As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] is focused on Fighting Games and Freemium funfests

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Outside of her outfit which is definitely dumb, Fran wasn't really that bad of a character in terms of oversexed. She wasn't Balthier's plaything or whatever, she was her own person just out doing adventures in the world.

I thought it was funny that she's been the only FF character to fall victim to the cliche "I fell on her and groped something I shouldn't have" trope, as revealed by a child NPC who tried to pickpocket her.

The not-quite-reverse happened to Garnet/Dagger in FFIX: Zidane touched her butt while climbing up a ladder.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Square Enix issued a job listing for a "designing, development, and management planner for a new online game related to Final Fantasy XV" this week. The listing also notes that the job will have the employee working with a game related to another title that will be very famous.

The requirements for the job include a positive and driven attitude and being able to use Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. Other things that would be considered positive include online management, production of a game with fees, management experience, knowledge of game system calculations, as well as interest, curiosity, and/or experience with PC games.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2014-12-30/square-enix-issues-job-listing-for-final-fantasy-xv-related-online-game/.82755

Wonder if they're going to do the GTAV/Dragon Age thing and include a separate multiplayer mode in the game, or if this is a separate thing they're planning for iOS or something.

Not really sure how I feel about it either way. I guess I would have to see what it is first.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »
    Outside of her outfit which is definitely dumb, Fran wasn't really that bad of a character in terms of oversexed. She wasn't Balthier's plaything or whatever, she was her own person just out doing adventures in the world.

I thought it was funny that she's been the only FF character to fall victim to the cliche "I fell on her and groped something I shouldn't have" trope, as revealed by a child NPC who tried to pickpocket her.

The not-quite-reverse happened to Garnet/Dagger in FFIX: Zidane touched her butt while climbing up a ladder.

That was entirely intentional, though.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ch9Ttxku30s

Last Order was a goddamn terrific adaptation.
    though the story would have been vastly different if that Cloud/Tifa conversation actually happened

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Hey, just a quick head's up for the PC gamers out there, today's Steam Sale includes pretty much all the Final Fantasy titles at 50%. Only FF7 is featured as being on sale on the front page, but if you search each individual FF title, they are all on sale.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The secret passwords in Theatrhythm are hilarious.

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    FFXV looks incredible.

But I have been burned by such beauty before.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »

While I'm glad SE doesn't pander with the female fanservice nearly as much as other companies, the times they do tend to toss a wink at fans regarding that topic tend to veer on the creepy side.

Thetrhythm's passwords kind of veers that way, such as using "Perfect Hourglass" for Tifa and "Grew Up Real Fine" with Rydia and "Ooh Soft" with Garnet.

Not trying to be a prude, but something about the game verbally telling you to check out its hot ladies is a little unnerving.

• Options
    So have any of you tried FF3 or FF4 on Steam?

I already own both those games on both DS and Vita, but the PC is where I spend most of my time, so if these are decent ports, there's a certain appeal to owning them on Steam.

• Options
    I'm curious how those games look on Steam as well.

I can't imagine FFIV 3D looks remotely flattering, as it's pretty much N64 textures. A higher resolution would probably make it look worse.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So have any of you tried FF3 or FF4 on Steam?

I already own both those games on both DS and Vita, but the PC is where I spend most of my time, so if these are decent ports, there's a certain appeal to owning them on Steam.

They are based on the Android versions and, while not outright disasters, are very barebones and pretty lacking on the sorts of things you'd expect out of a good PC port. Notably, the FPS is locked at 15fps during all battle sequences (which was a technical limitation imposed in the NDS version which has carried over to the android verison which carried over to the PC version). It's very slideshowey.

• Options
    Well if it was that way on the DS, then I'm already familiar with it, because the DS is where I have played FF3.

I own FF4 on the DS, and I think I even played through it on there once, but I prefer the PSP Version of that game, which I own digitally on my Vita. The Complete Story or whatever its called.

Man I love FF4.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »

While I'm glad SE doesn't pander with the female fanservice nearly as much as other companies, the times they do tend to toss a wink at fans regarding that topic tend to veer on the creepy side.

Thetrhythm's passwords kind of veers that way, such as using "Perfect Hourglass" for Tifa and "Grew Up Real Fine" with Rydia and "Ooh Soft" with Garnet.

