As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[INVASION] Hydra's favorite boardgame.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    (I'm color blind. Can someone tell me my faction color?)

Purple

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    sorry to hear about that hedgethorn. If I may ask, what does it ''appear'' to be for you? its not blending in with the black and blue background is it? do you need me to change the color up some?

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Don't worry, the map is perfectly readable. It's just that North America and Africa basically look the same color to me (as do Europe and Asia). I knew Africa was either blue or purple, but had no clue which one.

One question about the map: which countries is Arabia adjacent to? Does it border five different territories (Ethopia, North Africa, Central European States, Russian Influence Zone, and Uzbekistan)?

• Options
    Yes, Arabia boarders 5 territories. I had to redo the drawing a few times to get it to fit properly and have enough space to show that stuff is connected.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    South America Coalition
    Initial Troop Deployment: 1 in Argentina, 1 in Bolivia, 1 in Brazil, 1 in Venezuela.
    Ghin Mercenaries: Hiring Ghin Researchers and attaching them to Peru.

@JusticeforPluto‌

Kirindal on
  • Options
    Ok, South America has purchased Ghin Researchers to Peru for $3m, South America has $1m, left in the bank

Ghin Black Market
    Rogue Clones $1m Discard this card at any time and roll a die. If you roll a + or =, destroy one invader unit in any of your territories. This card cannot be used to remove drop ships.
    Fear Hunter Hybrids $2m Attach this card to one of your territories. While this card is attached the territory gains +1 Defense (the shield on the territory). If the territory is Overrun, discard this card.

@JusticeforPluto‌ also needs to deploy his 6 troops

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Are sea connections considered "adjacent" for spawning placements? Could a dropship in eastern US say cause a placement in west europe?

• Options
    yes, the orange lines represent adjacency between areas separated by water.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Hmmm...seems like the game wants to promote a "me first" paranoid co-op element, sort of like the invading players in Fortress America, but the mechanics don't reflect that unless I'm missing something. If a coalition is defeated before their chronos project is completed, all players lose and only the surviving players at the end win. That gives coalitions with the later projects a huge survival advantage since a coalition that has completed its project is essentially expendable and thus the player with the 5th project is never expendable and the one with the 1st project is expendable after the first 1/5th of the game.

I mean it looks fun as a pure co-op game but the self preservation aspect doesn't seem to mesh. It's like how technically the invader with the most points in Fortress America is the true winner but by design the west coast invader is always going to have the most points.

• Options
    You're right and a lot of people mention that. I've always tried to include something along the lines of ''you don't want to be left out do you?"
    Yea, south america gets the short end of the stick and can technically be sacrificed after their cronos project, but they also produce a lot of material compared to North America, Europe and Asia, which leads to more tech, which helps against events.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    "Sorry, can't hear you. Too busy being the key to the final project. NOW GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY!"

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Okay then, got a game plan.

Europe

2 soldiers to Union of Central European States
    2 soldiers to Russian Influence Zone

Lets shoot for everyone contributing to the South America project this turn and next? Or we can try for turn one if anyone really wants to. I can maybe give $1 this turn if we want to shoot for this turn or next.

Edit: and I am actually green not blue.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    What happens if we destroy a drop ship?

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    A dropship can only be destroyed if there are no other invader units in the territory. If you destroy the dropship, you can increase the value of any one of your dials by one. (that's food, oil, ore, or MIC. Money is via little cardboard pieces, so you can't get $1m)

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Or right, time to get our trade on. Offering 1 MIC for a research

I think we should wait until next turn for the project

• Options
    You're right and a lot of people mention that. I've always tried to include something along the lines of ''you don't want to be left out do you?"
    Yea, south america gets the short end of the stick and can technically be sacrificed after their cronos project, but they also produce a lot of material compared to North America, Europe and Asia, which leads to more tech, which helps against events.

