As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, January 12, 2015 - Fulmination Re: Culmination

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PA Comic] Monday, January 12, 2015 - Fulmination Re: Culmination

Fulmination Re: Culmination

Fulmination Re: Culmination

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/01/12

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Are... they upset at the idea of people who have fun and drink together? Or are they making fun of the the people who get upset at that? I honestly can't tell with this one.

Coors part is good tho.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This is a continuation of the "Halo is the game for the jocks that bullied us in high school" thing.

I liked the one where they're in a Gamestop and Gabe shouts that he needs a teacher or something.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I need context! What is this 'brodown' at the end of a match?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Excessive celebration? Maybe this is a well masked sports analogy?

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    That's right, Coors is a curse word. Keep that ****ing language to yourself.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    This is a continuation of the "Halo is the game for the jocks that bullied us in high school" thing.

I liked the one where they're in a Gamestop and Gabe shouts that he needs a teacher or something.

I don't think so. The game itself apparently has some sort of post match celebration thing. Can't find any video though.

Either way I'm not sure what's wrong with what they're complaining about in the comic.

Quid on
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Real bros hand their bros a Shiner Bock.

• Options
    LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    @Quid, I'm assuming it's just poking fun at the whole "sports/fps only" type gamers and how they're usually college/jock bros. The whole idea of adding a mode in the game to "talk about how awesome things were" seems a little weird.

Linktm on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I assumed it was the juxtaposition of "killing more people than your team to win" gameplay and "woo, yeah, fun times!" framing.

Unless there's a fiction surrounding the deathmatches, like it's a training exercise or something.

Basically, a less extreme version of this one:
    262778641_NvvPV-1050x10000.jpg

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    dysonsFeardysonsFear Registered User new member
    It's not poking fun at sports; it's an arena sport. The beta itself says as much.

• Options
    Talyn RahlTalyn Rahl Registered User regular
    I've got to ask... I've seen it in a few places and being a brit and not really a beer drinker I don't get it.

What's so bad about Coors Light :p?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Talyn Rahl wrote: »
    I've got to ask... I've seen it in a few places and being a brit and not really a beer drinker I don't get it.

4.2% ABV I'm assuming. It all tastes like bitterness to me anyway though.

• Options
    FeefafoozleFeefafoozle Registered User regular
    "It all tastes like bitterness to me anyway though."
    I am guessing you have never tried a Belgian beer.

• Options
    "It all tastes like bitterness to me anyway though."
    I am guessing you have never tried a Belgian beer.

Alcohol of any type is bitter to me. The only thing that can even slightly mask this bitterness is fruity soda and even that needs a push with sweet n' sour mix or grenadine.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

4.2% ABV I'm assuming.

You assume wrong. There is no correlation between alcohol content and quality. There are great beers with lower ABV than Coors, and there are great beers with 10% ABV.

Coors just tastes like day-old piss.

• Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    @Quid:
    Seems like they are questioning the verisimilitude of the game, in-context, and stating that it takes them "out of the game" to see what they think is a display of sports bros having sports bro party time after what would be a harrowing life or death situation.

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    "Real" gamers vs. "bro" gamers? Really, PA? How quaint.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Words that do not appear in this strip

real

bro

gamer

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    for people not aware, at the end of halo 5 matches you see your team of four spartan-armor guys nodding and high fiving, such as one might expect in a situations of minor congratulation or among observers of a sporting event

maybe a fist bump is featured, I don't remember

as 'brodowns' go it is fairly lackluster, to the extent that one might even venture that proper 'bros' would object to its characterization as such

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Unless there's a fiction surrounding the deathmatches, like it's a training exercise or something.

That's actually exactly what it is.

• Options
    WarforgedRusWarforgedRus Registered User regular
    There is DEEP Coors hate out there. I was chemistry tutoring two hotel restuarant management majors who had a wall of beer cans in their dorm. I made the mistake of volunteering to give them my roommate's 100 Coors' cans under his bed and one pulled a gun out of a drawer and requested that I never refer to Coors in their presence. Gun wasn't pointed at me, but the point was delivered.

Personally I think most wide availability beers are pretty swill tasting.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    i don't approve of the geek snobbery in this comic

i do approve of the beer snobbery in this comic

i am conflicted

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I know nothing about Halo so if I'm hella wrong WHOOPS.

But my takeaway is that the celebration doesn't really fit the story line/characters. And they are pointing out how the multi-player component is so distant from the single player game that it is carrying itself differently.

• Options
    Wait that's it?

That's not even a brodown! That's just celebrating.

• Options

To call Coors bad would be admitting it tasted like something. It's just one of the widely available beers in the U.S. and is basically near flavorless beer.

The good news is both they and Budweiser continue to lose ground to better beer.

• Options
    CovarrCovarr Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Wha... Coors may not be good beer, or even passable beer, but as cheap trash alcohol goes, it's the best of the worst. I'll take it over Miller or Bud any day.

