As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Old thread, check out the new thread!

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Nah, now is the perfect time to level up all your jobs, and once you've done that, level up a new character on a 'European' server ... for when you're home on a weekday afternoon (or early weekend mornings) and your server's queues definitely aren't popping.

So come level a Tank/healer on Moogle. plz

Im on Moogle. Add Alds Pajamas, please.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yZXjxuoEGA

Has this been linked yet?

If not, here it is!

I want it to be a real thing.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    From the Q&A:
    Q: Will the Fat Chocobo fly?
    Y: Yes.

YES!!

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    From the Q&A:
    Q: Will the Fat Chocobo fly?
    Y: Yes.

YES!!

Should have clarified that with a "Off a cliff."

488W936.png
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Could you guys clarify something for me?

I've been playing the free trial for a week now and I can't continue with my first character as he just looks stupid (imo) in certain gear. For example I want someone who will actually suit the Archer gear, which he does NOT.

But there doesn't seem to be a way to transfer the craftable items from him to my second character.

I suppose since you can be any class you want with one char, SE decided a unified stash or some such wasn't needed? Am I screwed that way?

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You can't mail to yourself, since you can only mail to people on your friend list. Mail it to another who can mail it back to character 2.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Why don't they let you mail to yourself anyways?

Gold sellers?

If so, it's not working. I have to put on /busy the instant I log on because 99% of chat traffic is bot tells.

Edit: And that's not an exaggeration, either. If we're being honest this game has a serious issue with botting/goldsellers. They've even started spamming in the cities again on Cactaur.

Astale on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    You also can't transfer items in any way on a trial account.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Trial account I understand, that's the norm across the board for mmos.

I don't know if it actually helps anything, or is just a 'here is a feature you will get when you sub' thing.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »

If not, here it is!

Thancred: I'm helping!

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Did better than Minfilia.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »

If not, here it is!

Thancred: I'm helping!

The best part of that whole thing was Thancreds laugh > srs riffing on the infamous gif of the same thing.

2c1.gif

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Not mailing to yourself is a casualty of combating harassment mailing, and I for one think it is an acceptable loss.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Ugh, gil spammers are starting to get through my Guildwork app filter now, so I guess I need to update my filters.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    After Months the journey is finally over!

79MxhdU.jpg

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Info and Q&A from Nico nico live event:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/33teai/nico_super_fate_day_1_qa_and_other_stuff/

Q&A section:
    • A whole bunch of skills are coming between 51~60.
    • No, you don't get them every 5 levels.
    • Everyone will need to re-work their rotations.
    • There isn't enough space on the current HB/XHBs for all those actions. They have a plan.
    • POE-cap isn't being raised/removed because IL130 is a little high in the early stages of Ishgarde. (previous off record interviews mentioned that they'll be relevant up to l55)
    • next 24man raids coming in 3.1.
    • FC primal summoning has been delegated to 'some time later'.
    • Add-ons on back burner because 3.0 took priority. (they added too much stuff)
    • No plans to show TP.
    • New jobs aren't getting ZWs.
    • New ZW-like quests starting in 3.1. A bit of work has been put into the story.
    • New jobs will have primal weapons.
    • Summoner has been heavily reworked. Something something tri-disaster.
    • Expansion of armoury chest to come later.
    • Number of retainers going up. 4 maybe?
    • New housing wards comes after Ishgard.
    • Choco rank caps going up.
    • You need HW to be an Aura. No other conditions.
    • New roadmap planned for Wolves Den and other PVP.
    • A training mode for raids may come. Eventually.
    • Thinking of adjusting Steps.
    • New GS attractions start from 3.1
    • No plans for DX12

Lots more stuff in the link above but most of it was shown before.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Did better than Minfilia.

She coordinated!

Someone has to supervise.

• Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    • A whole bunch of skills are coming between 51~60.

A whole bunch?! I'm a little worried about skill overload. I feel like I have plenty of skills to juggle right now thank you very much!

• Options
    I'm pannicking about the thought of having to use a third hotbar as a Scholar.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    "There isn't enough space on the current HB/XHBs for all those actions. They have a plan."
    (my italics.)

Commodore75 on
  • Options
    Speaking of hotbar space: I currently bind Aetherflow and Shadow Flare together as a macro, to save room. Is that a bad idea?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    "There isn't enough space on the current HB/XHBs for all those actions. They have a plan."
    (my italics.)