Not trying to be a prude, but something about the game verbally telling you to check out its hot ladies is a little unnerving.

"What a dad", though.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Tabata's Famitsu interview translated (Final Fantasy XV | Type-0 HD) #1
    Re Lestallum (town)

Famitsu: Can you talk to the NPCs?

Tabata: Of course. This town, Lestallum, is a kind of base of operations. If you break the game down broadly into an opening section, middle and ending section you could say it’s the main town during the opening section. Here you’ll gain information and secure goods whilst travelling the surrounding areas.

Famitsu: You said before that “road tripping” would be a theme for this game so I had this idea that you’d just be moving from place to place, but you have a base as well, huh?

Tabata: To be really precise it’s not actually a base, but I’d imagine it will feel that way to those playing, who might think “Huh, okay, I should return to Restalm soon”. When the story moves on it’s the kind of place you’ll drop by to stock-up before moving on. Geographically speaking it’s close to the area you’ll be able to go to in the [Episode Duscae] demo.

Re Cidney:

Famitsu: You’re eyes are sort of just drawn to her cleavage, you know?

Tabata: Yeah. The person overseeing her really put his all into the character, added a load of details. At first there was so much jiggle I wasn’t sure what to do about it. (laughs)

Famitsu: They jiggled at one point, huh? (laughs) So, what kind of character is she?

Tabata: She’s not deeply involved in the main story. She’s an engineer who will be useful to you on your travels. She’ll appear in the demo as well. When you think of Final Fantasy “Cid” is an irreplaceable part of that, so maybe she’s related to “Cid” somehow?

Famitsu:
    Wait, you mean she’s [the Cid]?!

Tabata:...Maybe. (laughs)

Re Titan (summon)

Famitsu: With the Eidolons being that big how would that even work? ... Speaking of which, is the battle system against giant monsters different from a regular battle?

Tabata: Fundamentally they’re the same. There are cases where they’ll be fight-specific actions or fight-specific team-attacks but you won’t be seeing the [fundamental] system change just because it’s a boss fight.

Re Weapons

Tabata: The Phantom Sword is an exotic weapon, when Noctis unleashes his power swords will fly around the area around him, severing off the damage you take. When you’re in that state your Attack rises greatly and, on top of automatically guarding enemy attacks, you’ll be able to move at high speed. And there’s a powered-up state even beyond that.

Re Chocobos

Famitsu: A mountainous region seems like a Chocobo’s natural habitat.

Tabata: They’re in the game, but unfortunately we couldn’t get them into the demo. Speaking of Chocobos, they come in the wild variety as well as the kind you can rent from Chocobo Stations. The latter are [bred] for riding. You won’t be able to rent them in the demo, but we’re planning to have the Chocobo Station facility be in it.

Re Camping

Famitsu: I’m interested in the camping elements. If I remember correctly it’s an interwoven part of the gameplay isn’t it?

Tabata: That’s right. Keep in mind you’re exploring a world with a night and day, where time moves. We added the camping to add a lifestyle regularity to proceedings. You fight enemies and gain experience and such, and when you lay down a camp and rest there that EXP will be added to your character. In addition your condition will restored to default.

Famitsu: So hold up - if you level up by resting at camps doesn’t that actually make them really important! Is there any restriction on when you can use the camp? Like only at night or something like that?

Tabata: You can use it at any time of day. It’s not time dependant but you will have to find a safe place first. For that reason you’ll end up exploring the field using your camp as a central set-out point. The hotels in towns fulfil the same function.

Famitsu: Can you use the camp multiple times in one day?

Tabata: If you use the camp time progresses to the next day, so there’s not much merit in using it repeatedly. (laughs) However I think it’s best if you stick to a cyclical play style to some extent, so fighting in the day and resting using the camp at night – you get some perks that way, for example, bonus multipliers getting applied to EXP gain. Oh, and Ignis will cook for you when you’re at camp.

Re demo:

Famitsu:
    So there are lots of elements [like this] in battles to stop players from getting bored, right?

