As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited July 2016 in Games and Technology
FB2dgg0.png
Next Marathon: Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 (January 8th-15th)

What is Games Done Quick?

Games Done Quick (GDQ) is an annual speedrunning marathon done by the Speed Demos Archive, a site dedicated to the hobby. It's basically a week-long, nonstop marathon of speedrunners playing video games as fast as possible to raise money for charity. GDQ has become increasingly popular over the years, raising over 2.5 million dollars for charities in 2016!

In fact, the marathon is so big that there are actually two marathons: Awesome Games Done Quick raises money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation in the winter, and Summer Games Done Quick (SGDQ) raising money for Médecins Sans Frontières aka Doctors Without Borders in, well, the summer. AGDQ was the original marathon, and thus tends to be the bigger event of the two, but SGDQ has been catching up on its older sibling, managing to raise more than the winter marathon in 2016.

How do I watch?

Everything is shown via their Twitch Channel, and there are typical several alternate language restreams available for those interested. Also, there's a sister marathon, Pinball Done Quick, that runs concurrently with GDQ over here.

Older marathons are generally saved on the Twitch channel, but there's an official GDQ YouTube Channel which uploads marathons starting with AGDQ 2014, so don't worry about missing a run. There's also SDA's Channel, which has some older marathons archived. If all else fails, a lot of the really old runs are collected on various YouTube channels. Just do a search!

If you are super impatient, there is the speedrun subreddit that is very fast at collecting Twitch VoDs and organizing them in an easy-to-read chart. Note that the official YouTube channel is getting increasingly fast at uploading runs, with runs being uploaded DURING the marathon, so this shouldn't be as necessary. The only caveat to YouTube is that the staff are busy with, you know, running the marathon, so initial uploads may be of iffy quality. If that is the case, these uploads will usually be replaced with better ones usually the week or so after the marathon ends.

How can I contribute?

When marathons are live, you can donate just by hitting the big DONATE button on the site. You can leave comments with your donation to be read during the stream, but they've been really cutting back on this so the runners can actually focus and provide commentary. You're only going to get read on the stream if you have a really funny comment, are a family member/close friend of the runner, or have a particularly touching story relating to cancer. Oh, and if all else fails you can also donate shitton of money. They'll definitely read the comment of someone who drops a few hundred. But ultimately. the marathon has just gotten too popular for everyone's comments to be read, so don't hold your breath.

But there are other perks for donating! Certain blocks will have giveaways for people who donate within that period. They are usually related to the game block (Mario stuff during a string of Mario speed runs, etc.) and can range from homemade perlers to rare copies of the games being played. There's also a grand giveaway for EVERYONE who donated, which usually involved some hardware being given away with some games. So plenty incentive to donate right there.

Another fun thing for donators are the incentives and bid wars. Incentives are a goal that you can put your money towards in order to make a particular run more interesting. This can be playing as a particular character, higher difficulties, blindfolded runs, and so forth. Bid wars let everyone put their money towards making some decision for the runner. Bid wars commonly occur over things like what to name characters in RPGs. Check out the schedule to see incentives and bid wars and just mention what you'd like your money to go towards when you donate.

You can subscribe to GDQ's Twitch channel, and proceeds from that will go to charity. I assume the perk of this is that you get to access chat during sub-only mode (but this happens rarely, if ever) and you can use annoying chat emotes. There's also the Yetee which releases unique GDQ shirts that are only available during the marathons. All profit made on the shirts will go towards the marathon total, so it's another way to donate. Finally, the Humble Bundle Store usually has some kind of arrangement with GDQ during the marathon. Sometimes it's a bundle, and sometimes it's a sale on their storefront. Either way: a cut of the proceeds go towards the charity total. Specific donation options will be provided once the run is under way.

Can I attend the live runs? Could I one day run a game during an GDQ?