Honestly, there are several things (like melee combos) that should have a built in macro of sorts. Like, if it's on the second part of the 1 -> 2 -> 3 combo, just let the same button do that.

I assume they're going to try and roll them up like that somehow.

Astale on
  • Options
    I wish there was a macro command to replace the slot with a different macro.

• Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    Astale wrote: »
    (my italics.)

Honestly, there are several things (like melee combos) that should have a built in macro of sorts. Like, if it's on the second part of the 1 -> 2 -> 3 combo, just let the same button do that.

I don't know how great that would be? At least as a tank. I sometimes butcher's block right after tomahawk to build up some quick aggro before going into a rotation. If it was a chained skill with one button you wouldn't be able to do that. Would certainly make dpsing easier I guess.

• Options
    (my italics.)

I can definitely see this, especially with Paladin joining pretty much every other melee class in having two sets of three-hit combos.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    (my italics.)

Yeah, like, the DRG 3-step Thrust combo should just be one button.

There is no reason you'd ever want to either repeat the same move or go backward in the combo, so it'd save a bit of hotbar space to simplify the combo into one button that rotates through each skill.

I'm also guessing that they might either remove some skills that never get used (what's up, Feint?) and/or combine existing skills.

I seriously doubt that the FF14 team will allow their game to have as much skill bloat as, say, SWTOR, since they need to keep it accessible to controller players.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    At long last, the dream is complete. I am ready for Heavensward story content.

Vpr1Tr2.png

Thanks to Delphi and company for helping me get this robe, and 2 sands, and a Turn 7 clear, and a whole bunch of fun. I am glad it was enjoyable for everyone who helped me get this robe. We should do this more often for fun and glamour on Saturday nights!

488W936.png
  • Options
    More Screencaps of Au Ra character creation. It seems they really do have a lot of options available!

http://ff14net.2chblog.jp/archives/44443304.html

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Some of the original Au Ra design concepts along with some Viera concept art as well

http://imgur.com/a/FchEw

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i would've fantasia'd into viera, honestly. i can see why they didn't, but still.

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I've never been so on the fence about an MMO in my life. I'm 10 days into the free trial and I'm no closer to deciding.

Positives:
    • The crafting/gathering jobs are a real treat, just so so good and I actually appreciate that they overlap and require other jobs.
    • Leves are a wonderful reason to go and see places. I like going out into the world to just do stuff. And getting rewards is all the better.
    • One class can be ANYTHING? How very EVE of you! :biggrin:
    • Nice variance in locales.
    • I didn't like it at first but auto-looting is actually pretty convenient.
    • Weather.
    • I imagine guild-related stuff is also really great. I mean, why wouldn't they be?
    • The 3 instances I'm allowed to do have been neat little loot pinatas that are quick and simple enough and usually give a tangible reward.
    • The waypoint/crystal system is great. Not too world-shrinking but doesn't prohibit exploring by making long journeys too long.

Negatives:
    • First, the big one; Sub. I just don't know if I'm capable of enjoying a monthly sub anymore. It has repeatedly tainted the fun of all but 3 other MMO's I've ever played. This might not be an exception (but maybe it will?)
    • I hate to be that guy but I really don't like the graphics much. Too flat and lifeless.
    • One class can be anything? but now I can't transfer stuff between alts because apparently I'll never decide my main doesn't look good in archer gear?
    • Seriously, NO SHARED BANK? Guild Wars 2 has ruined me...
    • Quests are, too put it politely, pretty damn boring. And the story is inane so far, to say the least.
    • FATEs seem utterly pointless, at least up to level 20. Apparently I need them for a shit-ton of a currency to afford a chocobo mount? Sounds pretty grindy...
    • I've played two classes (Archer and Lancer) and both have almost identical combat. 1,2,3,4,1,2,1,2,3,1,2,1,2,3,4 etc. The only difference is in range. Hope other classes are more varied.

I've probably missed a bunch of smaller good and bad stuff but they pretty much balance out.

Anyone know of a good place I can go to get a feel for max level? Videos, testimonials etc? I know an expac is coming out but I'm sure the core of the end-game won't change too drastically so anything current will do.

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    More Screencaps of Au Ra character creation. It seems they really do have a lot of options available!

http://ff14net.2chblog.jp/archives/44443304.html

We'll see what we can morph in to. I figure I'd switch over to Au Ra for at least a couple of weeks but I am really digging the little flair on the bodies. The horns are great and the scales are fantastic.

