As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Never count out Touchdown Tom

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    U7qUA8o.png
    No. 4chan bad.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    jamaal lewis had to auction off a superbowl ring. cocaine is pretty expensive after all

• Options
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000469450/article/panthers-greg-hardy-has-domestic-violence-charges-dismissed

ayayay. not good considering he was already convicted and requested a trial by jury. I guess he only did it to work out a settlement.

• Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000469450/article/panthers-greg-hardy-has-domestic-violence-charges-dismissed

ayayay. not good considering he was already convicted and requested a trial by jury. I guess he only did it to work out a settlement.

She didn't show, does this mean he paid her off?

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    cornell wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »

She didn't show, does this mean he paid her off?
    Almost certainly.

• Options
    more on incognito as well from pagula
    "I personally met with Richie, along with Doug Whaley, Rex Ryan and Kim regarding an opportunity to earn a spot on the Buffalo Bills roster. Obviously, we all discussed Richie's past experience in the NCAA and NFL. We are convinced that Richie is prepared to move forward and has and will continue to take the necessary steps to improve himself as a person and a teammate. Following discussion with the rest of the coaching staff, we as an organization will provide him with the opportunity to do so."

so we'll see how that pans out

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Ron Rivera wants Greg Hardy back

weeeelp

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Someone smack Ron Rivera on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.

• Options
    yeah second chances are one thing

seeing no repercussion for violently assaulting a woman is another totally different thing

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I mean obviously the dude did something terrible and all but the charges were dropped, I don't know if it's fair to blacklist him.

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    He wasn't acquitted, it's very fair to blacklist him.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I mean obviously the dude did something terrible and all but the charges were dropped, I don't know if it's fair to blacklist him.

There's a pretty substantial difference between "the charges were dropped" and "was acquitted in a court of law," especially since the former is real easy to accomplish through nefarious means.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    not to mention as I said before he was convicted in a trial by judge

Jars on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I mean should mike vick have been blacklisted? Beyond rape and murder I don't like the idea of people who either have served time or had charges dropped being blacklisted. Just rubs me the wrong way

• Options
    Either way ron Rivera isn't going to go out and say No Thanks Fuck That Guy so I guess it's a moot point

• Options
    yeah sure

I mean rapey's first encounter with the law was super shady on the part of the women, if he hadn't gotten into trouble again I would have been like okay that woman was just crazy. but then in his second run in you had charges being mysteriously dropped, a cop resigning, and hey wait this guy is a rapist

for hardy he was convicted, and then all of a sudden charges are suddenly dropped? not buying it. even if he isn't blacklisted he should be in prison. vick did less and went to jail.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    I mean should mike vick have been blacklisted? Beyond rape and murder I don't like the idea of people who either have served time or had charges dropped being blacklisted. Just rubs me the wrong way

Mike Vick spent TWO YEARS IN JAIL and potentially would have never played football ever again.

• Options

Mike Vick spent TWO YEARS IN JAIL and potentially would have never played football ever again.

Yes that's kind of my point. After he got out, it would have been pretty fucked up if he were blacklisted.

I'm not trying to defend what Greg hardy did, just saying he should have another chance, especially if he shows some remorse

• Options
    I don't disagree with you, but for hardy he isn't seeing... well, anything. he's getting a free pass unless the league hands down a suspension on him.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    why

why should he have another chance to be made even richer

playing football isn't an inalienable right.

letting someone who went to prison play again is one thing, they went through the system etc. Letting someone who manipulated the justice system so they don't have any negative impact on their lives at all is entirely another.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    we can use incognito here to compare the two. incognito was suspended for half a season, and out of the league for an entire season because no one would sign him. and now that he's back it's on a lower paying one year contract. that's substantial

hardy didn't play, but he still got paid. and now his coach wants him immediately back. that's fucked up!

Jars on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Where are you seeing that Rivera said he wanted Hardy back? The only thing I'm finding is that the Panthers will not be pursuing him in free agency regardless of the outcome. Last I checked Jerry Richardson wasn't too keen on bringing him back.

