As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Man two dead runs. That race was nasty.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yay Chrono Trigger. Always my favorite run of any GDQ event.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Every time I see Chrono Trigger being played, it makes me want to play it too. (...And also pretend Chrono Cross wasn't the follow up to(and the end of) the Chrono Trigger legacy.)

I think I'll have to fire up my Vita for a bit this weekend and re-download the PS1 version.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Chrono Trigger music still godlike. I can just leave that shit on the background and listen to it.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    That Yakra skip is great

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    "Is Iwata okay?"

"Yep. He's just fine."

*sobs*

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    "STOP CLAPPING! GO TO SLEEP"

and I am missing GDQ already

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    That was really damn good.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The OP does not lie: I got links to just about everything worth watching in the OP.

If there is a solid run that you feel deserves mention, speak up!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Every time I see Chrono Trigger being played, it makes me want to play it too. (...And also pretend Chrono Cross wasn't the follow up to(and the end of) the Chrono Trigger legacy.)
    Man, Chrono Cross is fucking fantastic, its story is just Dark Souls levels of brainfuck. Also, one of the best soundtracks period.

• Options
    There's always the Hundred Acre Wood spinoff, Chrono Tigger.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Whatever misgivings you may have about Chrono Cross' weirdness and how it kinda fucked over Trigger's characters, there is no way in hell you can argue against this shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J46RY4PU8a8

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Man, Chrono Cross is fucking fantastic, its story is just Dark Souls levels of brainfuck. Also, one of the best soundtracks period.

My whole problem with it is that it tries too hard to both connect itself to CT, but also distance itself from CT to not alienate people who might not have played CT. So it ends up as some bizarre webwork of what the fuck with the disjointed plot points and plot points that they put in and then suddenly whitewashed over(Guile) because they just had to go full Suikoden and bloat out the story with something like forty-odd characters because reasons, and as a result real character development had to be taken out back and shot in order to fit that many in.

*deep breath*

And that's part of why I can't bring myself to play that game again. Though yes I will agree that if it was a game in its own right I'd really like it, and it has an amazing soundtrack.

• Options
    I maintain that Chrono Trigger is the best JRPG I've ever played, and when I first finished it, it gave me this great feeling of joy and completeness. Cross was like, my most anticipated thing ever man. When I finished that game, it was really weird. I was pretty sure I enjoyed playing it but I felt... tired? Like I had to lie down, take a long nap, and maybe think about it later. Even today I'm not sure if I think it's a great or stupid game.

CT was delightful and straightforward (even thought it does have some darkly serious moments) while CC was brooding and tangled because I guess Xenogears was a thing to emulate or something. As a followup to CT, it's incredibly bizarre.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    @Bobkins Flymo I think Hotline Miami 2 and Oblivion deserve to be mentioned in the OP as well.
    Hotline Miami 2 was a smooth run with some exceptional commentary and a really chill couch. Oblivion was just insane - the whole run is based on consuming drugs as fast as possible. Commentary was great, too.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    You know, Chrono Trigger turns 20 this month. Might be a good excuse to make a new thread.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    The OP does not lie: I got links to just about everything worth watching in the OP.

You sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    You know, Chrono Trigger turns 20 this month. Might be a good excuse to make a new thread.
    someone could buy it for me and make me play it for the first time

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

I have had a lot of experience with this via la-mulana and let me tell you it's a lot easier to do the first bit

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    cB557 wrote: »

I also haven't played it either. Or Cross. Then again I don't own an SNES anymore since my brother sold it a couple years ago, so any carts would be wasted on me.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Trigger is also on NDS, PSX, Virtual Console, iOS, Android...

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I maintain that Chrono Trigger is the best JRPG I've ever played, and when I first finished it, it gave me this great feeling of joy and completeness. Cross was like, my most anticipated thing ever man. When I finished that game, it was really weird. I was pretty sure I enjoyed playing it but I felt... tired? Like I had to lie down, take a long nap, and maybe think about it later. Even today I'm not sure if I think it's a great or stupid game.

CT was delightful and straightforward (even thought it does have some darkly serious moments) while CC was brooding and tangled because I guess Xenogears was a thing to emulate or something. As a followup to CT, it's incredibly bizarre.