You can attend a marathon on-location in basically three ways: a spectator, a runner, or a volunteer. If you just want to show up and watch some runs, then this will cover the details. Keep in mind that this isn't like a convention: it runs 24/7 for a week solid, so you need to keep an eye on the schedule since it's common for runs to get pushed back or moved forward, and you may have to stay up at weird hours if your favorite game is being run at 3am. Also, just to be clear, the marathon has gotten huge at this point, and the vast majority of spectators watch the runs via a projector. It's still probably a good time, but if you think it's just the runner and the people directly behind the couch...well...I got news for you.

Volunteers have to fill out a form that will go up on the SDA Forums a few months prior to the event. In order to volunteer, you must still follow the same process as an attendee, including any registration and travel costs. You will be reimbursed your registration fee after the marathon, which is just a way to discourage people from flaking out since a 24/7 marathon can't afford absentees. Volunteer jobs include running the donation counter, filtering comments for the host to read, actually hosting, and general tech help.

Runners have to submit a video of their run several months in advance (and the specific run you wish to do at the marathon), and the selection process is TIGHT. For SGDQ 2015, they rejected over 1500 hours of gameplay. I think having an established Twitch or YouTube channel helps, as it shows that you can behave in public and tends to be less risky than picking some anonymous person who could turn out to be a real jerk. No guarantees, however, as even Speedrun Superstars get submissions rejected. I'll try to post when they've opened submissions for runners/volunteers, but it's normally in the early fall/spring depending on the marathon. Also important: runners are volunteers. Do not submit if you dream of getting paid to play a video game. You are going to travel what is likely a long distance just to play a game for a short duration and then you're done. This is for charity, after all. HOWEVER, your twitch channel will get advertised during your run, so if you have dreams of being a ~*Twitch Superstar*~ then it is good exposure.

Which runs should I watch from SGDQ 2016?

This list is by no means comprehensive. Some of it I've watched personally and can recommend, whereas others are from general opinions I've heard about the marathon.

Super Mario Sunshine - A solid opener to the marathon
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - Great debut run for this game.
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Amazing relay race by excellent runners.
Catherine - Two players, but only one runner. A must-watch.
Awful Block (Start, Finish) - Good job!
Link's Awakening DX - A nice, glitchy run of the Game Boy classic.
Bioshock - In a game about objectivism, one runner dares to take a subjective look at endings.
Dishonored - A solid run.
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - The glitch is strong with this one.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - It's a blindfolded run. Even the shopkeep is an obstacle.
Freedom Planet - A cool Milla run with dev commentary!
Dustforce DX - Tense and laid back at the same time. YOTTAAAAAAAAAAA
Super Meat Boy - Another solid run of a GDQ staple.
Momodora - The most heartwarming run of the marathon. If you can only watch one run, make it this.
Braid - A lot of cool tricks here. World record!
Donkey Kong 64 - Glitch Town
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) - Not in the awful block, but still awful.
Donkey Kong Country 3 - Great race.
Quack Shot - I didn't see this, but people liked it.
Final and Ultimate Doom - DOOOOOOOOOOOM
Jak and Daxter - Just watch it.
Tetris: The Grand Master - Where we're going, we don't need TAS.
The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim - The run with the highest turnout, so might be of note.
Two Worlds - It takes a village.
Mark of the Ninja - Solid run with good commentary
Crypt of the Necrodancer - Sorry Danny
Trine 3: Artifacts of Power - A nice co-op run of a fun puzzle platformer.
Super Mario Bros. 3 - A real fun run with goofy commentary.
Super Mario World - An excellent race with excellent play.
Super Mario Maker - A Kaizo relay race.
Pepsiman - Pepsi for TV-game
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Mostly for the glitch exhibition after the main run.
Pikmin - Watch how this game can wreck even the WR holder. Twitch VOD because YouTube muted the run.
Trauma Center: Second Opinion - Watch a guy kill body aliens real fast.
Pokemon Blue - Let's get the badges in reverse.
TASBot Block - Once again, we are humbled by our robotic betters.
Final Fantasy VI - A nice glitchy run. Also, a million dollars!
Super Metroid - Are you next?
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - An journey of a thousand miles begins with a single jump.
Super Mario 64 - We close out the marathon with an encore race!