• Options
    Xehalus wrote: »
    Ron Rivera wants Greg Hardy back

weeeelp

blame xehalus

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I don't know man I mean on the one hand he was convicted but then again he basically appealed and upon appeal all charges were dropped so it's like he was never convicted in the first place but then again he wasn't acquitted they just stopped trying to prove him guilty so that doesn't mean he's innocent but then again innocent until proven guilty and if charges were dropped that means probably there at least in theory should be reasonable doubt but then again who knows but what about the team and also what about the team? fuck the team what about the girl that was raped

....yeah I don't know.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    I don't know man I mean on the one hand he was convicted but then again he basically appealed and upon appeal all charges were dropped so it's like he was never convicted in the first place but then again he wasn't acquitted they just stopped trying to prove him guilty so that doesn't mean he's innocent but then again innocent until proven guilty and if charges were dropped that means probably there at least in theory should be reasonable doubt but then again who knows but what about the team and also what about the team? fuck the team what about the girl that was raped

....yeah I don't know.

the girl refused to bring testimony, that is why charges were dropped. I'll give you three guesses as to why she refused.

• Options
    (he paid her money)

• Options
    edited February 2015
    also the woman was not raped, it was a domestic violence case.
    Earlier in the morning the accuser testified that she was assaulted by Hardy at his apartment after a night of drinking. She also said Hardy threatened to kill her and put his hands around her neck.

"He looked me in my eyes and he told me he was going to kill me," said the accuser, a 24-year-old cocktail waitress in downtown Charlotte. "I was so scared I wanted to die. When he loosened his grip slightly, I said just, `Do it. Kill me."

The accuser said she had used cocaine on the night of the incident and had been drinking.

She described Hardy as jealous and controlling, mentioning several times that Hardy didn't allow her do some things because he often paid her rent. She said she didn't immediately give police a statement out of fear of retribution.

"He had told me in past if I took food out of his family's mouth he was going to kill me," the accuser said.

Langly on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Langly wrote: »

....yeah I don't know.

the girl refused to bring testimony, that is why charges were dropped. I'll give you three guesses as to why she refused.

1) $
    2) $$
    3) $$$

I mean I know why charges were dropped. I was just sort of letting loose a stream of consciousness on the whole thing. Flatly, it's fucked. I want to be like, "well it's blatantly obvious she got paid off so now he's gonna get his conviction overturned." but on the other hand I'm like, "okay yes but "not guilty because the system is fucked still means not guilty."

Call it the "better 100 guilty men go free" principle, I guess. Fuck man just I don't know.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Justice can't be bought...but injustice? all that takes is a couple years at an NFL salary.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options

....yeah I don't know.

1) $
    2) $$
    3) $$$

I mean I know why charges were dropped. I was just sort of letting loose a stream of consciousness on the whole thing. Flatly, it's fucked. I want to be like, "well it's blatantly obvious she got paid off so now he's gonna get his conviction overturned." but on the other hand I'm like, "okay yes but "not guilty because the system is fucked still means not guilty."

Call it the "better 100 guilty men go free" principle, I guess. Fuck man just I don't know.

I don't care that he is not going to jail, I mean I do in principle but that isn't what people are talking about. I think the NFL in general and the Panthers specifically should not bring him back on the team. They can do that for whatever reason they want. He will be a free agent this year, they have no contractual obligation to keep him.

• Options
    she was reportedly covered in bruises from head to toe

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    One of the unfortunate things here is that it's hard to blame coaches for wanting these players back considering that their jobs could be in jeopardy if they don't win games.

That doesn't make it right, but it might speak to another issue the NFL has.

• Options
    Reported by whom? Not saying it didn't happen but being a Panthers fan and keeping up with the whole situation, I never saw anything like that written anywhere.