IIRC, Xenogears actually started off as a sequel to Chrono Trigger, but everything went so far off the deep end that they changed it. The Lucca cameo in Lahan Village is nice, though.

And, man, I'd love for SE to make a new Chrono game.

• Options
    i'd love for alphadream to make one

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'd prefer Chrono Trigger were just left alone. No remakes beyond the anime cutscene splices we've gotten so far, no direct sequels. Just let it stay as one of the best single game experiences of all time. It told the story it needed to tell, in the way it needed to tell it. Not everything has to be rehashed and sequelized.

Chrono Cross, while being an okay game, was the blatant sort of Chrono cash-in it never needed.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

The bioshock infinite run was cool and well commentated.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'd prefer Chrono Trigger were just left alone. No remakes beyond the anime cutscene splices we've gotten so far, no direct sequels. Just let it stay as one of the best single game experiences of all time. It told the story it needed to tell, in the way it needed to tell it. Not everything has to be rehashed and sequelized.

Chrono Cross, while being an okay game, was the blatant sort of Chrono cash-in it never needed.

The only reason I'd think a new Chrono game would be appropriate is if they managed to pull together a majority of the same team that did the first one... and even then, I kind of think I'd rather they make something that's not directly related.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Just watched the Boshy and Shovel knight vods, both of which are awesome. I'm watching the Zombies Ate My Neighbors one now to see how that one goes.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    And then Lightning came from the future and saved everyone with her super powers of dullness and poor writing.

There, I've saved you playing a modern SE CT game.

• Options
    I hope everyone enjoyed the GDQ marathons this year! The marathon has gotten so big recently, with this being the first year that SGDQ passed the million mark. Just some last-minute reminders for people.
    • Today is the last day to buy SGDQ 2015 shirts from the Yetee. I believe the cutoff time is midnight central, but don't quote me on that. If you want a shirt, now is the time to get it! Three dollars of your purchase still goes to MSF and your shirt will arrive in a few weeks.
    • The Humble Bundle sale is over. If you're looking at a SGDQ 2015 game and it's on sale, then that's for some other sale they got going on and your purchase won't go toward MSF.
    • From what I can tell, regular donations are still open for now. With the bonus stream gone I'm not sure how long they will remain open, so consider donating if you hadn't got the chance this week.
    • Another reminder that the OP has links to good runs! If you missed out on the fun this week, give it a look. I am taking recommendations and slowly adding them to the OP.

Until AGDQ 2016!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    And then Lightning came from the future and saved everyone with her super powers of dullness and poor writing.

There, I've saved you playing a modern SE CT game.

Does Mitsuda do the OST? If so, that'd still be worth the purchase.

• Options
    Chrono Cross is a good game but a bad sequel is probably the best way to put it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Hey, @Bobkins Flymo, there's a couple of broken links to VODs on the OP:

[url=Pokemon Puzzle League: Superhuman puzzle solving.
    [url=]Chrono Trigger:[/url] Another lengthy JRPG to wrap up the marathon.

Just tought I'd let you know. And I also wanna see those :)

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Catching up on some runs that I missed.

Pokemon Blue was fucking crazy.

Yoshi's Island was great. I've only seen Trihex do any% before, so 100% is a real treat.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Man, the OP got me really interested to watch the Crash Bandicoot 2 run and see just what the hell happened.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    It's really great imo you should watch it
    http://youtu.be/titkH0UWjXM
    It was apparently too great for the gdq official youtube

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, I'm watching it on their Twitch channel now.

DO YOU GUYS LIKE SUICIDE JOKES

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    they aren't even going to put it on the official channel?

harsh

fair, but harsh

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    also I hadn't heard about the kirby's avalanche run going poorly before, anything specific happen?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i watched kirby's avalanche a bit, it was fine and a good run from my memory of it? but i was doing some other stuff while it was on.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    also I hadn't heard about the kirby's avalanche run going poorly before, anything specific happen?
    It's not a trainwreck like the Crash 2 run, from what I've heard. Just a shaky run with underwhelming commentary.

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.