you all respond like someone killed your dog if it's in any way shines a negative light on your Pats.

They're assuming a normal distribution, +10 fumbles is just as off the charts as -10

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    There are just tons of other things that affect fumbles (again, which are NOT random) that you can't just assume it's inflation. That's the problem with saying "it's an impossibly low number" - because fumbles are not a normal distribution, and the analysis is fundamentally based on that assumption

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    First off, I am sorry about the argument. It was just my intention to share the two latest individuals to state something. Second, it is indeed a possibility that the Pats have done this for 9 years and no one has known it. If this situation has shown us anything, like bounty gate and spy gate, is that this is one of those "everyone is doing it" type events. Not really "everyone is doing it" but that the ball preparation is one of those things in the NFL that had very relaxed oversight. And that is being generous.

• Options

They're assuming a normal distribution, +10 fumbles is just as off the charts as -10

Yes but the bottom teams are -10 and the top teams are +10 and the pats are +30. The pats, have fumble rates in some of the worst weather in the league like they're some of the better ball handlers who also play in a dome.

Their fumble rate is +20 plays/fumble over the next closes team that plays outside.
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Aaron Rodger's career interception rates are off the charts, at 1.6%. That's 0.4% better than the next best in NFL history (Brady). This clearly provides evidence that Aaron Rodger's overinflated balls are having a marked effect on his interception rate.

Right?

Only if that were so uncommon in the number of samples(ie number of QBs). Which it probably isn't.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    There are just tons of other things that affect fumbles (again, which are NOT random) that you can't just assume it's inflation. That's the problem with saying "it's an impossibly low number" - because fumbles are not a normal distribution, and the analysis is fundamentally based on that assumption

Yes, they're treating fumbles as events that just sort of happen. It's ignoring that differential between players who DO fumble and players who DON'T and treating the team as a single unit as opposed to a number of individuals, fundamentally misunderstanding the basic analysis required to make such a conclusion.

This discussion has been closed.