These aren't the only good runs! Check out the YouTube channel for more!

What is this "bonus stream" I keep hearing about?

So after the marathon there was a period where people who are sticking around would stream random games. These were not always speed runs, and popular activities include things like Smash Bros. money matches, Mario Party, and competitive Yoshi's Cookie. Yes, you heard the last one correctly. There's also a tendency for more obscure and weird games to be run during this post-marathon event.

In past years, the bonus stream actually lasted a decent amount of time. It was fairly long: like a whole week after the main marathon ended. However, as the event has grown, the bonus streams got shorter and shorter as the event grew more complex and demanded more tech support. These people do, in fact, have lives and once key tech people leave the good times have to end, and the bonus stream for AGDQ 2015 didn't even last a day. After AGDQ 2015, the Bonus Streams were officially discontinued. These events are just too big and the staff is too tired to keep going for a few more days after already putting in a straight week of work.

What does X means?
  • 100% - completing a run while grabbing every item, collectible, etc. The definition of 100% varies from game-to-game.
  • any% - completing a run as fast as possible. The only thing that matters is speed, although some games have "warpless" or "glitchless" Any% runs to keep things interesting.
  • low% - the opposite of 100%: completing the game while grabbing on the bare minimum of items necessary to finish.
  • X% - some games have special runs that have been found fun to run. This can involve grabbing all of a specific item that may not count towards 100%, playing as certain characters, or refraining from using certain glitches.
  • damage boosting - taking advantage of the brief invincibility that most games have after you take damage to bypass certain areas quickly. Sometimes the knockback from taking damage is also useful in accessing areas.
  • frames - refers to frames of animation. Tends to be a fancy way of saying "portions of a second" as games tend to animate at 30 or 60 frames per second. So in a 60 fps game, a "frame perfect" technique means you only have 1/60th of a second in which to pull it off. There's also terms like "I-frames" which refers to "invulnerability frames" during which your character (or sometimes an enemy) cannot be hurt
  • IL - Individual Level. These means a run of just a specific part of the game, which means when something goes wrong there's less to lose because restarting is less painful. As a result, runners tend to use riskier strategies and tricks since flubbing them means you just go back to the beginning of that stage instead of having to start the whole run over.
  • marathon luck - normally invoked with some sarcasm, but basically odd flukes or bad or good luck that only seem to happen when you are streaming in front of an audience of tens of thousands. Usually followed by statements of "this didn't happen in practice"
  • OOB - Out of Bounds. To leave the intended playable areas of the game, which can allow the player to skip large chunks of the game. Some games have No-OOB categories because, in many cases, you can go out of bounds so much you're not really playing the game anymore.
  • RTA - Real-Time Attack. Basically the opposite of a TAS, where you do the run in real-time and have to rely on your own weak human reflexes. Also refers to using an actual timer instead of relying on any in-game timers.
  • race - Multiple players do independent runs at the same time to see who finishes first. The quality of these can run hot or cold, as sometimes one person takes a lead and dominates whereas others they get very neck and neck. Races can lead to exciting moments not see in normal runs, as a trailing player may be encouraged to do high-risk, high-reward strats in order to catch up.
  • safety strats - (aka "marathon strats") doing something that slows you down, but will save you a considerable amount of time if you mess up a particularly difficult upcoming section, such as grabbing extra health or taking time to hit a checkpoint
  • sequence break - Performing a trick or exploiting a bug so that you do an unintended skip over large chunks of the game. For example, using a glitch in Ocarina of Time to jump straight to the Ganon fight.
  • TAS - Tool-Assisted Speedrun, in which the runner uses an emulator when running the game. Normally involves having the game play at very slow speeds, sometimes frame-by-frame so certain strategies can be pulled off that would be impossible or extremely difficult with normal human reflexes. Obviously very dull to watch live, but there is a usually short segment during the marathon to show some recordings of neat TAS stuff.
  • zip - causing your character to fly through a stage or segment. Usually done by trying to squeeze your character into the stage itself (like a block or the ground) so they get stuck and the game forces them out by warping you at high speeds. Tends to be rather tricky to pull off.