Yeah, I do expect SA & Africa to have the lowest survival percentages... but the late game project regions oil/ore income is abysmal. NA+Eur+Asia is 4 oil, 4 ore, which is what SA or africa pulls in by themselves. It might matter at the clutch "oh god just two projects left, keep asia/NA alive at all costs!" point

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    If I'm understanding the rules right, it looks like the difficulty will significantly increase after the 3rd project, so it's probably best to not rush project research too much. But it will take two turns to move Cronos from North America to Africa (or vice versa) to finish both stage 2 projects, so the absolute earliest we could complete the 3rd stage is during the 5th turn, if I'm not mistaken.

I want to see what my options are for the black market this turn, but I might be willing to contribute some money to Kirindal to finish stage 1 this turn, just so we can get a third merc card in the black market.

• Options
    Yes, doing the 3rd project should probably be delayed until one of the other devastation conditions is about to force it

Actually, the africa project increases his move speed (I think?) so he should be able to do SA->Africa->NA in one turn each (unless a dropship is in his way)

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Okay, so the conditions for entering the devastation wave broken down are:
    Finish the 3rd project
    End of 5th turn
    72 kills

We then have 6 devastation turns to finish.

Hmm

Phyphor on
  • Options
    So, we really only have one gap turn. If we skip the project now we have to go africa first, so we can go directly to NA. Then, we could get screwed by a dropship in one from (north africa, west europe, east US) and (brazil, venez, mexico)

Can we spare the cash now?

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    3 in Canada
    3 in Mexico

Buy Rouge Clones.

Who's next?

• Options

South America has purchased Ghin Researchers to Peru for $3m, South America has $1m, left in the bank
    North America has purchased Rogue Clones for $1m, North America has $3m, left in the bank

New Card in the black market.
    Ghin Black Market
    Fear Hunter Hybrids $2m Attach this card to one of your territories. While this card is attached the territory gains +1 Defense (the shield on the territory). If the territory is Overrun, discard this card.
    Rogue Clones $1m Discard this card at any time and roll a die. If you roll a + or =, destroy one invader unit in any of your territories. This card cannot be used to remove drop ships.

@Void Slayer to make a black market purchase

also, don't forget to make those trades, if'n you want to for research and such.

I'll get a new map up soon so you all can plan your movements as well

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    I think you're missing the other initial troops too
    Place a number of invader units in each dead zone equal to the zone’s Defense value.

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    I think you're missing the other initial troops too
    Place a number of invader units in each dead zone equal to the zone’s Defense value.

Well there goes my initial strategy of getting bonus resources in Arabia and Australia!

• Options
    Anybody willing to trade away a research token in exchange for oil/ore/MIC?

• Options
    Okay looks like we wont be able to finish the project this turn with Kirindal only having $1 left.

I can probably fund most of the cash next turn though.

Buy Rogue Clones for $1

• Options
    We do only need $6, which is 1 from each of us and 2 from one. However, this turn is very annoying since we also really need mercs and initial research

• Options
    I can trade food and research tokens.. next turn.

• Options
    South America has purchased Ghin Researchers to Peru for $3m, South America has $1m, left in the bank
    North America has purchased Rogue Clones for $1m, North America has $3m, left in the bank
    Europe has purchased Rogue Clones for $1m, Europe has $3m, left in the bank

Ghin Black Market
    Warrior Clones $1m When resolving a battle in one of your territories, you can discard this card to gain +1 Power for all rolls in one territory.

@Phyphor to make a black market purchase

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Buy Warrior Clones, Research mil tech 1

ASIA
    Command and Control: 5 soldiers
    Power Level: 1
    Terror: 0
    BASE INCOME: $12m, 8 FOOD, 2 OIL, 2 ORE
    ACTUAL INCOME: $12m, 8 FOOD, 2 OIL, 2 ORE

RESOURCES:
    $1m, 2 FOOD, 0 OIL, 0 ORE
    MIC: 40 points (cost 8FOOD / upkeep)

Territory Status:
    Siberia, secured
    Uzbekistan Alliance, secured
    China, RESEARCH, CAPITOL, secured
    India, RESEARCH, secured
    Indonesian Refugee Zone, secured

Tech Levels:
    Military Equipment (Tier 1)
    Social Programs
    Communications (Tier 1)
    Biological Sciences