Tabata: Final Fantasy XV has a vast world, so we wanted the try and maintain the players’ enthusiasm throughout. We’re still not sure if we’ll have magic in the [Episode Duscae] demo, but we’re planning to have combos, team-attacks, summoning, basically the whole complement of the battle system and even some things that aren’t even going to be in the final release.

http://automaton.am/articles/news-bits/tabata-type-0-hd-cameos-game-adjustments-development-stories-part-i/

So there might be more than one Cid.

Not sure if I would have preferred jiggle or not. It tends to get distracting when there isn't any, depending on the design.

I equate that to "why can't I shoot this TV?" in some games. When a thing becomes a technical norm, it becomes a bit strange when one game doesn't have it.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Ugh. I really hope she gets very little screentime, that interview question gave me absolutely no hope in their ability to handle it maturely.

Steam profile
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Well if it was that way on the DS, then I'm already familiar with it, because the DS is where I have played FF3.

I own FF4 on the DS, and I think I even played through it on there once, but I prefer the PSP Version of that game, which I own digitally on my Vita. The Complete Story or whatever its called.

Man I love FF4.

I'm currently at work but I bought it since it went into sale a couple of weeks back. I'll try to upload a video in my channel see if you like it.

Also, for those that are kinda interested (for collection purposes?) since FF7 is a daily deal, all FF games are discounted further. FF13 is at its cheapest right now.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Ugh. I really hope she gets very little screentime, that interview question gave me absolutely no hope in their ability to handle it maturely.

Japanese developers tend to openly admit about the level of cheesecake they put or want to put in their games. This isn't necessarily a solid admittance that Cidney is just going to be walking, pandering fanservice.

Tabata clearly has his own perversions, but he's also shown he's willing to listen to community feedback. That's why I'm interested which side will end up being more vocal: the NA side who seem against Cidney's design, or the Japanese side who seem totally in favor of it.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Aww, I missed Ivalice discussion?

I just want to say that I adore TA2's generics. I love their designs, and resent that parts of the game is gated behind giving up slots to unique-but-useless characters like Al-Cid and... well, just Al-Cid, really. You don't deserve that spot in my clan unless you can change jobs.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Re Cidney:

Tabata: Yeah. The person overseeing her really put his all into the character, added a load of details. At first there was so much jiggle I wasn’t sure what to do about it. (laughs)

Famitsu: They jiggled at one point, huh? (laughs) So, what kind of character is she?
    :|

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Vana'diel and Eorza are pretty much the best things square ever did.

Vana'diel in particular is just such a well crafted world. Even locations of towns, forts and outposts make sense if you read background stuff. It's so good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Re Cidney:

:|

I mean, we all love Yoshi-P.

But man does he love to talk about catgirl boobs.

It's kind of a thing with these developers.

• Options
    It's called being genuine. Something western developers forgot how to do long ago.

Cuz if ffxi and ffxiv are any indication, at least half the game population like catgirl boobs quite a bit too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's called being genuine. Something western developers forgot how to do long ago.

Cuz if ffxi and ffxiv are any indication, at least half the game population like catgirl boobs quite a bit too.

And this is a horrible state for games and FF to be in, so excuse me if I express my displeasure.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Tabata's Famitsu interview translated (Final Fantasy XV | Type-0 HD) #1
    Re Lestallum (town)

Famitsu: Can you talk to the NPCs?

Tabata: Of course. This town, Lestallum, is a kind of base of operations. If you break the game down broadly into an opening section, middle and ending section you could say it’s the main town during the opening section. Here you’ll gain information and secure goods whilst travelling the surrounding areas.

Famitsu: You said before that “road tripping” would be a theme for this game so I had this idea that you’d just be moving from place to place, but you have a base as well, huh?

Tabata: To be really precise it’s not actually a base, but I’d imagine it will feel that way to those playing, who might think “Huh, okay, I should return to Restalm soon”. When the story moves on it’s the kind of place you’ll drop by to stock-up before moving on. Geographically speaking it’s close to the area you’ll be able to go to in the [Episode Duscae] demo.

Re Cidney:

Tabata: She’s not deeply involved in the main story. She’s an engineer who will be useful to you on your travels. She’ll appear in the demo as well. When you think of Final Fantasy “Cid” is an irreplaceable part of that, so maybe she’s related to “Cid” somehow?