Save the animals?

O8q7CzC.png

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Holy shit they're gonna speed run Fire Emblem PoR and RD? I wonder what the difficulty will be.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Depends on the game, I guess. I forget which games, but I know several allow enemy reinforcements to act immediately upon spawning. If it's at all random then that can quickly kill a run in FE if your broken character dies to a random reinforcement getting a crit of something.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    I really screwed up by not taking this entire week off of work. I wonder if I should just break a vial of influenza over my face or something. One of these years I'm going to catch the AwfulGDQ live.

Looking forward to lots of madness --- TASbot, F-Zero block, that block of NES action games on the 6th, SotN (always SotN), Ninja Gaiden relay race, a Tetris exhibition, probably lots more once I see it.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I catch glimpses here and there at work, but will sit and watch some of the streams of the more interesting people.
    Though I've found in the last couple of years I wait for the streams to get uploaded to Youtube to watch them. AGDQ was more interesting to me last year than SGDQ.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Obviously you didn't watch Metal Wolf Chaos at SGDQ last year then.

• Options
    I caught it afterwards. I was out of town at the time, and could only revel in it afterwards. That one I really wish I could have seen live.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Oh god, they are burning my avatar! It burns! Why does it burn?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    bssbss Brostoyevsky Madison, WIRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

That is a callback to last year, when in the middle of Trihex's Yoshi's Island run, the fire alarm went off, the room was evacuated, and then minutes later, after the stream sat in silence, fixed upon the empty room, somebody suddenly ran in to collect his plushie (no plushie left behind), complete with momentary glance at the camera, before darting back off. It was pretty great.

3DS: 2466-2307-8384 PSN: bssteph Steam: bsstephan Twitch: bsstephan
    Tabletop:13th Age (mm-mmm), D&D 4e
    Occasional words about games: my site
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    bss wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

That is a callback to last year, when in the middle of Trihex's Yoshi's Island run, the fire alarm went off, the room was evacuated, and then minutes later, after the stream sat in silence, fixed upon the empty room, somebody suddenly ran in to collect his plushie (no plushie left behind), complete with momentary glance at the camera, before darting back off. It was pretty great.
    Combined with the usual donation incentives for the Super Metroid runs, "kill the animals," and "save the animals."

• Options
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Importantly the room was abandoned with the flashing fire alarm light for an extended period, with nothing of interest in the room but that doll, staring helplessly into the camera

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    And they actually managed to put out a shirt design based on it before the marathon ended.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Depends on the game, I guess. I forget which games, but I know several allow enemy reinforcements to act immediately upon spawning. If it's at all random then that can quickly kill a run in FE if your broken character dies to a random reinforcement getting a crit of something.

I know from experience that Path of Radiance, at least, can be completely soloed by Ike at the normal difficulty, with the only speedbump being the chapters just before he promotes. I'd imagine that a few extra units thrown out into the line of fire to pick up some extra experience points and buffer Ike against excess damage could easily tip it into manageable territory. Compared to FE7 or Sacred Stones (which they tried and failed at last year, I believe), it's a cakewalk.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Oh man, this totally snuck up on me. I'm super excited, last years' GDQ events were both fantastic. My absolute favorite run from last year is definitely CGN's F-Zero GX speedrun. It is a crazy display of mastery and risktaking and just a total pleasure to watch. The commentary is also very well done, explaining a lot of what's going into the run to shave frames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrepvisxA0

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    For me, I doubt anything can ever top last year's blindfolded Super Punch-Out run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSr3aXd4XuQ

Billmaan on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Zallard is running Splatterhouse this year, not quite as exciting as blindfolded punchout but it was fun watching him get the records earlier this year.

• Options
    I like how The Binding of Isaac is apparently a race? I assume they must be using Spidermod or something, otherwise that'd be kind of weird.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I like how The Binding of Isaac is apparently a race? I assume they must be using Spidermod or something, otherwise that'd be kind of weird.