Terror Track:
    10, -1soldier , -5FOOD , -$4m
    9, -1soldier , -4FOOD , -$4m
    8, -1soldier , -4FOOD , -$3m
    7, -3FOOD , -$3m
    6, -3FOOD , -$3m
    5, -2FOOD , -$2m
    4, -2FOOD , -$2m
    3, -1FOOD , -$1m
    2, -1FOOD , -$1m
    Notes:
    4A. Cronos Project - Subject Screening
    Cost 6FOOD 10MIC. Can only be funded after Psychotronic Amplifier Trials. Cronos must be controlled by Asia
    Shuffle the discarded Ghin Mercenary cards and put them at the bottom of the Ghin Mercenary deck. Reshuffle the Ghin Merc deck whenever it runs out.
    Cronos can move through Overrun territories and dead zones.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I thought we didnt research until after the close of buying mercs?

• Options
    Technically, no, but we don't strictly have to go in-order there

• Options
    you can research and trade whenever you want (to kinda help the process along).

Its just that certain things *have* to be done in order, Like who purchases mercs when. You can do whatever else for research or the Cronos Research, just remember that Income step comes *after* all of that.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    Asia has purchased Warrior Clones for $1m, and Researched Mil Tech 1 for $2m 2oil 2ore 2research, Asia has $1m left in the bank.

Ghin Black Market
    Warrior Clones $1m When resolving a battle in one of your territories, you can discard this card to gain +1 Power for all rolls in one territory.

@hedgethorn to make a black market purchase

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    If we still have enough money after research to do the project I think we should

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Africa purchases Warrior Clones.
    Africa researches Biological Sciences level 1.

I have $1m left to donate to the project.

Africa Console:
    AFRICA
    Starting Assets: Social Programs Tier 1
    Command and Control: 4 soldiers
    Power Level: 0
    BASE INCOME:
    $9m , 5 FOOD , 3 OIL , 4 ORE
    ACTUAL INCOME:
    $9m , 5 FOOD , 3 OIL , 4 ORE

BANKED INCOME:
    $1m , 1 FOOD , 4 OIL , 4 ORE ,
    MIC: 32 points (cost 7FOOD / upkeep)

Territory Status:
    Nigerian League, secured
    Dominion of Ethiopia, secured
    Central African Accord, CAPITOL, secured
    Kenyan Federation, secured
    South African Influence Zone, secured

Tech Levels:
    Military Equipment
    Social Programs (Tier 1)
    Communications
    Biological Sciences (Tier 1)

Terror Track:
    10, -1soldier , -4FOOD , -$4m
    9, -1soldier , -4FOOD , -$3m
    8, -3FOOD , -$3m
    7, -3FOOD , -$2m
    6, -2FOOD , -$2m
    5, -2FOOD , -$1m
    4, -1FOOD , -$1m
    3, -1FOOD

Notes:
    2B. Cronos Project - Recharge the Fusion Core
    Cost. 1OIL 2ORE $6m Can only be funded after Sanctioned by World Conclave. Cronos must be controlled by Africa

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Asia has purchased Warrior Clones for $1m, and Researched Mil Tech 1 for $2m 2oil 2ore 2research, Asia has $1m left in the bank.
    Africa has purchased Warrior Clones for $1m, and Researched Bio Sci 1 for $2m 1food 1research, Africa has $1m left in the bank.

Ghin Black Market
    (yes, that was 3 Warrior Clones Drawn)

Ok so for the Development Phase we are at:
    1.Ghin Mercs Done with this step.
    2.Unit Deployment Everyone is at max troops.
    3.Research
    4.Cronos Project
    5.Income

Just need South America, North America, and Europe to decide on their research, if any.
    Also, need confirmed trades, if any, from everyone.
    Also, also, South America to fund Cronos Project if they can scrape the money together to do so.

Give me a !Phase Complete in red and we can go on to the Warfare Phase.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Options
    KirindalKirindal Registered User regular
    Research Phase: None
    Chronos Project: Pouring 2 Oil, 1 Ore, & $1 Million into the Project, just need $5 Million more to cover the rest.

• Options
    I'll put $1m in

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Research military equipment tier 1, send $1 to South America if I can.

Can multiple people send resources to the same person?

No remaining resources so !Phase Complete

Void Slayer on