As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Charter Oak [Chat]

ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
edited January 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I'm gonna tell you some history.

Ub7vnIn.jpg

So we're not going to talk about Ella T. Grasso, first woman to be elected governor of a state without a husband proceeding her. Nope. Nor are we going to discuss the massive whale statue that this moment is commemorating. Although both should get a write up at some point. We're gonna talk about the history of that desk. Well less about that desk and more about the tree they made that desk out of.

najeJN3.jpg

This majestic white oak is the Charter Oak.

In 1662, it was brought to the attention King Charles the II that Connecticut had never been recognized as a colony. John Winthrop the Younger was serving as governor at the time and so went as a delegation over to England to get that bit of paper work taken care of. Now it was assumed for various reasons the charter of Connecticut would be like all of the others and this wouldn't be a big deal. But Charles liked Winthrop, and he hated the people of New Haven due to them sheltering the Judges who had Charles the first killed and took part in that whole English Revolution. So Winthrop didn't get a charter containing the fundamental orders of Connecticut but those and some expanded powers. Oh and rights to the Colony of New Haven. Now I'm gonna digress for a moment here. You might guess that the people of New Haven didn't care much for this and quite a few of them left. They founded what would become New Jersey. The people of Connecticut still consider this a net good to this day.

So the people of Connecticut are pretty proud of this charter. It's shiny, it's new, and it's better than the charter for Massachusetts Bay Colony. But Charles II saw a bit of a problem forming. New England doesn't really have a staple crop. You can grow a little bit of everything in it but you can't grow a lot of one thing. So they engaged in trade. Also they were a stubborn, independent lot who all disliked each other but hated outsiders more. So he began to form the Dominion of New England which includes most of modern New England except Connecticut. Because he liked Winthrop. But Charles II died and James II took the crown. And he felt the Dominion of New England was a fine idea but it would be better with Connecticut in it.

Now the people of Connecticut are no less stubborn then the rest of New England. We're just better educated with more pleasant manners. But the revoking of the shiny new charter was far too much rudeness to be tolerated. So they ignored it. James II proceeded along and sent Sir Edmund Andros over. And Sir Edmund Andros realized that he was being snubbed by everyone. So he made an ass of himself and passed a bunch of laws that managed to piss everyone off. So the Governor of Connecticut said sure and ignored those laws. So Sir Edmund Andros the Jackass decided to lead a delegation of troops down to Hartford and symbolically seize the charter as he had done with the other colonies.

Now three are three stories as to what happened next. The one that is traditionally accepted is that Andros and the Connecticut delegation meet in a room with the charter on the table. Hours of debate followed when suddenly the room went dark. When the candles were relit, the charter was gone. Joseph Wadsworth had snatched up the charter and fled the room. When the candles were relit, the charter was gone. Hidden in the Charter Oak to prevent to be found in house to house searches. The other stories involve giving Andros fakes of the charter. But those stories have less evidence to support them. Also they have less swashbuckling so we ignore them.

Andros would be overthrown in 1689. And the Charter Oak would stand until 1856 when it got blown down in a storm and it's timber would be used to make a number of objects, including the desk in the Governor's office.

Oh, and when it came time to select symbols used for the state quarters, Connecticut went with:

myaZpen.jpg

Thomamelas on

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Two minutes and change. Acceptable.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    As soon as I saw it was a Thom [chat] I got excited

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    I already chewed through the wires on my cage! You took too long, Thom!

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i feel like i've read this op before

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

Its a glitch in the matrix

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    In the painting, the tree is next to a wooden fence. On the quarter, the tree is next to a stone fence.

... a conspiracy!

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    As soon as I saw it was a Thom [chat] I got excited
    defintely

my [chat] would have been stupid

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    So I believe we were talking about deep-fried pizza burgers in the previous thread.

Gim on
  • Options

Do you read the history thread?

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Do you read the history thread?
    i've been known to read on occasion

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Honestly @desc your very first selection is a great example of why I'm willing to leave tumblr to the tumblists :P

• Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    @Winky‌ well if you're interested in her you should straight up as her out. She obviously likes you on some level. So it either is romantic and woohoo! Or it isn't and you can get on with a sweet new friendship without awkwardness.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Tumblr is pretty great.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    So hey, Planet Fitness is fucking terrible and literally Globogym

For a place that styles itself "anti-Lunk", they sure had the broiest bro working the counter, and I love how the billboards that advertise $10 a month are actually $10 a month plus a $60 "down payment"

...Which actually just a sign-up fee, when I asked the guy about it.

How about a day pass to see if I like the facilities, then? $20 for a day pass.

What's the best way to do this gym sign-up bullshit, then? It's like shopping for a car in the bad old days, apparently

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Can anyone talk about Divinity: Original Sin? Seriously considering it.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

For a place that styles itself "anti-Lunk", they sure had the broiest bro working the counter, and I love how the billboards that advertise $10 a month are actually $10 a month plus a $60 "down payment"

What's the best way to do this gym sign-up bullshit, then? It's like shopping for a car in the bad old days, apparently

What I've found is good is havin a gym at work

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Get a fake ID that says you're under 18, and someone who's willing to pretend to be one of your parents on the phone.

Now you can cancel any time!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Gyms are scams

Gims are also scams

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

gyms are basically the mafia

it p much sucks :\

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Like, none of the gyms around me advertise prices on their website, so if that's the way it's going to be, what's the trick to it?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Get a fake ID that says you're under 18, and someone who's willing to pretend to be one of your parents on the phone.

Now you can cancel any time!

Columbia House Gym

• Options
    Wash wrote: »
    Gyms are scams

Gims are also scams

And most people end up leaving them in disgust after 6 months, too!

• Options
    Like, none of the gyms around me advertise prices on their website, so if that's the way it's going to be, what's the trick to it?

invest in a home gym

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    My gym is my local community centre

Is p sweet

• Options
    Gym have you seen The Ambassador?

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    No, you guys, I don't need to change jobs or spend $1k on an elliptical and a weight set right now, I just need to be less round

• Options
    Man if you're spending 1K on a weight set you're putting the cart before the horse.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular

Pretty much just hit up each gym and find the best deal

I went through all the local big gyms a couple weeks before the new year and decided on LA fitness since it was month to month and didn't have activation fee

IMO though, that 10 dollar a month is a pretty decent deal, even with the 60 activation fee. You might be able to get them to wave it if you haggle, but most places are usually 30 a month, and when you join you have to pay first and last, so for me it came out to 60 anyway.

You're gonna have a hard time finding a better deal than that.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    YMCA is usually less terrible than gyms

• Options
    did i use that right

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Gym have you seen The Ambassador?

I have not, and my goodness that sounds bonkers and dangerous. I shall add it to the queue.

Edit: Which is to say I will not because it is not on Netflix.

Gim on
  • Options
    did i use that right

probably not but who even uses horses anymore

• Options
    No, you guys, I don't need to change jobs or spend $1k on an elliptical and a weight set right now, I just need to be less round

Nobody charges to let you run around the block.

Yet.

We do have a republican congress.

• Options
    if you just want to be less round, eat less, walk more, do some pushups and squats

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    $10 a month is probably the cheapest things will get.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Yes.

Quit your job and live at the ymca

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Gim wrote: »
    Gyms are scams

Gims are also scams

And most people end up leaving them in disgust after 6 months, too!

y'know if we started a Forever Alone club we would stop being Forever Alone

but wait would that then make all of us ineligible to be in our own club

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Chanus wrote: »

Yes.

Quit your job and live at the ymca

It's fun.

• Options
    To stay there, I mean.

This discussion has been closed.