You can race in Rebirth by using seeds.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ...except Rebirth came out in like early November which is probably way after they were taking submissions. The schedule doesn't even say it's Rebirth.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Maybe they're using BoILR rules, where everyone starts from the same savefile and it's a best of 3.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular

Binding of Isaac Racing League

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eYbrDuPk9Y

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ...except Rebirth came out in like early November which is probably way after they were taking submissions. The schedule doesn't even say it's Rebirth.

Precisely, being able to do it in Rebirth is irrelevant.

But yeah, BoILR is possible/probable I suppose, I knew of it but never really looked into how they actually handled it before.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Let's hope for a few less Tomba (was that the awkward run?) type runs this year

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Wrongo that was great
    All runs should be performed by a player next to someone making them super irritated

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'd love to see them do a Metroid race where all the runners used the Justin Bailey code. I'm sure it would take longer to set up the game than it would to actually complete, but I think it'd be entertaining to watch.

• Options
    Shirts are up

The Animals one is fucking awesome

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The animals one is fucking awesome, and then I saw that it glows in the dark.

Fuck.

They have discovered my weakness; a profound love of things that glow in the dark.

Hell, add LEDs to it and it'd almost literally be my kryptonite.

Usually I just contribute to the stream itself, but I think this year I'm in for a shirt.

Even though I'll probably have a lot to explain when I forget what I'm wearing and end up in just the wrong/right location.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    That's precisely why I don't think I'll get the shirt. I love the concept and the design is well done, but it could lead to a lot of awkward conversations.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Normally I'm not one to watch these kinds of streams, but I'm actually quite excited for this one. The selection of games seems pretty awesome.

Although I do wonder about some of those targeted completion times..like, how the hell can you beat Pokemon Red in 15 minutes?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    how the hell can you beat Pokemon Red in 15 minutes?

Insane glitches.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Pokemon Red was made of glitches, chewing-gum and paint.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    No sound, no stream, no hope, no AGDQ.

He says one minute before it all kicks off. Whoo biomarkers! Whooo science! Whooo practice room!

Absalon on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    GDQ time! Whoo!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I like this year's setup.Much more professional,clear callouts and news, and a good audience size. I'm sure there are big viewing areas, but it feels intimate.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Ooh, first death.

Cancer wins.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    It's worth noting, if you do want to participate in an actual moderated chat, check out the IRC chat room. I think there's a web client on the front page or something, or if you have an IRC client, you can join irc.quakenet.org (irc.quakenet.eu.org is the EU distribution server I believe) and join #sdamarathon

I don't think they have it in registered chat mode, but if things get out of hand they can turn it on, in which case you have to verify your username, https://www.quakenet.org/help/q/how-to-register-an-account-with-q should have the info on how to do it.

Basically, avoid the Twitch chat like the plague it is.

Edit: And while I was typing that, Notch makes his first $10k donation of the marathon.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    Notch: "I'm still incredibly rich."

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Holy shit, already broke 100k viewers... that is pretty impressive. Fundraising already broke $27k in a little over an hour, not including the Humble Bundle or The Yetee proceeds yet I'm sure. And yes, the new Humble Bundle is going towards the AGDQ cause.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Holy shit, already broke 100k viewers... that is pretty impressive. Fundraising already broke $27k in a little over an hour, not including the Humble Bundle or The Yetee proceeds yet I'm sure. And yes, the new Humble Bundle is going towards the AGDQ cause.
    First game done, over 32k in donations displayed on Twitch. Don't know if that includes the Yetee or Humble Bundle, but that's pretty insane.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    YeteeGlen usually saves up the Yetee proceeds and donates them throughout the marathon in pretty big chunks, usually to make the save/kill animals war interesting or to meet other big wars/incentives. I have no idea how the Humble Bundle stuff will be handled, guess we'll find out.

Edit: Oh shiiit, 0xwas is in the house? Japanese gamer who is really good at a bunch of runs, I don't think he has ever been to a GDQ event. That's pretty hype. Coming up during the Diddy Kong Racing race it looked like.

Dranyth on
This discussion has been closed.