Famitsu:
    Wait, you mean she’s [the Cid]?!

Tabata:...Maybe. (laughs)

Re Titan (summon)

Famitsu: With the Eidolons being that big how would that even work? ... Speaking of which, is the battle system against giant monsters different from a regular battle?

Tabata: Fundamentally they’re the same. There are cases where they’ll be fight-specific actions or fight-specific team-attacks but you won’t be seeing the [fundamental] system change just because it’s a boss fight.

Re Weapons

Tabata: The Phantom Sword is an exotic weapon, when Noctis unleashes his power swords will fly around the area around him, severing off the damage you take. When you’re in that state your Attack rises greatly and, on top of automatically guarding enemy attacks, you’ll be able to move at high speed. And there’s a powered-up state even beyond that.

Re Chocobos

Famitsu: A mountainous region seems like a Chocobo’s natural habitat.

Tabata: They’re in the game, but unfortunately we couldn’t get them into the demo. Speaking of Chocobos, they come in the wild variety as well as the kind you can rent from Chocobo Stations. The latter are [bred] for riding. You won’t be able to rent them in the demo, but we’re planning to have the Chocobo Station facility be in it.

Re Camping

Famitsu: I’m interested in the camping elements. If I remember correctly it’s an interwoven part of the gameplay isn’t it?

Tabata: That’s right. Keep in mind you’re exploring a world with a night and day, where time moves. We added the camping to add a lifestyle regularity to proceedings. You fight enemies and gain experience and such, and when you lay down a camp and rest there that EXP will be added to your character. In addition your condition will restored to default.

Famitsu: So hold up - if you level up by resting at camps doesn’t that actually make them really important! Is there any restriction on when you can use the camp? Like only at night or something like that?

Tabata: You can use it at any time of day. It’s not time dependant but you will have to find a safe place first. For that reason you’ll end up exploring the field using your camp as a central set-out point. The hotels in towns fulfil the same function.

Famitsu: Can you use the camp multiple times in one day?

Tabata: If you use the camp time progresses to the next day, so there’s not much merit in using it repeatedly. (laughs) However I think it’s best if you stick to a cyclical play style to some extent, so fighting in the day and resting using the camp at night – you get some perks that way, for example, bonus multipliers getting applied to EXP gain. Oh, and Ignis will cook for you when you’re at camp.

Re demo:

Famitsu:
    So there are lots of elements [like this] in battles to stop players from getting bored, right?

Tabata: Final Fantasy XV has a vast world, so we wanted the try and maintain the players’ enthusiasm throughout. We’re still not sure if we’ll have magic in the [Episode Duscae] demo, but we’re planning to have combos, team-attacks, summoning, basically the whole complement of the battle system and even some things that aren’t even going to be in the final release.

http://automaton.am/articles/news-bits/tabata-type-0-hd-cameos-game-adjustments-development-stories-part-i/

So there might be more than one Cid.

Not sure if I would have preferred jiggle or not. It tends to get distracting when there isn't any, depending on the design.

I equate that to "why can't I shoot this TV?" in some games. When a thing becomes a technical norm, it becomes a bit strange when one game doesn't have it.

There's nothing more fundamentally wrong with jigglephysics than with hairphysics. An issue might be that the person in charge of adjusting it is apparently prompting other people on the team to step in all, "er, what are you doing? This cleavage was not supposed to have a bossfight. Yes, I noticed that it isn't reused assets. How did you have time to design this? You hired Platinum? That isn't in the budget."

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

And this is a horrible state for games and FF to be in, so excuse me if I express my displeasure.

Seriously what the fuck kind of thing to say is that? Horrible sexism is "being genuine" so we should all just accept it and apparently applaud it?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    It is what it is.

I would rather this then them trying to double talk it. It's going to be in the game regardless. A majority don't care, or enjoy it. That's how capitalism works.

You can dislike it all you want! I think that's super and you keep on keeping on. Let your conscience be your guide and all that.

I like people who are honest and straight forward and will be much more likely to support their work.

Also if that's your idea of horrible sexism... Well. Cool.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Uh yes giant tits and cleavage for no reason and jiggle physics because why not and hahahaha let's laugh about it because... is horrible sexism

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    And no it actually DOESN'T have to be in the game

They could have very easily designed her character without the tits

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    God forbid the director answered a question asked by Famitsu. It's not like this was a PR statement of "look at our physics engine!". It was a Q&A interview.