I am so toooooorn.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    I've never been so on the fence about an MMO in my life. I'm 10 days into the free trial and I'm no closer to deciding.

Positives:
    • The crafting/gathering jobs are a real treat, just so so good and I actually appreciate that they overlap and require other jobs.
    • Leves are a wonderful reason to go and see places. I like going out into the world to just do stuff. And getting rewards is all the better.
    • One class can be ANYTHING? How very EVE of you! :biggrin:
    • Nice variance in locales.
    • I didn't like it at first but auto-looting is actually pretty convenient.
    • Weather.
    • I imagine guild-related stuff is also really great. I mean, why wouldn't they be?
    • The 3 instances I'm allowed to do have been neat little loot pinatas that are quick and simple enough and usually give a tangible reward.
    • The waypoint/crystal system is great. Not too world-shrinking but doesn't prohibit exploring by making long journeys too long.

Negatives:
    • First, the big one; Sub. I just don't know if I'm capable of enjoying a monthly sub anymore. It has repeatedly tainted the fun of all but 3 other MMO's I've ever played. This might not be an exception (but maybe it will?)
    • I hate to be that guy but I really don't like the graphics much. Too flat and lifeless.
    • One class can be anything? but now I can't transfer stuff between alts because apparently I'll never decide my main doesn't look good in archer gear?
    • Seriously, NO SHARED BANK? Guild Wars 2 has ruined me...
    • Quests are, too put it politely, pretty damn boring. And the story is inane so far, to say the least.
    • FATEs seem utterly pointless, at least up to level 20. Apparently I need them for a shit-ton of a currency to afford a chocobo mount? Sounds pretty grindy...
    • I've played two classes (Archer and Lancer) and both have almost identical combat. 1,2,3,4,1,2,1,2,3,1,2,1,2,3,4 etc. The only difference is in range. Hope other classes are more varied.

I've probably missed a bunch of smaller good and bad stuff but they pretty much balance out.

Anyone know of a good place I can go to get a feel for max level? Videos, testimonials etc? I know an expac is coming out but I'm sure the core of the end-game won't change too drastically so anything current will do.

Addressing your negatives:

Subs: You're going to have to trust the testimonial from a lot of people in this thread that the subscriptions are worth it. You will get a bunch of content every 3 months like clockwork. No 9-12 month gap of no content here, plus the 'tocs' of quality of life patches in between the big 'tic' content patches.

Graphics: Personal preference. I find them to be gorgeous.

Main doesn't look good in archer gear? Glamours at 50. And the low level standard stuff is always going to look a bit tacky. Just keep at it. There's also the dungeon 'set' gear which have unique looks. Again, trust me when I say that there's no shortage of options if you're concerned about playing pretty pretty princess dress ups.

Shared bank: 4 retainers (2 extra for ~ $2 a month extra) and knowing what to hold onto and what to ditch; you don't really need that much storage space even if you're a pack rat with 340+ inventory slots dedicated to gear for glamours, have all classes at 50 and you're a full end-game crafter. Plus the armoury system giving you some 300 inventory spaces for gear... And, alts aren't really a necessity because of the armoury system. You get invested in your character.

Main scenario quests pick up as you get closer to 30. It's a slow burn and you're not that trusted as a character just yet. As for the zone side quests, they're just that. Side quests. Filler materials while you're patching in time while waiting for the main scenario to kick back in.

FATEs are additional battle content. They're there to break up the grinding monotony and offer alternatives to fetch questsmuch like how leves are there to give short focused sessions of exp...

The game is designed so that anyone, especially those who don't have a background in MMOs to get in and start playing and learning. Every single class starts off with a very limited core selection of abilities. You will learn new ones at the appropriate times and a lot of them will change how you approach combat as you get them. For anyone with MMO experience, the 2.5s GCD plus a very small selection of abilities initially will feel excruciatingly slow and boring. Stick with it, you're still in the tutorial training wheel stages where you're learning the fundamental core of the class. When you're dealing with the GCD ability rotations plus slotting in off-GCD buffs and extra damage abilities plus dealing with mechanics, you're not going to be blindly mashing a button.
    Archer and Lancer are probably the worst examples of the early classes. Archer doesn't pick up for a very long time and Lancer until 26 ignores the 2 ability combo chain 90% of the time.
    To be fair, most of the classes only really pick up around level 25-26. Some kick in around 30-32, others still at 38-40. Every single one, though drastically changes when you hit 50 and get the keystone job abilities as well as the level 50s.