• Options
    something I remembered reading back when the case was fresh. maybe I'm incorrect

• Options
    then you didn't read most of the reporting I guess
    At the time of the incident, WSOCTV reported Holder’s account of the incident:

Greg Hardy attacked me in his apartment. Hardy picked me up and threw me into the tile tub area in his bathroom. I have bruises from head to toe, including my head, neck, back, shoulders, arms, legs, elbow and feet. Hardy pulled me from the tub by my hair, screaming at me that he was going to kill me, break my arms and other threats that I completely believe. He dragged me across the bathroom and out into the bedroom. Hardy choked me with both hands around my throat while I was lying on the floor. Hardy picked me up over his head and threw me onto a couch covered in assault rifles and/or shotguns. I landed on those weapons. Hardy bragged that all of those assault rifles were loaded. Landing on those weapons bruised my neck and back. Hardy screamed for his administrative assistant (Sammy Curtis) to come into the room and hold me down. Hardy and Curtis then took me into the living room area. I wasn’t nearly strong or fast enough to escape. I begged them to let me go and I wouldn’t tell anyone what he did. They took me out into the hall, pushed me down and went back inside his apartment. I crawled to the elevator and ran into CMPD.

• Options
    Hardy's defense was, of course, that she in fact assaulted him.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

....yeah I don't know.

1) $
    2) $$
    3) $$$

I don't care that he is not going to jail, I mean I do in principle but that isn't what people are talking about. I think the NFL in general and the Panthers specifically should not bring him back on the team. They can do that for whatever reason they want. He will be a free agent this year, they have no contractual obligation to keep him.

Yeah I mean...connecting the dots here his victim likely chose a buttload of money for herself over sending the creep to jail, and that is her decision to make. After all a life of luxury at your attackers expense might be better revenge than sending them to jail in her mind. But that doesn't mean the NFL or any team in it should allow said creep back in their building.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    then you didn't read most of the reporting I guess
    At the time of the incident, WSOCTV reported Holder’s account of the incident:

Greg Hardy attacked me in his apartment. Hardy picked me up and threw me into the tile tub area in his bathroom. I have bruises from head to toe, including my head, neck, back, shoulders, arms, legs, elbow and feet. Hardy pulled me from the tub by my hair, screaming at me that he was going to kill me, break my arms and other threats that I completely believe. He dragged me across the bathroom and out into the bedroom. Hardy choked me with both hands around my throat while I was lying on the floor. Hardy picked me up over his head and threw me onto a couch covered in assault rifles and/or shotguns. I landed on those weapons. Hardy bragged that all of those assault rifles were loaded. Landing on those weapons bruised my neck and back. Hardy screamed for his administrative assistant (Sammy Curtis) to come into the room and hold me down. Hardy and Curtis then took me into the living room area. I wasn’t nearly strong or fast enough to escape. I begged them to let me go and I wouldn’t tell anyone what he did. They took me out into the hall, pushed me down and went back inside his apartment. I crawled to the elevator and ran into CMPD.

I was thinking he meant that it was something directly observed and reported upon by another party, not her account. I'm well aware of what she says happened.

• Options
    Greg Jennings seems...pretty great
    "My wife," he said, when asked about the last person he texted. "I asked her how her day is going because she is having an event today."

Then he admitted he's a liar, liar, pants on fire.

"I'm trying not to sound cheesy, because actually the last thing I texted was a smiley face, another kind of smiley face, another smiley face, the little heart eyes and then the blowing the kiss," he admitted. "That was really my last thing."

It takes a big man to admit that he may have an emoji problem.

Jennings also revealed that the last time he was embarrassed was also Internet lingo related.

"I know, my wife is like, 'Men don't use LOL.' And I'm like, 'Uh, I just used that yesterday,'" he said sheepishly. "That's probably the last time I was embarrassed. I'm like, 'Babe, I LOL you all the time. Do I need to stop?'"

Never stop making us LOL, Greg. You're thumbs up, OK fingers, winky face, smiley face in our book.

This discussion has been closed.