There's a very large difference between being honest in an interview question and using breast physics as an entire marketing technique Tecmo Koei Dead or Alive style.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Here I thought horrible sexism was like being excluded from jobs, the behavior of the military, sharia law...

Dang, better put polygon boobies between forced marriage and dowry practices on the sexism scale. Truly horrible.

Also, they didn't want to do something different.

The majority of the people buying the game don't care or enjoy it.

So. Yes, I mean they 'did' because they want to and there is no reason for them not to.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Uh yes giant tits and cleavage for no reason and jiggle physics because why not and hahahaha let's laugh about it because... is horrible sexism
    And no it actually DOESN'T have to be in the game

They could have very easily designed her character without the tits
    Tabata: [...] At first there was so much jiggle I wasn’t sure what to do about it. (laughs)

Famitsu: They jiggled at one point, huh? (laughs)

I'm not sure about that interpretation.

PLA on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Also if that's your idea of horrible sexism... Well. Cool.
    Here I thought horrible sexism was like being excluded from jobs, the behavior of the military, sharia law...

Dang, better put polygon boobies between forced marriage and dowry practices on the sexism scale. Truly horrible.
    Oh my god

Is this really a thing that's happening on the PA forums at the start of 2015

Are you seriously mansplaining to women what kind of sexism they're permitted to have a problem with

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    And now we're using derogatory sexist language like mansplaining. :(

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    And now we're using derogatory sexist language like mansplaining. :(

Well, don't do it and it won't have to be said.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    People constantly forget that it's not inherently sexist to have a female character showing her body off. If her character is not bereft of agency(we don't know), or if she's not there purely as a sex object(we don't know) then it's not sexist.

People praised Bayonetta's design because while she was sexualized, naked half the time, and the game does ridiculous camera shots of her crotch, the game never treated her like her design was there just to titillate, and she wasn't a sex object.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I think understanding sexism is just as important as cultural acceptance.

This was a japenese inteview. Their handling of these things is different.

We dislike it here, maybe we are "more advanced" then. But in the vein of understanding others, labeling it that is just as bad.

Also, one should know better than to EVER defend sexualizing women here, honesty or not.

• Options
    People constantly forget that it's not inherently sexist to have a female character showing her body off. If her character is not bereft of agency(we don't know), or if she's not there purely as a sex object(we don't know) then it's not sexist.

People praised Bayonetta's design because while she was sexualized, naked half the time, and the game does ridiculous camera shots of her crotch, the game never treated her like her design was there just to titillate, and she wasn't a sex object.

Of course

However, I have absolutely no faith that Cidney will be anything like Bayonetta

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Neither do I, but I also know I can't call Cidney's design sexist without knowing how the game treats her, not just what she looks like.

Honestly, the most sexist thing Square could do with that character IMO is to not make her the game's actual Cid, but just a nod to him and he's actually still in there too. The implication that they couldn't just let a woman be a cool mechanic would drive me insane after they went halfway. I don't expect that though.

If she's just a cool mechanic and the game's Cid, the fact that she shows off cleavage will not be remotely offensive to me. Only if they make her inept or just constantly trying to get sexual attention from the cast of guys the game features.

• Options
    Neither do I, but I also know I can't call Cidney's design sexist without knowing how the game treats her, not just what she looks like.

Honestly, the most sexist thing Square could do with that character IMO is to not make her the game's actual Cid, but just a nod to him and he's actually still in there too. The implication that they couldn't just let a woman be a cool mechanic would drive me insane after they went halfway. I don't expect that though.

If she's just a cool mechanic and the game's Cid, the fact that she shows off cleavage will not be remotely offensive to me. Only if they make her inept or just constantly trying to get sexual attention from the cast of guys the game features.

I dunno...It's still offensive because mechanics don't dress like that, and there is no reason for her to dress like that except titillation.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Anime and manga are chock full of cool lady mechanics, though. It would be ridiculous to have her just be some sort of temp filler for the "real" Cid. Let them draw some inspiration from Winry or something.

Artereis on
This discussion has been closed.