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The only reason to have an alt in this game is basically for "shits n' giggles".

One character being able to do everything isn't part of the game just for fun. There are legitimate pros to leveling up other classes and gaining access to their abilities. This is made all the more apparent with crafting classes, but every combat class can be made better by one or two abilities from other classes. Big one that springs to mind is leveling BLM to get Swiftcast for your WHM.

Another thing, no joke, when you hit level 50 you've really only done, like, a 1/3rd of the game.

There is an insane amount of content in the game currently. As mentioned the money from your sub is well spent. Every three months you get a large update that most MMOs would only have once a year, if that.

In between that are a bunch of smaller patches that can add all sorts of things. For instance the whole wedding ceremony thing they randomly added in a small patch. They basically said, "Oh yeah by the way we added this, enjoy." And it wasn't something they half assed either.

I've been playing MMOs since Everquest first came out and never in that time have I played one that had such high quality content patches on such a regular (and short) basis.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    MaouMaou Registered User regular

If not, here it is!

img1_l.png
    Y'shtola will be representing FF14 in Dissidia.

S-E should have scrap Dissidia and go FF-XIV Ultimate Fight instead.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    For me the trouble with a sub is not that it's not "worth it" but that it sort of ties you to the game. You can't just dip in and out as you feel like it. Want to play a bit on a weekend or spend a few evenings working toward some goal? That's a full month's sub please. Then subsequently you feel almost obligated to play to get your money's worth.

It is alright if you feel like playing on a near daily basis, but overall it is does not feel as nice once you have played a quality game that gives you the freedom to play as you like.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    MaouMaou Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    For me the trouble with a sub is not that it's not "worth it" but that it sort of ties you to the game. You can't just dip in and out as you feel like it. Want to play a bit on a weekend or spend a few evenings working toward some goal? That's a full month's sub please. Then subsequently you feel almost obligated to play to get your money's worth.

It is alright if you feel like playing on a near daily basis, but overall it is does not feel as nice once you have played a quality game that gives you the freedom to play as you like.

Pay a sub and become a man of one game.
    $13 per month = Approximately $169 per year for 13 x 13 since 1 month sub is around 30 days and 365 days per year.
    Or you can 10x 75% games during Steam Black Friday Sale with the same amount of monies.

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular

They do have options for game time cards and crysta to use for subscrptions so you could buy just $5 or $10 dollars worth of time. I am not sure how much you would need for just an activation for just a weekend but that way you'd get some time in a month to play but not worry about next month having money withdrawn from a credit card if you feel you wouldn't be back for a few weeks.

I'm not sure who all plays with us that does such a thing that you could ask some questions about.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The content they drop every three months like clockwork is no small thing. The quality and sheer breadth of those patches is staggering. Literally no other game does this. The ending cutscene for ARR is nearly an hour and a half long, fully voiced (well, 95% voiced). Hell, the even the "small" patches during those three months provide more content then the content patches for most any other MMO I've played.

The expansion dropping in June is adding at least as much content as the original ARR release and I can not think of a single MMO expansion that did that.

Not even WoW during its heyday provided this level of regular/quality content drops.

Different strokes and all that. I don't play every day, mainly just weekends, but knowing that my sub is being used to fantastic effect makes me not care about it. Hell, I spend $13 a month on a sub for this and I almost feel guilty about paying so little. Out of all the years I've been playing MMOs, out of all the MMOs I've played this is easily the first time I felt like the Devs were really going above and beyond to make sure I had fun and continued to have fun. And to me, that is worth the price of admission.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Jakarrd wrote: »

They do have options for game time cards and crysta to use for subscrptions so you could buy just $5 or $10 dollars worth of time. I am not sure how much you would need for just an activation for just a weekend but that way you'd get some time in a month to play but not worry about next month having money withdrawn from a credit card if you feel you wouldn't be back for a few weeks.

I'm not sure who all plays with us that does such a thing that you could ask some questions about.
    You can buy Crysta in varying amounts, but Crysta is only 'spent' in month blocks. That said, it's not a subscription if you don't want it to be. You can totally just buy a month and then skip a month if you feel like you're not going to have enough time to play.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.