Covarr on
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I know nothing about Halo so if I'm hella wrong WHOOPS.

But my takeaway is that the celebration doesn't really fit the story line/characters. And they are pointing out how the multi-player component is so distant from the single player game that it is carrying itself differently.

Going off that video though they're just in an arena shooting at each other for fun. I'm not sure what part of the story it's conflicting with since there is none for that portion.
    Covarr wrote: »
    Wha... Coors may not be good beer, or even passable beer, but as cheap trash alcohol goes, it's the best of the worst. I'll take it over Miller or Bud any day.

They're identical.

Quid on
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Before Reach introduced other Spartans, wasn't Halo multiplayer essentially a bunch of Master Chiefs shooting each other?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Before Reach introduced other Spartans, wasn't Halo multiplayer essentially a bunch of Master Chiefs shooting each other?
    You could do different colors ever since CE, 2 added secondary colors and playable Sangheili, and 3 added armor customization.

• Options
    WhiskersmgooWhiskersmgoo Registered User regular
    Spartan 4's are adult volunteers from the military, they aren't going to be like Chief, so just look at the current military, it's perfectly reasonable that the soldiers in the future are just as meat headed as the current lot of dude-bros currently serving in any armed forces around the world and would therefore "brodown" after winning a game.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    You could do different colors ever since CE, 2 added secondary colors and playable Sangheili, and 3 added armor customization.

But in appearance they are still basically Master Chief. I get that there were other Spartans, but they didn't show up in the first three games and there wasn't really a lore explanation for multiplayer matches (as far as I recall).
    Spartan 4's are adult volunteers from the military, they aren't going to be like Chief, so just look at the current military, it's perfectly reasonable that the soldiers in the future are just as meat headed as the current lot of dude-bros currently serving in any armed forces around the world and would therefore "brodown" after winning a game.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

i really don't understand this mentality of "it tastes crap but its cheap that's why I drink it"

you are not OBLIGED to drink beer no matter what

i'd sooner drink something else like soda if the only thing available was cheap beer.

• Options
    PAX_SkeletorPAX_Skeletor Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

i really don't understand this mentality of "it tastes crap but its cheap that's why I drink it"

you are not OBLIGED to drink beer no matter what

i'd sooner drink something else like soda if the only thing available was cheap beer.

Yeah, this.

Given the choice, I'd much rather drink one really nice beer than a six pack of dreck.

When it comes to beer, quality over quantity every time.

• Options
    edited January 2015

Wasn't the whole thing about the armor that only Spartans could wear it because of how much power it could exert on their body and would utterly destroy a regular person? The Reach book went into that, showing how the Spartans had their bones replaced with a ceramic composite and a general replacement upgrade for their entire biological body.

Also I'd rather drink soda than alcohol any day. Show me a fine lager and I will show you a fine Shirley Temple, with extra cherry.

Madican on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    There's some truth in the Halo bro-down. But in all honesty, it's mostly Battlefield/Call of Duty these days.

But before Modern Warfare was a thing, we (in the Army) used to get a shit load of Cat-5 cable, connect all our X-Boxes together, and play Halo 1 all weekend long. We didn't drink beer though, since we only did this on weekends where we couldn't drink because we were on tactical standby. So we replaced alcohol with coffee and stayed up till 5am broing it up and talking shit.

Incidentally, this is also how I came up with the name Mild Confusion! Thanks Halo!

:bro:

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    WhiskersmgooWhiskersmgoo Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Wasn't the whole thing about the armor that only Spartans could wear it because of how much power it could exert on their body and would utterly destroy a regular person? The Reach book went into that, showing how the Spartans had their bones replaced with a ceramic composite and a general replacement upgrade for their entire biological body.

Yeah Spartan 2's, like Chief, were raised from childhood to be genocidal killing machines and given all sorts of augmentations to wear the first versions of the MJOLNIR armour, so it would be weird for them to be broing down as it were.

Then the UNSC realised kidnapping and effectively brainwashing kids wasn't so great so when it came to Spartan 4's they got adult volunteers from the military, gave them some of the drugs, but none of the physical augmentations, and a weaker, more universal armour.

But in appearance they are still basically Master Chief. I get that there were other Spartans, but they didn't show up in the first three games and there wasn't really a lore explanation for multiplayer matches (as far as I recall)

Yeah for 1,2,3 it was just generic multiplayer with no story. With 4 it explained them as being training sims for Spartan 4's and the Spartan Ops stuff had cutscenes going into more detail about the S 4's. I'm assuming it's the same for Halo 5, as I haven't actually played it, but it would make sense for them to carry on with that.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

This is a pretty terrible thing to say dude. All kinds of people serve in the armed forces.

• Options
    Including people who high five!

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Listen brah! Do you bro, brah? If you ya don't bro, then you ain't my brah. Brah?

Brah!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.